• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

You know I'm right. The framing, the back and forth, the elegance of the duel, the aftermath. It's pure perfection.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How did ancient-ass Obi-Wan take down Maul? Was Maul already dying or something?

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_p5h3hz7eTp1wk3b91o3_540.gifv

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Maul vs Kenobi in Rebels is low key one of the Top 5 lightsaber fights in all of Star Wars.

It also kind of justifies why Vader was fighting very cautiously against him in A New Hope

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do wish more Star Wars lightsaber scenes had this kind of "less is more" philosophy instead of endless twirling.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really beautiful scene that, ahem, bridges the prequel and OT Obi-wans perfectly. You can see how he has become so much more in tune with the Force, in his quiet contemplation and unseen guardanship of Luke. He doesn't raise his saber in anger, only when threatened, and is always perfectly in control--this carries through right up to his duel with Vader in the OT. You can just feel the wisdom he's infused with.

Obi-Wan is a Jedi Master in all but name and it's the best. Rebels has some wonderfully high highs.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The trench run has not been topped for me.

Also that scene in the OP had no tension for me at all since it was obvious Obi-Wan was gonna survive.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
That duel was quick. Obi-wan was just too skilled by that point haha. He did take Anakin down a leg or two

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
It also kind of justifies why Vader was fighting very cautiously against him in A New Hope

Or because he already got 3/4 limbs cut off by him and he doesn't want to take any chances.

Rogue One scene with Vader slicing everyone up in the hallway gets my vote

Same. Mainly because I have no context from watching anything outside the movies. This scene was everything I always wanted in a Vader scene.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The trench run has not been topped for me.

Also that scene in the OP had no tension for me at all since it was obvious Obi-Wan was gonna survive.
It wasn't about survival, though; Maul was never a threat to Obi-Wan. He wasn't even gonna draw his saber until Maul hinted at the reason for Obi-Wan being there.

The whole scene is just showing how much Obi-Wan has grown since the fall of the Republic, while giving a satisfying conclusion to Maul's storyline.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I do wish more Star Wars lightsaber scenes had this kind of "less is more" philosophy instead of endless twirling.

I had never seen the clip before, and watching it now, it's like they actually understood that Star Wars is a western/samurai series. Duels are about the the drama of the lead-up, the characters sizing each other up, the sheer anticipation. The actual "violence" is quick and lethal. What makes them great is everything that surrounds it.

So yeah, color me impressed with their restraint here.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Oh this is the easiest question I've ever been asked about Star Wars....

Everything about this scene gives me goosebumps from the epic to music till Yoda tells Luke "That's why you fail." This scene is perfection.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think the scene is effective... but I think it's a little weird when someone's favorite moment in all the moments is the one where the space Nazi slaughters the good guys.
It's cool to see Vader in action, that's all. You don't really get to see him fight much in the OT, for as fearsome as his reputation is.

Rebels actually features Vader a bit, and does a similar thing to establish how scary he is. It's just really satisfying as a viewer, especially given the show's relation to Clone Wars.

Christor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It actually makes it more epic in context because throughout the clone wars and rebels, Maul is obsessed with killing Obi wan. You see the journey for both characters and it leads to that moment. It wasn't a crazy long epic fight with twirls and jumps, but just a quick fight in a few strokes, and after everything Maul did and learned, in the end, he didn't because he tried the exact same thing in the beginning that lead him to his final end.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Just wiser/better at lightsaber combat. Drew him in with Qui-Gon's old stance to get Maul to try the same hilt-strike-to-stab combo that killed his master, then sliced right through the middle of the saber. GG.
This is the best part about that scene. Maul uses the exact same move that he used to kill Qui-Gon, only Obi was ready for it.
Was poetic. Short, and simple. Such a great "battle" and 10x more investing than 20 minute long crazy light saber spinning Rave battles from the prequels.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
I think the scene is effective... but I think it's a little weird when someone's favorite moment in all the moments is the one where the space Nazi slaughters the good guys.

We haven't really seen any big screen Vader action since Return of the Jedi, so seeing the villian that started it all doing what he does best was really satisfying imo. Plus I love how the scene it shot, and the claustrophobic feel that really drives home that the Rebels are in danger

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The highlight of the scene isn't the battle... it's the history and context and weight of the moment.

And... the aftermath I'd argue is much better. Felled by his decades-old rival, Obi-Wan holds his dying foe who in his last moments loses all his rage and hatred, finding peace as he's told that the one Obi-Wan is watching will be the one to right the wrongs both have suffered and avenge them both. He dies... with a new hope.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You know I'm right. The framing, the back and forth, the elegance of the duel, the aftermath. It's pure perfection.

Great fight. Wish it was slightly longer. But great.

God I fucking love this fight. Palpatine is just a beast. The fight, the music, just whew.

Also I really enjoyed this:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It's the most realstic example of a lightsaber fight. You basically get one shot, someone is going to die. No twenty minute fights.
The most realistic would be Maul accidentally cutting off a limb with his ridiculous double sided saber and Obiwan turns his off.

Status
Not open for further replies.