• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
this thread is for those games that sell themselves on uncompromising harsh realism.

DCS is a pretty ridiculous one, at least by flight sim standards. There's like a 50-step checklist just to take off, we're talking at least 10 minutes to leave the runway.

03.jpg

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
A shooter example would be Red Orchestra.

-No HUD
-No healing
-One, maybe two-hit kills from everything, and the first one will often render limbs unusable
-Weapons not centered onscreen (they waver as you move)
-No targeting reticule
-Massive recoil on every weapon
-No ammo counter, no automatic reloading
-Tanks require at least two players to operate
-To see stuff around the tank, you have to open the hatch up
-Voice communication between tank crewmen is required to coordinate moving and aiming
-Likewise, voice chat in general is a must to coordinate your team (indeed, one of the few games I've played where voice chat is effectively mandatory)

It's just about the only game I've played that actually makes war feel terrible lol.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Arma series. I especially like the color scheme, other games try to make everything look like a movie and stuff but in Arma you feel like you're actually a guy standing in a field.

Most FPSes don't hurt you when you drive a car into a concrete wall, in Arma that's a good way to break your legs.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Escape from Tarkov is definitely up there when it comes to most realistic fps, cant think of anything as authentic.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arma series. I especially like the color scheme, other games try to make everything look like a movie and stuff but in Arma you feel like you're actually a guy standing in a field.

Most FPSes don't hurt you when you drive a car into a concrete wall, in Arma that's a good way to break your legs.
Yeah the ARMA games are among the most realistic, of course you have all those flight simulator games but most of them always have arcade elements to make them more casual friendly, but ARMA throws that sort of pre-conception out the window.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Study sims are the most realistic games. Those are the types of simulators that focus just on one single machine and then go crazy with realism on it.
And then there's iRacing. In racing genre nothing comes close to it realism-wise
Yeah the ARMA games are among the most realistic, of course you have all those flight simulator games but most of them always have arcade elements to make them more casual friendly, but ARMA throws that sort of pre-conception out the window.
ARMA is pretty arcade when it comes to vehicles though :)

Oct 31, 2017
Can you elaborate? I have no experience with dwarf fortresses IRL.

Well, I was being slightly facetious in that Dwarf Fortress is very much a fantasy game. But it simulates everything within its world - for example, an individual dwarf might become depressed due to the death of a friend or pet, and everything within the game is simulated. Again for example, a particular battle might become part of the culture or even religion of a group - maybe 10 died fighting a particular invasion, and then then they are commemorated in the art that others will produce.
I'm explaining it badly, but look it up. It's a piece of freeware that is perhaps the best argument yet for games claiming to be art.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Well, I was being slightly facetious in that Dwarf Fortress is very much a fantasy game. But it simulates everything within its world - for example, an individual dwarf might become depressed due to the death of a friend or pet, and everything within the game is simulated. Again for example, a particular battle might become part of the culture or even religion of a group - maybe 10 died fighting a particular invasion, and then then they are commemorated in the art that others will produce.
I'm explaining it badly, but look it up. It's a piece of freeware that is perhaps the best argument yet for games claiming to be art.

I was just goofing too. It's an amazing simulation for sure.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Kerbal Space Program is pretty realistic as far as space games go. The physics engine might not be 100 percent realistic, but in terms of orbital mechanics and space flight it gets it much closer than basically anything else out there.

Similarly, there's Children of a Dead Earth, which I didn't get to play yet, but also looks to have a pretty realistic space physics model, this time focused on combat instead of exploration. It also comes with a pretty detailed editor that lets you customize your ships parts. For example, you can change what nuclear elements your nukes are using, how enriched this element is, and a ton of other parameters that I have no idea what they even do.

Deleted member 30569

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Fighting games are often fantastical to ridiculous levels, but I always thought the first couple of Virtua Fighter games were fairly grounded and represented real-world martial arts somewhat realistically, making them some of the most realistic 'traditional' fighting games.