• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
The platform: https://action.ndp.ca/page/-/2019/Q2/NDP-Commitments_EN.pdf

A couple CBC articles on the subject:

The NDP will be the first Canadian federal party to unveil an election platform that promises to drastically expand Canada's health care system to include, not just pharmacare, but mental, dental, eye and hearing coverage for all citizens.

What else does the NDP platform promise to do?
  • Commit to fully and equitably fund health education and other services in Indigenous communities.
  • Create an action plan to prevent suicide.
  • Cap and reduce tuition fees and student loan interest, with an eventual goal of free post-secondary education.
  • Ban unpaid internships.
  • Introduce federal incentives for zero-emissions automobiles and prioritize cars made in Canada.
  • Invest $1 billion in affordable childcare in 2020.
  • Focus on revitalizing industries like forestry, fisheries and agriculture.
  • Put a price cap on cellphone and internet bills, and introduce a telecommunications bill of rights.
  • Close tax loopholes and introduce a one per cent "wealth tax" on personal earnings over $20 million.
  • Increase access to public transit, including along rural routes cut off by Greyhound service discontinuation.
  • Power Canada with net carbon-free electricity by 2030.
  • Ban single-use plastics
  • End veteran homelessness
  • Launch a basic income pilot project
  • Strengthen the air passenger bill of rights
  • Create an affordable housing plan that includes construction of more low-cost and co-operative housing across the country.

At the heart of their platform, called "A New Deal for People," and shortened to NDP, is a pledge to reform Canada's health-care system to first include universal pharmacare and later another suite of services, like dental, eyecare and hearing.

Singh said it would save families who already have an insurance plan $550 a year.

To pay for the seismic shift, and other platform promises like drug decriminalization, the creation of 500,000
more affordable housing units, improved child care and enacting all recommendations of the missing and murdered Indigenous inquiry, the party is proposing a new one per cent wealth tax on those with a net worth of more than $20 million.

It's also promising to roll back corporate tax cuts brought in by previous governments to 2010 levels, increasing to 18 per cent from 15 per cent.

"The other strategic element of the vision today is that it targets precisely the crumbling progressive coalition of the Liberals that put them in power in 2015," he said. "The NDP needs those votes back."

While the NDP platform promises some big ticket items, there's little costing in it.

The party says the Parliamentary Budget Officer, an independent officer of Parliament, will review the plan and more numbers will be released, likely closer to the Oct. 21 election.

This election is the first time the PBO, which typically reviews government spending and policy initiatives, will make itself available to review the fiscal soundness of party platforms.

Didn't see this even posted in the Canadian Politics thread so I thought it might be worthy of a discussion on EtcetEra since there are plenty of Canadians on here and tons of progressives ones. For non-Canadians, the NDP are a center-left, social democratic party in Canada, and tend to be our third largest party. They've never won and there chances are incredibly slim for the 2019 election.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of this matters.

The best thing the NDP can do at this point is to just merge with the Liberals, if they actually care about not having a Conservative government.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Added to the thread title for clarity.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fingers Crossed that the Liberals steal some of these policies. Or for a Minority Government that forces them to work with the NDP and Greens.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
None of this matters.

The best thing the NDP can do at this point is to just merge with the Liberals, if they actually care about not having a Conservative government.

NDP merging with Liberals would possibly be the worst thing that could happen to this country's politics at the federal level. We would have an American style race to the bottom. The NDP at least keep the Liberals somewhat left if center because the libs realize they need to adopt positions that would attract NDP voters.

Also Liberals are poison in some ridings like in the prairies, so a merge would push those voters to Cons if anything.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully people realize why Doug Ford was forced to take a 5 month vacation during this federal election campaign window.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
I like just about everything listed in that summary from the article. NDP has always had a lot of great ideas and a big focus on making life better for a lot of people. It pushes the Liberal party to re-evaluate and add in some other policies that are beyond what they would have otherwise. I was big into NDP throughout university, but after that I started to actually pay attention to who would win where I was living, which switched me to a Liberal voter.

I've voted Liberal for the last few elections and will likely continue to do so until I end up in an orange/blue battleground. Current riding has quite literally been Red since first coming into existence (Ottawa-Vanier) so my decision is quite easy.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I though NDP was left of Liberals. Are Liberals even more center than NDP is or left-er?

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
None of this matters.

The NDP did better than the Liberals in the election before last. It's frustrating that the left gets its vote split and the right largely doesn't, but if Layton didn't pass away, who knows if we'd have a red government right now. I want anything but a Conservative government, but I don't think the answer is to merge the Liberals and NDP.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Fuck!!! I wish more of my fellow Canadians would get their heads out of their asses and vote NDP!

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
A man can dream huh?

Fuck!!! I wish more of my fellow Canadians would get their heads out of their asses and vote NDP!

NDP will never win. Jack Layton(RIP) was as close as they'll ever get in a long time.

The smear campaign they pulled on Bob Rae is still in effect to this day in Ontario.

Too many "but mah taxes and teh deficit" centrists.

Even NDP is historically the best fiscally responsible party in Canada since the 1980s.

We are doomed to an endless Liberal-Conservative cycle until the end of time.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Would NDP adding Electoral Reform at this point be good or bad?

I like a lot in this proposed platform, but it sucks cause of our electoral system punishes voting for NDP. This systemic problem alone is extremely depressing.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds all good but it's easy to sound good when you have zero chance of winning and thus can just spout whatever gives you moral high ground. Hopefully the Libs will adopt some of these (like the daycare stuff)