• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hopped around a bit after finding that it was aluminum -- not sweat -- that was ruining all of my white tees, and eventually settled on zinc-based powder. Comfy, cheap, non-staining and I smell like I just came from the barber.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I stick to the aluminum antiperspirants. I've never used a non-antiperspirant that didn't wear off by 3pm after applying it in the morning.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno man. I like science and all but sometimes you really gotta stop and think about it. Is putting ALUMINUM directly into your skin and armpits gonna be good for you?

Science has gone through its periods of getting it wrong many times when it comes to your health. Sun exposure, diet and nutrition, fluoride, etc.

This one seems like a no-brainer. I'm not putting a metal into my skin so it can be absorbed right Into my system
You have iron in your blood.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I use antiperspirant or deodorant w/o issue. Doesn't bother me at all what people use.

What does bother me, however, are the people who are adamantly against using anything. These same people are often against showering daily- arguing that these attempts at hygiene are excessive and unnecessary. I've also heard some say that they don't smell 'bad', because the natural body odor is how people are supposed to smell.

I feel like, in a very cynical way, they are correct, but I also don't care because they smell offensively bad.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
I'll continue wearing forest moss in my pits thanks op, like to keep things smelling natural.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Trade hydrocarbon (propylene glycol) and metal (aluminum) for other hydrocarbons (charcoal) and metals (magnesium) but pay more money!
Ingredients: Maranta Arundinacea (arrowroot) Powder, Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda), Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), Euphorbia Cerifera (candelilla) Wax, Natural Fragrance, Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Seed Oil, Magnesium Hydroxide, Carbo Activatus (activated charcoal), Tocopherol (vitamin E; sunflower-derived)

Magnesium is a naturally occurring chemical and is used here by treating seaweed with lime. Activated charcoal repels toxins and can't be absorbed by your body. It's not like its ground down charcoal briquettes or something.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Ingredients: Maranta Arundinacea (arrowroot) Powder, Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda), Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), Euphorbia Cerifera (candelilla) Wax, Natural Fragrance, Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Seed Oil, Magnesium Hydroxide, Carbo Activatus (activated charcoal), Tocopherol (vitamin E; sunflower-derived)

Magnesium is a naturally occurring chemical and is used here by treating seaweed with lime. Activated charcoal repels toxins and can't be absorbed by your body. It's not like its ground down charcoal briquettes or something.

Literally none of what you wrote has any significance as an argument to me as a chemical and bioengineer.

"Natural" doesn't have anything to do with whether something is safe, normal, toxic, clean, healthy, effective, or any other words you can think of.

Jul 18, 2018
The natural deodorants are cheaper around me (small shops got em bad priced down atm) and the fact i haven't noticed them staining my shirts that other brands have. Unless people got some recommendations of brands they noticed don't stain shirts?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I think people like that would just freak the hell out if the really knew what processes were going in in their body

It's as if the fact we're carbon based lifeforms hasn't really sunk in either lol

"My vaccines have formaldehyde! They use that to embalm corpses!"

your body produces and uses formaldehyde in normal metabolism every day

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017

Jeebus.

Hydrogen Cyanide is a naturally occurring chemical. Try rubbing that on your armpits for extra freshness.

The entire point of activated charcoal is to bind to things, not "repel" them like tiny Jedi force power chunks.

What "toxins," pray tell?

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Literally none of what you wrote has any significance as an argument to me as a chemical and bioengineer.

"Natural" doesn't have anything to do with whether something is safe, normal, toxic, clean, healthy, effective, or any other words you can think of.
Cobra venom is clearly super healthy since it's all natural. Modern antibiotics on the other hand should clearly be banned

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, no one is going to tell you that you stink. Deodorants are not enough. Good luck getting through an NYC summer without smelling like shit at the end of the day. I never smell and i still wear anti antiperspirant because I hate wet arm pits and paranoid of stinking up the place.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys, no one is going to tell you that you stink. Deodorants are not enough. Good luck getting through an NYC summer without smelling like shit at the end of the day. I never smell and i still wear anti antiperspirant because I hate wet arm pits and paranoid of stinking up the place.
i don't understand how people in NYC suffer through the heat. here in DC, we drive everywhere with AC and are usually in AC'ed buildings. do NYC people just smell like ass all day

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone in the UK, I didn't know this was even a thing. If this just a US thing or am I living under some strange smelling rock?

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a myth that there are studies showing a link between Alzheimer's and aluminum exposure. It is specifically recommended you be careful if you shave your armpits because the nicks and cuts expose the blood stream, and some of the drinking water studies were pretty alarming.

https://www.alzdiscovery.org/cognitive-vitality/blog/is-there-a-link-between-aluminum-and-alzheimers

Besides, the natural stuff works fine.
The link literally says there isn't a direct link.

Deleted member 51103

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Portland, Oregon
I have really severe hyperhidrosis in my hands and feet and... well honestly everywhere.

I never use antiperspirants on my underarms because it ruins my shirts, but I do use other types of deodorant.

I have been into weight lifting lately and I have been using antiperspirant cream on my hands. It works WONDERS! Dries my hands out so I can actually get a decent grip on bar without is being super slippery.

Gamer Goo, Gamer Grip, I think the cream was originally for strippers when they were performing with a pole hahaha.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
i don't understand how people in NYC suffer through the heat. here in DC, we drive everywhere with AC and are usually in AC'ed buildings. do NYC people just smell like ass all day

Subway cars have AC, the train stations don't. Also many train stations have long tunnels, and elevators. Not to mention all the walking, broken ac in subway cars, buses, or cabs....it's a pain in the ass.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
The link literally says there isn't a direct link.
It literally says it's unclear and goes into detail about the various means of getting exposed to aluminum and the studies, if any, that have been done, and the results, which I have summarized. Or to put it another way:

Some observational studies suggested a link between brain levels of aluminum and Alzheimer's disease [1]. Since the association was found, many studies have investigated whether aluminum increases the risk for Alzheimer's. The findings are far from clear.

For example, here are the findings re: drinking water:

The only high-quality study involved almost 4,000 older adults in southwest France (the PAQUID study; [5]). It found that levels of aluminum consumption in drinking water in excess of 0.1 mg/day were associated with a doubling of dementia risk and a 3-fold increase in Alzheimer's risk [6]. For reference, the 2016 NYC Drinking Water Quality Report (PDF)states that the concentration of aluminum in NYC drinking water ranged from 0.006-0.057 mg/liter (average, 0.02 mg/liter). Of the remaining 13 moderate quality studies, 6 found an association between higher aluminum levels in drinking water and increased dementia risk [7-11], 4 found no associations [12-14], and 1 found a protective effect of higher soil levels of aluminum [15].

And here are the findings re: anti-perspirant:

No studies have directly examined the link between aluminum-containing antiperspirant use and Alzheimer's risk. However, a few studies have evaluated the link between antiperspirant use and breast cancer. Two studies found no increase in breast cancer risk [19][20], but one other study reported that patients who used antiperspirant products more frequently and longer on shaved underarms were diagnosed with breast cancer at an earlier age [21]. Studies show that aluminum salts in antiperspirants are poorly absorbed by the body, and the little that is absorbed is flushed out by the kidneys [22][23]. However, if you regularly shave with a razor, aluminum may be more readily absorbed via small nicks and abrasions. To limit potential risks, avoid application of antiperspirants shortly after shaving and limit excessive use.

So, cool post, but next time let me handle describing my own links thanks.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a myth that there are studies showing a link between Alzheimer's and aluminum exposure. It is specifically recommended you be careful if you shave your armpits because the nicks and cuts expose the blood stream, and some of the drinking water studies were pretty alarming.

https://www.alzdiscovery.org/cognitive-vitality/blog/is-there-a-link-between-aluminum-and-alzheimers

Besides, the natural stuff works fine.

Have you actually read the literature? Has anyone been able to consistently reproduce these results? What's the mechanism by which a toxic amount of aluminum can enter your bloodstream through your armpit?

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It literally says it's unclear and goes into detail about the various means of getting exposed to aluminum and the studies, if any, that have been done, and the results, which I have summarized. Or to put it another way:

For example, here are the findings re: drinking water:

And here are the findings re: anti-perspirant:

So, cool post, but next time let me handle describing my own links thanks.
Right, the studies are unclear, why did you say the studies show a link.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Have you actually read the literature? Has anyone been able to consistently reproduce these results? What's the mechanism by which a toxic amount of aluminum can enter your bloodstream through your armpit?
It doesn't need to be "toxic," which is re: poisoning yourself, to be risky re: Alzheimer's, and no study has been done on aluminum-based perspirants, so believe that it's safe at your own risk. Again, the natural products work fine, so why bother?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Using antiperspirant has allowed me to avoid embarrassing arm pit stains, which has enabled me to rise more quickly in my field of work, which has led to higher salaries and good health insurance, which I'll use to offset the irrevocable harm caused by using antiperspirant.

Why blocking the sweat in the first place? If it's not sweat from stress/fear/etc. it doesn't smell anyways (only if you wear cheap synthetic clothes, from which some of them tend to smell funny when getting wet).

I feel like a citation is needed here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Are people getting aluminum stains because they are putting it on at the beginning of the day instead of before bed?

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont really sweat since most days its Home - Car - Office - Car - Home and all of those places are Air conditioned.

The weekends where I might go out, I prefer to use a small amount of (VERY) mild smelling talcum powder. Does the job. Absorbs the sweat and I dont smell like deodorant.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't need to be "toxic," which is re: poisoning yourself, to be risky re: Alzheimer's, and no study has been done on aluminum-based perspirants, so believe that it's safe at your own risk. Again, the natural products work fine, so why bother?

They really don't for a lot of people. Saying "it shows a link" and leaving it at that is disingenuous, as it's almost certainly not grounds to actually alter your behavior.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
What part of the sentence "Some observational studies suggested a link between brain levels of aluminum and Alzheimer's disease [1]" is eluding you?

The following sentence doesn't exactly cement anything:

Some observational studies suggested a link between brain levels of aluminum and Alzheimer's disease [1]. Since the association was found, many studies have investigated whether aluminum increases the risk for Alzheimer's. The findings are far from clear.

And the antiperspirant section leans toward no link, if anything:

Studies show that aluminum salts in antiperspirants are poorly absorbed by the body, and the little that is absorbed is flushed out by the kidneys [22]

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who rides public transportation, I think there are a lot of people out here who don't believe they smell as bad as they do. Nature just isn't getting the job done.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped using Antiperspirant years ago, but I don't think i need it.

I still use Old Spice Deodorant though...

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I use the Crystal mineral salt stick. I like it because it works, only costs $5, and the label says it "Lasts a year," but I'm well into 2 years now. As long as it doesn't crack, it will last a long, long time; it's the size of a big marble. It also does double-duty healing shaving nicks.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I use the Crystal mineral salt stick. I like it because it works, only costs $5, and the label says it "Lasts a year," but I'm well into 2 years now. As long as it doesn't crack, it will last a long, long time; it's the size of a big marble. It also does double-duty healing shaving nicks.
Alum sticks are so great.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped using Antiperspirant years ago, but I don't think i need it.

I still use Old Spice Deodorant though...
Same.

Unless its balls hot outside I don't find I miss it. And most of the time if I am in that kind of weather I am dressed down and doing something active expecting to be sweaty.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I never found any antiperspirants that actually helped keep me any noticeably drier than just deodorants.

Isn't the stuff in antiperspirants what also cause pit stains on your clothes?

Enjoy your cancer I suppose.
I stopped using aluminum based deodorant years ago (never antiperspirant) like Old Spice and switched to Arm and Hammer Essentials and have never looked back.

900.jpg

My fav as well.