• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We. Haven't. Seen. The. Report.
Yeah no duh. It will be up later today.

But the fact that a special counsel team didn't feel the need to even SUGGEST to bring those charges is very telling. They are much more neutral than 99% of Era who would just impeach the guy because they don't like his policies.

Let me be clear, I think Trump is awful and should have been impeached just for his conduct alone. But that won't be impeachable.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
People are running to destroy their legacy and reputation for Trump. That is what confuses me.

Yeah, I don't see the logic either. The best I can come up with:
1) They are true believers and see it as the right thing to do.
2) They realize this is their best shot at power and prestige in DC, and are taking their shot hoping it won't blow up later. Nikki Haley seems to be the only one who has pulled this off so far.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what goal? What will impeachment in the house accomplish? Senate won't do it and all it will do is push against the democrats by making this report become spun even more as a partisan witchhunt. The hope for impeachment required collusion to get the Senate on board. A lack of that and no definitive position on obstruction kills this off.

Republicans have already shown how poorly a one-sided impeachment can go politically.

Some of you need to think a bit more logically about how this all plays out.

Republicans probably want the house to get itself in a frenzy and start impeachment. This will distract from the actual effects of their policy and the stuff that actually matters to people in the country. GOP has understood that this investigation has drained the air from everything else that is going on, and they probably want to keep it going as long as possible.

People are running to destroy their legacy and reputation for Trump. That is what confuses me.

90% of these people will leverage their defense of Trump into lobbying positions for a few years and then come back next time a republican wins.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

But the fact that a special counsel team didn't feel the need to even SUGGEST to bring those charges is very telling. They are much more neutral than 99% of Era who would just impeach the guy because they don't like his policies.

Let me be clear, I think Trump is awful and should have been impeached just for his conduct alone. But that won't be impeachable.

Just wait and then decide. Clinton got impeached over a fucking blowjob so let's not get out over our skis on this again

Oct 27, 2017

Everything is "impeachable" because the act is political in nature. What you mean is that Trump has immunity by GOP partisanship which is a wholly different animal

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Some of you live in a fantasy world.
Why? There is absolutely nothing there that isn't possible, if not likely. There are grounds for impeaching both -- sure, it won't be convicted by the Senate, but the House could (and should) be considering doing it.

Edit: The only thing that isn't going to happen is a full release of the report publicly as I'm sure it'd impact ongoing investigations, but there is no reason that it shouldn't be released, non-redacted, to appropriate members of Congress. It's the law.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting Mueller to say anything other than what is contained in his report is just creating another media circus when all he will do is refer to his report and DOJ guidelines.

Nadler will try and get him to take a position which it is clear he believes he cannot take or he would have done so in the report.

I understand what will happen and the likely outcome but it still needs to be done. It is common practice because it gives you an opportunity to question the evidence and elicit more information on the record than what is found in the report.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

DoJ policy is not to indict a sitting President. Mueller simply compiled the evidence. Barr certainly shouldn't be the one to make this call, considering DoJ policy.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I still have no idea why people are waiting with bated breath for this report as if 1) it's going to change their opinion on his multiple crimes, 2) it's going to change anyone in Washington's mind on his multiple crimes, or 3) it's somehow the one dealbreaker in a presidency with near-daily scandals. Like, yeah that Michael Tracey tweet is wack but we really are not that far from turning the mystical Mueller report into some bombshell conspiracy

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea why people are waiting with bated breath for this report as if 1) it's going to change their opinion on his multiple crimes, 2) it's going to change anyone in Washington's mind on his multiple crimes, or 3) it's somehow the one dealbreaker in a presidency with near-daily scandals. Like, yeah that Michael Tracey tweet is wack but we really are not that far from turning the mystical Mueller report into some bombshell conspiracy
There is a thing called accountability. Even if he doesn't go to jail there is still information the American people deserve to have.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Citing Clinton's impeachment ignores the fundamental difference of having a sitting President going through impeachment proceedings -- including daily news coverage, public testimony, etc. -- during a Presidential re-election year.

Comparing Bill Clinton, going into the midterm elections of his second and final term as President, to a President going into his own re-election with himself on the ballot, is foolish.

And the above is just looking at this from the abominable Game of Politics standpoint, where people fancy themselves some combination of pundit + Littlefinger + Bismarck. Rule of law and accountability and the Constitutional fucking order should take precedent over either party's political machinations.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? There is absolutely nothing there that isn't possible, if not likely. There are grounds for impeaching both -- sure, it won't be convicted by the Senate, but the House could (and should) be considering doing it.

Edit: The only thing that isn't going to happen is a full release of the report publicly as I'm sure it'd impact ongoing investigations, but there is no reason that it shouldn't be released, non-redacted, to appropriate members of Congress. It's the law.

Full report wont be released because it has grand jury secrets. Mueller will go in front of congress and say he cannot answer because of DOJ policy. Trump's taxes will have shady info in them, but no smoking gun. No prosecutor will go forwards with indictment of a president and having the House start impeachment will backfire.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fair take but liberals all over are acting like this is the make-or-break Watergate moment for Trump. (It's not.)

Not me. I simply saw how effective the Ben Gotzi and Buttery Males capers were and I'm trying to give them a taste of their own medicine to help get Dems and some progressives in.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Citing Clinton's impeachment ignores the fundamental difference of having a sitting President going through impeachment proceedings -- including daily news coverage, public testimony, etc. -- during a Presidential re-election year.

Comparing Bill Clinton, going into the midterm elections of his second and final term as President, to a President going into his own re-election with himself on the ballot, is foolish.

And the above is just looking at this from the abominable Game of Politics standpoint, where people fancy themselves some combination of pundit + Littlefinger + Bismarck. Rule of law and accountability and the Constitutional fucking order should take precedent over either party's political machinations.

Again. House impeachment hearings will backfire. Pelosi is accurate.

The Republicans would like nothing more than to have the house spend the next two years spinning around on an impeachment plan that they know can't succeed without their support. It will serve as a distraction from policy and enable Trump to further point to how partisan the entire report was.

I have yet to hear someone explain to me what the benefits are of an impeachment process that won't succeed.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Full report wont be released because it has grand jury secrets. Mueller will go in front of congress and say he cannot answer because of DOJ policy. Trump's taxes will have shady info in them, but no smoking gun. No prosecutor will go forwards with indictment of a president and having the House start impeachment will backfire.

At minimum the full report should be released to the House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees.

The tax returns are part of the larger picture.

If things in the report are as-described by Barr (10 possible instances of obstruction) then we're past the point of waffling over impeachment. It becomes a matter of obligation.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Not me. I simply saw how effective the Ben Gotzi and Buttery Males capers were and I'm trying to give them a taste of their own medicine to help get Dems and some progressives in.

Not really the same thing when the GOP doesn't play by the same both-sides civility rules that the Dems do. If you can't nail Trump with the pussy tape or calling Nazis fine people or any of the other dozens of scandals during this presidency some report that he's been blasting for years as a witch hunt is not gonna accomplish much.

Its not helping his re-election chances that's for sure.

See above paragraph about his dozens of scandals and how none of them actually affect his base. If you voted for him after pussy tape you are almost certainly not flipping from "some witch hunt report."

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really weird, I can browse Twitter with no issues and go onto someone's profile or specific tweet or threads but as soon a I try to go onto Trumps page I get a force shutdown and the app just stops. Every single time. Weird.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, but that's not what you said. It is likely that the full report will be released to appropriate members of Congress, in full. It is likely that Trump's returns will be released to Congress, in full. It is possible that impeachment against Barr could occur. It is likely that impeachment against Trump will happen. None of that is fantasy land. Now maybe the idea that any of this will work (or at least not backfire) may be, but that's not what your original post was about.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fair take but liberals all over are acting like this is the make-or-break Watergate moment for Trump. (It's not.)
It's a problem that it isn't. Presidents have gotten far worse repercussions for less. There's no accountability for what politicians do, and to say this isn't a make-or-break watergate moment just shows how shitty this state of affairs has become.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At minimum the full report should be released to the House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees.

If things in the report are as-described by Barr (10 possible instances of obstruction) then we're past the point of waffling over impeachment. It becomes a matter of obligation.

I am not saying that these things are meaningless or should not be done. I am saying that they will not lead to actionable information because Trump will be defended by DOJ and the Senate. Keep doing those things in the background, make the hearings private, make the whole thing smaller. If something big is discovered, then come out and announce it. Until then, throw the rest of the democratic party's weight at something more important.

Yeah, but that's not what you said. It is likely that the full report will be released to appropriate members of Congress, in full. It is likely that Trump's returns will be released to Congress, in full. It is possible that impeachment against Barr could occur. It is likely that impeachment against Trump will happen. None of that is fantasy land. Now maybe the idea that any of this will work (or at least not backfire) may be, but that's not what your original post was about.

My point is that thinking that any of these things will make a difference is living in fantasy land.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be honest, the full report getting released likely won't matter to the House. Sounds like no executive privilege was exercised so the WH didn't redact anything.

What will impeachment accomplish? The Senate won't jump on without collusion and it sounds like its clear that it didn't exist. He will get impeached by the House on a party line vote and he can jump up and down and point out how partisan the entire investigation was. Somehow this wins the Democrats the WH and Senate?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Trump's only defense is being president and corrupt with others. He is guilty of many things. Big meanies made me do it doesn't work. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.