• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
So, few days ago, the Intellivision Amico debacle started reminding me of the Zeebo, one of the primerly examples of how a digital-only system is a flawed idea (not to mention the lack of horsepower, as it's the case with the Amico);

I was talking with some friends and I brought up the fact that Sonic Adventure was once planned for the console (it was never released, but I remember vividly it being announced).. and for my surprise, no one in that conversation was aware of this. I started digging up and discovered there is little to no documentation of that.. and some even took that as a misguided rumor (I've seen some suggest it would've been some mobile Sonic game like Sonic Jump instead) or just a made up story overall; There's no Wiki pages that mention, nothing! So.. let's start from the begining!

E8gwVSOX0AI6QsN

I made a whole thread on Twitter discussing the details, but I'll transcribe here with some new details that surfaced

Beginning with the Zeebo itself... the console never really stood a chance of succeeding in the market within the fierce competition of the PS3, Wii and Xbox 360. It was intended to have an acessible entry price for Latin America countries, using 3G technology for its downloads and all.. but at the sametime, the appeal of what it could offer was limited and didn't had much room for potential; The console had a weak hardware that resulted mostly in mobile games ported over (albeit modified to fit to a console experience, which is neat!), educational games with popular regional licenses and retro games with a variable degree of success in the transition (Tekken 2, Quake II, Pac-Mania, Joe & Mac and so on...)

Prior the console's launch (2009), the official site (now completely closed) was listing a couple of games that would be made available through time, and some of them were left in the cutting room floor, as the system was very short lived with its store shutting down in 2011;

And among those games there were a couple of SEGA titles; surprising choices overall given what was already being discussed about the console publicly; - Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis 3 (Holy moly...); and apparently, the only currently documented evidence of that is a singular screencap of the site of when it was up (at least that I could find..)

E8g3P7dXIAIcPQj

Now, I don't know why no one was able to verify this before (probably lack of interest..), but using the WayBack Machine, the archive page for the official site, does have the listing as showed above, even though the images are all broken, you can see their names (November 2008)

E8g4FtdWYAY5QdK

source: https://web.archive.org/web/20081113143856/http://www.zeebo.com.br/

To further cement this, Street Fighter Alpha 1 was another one of those titles shown in the listing that was never released; It ever was featured on the launch trailer for the Zeebo;

And the final build was eventually leaked (and frankly?, this is more competent that I ever imagined, no load times and all!)

Then what happened? Well, as you may suspect, simply the Zeebo wasn't capable of running anything close of a Dreamcast within reason (let alone Virtua Tennis 3 lol), and my suspicious were confirmed conveniently today on that Twitter thread I made, as Platy made me a bridge with a former Tec-Toy tester (@suzanabueno) that worked on many Zeebo projects;

She told us that they never even had such games tested, but everyone internally (and I suppose even SEGA themselves) was expecting much better specs from the system and the listing was legit; They eventually got the final hardware and saw that wasn't feaseble to continue with the idea, the games were eventually delisted from the site and SEGA didn't provide anything else on their place; They completely pulled their support.

That's the more shocking part of the whole story, I suppose; As Tec-Toy is still to this day a very important partner for SEGA in Brazil, and they have great working relationship; And yet, when they got to this hurdle, never even offered a couple of mobile games, or Master System and Genesis games.

Funny thing is that, assuming the factors of this being promised "a PS2 levels of hardware", the games with their specific cover arts selected and the timeframe (Sonic Adventure DX had yet to be ported for the Xbox 360 and PS3), this could had been the only other way to legally play the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure, as SEGA continues to port the DX version forward (which is far from ideal). This is not a very good prospect either, since.. you know.. this would be much worse for the aviability of the title lol

and even if they managed to have Crazy Taxi in there.. an unmodified Dreamcast port would have all the licensed music people so much miss, right? Crazy to think about!

So yeah, I wanted to bring awareness for this since there was a couple of new direct details we got and there is virtually no documentation of that, and I think it's important to update on this stuff, even if ultimately didn't happen.

The Zeebo still lives on the homebrew community; People actually managed to preserve many (if not all) of its games; But it's still a very niche thing, since the console never took off anyway. And had this been released, we could be telling you that the Zeebo is the secret best way to play the original Sonic Adventure (assuming it worked at all :p)

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Another tectoy contact i have told me they tryed to make Sonic Adventure work on the lower hardware, but the draw distance being minimal and sonic speed made the game unplayable as you needed borderline frame perfect reactions to the obstacles

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following gaming for nearly 20 years and I don't think I've ever heard of the Zeebo before. That's pretty impressive!

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Beginning with the Zeebo itself... the console never really stood a chance of succeeding in the market within the fierce competition of the PS3, Wii and Xbox 360.

That was never Tectoy's intention, they were trying to take on PS2 that was still the main console for a lot of people until like 2012.

Jigu

Oct 25, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, BR
It's borderline criminal that Zeebo's own version of Double Dragon wasn't ever brought to other platforms. It was pretty great, and not "great for Zeebo, anyway".

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
The Zeebo is still one of the most fascinating pieces of gaming history.

Once every two weeks I'm reminded of the Zeebo-exclusive version of RE4 and my brain stops for a couple of seconds.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I forgot to illustrate the thread with a picture of the console, which I think it's not too shabby!
Zeebo_1.jpg

Another tectoy contact i have told me they tryed to make Sonic Adventure work on the lower hardware, but the draw distance being minimal and sonic speed made the game unplayable as you needed borderline frame perfect reactions to the obstacles
I was actually thinking if I should add this detail; But thanks for adding yourself! - So in conclusion, some kind of porting job was indeed done; It's just Suzana wasn't among the testers

That was never Tectoy's intention, they were trying to take on PS2 that was still the main console for a lot of people until like 2012.
Of course, I was more implying the market was singing another tune at the time; And when the Zeebo couldn't be much of a PS2 equivalent, it sure was hard to sell to people;

It's borderline criminal that Zeebo's own version of Double Dragon wasn't ever brought to other platforms. It was pretty great, and not "great for Zeebo, anyway".
Double Dragon is THE reason to own a Zeebo, not gonna lie lol

Oct 27, 2017
I recognize that RE4 port, I used to have it on the iPhone 3G iirc. It was advertised as RE4 on the App Store but it really was more like a demo containing just the first village area if memory serves. It played surprisingly well though.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I got curious because I saw the Tekken 2 image in OP. Thought it would just be a straight up rom of the PS1 game, but seems like it's a whole different port????

www.youtube.com

Zeebo - Tekken 2

A fighting game for Zeebo. Graphically speaking, this game is not that bad. But there is no CG's of any kind and no voice over. Everything was cut in order t...

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Here's something to add to the conversation.. I mentioned on the opening text, that I've seen someone suggest this was mistook by a mobile Sonic game; That's Hero of Legend's doing from Sonic Stadium in a thread on their boards years ago;

They suggested that Sonic Jump was likely the game listed instead, as most of Zeebo's library were mobile games;

board.sonicstadium.org

This was very likely Sonic Zeebo, not Sonic Adventure.

This is the Symbian version of Sonic Jump, released in at least three forms on various mobiles, edited by me to fit from 360x640 to 360x480, the res that would fit an SD/ED resolution (640x480). It took a bit to do, but nothing that took sweat and tears. The three forms were a lower-end version (...

Though now with our insight from Tec-Toy folks, we can truly tell there was an effort to have Dreamcast like titles running on the Zeebo, but simply wasn't possible. That, and I also have my doubts Tec-Toy would even play with the idea of missmanaging SEGA's IPs with false advertisement, since they always had that partnership with them and from that whole situation, it seems no one was left bruised and they carried on delisting the games (even though with nothing to replace);

Heck, Sonic was still used on the instructions and legal paper by Tec-Toy on Zeebo products (not my picture)
D_NQ_NP_881185-MLB32260682835_092019-O.jpg

If Sonic Adventure had any progress on this testings, I'm super curious to see how messy the port was doing; Doesn't matter how unplayable it could be, I hope it leaks someday! lol Maybe homebrew will make further progress? :p

I got curious because I saw the Tekken 2 image in OP. Thought it would just be a straight up rom of the PS1 game, but seems like it's a whole different port????

www.youtube.com

Zeebo - Tekken 2

A fighting game for Zeebo. Graphically speaking, this game is not that bad. But there is no CG's of any kind and no voice over. Everything was cut in order t...
you know? I never took the time to see the footage; It's weird! Sure it's Tekken 2, but there's no voice acting at all the announcer is from Tekken 5? lmao

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Sorry for the bump, but I thought it would be pertinent to give an english translation of our little chat with Suzana on Twitter;

@Platynews: @suzanabueno do you have any idea if this was ever playable?

@suzanabueno: It wasn't. When it was announced, they told everyone (including us) that the hardware would be at PS2 levels. But it wasn't even close to that.

@CyberWolf_JV: Thanks for the additional details! It's super intriguing that those games were promised from to begin with lol

@suzanabueno: They were kinda discussed vaguelly, there were talks, but quickly we noticed it wouldn't happen. Porting PSP games was already a pain.

@CyberWolf_JV: Wow... but there was any repercussion of these games being listed on the official site? Because it's quite notorious that SEGA had no presence at all on the console after that.

@suzanabueno: No, because it was planned to have several games of these indeed. There were talks. But it was inviable.

@Platynews: Shame that the console died after that, right? It would been interesting see a world where the Zeebo survived time enough for these to happen.

@CyberWolf_JV: Really thanks for giving more context on the whole thing! It was always a history passage that intrigued me and to this day sites and wikis doesn't mention that the port didn't happen. Enlightening! ✌️

@suzanabueno: No problem! My favorite port was Quake II, since we voiced the game with the folks of the internal studio hehehe

Here's the link of the discussion, and here's in screenshot form for posterity;

Plus, as Platy mentioned here, She also got confirmation privately by another Tec-Toy contact, that they did tried to get Sonic Adventure running on the Zeebo;

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Very cool, thanks for sharing OP. I had heard of the RE4 "port" for Zeebo but as a big Dreamcast fan I had never heard of the plans to port Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi. Looking at the specs on Wikipedia, on paper it looks roughly comparable to the Dreamcast with "4 million triangles per second" but I suppose porting always throws in extra technical challenges. Did it even have a dedicated GPU?

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Just looked up the double dragon port… which really looks like a current remaster i had noo clue, looks amazing!

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Thanks for the update and the translation!
No problem! I'm hoping this to get more attention.. doesn't seem to be spreading and I reckon it's newsworthy; Trying to contact some people too;

Just looked up the double dragon port… which really looks like a current remaster i had noo clue, looks amazing!
It's more a remake than a straight port; a completely unique version with great combo mechanics!
LT00tYogpVxIc.gif

It's really a shame it's locked on Zeebo

Very cool, thanks for sharing OP. I had heard of the RE4 "port" for Zeebo but as a big Dreamcast fan I had never heard of the plans to port Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi. Looking at the specs on Wikipedia, on paper it looks roughly comparable to the Dreamcast with "4 million triangles per second" but I suppose porting always throws in extra technical challenges. Did it even have a dedicated GPU?
I'm really not a tech guy so I couldn't tell you, but I heard that the raw specs weren't not that bad, it's the OS that kills much of its potential consuming much of the power (and the menu navigation, store and all that were clunky as heck)

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
No problem! I'm hoping this to get more attention.. doesn't seem to be spreading and I reckon it's newsworthy; Trying to contact some people too;

It's more a remake than a straight port; a completely unique version with great combo mechanics!
LT00tYogpVxIc.gif

It's really a shame it's locked on Zeebo

I'm really not a tech guy so I couldn't tell you, but I heard that the raw specs weren't not that bad, it's the OS that kills much of its potential consuming much of the power (and the menu navigation, store and all that were clunky as heck)

totally agree! I was expecting something maybe like the port of gba double dragon , not like that. Hah

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

For reference, here is a HOMEBREW port of crazy taxi mobile to the Zeebo

youtu.be

Zeebo Footage: Crazy Taxi (BREW version)

Crazy Taxi was released by SEGA in 1999 on its SEGA Naomi arcades and was a successful arcade cabinet. Home versions followed on multiple platforms, starting...

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Sonic Stadium kindly covered the story (by Hero of Legend themselves);

www.sonicstadium.org

Sonic Adventure Zeebo Port Mystery Finally Solved - Why Was It Cancelled? - The Sonic Stadium

Shares2FacebookTweetEmail Remember the Zeebo? A small console produced by longtime SEGA partner Tectoy released for the Brasilian market over a decade ago, the smartphone-in-a-box was originally planned to have a number of Dreamcast ports launch with the device, including Sonic Adventure. But...

Hopefully gets picked up by other outlets as well; I just really wanted to bring attention to this.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Resident Evil 4 actually has an official Zeebo version, because of course it does.

I think it's a port of the phone version lmao

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Resident Evil 4 actually has an official Zeebo version, because of course it does.

I think it's a port of the phone version lmao

It is! Though it's fully translated to Brazilian Portuguese and somewhat optimized to an actual controller, as the oppose the touch-screen layout of the mobile version.

This is melting my mind! I hadn't even heard of this thing before today
Since we're on the subject and so few people seems to even know about the console's short lived existence; I'll post these highlights (in my opinion at least)

Zeebo-Games.png

I've never owned a Zeebo myself (and I'm hoping to get one eventually), so this is pure based on what've seen and heard; Being from the port job, the peculiarity of the title or just because it's neat those things even exist lol

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if it's the exact same game, but a Double Dragon game that looks a lot like it was on the iOS appstore (and maybe android too?) But I dont think it survived the 64bit transition. I cant find it anymore when searching.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm not sure if it's the exact same game, but a Double Dragon game that looks a lot like it was on the iOS appstore (and maybe android too?) But I dont think it survived the 64bit transition. I cant find it anymore when searching.

This iOS version is made by the same studio (can't say if the same team) Brizo Interactive, but it came out later; the Zeebo version was made from the ground up and it's much more in depth and feature rich (you have a pletora of playable characters to unlock; Lots of common enemies in the game have a playable version with their own moveset);

461008-double-dragon-zeebo-screenshot-the-extra-battle-mode-character.png

----On the SEGA support; I was hoping to get home to see if any other place was reported on the news; Good Vibes Gaming is now online with their stream, but I don't think they have caught the thread :p