• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Welp. Democracy was fun while it lasted. This is so muddied, so shady, that I don't see a way that a large amount of the population can ever see the gov acting in good faith across the board.

Like how do we know the 'redacted' version, even the 'less' redacted version isn't basically its own coverup? Until Mueller is able to testify/and or an unredacted version is released pretty much the public is in the dark. Even if we get a true answer down the line, how easy it was to turn a serious government investigation into bad reality tv just erodes any concept of law, order and country.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
So why is Assange being extradited related to Chelsea Manning?

Wikileaks didn't do the hacking.

The US has wanted Assange for years for helping Manning. It's likely that they can't indict him as part of the Russia investigation, as his extradition was probably conditional on not receiving unexpected punishment beyond the scope outlined in his release.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Trump gonna wn in a landslide in 2020
These dumb takes come out every few weeks or so and they always baffle me. He didn't win by a landslide in 2016 when he would have had the most possible support with moderates and independents giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Think press finally learned not to take his word completely at face value, they're all pretty much dunking on Barr on CNN.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the next steps, getting Mueller in front of a committee to talk? How much would he actually say though?

Read the report. Subpoena Mueller. He can speak to anything that is not privileged or redacted. This is pretty much guaranteed to happen. It is unlikely that Mueller will do anything more than provide more color but the devil is in the details.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
The optics are pretty terrible for Barr/Trump when it's been confirmed that Mueller found 10 eps of obstruction.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
John Goodman is totally going to be playing Barr in the HBO series about this mess of a presidency.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
So why is Assange being extradited related to Chelsea Manning?

Wikileaks didn't do the hacking.

He's being charged for the 2010 cable stuff, I believe. Like all forms of Republicanism in action, once he proved his usefulness via the 2016 campaign, which they loved, they have to go back into 2010 mode, where they want him punished for exposing American coverups.

He played to their party, but now it's time to punish him for exposing the ills this country did. Used and being thrown out is especially Trump's modus operandi, so I'm not shocked at all this has happened with Assange.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
He said Mueller laid out 10 cases of possible obstruction and provided legal theories on whether or not it was obstruction and left it up to Barr/Rosenstein to decide. I don't think you will see Mueller say there was obstruction as it has been said over and over that he did not take a final position on it. I would be hard pressed to believe that he took a hard position on it and Barr would be spinning it an hour before it comes out.

Also, I'm not expecting anything magical out of his 10 cases of possible obstrution. They will end up being the same things that everyone has been talking about for years.
Sorry, I refused to watch the Trump puppet doing the spin... do we know for sure which entity Mueller was leaving the decision to? I know Barr insists Mueller was leaving it up to him, but is it possible Mueller said he was leaving it up to Congress or "other", not specifically the AG only?

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie Sanders doing a sweet 900 out of the half pipe.
tumblr_o1kz27zOcZ1uzr3nco1_400.gif

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
He said Mueller laid out 10 cases of possible obstruction and provided legal theories on whether or not it was obstruction and left it up to Barr/Rosenstein to decide. I don't think you will see Mueller say there was obstruction as it has been said over and over that he did not take a final position on it. I would be hard pressed to believe that he took a hard position on it and Barr would be spinning it an hour before it comes out.

Also, I'm not expecting anything magical out of his 10 cases of possible obstrution. They will end up being the same things that everyone has been talking about for years.

Barr admitted in his original letter that there are alleged obstruction instances detailed that have not been publicly disclosed, either in court or in the media.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Now they openly have the ability to steal elections and point at Russia and say " we didn't do it"

Why would they fix these election problems if they benefit republicans? They won't.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Chris Wallace being quoted on MSNBC where even they said Barr acted like counsel for Trump.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
CBS discussion basically saying "Trump wanted to break the law on many occasions, but his staff stopped him and refused to take his orders."

Basically created a shield for the President from obstructing himself.

I've always felt that in life...regarding almost everything.... judge someone on intent, not only result. But I'm not sure if the law is consistent with that.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I refused to watch the Trump puppet doing the spin... do we know for sure which entity Mueller was leaving the decision to? I know Barr insists Mueller was leaving it up to him, but is it possible Mueller said he was leaving it up to Congress or "other", not specifically the AG only?
Someone asked that after the press conference. Barr's answer was non committal at best, but in essence it was "I'm sure Mueller wanted me to make the decision."

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Read the report. Subpoena Mueller. He can speak to anything that is not privileged or redacted. This is pretty much guaranteed to happen. It is unlikely that Mueller will do anything more than provide more color but the devil is in the details.

Yeah seems that way; Pelosi is coming out pretty hard and seems to be going in that direction. But yeah, the redactions are key. If he can't talk about them then I wondered how much use that will be.

By Trump's sycophants in his mentions, yeah. Polls showed that no one cared about Barr's letter, how is his 930 AM-on-a-workday-I'm-not-taking-questions press conference going to move the needle?

I mean I agree with you - hence me asking what's next.

Dismissed insofar as it's not giving us a full account of what happened and Barr isn't to be trusted.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So this whole thing was a massive waste of time and resources.

The investigation made money through seizures. It also made it indisputable that Russia as a Government did in fact attempt to interfere with our election process, thus being a direct intelligence attack on our country and our would-be-elected officials. It makes it indisputably clear that the President knows about this, and will do nothing to Russia for it.

A waste of time? Nah, this aint it chief.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
CBS discussion basically saying "Trump wanted to break the law on many occasions, but his staff stopped him and refused to take his orders."

Basically created a shield for the President from obstructing himself.

I've always felt that in life...regarding almost everything.... judge someone on intent, not only result.
If that's the case the dude should not be president anyway(obviously). The president should be held to a higher standard. Attempting to obstruct but being stopped is not a reason to not commit a crime. If I tried to murder you but was stopped isn't that a crime? Fucking ridiculous this all is.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

From what I got regarding one of the questions - and I'm paraphrasing here - that "did Mueller leave it to you or congress to decide", Barr gave the impression he insinuated the decision was left to him, and Mueller may have not asserted as such in a direct manner. This would probably explain why some members leaked after the summary of the report.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure he was intending the decision to be with Congress.

This would have gone so much better while Rosenstein was still acting AG. Also wish they had pushed harder for Trump to answer questions in person.

stew

Dec 2, 2017

He said him and Rosenstein "disagreed with some of the special counsel's legal theories and felt that some of the episodes did not amount to obstruction as a matter of law".

I'm very confident that it will be clear in the report even if Mueller didn't write that Trump committed a crime.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I eagerly await to land this gnarly revolution" -Bernie Hawk

When does Congress go on recess? Tomorrow? Fuckers should be working over time or working through it just like everyone else when asked at work.

I mean....they will be working through it. Them and their staff will be reviewing the report over the break, I assume.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barr admitted in his original letter that there are alleged obstruction instances detailed that have not been publicly disclosed, either in court or in the media.

Ah ok. Didn't see that.

One interesting tidbit is that the White House apparently didn't exert executive privilege over anything in the report.

The push for full unredacted report may end up being a dead end in terms of pointing to Trump covering up stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
The investigation made money through seizures. It also made it indisputable that Russia as a Government did in fact attempt to interfere with our election process, thus being a direct intelligence attack on our country and our would-be-elected officials. It makes it indisputably clear that the President knows about this, and will do nothing to Russia for it.

A waste of time? Nah, this aint it chief.
Worse than doing nothing, he has actively removed sanctions on Russia. It's quid pro quo.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it was what everyone expected.

Barr spinning and basically being Trump's personal lawyer to defend him.

Waste of time. At least Barr made it obvious to the world he's Trump's toady.

Status
Not open for further replies.