• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game would place higher in your all time favourites?

• Half Life 2 (base game only)

Votes: 866 52.1%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 795 47.9%

• Total voters

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Both games released within 2 months of each other and It's been the better part of 17 years yet I often still see both heralded as the best in their genres. Loved both games from beginning to end and would place both in a top 20 games list if I were to make one so don't really care which way this one goes. F--- it don't vote, let's just say they both win.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I might give it to Half Life 2 just scaling for time. It was apparently so good that making a sequel is now physically impossible. Half Life 3 is an impossible thing that exists in everyone's minds, like a mirage or orange

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Resident Evil is better in its genre but that's because the TPS genre offerings are so low

because I wouldn't put Half Life 2 anywhere near my top 5 if you dont count portal/team fortress.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
If you're talking about which is the better game? RE4.

If you're talking about which was more influential? RE4.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
RE4 is better to me. I really thought the boat level brought HL2 down. Hated that section so much.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
what is this the easiest quiz on the planet

hl2

wtf who are these 27 people that voted for re4

giphy.gif

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RE4 in every way. But I'm biased in that HL2 is probably the biggest beloved game that I just don't think is very good at all. So a lot of games could be the other choice and I'd pick it.

Oct 25, 2017
Half life was fun, but I've tried going back to it and couldn't really enjoy it. The more "arcade"-like nature of RE4 makes it more fun for me to return to. And I don't really think the trends half life 2 helped set are my favorite.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 buy a continental mile. I don't even like Half Life 2 to as much as I did the original.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is a hard one cus they were both pretty profound when they were new. Half Life has the lead in terms of impact and its still fun to play today, but RE4 is almost perfect for what it is and has so much going for it even now.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
actually upset trying to think about this and deciding which one is better

i know this forum will eventually go re4 because it's a console game from capcom but try and keep it as perfectly even as is on the poll for as long as possible

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
RE4 easily wins it for me as i don't really like HL2. I'm still extremely disappointed by it.

Oct 27, 2017
This is really hard. I still think HL2 is my fav FPS campaign. Re4 is classic af. The definitive TPS.

i say RE4 but I can go back and forth.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played RE4 so i can't be sure about this question but

Half Life 2 isn't even the best Half Life 2. Resistance 3 is the best Half Life 2.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
I voted for Half-Life 2, but the more I think about it, the less sure I am. Both games are great.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
This is not even close. RE4 by a country mile. It is the greatest shooter ever made.

Oct 27, 2017
Half Life 2 is a bit of mess in terms of pacing; so many moments where it locks in you in room to have the story happen at you. Whenever I replay it, I just start at Ravenholm because that's really where the game picks up for me.

Resident Evil 4 just goes from minute one. So, that.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Half-Life 2 is one of the most overrated games ever to me, I LOVED Half-Life 1 and its expansions and all the mods, but 2 didn't do it for me.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest replaying HL2.

I just finished replaying RE4 a few months ago and I could go for another.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Half life 2 was a great shooter but overstated imo. The gravity gun is cool but I think other shooters of the same time had better gunplay, writing, and level design.
I am not a big fan of RE generally though so I still voted for HL.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't like RE4 and consider it to be the begining for end for the series (up until RE7)

So half life wins by default for me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely blows my mind these came out the same year. I love RE4 to bits but it's HL2 all day every day. Just an incredibly influential game across everything it did, while RE4 was mainly influential for its gameplay.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Easily HL2. RE4 was good, but I don't personally consider it to be this legendary game. HL2 holds up a lot better too.

Oct 25, 2017
Voted RE4 but HL2 was the first single-player shooter I truly loved after years of not giving a shit about the genre (and I still mostly don't).