• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/24245142/nba-first-league-betting-sponsor-deal-mgm
The NBA has become the first major U.S. sports league to sign an official betting sponsor.

On Tuesday, commissioner Adam Silver announced that the league struck a deal with MGM that will give the gaming company rights to use league highlights, names, logos and its direct data feed, as well as exclusively market itself as the official gaming partner of the NBA and WNBA.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
If it was college or some minor league. But I can't see a player fucking up their money for some chump change. No one wants to be the new Pete Rose

But they all want to be the next Michael Jordan. I doubt they are going to get a vacation to play minor league baseball if they get caught though.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was college or some minor league. But I can't see a player fucking up their money for some chump change. No one wants to be the new Pete Rose

NBA is crafty. Michael Jordan was well on his way to ruination but they cooked up some loophole where he would 'retire' and effectively serve his suspension for gambling while pretending that he was serious about playing baseball to keep his public image and marketing potential high. Then, once that was done, he came back untarnished.

They'll protect their guys.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
This doesn't really change anything. It's just the NBA acknowledging that sports betting exists.
The Supreme Court ruling was finally getting the US onboard with the rest of the world.
Sports betting exists. Always has, always will.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even talking about that, really. Though I'm sure eventually we'll see something happen in that regard.

Just the normalization of sports betting I think will be bad for society, particularly for young people.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NBA always seems like they're the most desperate for cash, I'm expecting full on NASCAR-style unis eventually
They r highly profitable so I wouldn't say desperate.

Basketball is arguably the second most popular sport in NA and worldwide.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The NBA always seems like they're the most desperate for cash, I'm expecting full on NASCAR-style unis eventually
Considering how galcial most sports are to change, I can see how it looks that way. But I think they want to be on the forefront of everything. It works, very few sports have player agency like the NBA

phaeb

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Headline pops way more than it should lol hasn't betting been a major part of sports since before time? Why does the NBA punish their best player and than do a complete 180 and say betting is legal? Weird.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
NBA is crafty. Michael Jordan was well on his way to ruination but they cooked up some loophole where he would 'retire' and effectively serve his suspension for gambling while pretending that he was serious about playing baseball to keep his public image and marketing potential high. Then, once that was done, he came back untarnished.

They'll protect their guys.
Yep there are rumours that the real reason he retired was because he was heavily gambling and Dave Stern wanted him to clean up before returning.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a (not really) degenerate gambler and I love chillin' at the sports book with a drink and watching some games, so I'm kinda for it. I'm guessing MGM spruces up the content that's delivered internally with the live numbers

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the NBA but I'd never bet any meaningful amount of money on an NBA game. The officiating is so bad. Intentional or not.