• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
First off, you'll notice all the "Natural" brands are just "deodorant" because there's no known safe & natural "antiperspirant." Only aluminum is approved in most world markets, including the USA, as a safe antiperspirant - that actually prevents sweating and odors rather than trying to only mask or neutralize them after sweating occurs. Most antiperspirant brands are also deodorants, but products labeled deodorant are typically NOT antiperspirant and this is especially the case for anything claiming to be Natural.

I notice tons of ads now for "aluminum-Free deodorant" and it's bullshit basically. I researched it and it's similar to crap people have against artificial sweeteners and eating non-organic food. Scientists have never linked aluminum antiperspirant use to health detriments.

Good Vice article on the fear-mongering
https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/mgyx54/the-final-word-on-whether-antiperspirant-is-safe

Good summary of research
https://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/features/antiperspirant-facts-safety

Good explanation of why Natural Antiperspirant doesn't exist
http://nymag.com/strategist/article/natural-antiperspirant-explainer.html

EDIT: there's stain-Free varieties now so that's irrelevant

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Enjoy your cancer I suppose.
I stopped using aluminum based deodorant years ago (never antiperspirant) like Old Spice and switched to Arm and Hammer Essentials and have never looked back.

900.jpg

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Antiperspirant deodorants seem to always ruin my shirts. I'll stick with deodorant without it (especially since I work in an office, anyway).

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't used antiperspirant deo in over a decade. Biggest difference I notice is there isn't sweat stains on my lighter shirts if I do sweat at all in them, so...I'm good.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped using antiperspirants a long time ago because they always messed up my shirts. Switched to regular deodorant and never looked back.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Full disclosure: I've been part of marketing teams for deodorant companies - I've done about 5-6 years of it, but haven't worked on it in about 3 years.

There isn't a link between aluminum and the fears of cancer or Alzheimers. I've seen and read the external and internal reporting - it's fairly unfounded, but a worthy question to initially study, particularly with women and the proximity to breasts and concern of breast cancer.

Your body sweats all over, so blocking those ducts with an antiperspirant usually sends the sweat somewhere else- feet (prominently), hands or head. So your body just gets rid of it another way.

And if you're looking for antipersperants that don't ruin your shirts, there's a new generation of sprays and sticks that are more like the invisible solids of the 80s, except they don't suck as bad. I won't mention brand names, you can find them if you want.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the organic deodorants or whatever they're called always give me a rash. I think I'm allergic to an ingredient they use.

Oct 27, 2017
Anti-naturally occurring bodily function is almost never a good thing in my book. Deodorant works just fine unless you're a really smelly fuck in which case you should examine your health on a more fundamental level.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I moved from antiperspirants to just deodorants because they were staining my shirts. But that doesn't happen any more. And I don't miss the antiperspirant qualities. Even living in a much hotter and far more humid area.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. Kept getting rashes from using aluminum based antiperspirant for years and switched to Arm & Hammer Essentials deoderent. No issues now.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
I use regular deodorant without antiperspirant. Shower every day and apply in the morning, never had any issues with odour.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you block sweat in your pits it's just going to come out somewhere else. I've literally never used an antipersperant in my life, just regular deodorant. Have never had anyone tell me I'm stinky and haven't had any problems dating/relatively wise, so, shrugs.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
This isn't new.
I haven't used aluminum based deodorant for a long time.

I do want my body to sweat, and I shower each day. I'm good.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the point of antiperspirants. Not only do they cause cancer, sweating is a way for your body to cool down and get rid of "toxins" (sorry I know that word has been ruined by quacks, but it's true). If it doesn't smell or ruin your clothes, then what's the problem with regular deodorant?

Last edited:

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped using antiperspirants a long time ago because they always messed up my shirts. Switched to regular deodorant and never looked back.

yea me too. For some reason I sweat so bad in college and used antiperspirant back then, but now that I'm older (calmer maybe?) I just use deodorant and I'm fine.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Antiperspirants give me a pain/rash so I haven't used any in like 15 years, only those "long lasting" deodorants.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Why blocking the sweat in the first place? If it's not sweat from stress/fear/etc. it doesn't smell anyways (only if you wear cheap synthetic clothes, from which some of them tend to smell funny when getting wet).

Deleted member 12028

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found that antiperspirant actually makes me sweat more. I moved to deodorant only and it works great. I was using that arm & hammer one posted above until I learned they were using triclosan. It appears they have stopped that, but I found something that works so not looking back now.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck antiperspirant.

I used that shit for 12 years. And for 12 years I never stopped sweating and I ended ruining almost all of my shirts because antiperspirant caused me to sweat even harder and stained the pits of all my shirts with the antiperspirant itself. I switched to deodorant 3 years ago and I never looked back. I havent ruined a shirt since then

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Aluminium based antiperspirant is the norm in Mexico and I've never heard of anyone getting armpit cancer, lol. Or cancer related to the use of such products.

Myself? I live in Japan and I have to wear a suit despite the nightmarish summer, so I'll opt for cancer, thank you very much.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Some of y'all are really missing my point. I'm not saying you can't like your whatever deodorant. I'm saying you are a QUACK if you promote anti-science rhetoric about antiperspirant. Science finds them safe so gtfo with claims that they're unnatural and thus bad for you.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I don't get the point of antiperspirants. Not only do they cause cancer, sweating is a way for your body to cool down and get rid of "toxins" (sorry I know that word has been ruined by quacks, but it's true). If it doesn't smell or ruin your clothes, then what's the problem with regular deodorant?

Respectfully, the bolded hasn't been studied enough to make the claim (at least by my quick googling), so please, don't state it as fact.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First off, you'll notice all the "Natural" brands are just "deodorant" because there's no known safe & natural "antiperspirant." Only aluminum is approved in most world markets, including the USA, as a safe antiperspirant - that actually prevents sweating and odors rather than trying to only mask or neutralize them after sweating occurs. Most antiperspirant brands are also deodorants, but products labeled deodorant are typically NOT antiperspirant and this is especially the case for anything claiming to be Natural.

I notice tons of ads now for "aluminum-Free deodorant" and it's bullshit basically. I researched it and it's similar to crap people have against artificial sweeteners and eating non-organic food. Scientists have never linked aluminum antiperspirant use to health detriments.

Good Vice article on the fear-mongering
https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/mgyx54/the-final-word-on-whether-antiperspirant-is-safe

Good summary of research
https://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/features/antiperspirant-facts-safety

Good explanation of why Natural Antiperspirant doesn't exist
http://nymag.com/strategist/article/natural-antiperspirant-explainer.html

EDIT: there's stain-Free varieties now so that's irrelevant
I don't think anybody cares about BO anymore.
It's just there all the time
So pitstains are like even less of a problem.
I guess if you work in a place where you are cooped up in groups in rooms without aircondiioning

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Antiperspirants irritate my armpits and they get red and itchy. I use Dove's scentless deodorant and it does a good job of keeping me from stinking when it's hot out

Baseless trend? Sure. Annoying? Why? I'm annoyed as someone who uses deodorant and not antiperspirant that almost everything is an antiperspirant. My local grocery store has a shelf tag that says Dove Deo Free & Clear but it's actually the antiperspirant version because they don't stock the deodorant anymore. In a sea of products there are very few that aren't aluminum based antiperspirants and there are very few natural products at the stores I go to. In what way is that annoying to someone who wants an antiperspirant?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone getting stains here, your shirts are easily salvageable. Simplest way of putting it? Boil your shirts in OxiClean for a half-hour. Or at least let the water boil, turn off, then throw in the shirts and let sit for a few hours.

Works every time. Yeah, I get looks when it looks like I'm cooking my shirts on my stovetop lol but I'm walking around with fresh-ass shirts!

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to check to even know which I use. It's deodorant. It's fine, and it works. Calm down OP, using a deodorant doesn't turn someone into an anti-science nutjob.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
This is like the exact counter to that thread from a couple weeks back
Do you have a link?
Do you have a citation on the causes cancer thing?

I stopped thinking about it after finding the dove stick (seems to be antiperspirant) generally keeps me smell free without stains. I still sweat obviously, nothing can stop that train rolling in, but thankfully now I don't need to care

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Antiperspirants irritate my armpits and they get red and itchy. I use Dove's scentless deodorant and it does a good job of keeping me from stinking when it's hot out

Baseless trend? Sure. Annoying? Why? I'm annoyed as someone who uses deodorant and not antiperspirant that almost everything is an antiperspirant. My local grocery store has a shelf tag that says Dove Deo Free & Clear but it's actually the antiperspirant version because they don't stock the deodorant anymore. In a sea of products there are very few that aren't aluminum based antiperspirants and there are very few natural products at the stores I go to. In what way is that annoying to someone who wants an antiperspirant?
You're dodging what I actually posted about, which is the rhetoric of "natural" deodorant brands. I already said in this thread I don't care if you just happen to like your deodorant. I care about the implication that there's a public health concern surrounding antiperspirant.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
You're dodging what I actually posted about, which is the rhetoric of "natural" deodorant brands. I already said in this thread I don't care if you just happen to like your deodorant. I care about the implication that there's a public health concern surrounding antiperspirant.

My point is the concern about the concern is overblown when nearly every product on the shelves is still an antiperspirant.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck antiperspirant.

I used that shit for 12 years. And for 12 years I never stopped sweating and I ended ruining almost all of my shirts because antiperspirant caused me to sweat even harder and stained the pits of all my shirts with the antiperspirant itself. I switched to deodorant 3 years ago and I never looked back. I havent ruined a shirt since then
This is really making me think of making the switch. I've been using the stuff for years.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
If stains are a concern, one should prolly give "clinical" antiperspirants a try

its the kind where youre supposed to apply them after showering, slightly before going to bed at night. They'll get absorbed during that period and will indeed prevent your armpits from sweating for a coupla days.

If you try to use them like regular deodorants, they'll stain the fuck outta your shirts tho.

(this method also works really well with regular antiperspirants)

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Artificial is normally better than natural, don't listen to those pro environment greedy whackos and their miraculous nature products, the same with antidepressants and soap

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
You're right. I read about this 10 or so years ago, and the science behind it now seems more conclusive that it doesn't cause cancer.

Well, somewhat.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/myths/antiperspirants-fact-sheet

Because studies of antiperspirants and deodorants and breast cancer have provided conflicting results, additional research would be needed to determine whether a relationship exists.

Seems to me that it's one of those 'use it if you want to, but not if you don't want to' things.