• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
M2j6WxL.gif

What was the Neo Geo Pocket?
When it was first released in 1998, the Neo Geo Pocket was SNK's entry in the long line of ultimately futile attempts to grab even a speck of Nintendo's handheld market share. It did not work. It was discontinued in 1999 and replaced that same year by the Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Unfortunately the colour version didn't last much longer because SNK went bankrupt a year or two later. But where they failed financially, SNK succeeded in bringing a typically unique product that perfectly represented their output at a mini scale.

Why should I care?
Because the NGPC was SNK firing on all cylinders. The same SNK that developed Metal Slug 3 and Mark of the Wolves. They set about shrinking down their best known arcade games to glorious 160x152 resolution, and considering the limitations of the system it is difficult to imagine how they could have improved on their efforts. And in mirroring their arcade output, the NGPC was home to some of the best handheld fighters ever produced.

This was largely thanks to a very clever piece of design on the hardware itself - the clicky micro-switched stick. And boy does it CLICK! Very noisy. You can't play it at night. It is an absolute dream to use though, and makes pulling off double QCF movements easy and pain free. Seriously, I cannot wax lyrical enough. This is the best controller SNK have ever made - better than the original AES stick (it has buttons that aren't shit).

The stick is also the reason I wouldn't recommend emulating most NGPC games. It will soon be emulated via the excellent looking Analogue Pocket, but without that stick you'll only get half the story. Do yourself a favour and track down the original hardware.

I8RQrQZ.jpg

The games
Sadly the NGPC was pulled from shelves before its time, so it doesn't have a very large library. However I'd argue it has one of the best quality to quantity ratios, up there with the Dreamcast. Some highlights:

SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium
LHVa8gp.gif

Capcom famously made great use of this license swap, while SNK seemed to waste it on the fun but shallow SNK vs Capcom on the MVS. Well, they made up for it on the NGPC with this - probably the best fighting game on the system with a huge roster of characters and plenty of fun side content. This best represents the care with which SNK treated the platform; many of their ports weren't simple conversions with different graphics, they all added something unique (Last Blade had a frickin' baseball mini game!).

SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash
gtc0kLo.gif

They weren't messing around, and you'd accuse them of milking the licence by now if CFC wasn't such a quality game. Framed around an RPG of sorts, it's a simple but fun card battling game that comes in SNK and Capcom versions. It's worth the price of admission alone for the many obscure SNK and Capcom characters that appear on the cards. There was a sadly Japan only sequel and an apparently horrid DS version too.

Metal Slug: 2nd Mission
wRw1RbQ.gif

While the hardware was seemingly designed for 1v1 fighters, SNK's other flagship franchise Metal Slug was always going to suffer. There's just no way you could shrink down the mayhem of the arcade games when the hardware only allows you to show a handful of spites on screen at once. So they tweaked things - it increases the amount of branching paths so there are over 30 missions that will require multiple play throughs. The pace may be different, but it is still recognisably Metal Slug and arguably the best entry in the series outside of 1-3.

Faselei!
Ib8ZCFJ.png

Famously one of the rarest games, mostly because it was only released in Japan and the UK briefly before it was pulled from shelves. Making a trip to my local EB at the time turned out to be one of the best decisions I made - I can't say it is worth paying £200 for a UK copy, but it is a very good semi turn based strategy game that needs a bigger audience.

Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
QvqV57t.gif
I remember this being a pretty big deal at the time - Sega had not yet abandoned the Dreamcast, so seeing Sonic on another platform was surprising. And SNK did a bloody good job - just look at that GIF in the spoiler!

Honourable mentions:
Neo Turf Masters
The Last Blade
King of Fighters R-2
Dark Arms: Beast Busters
SNK Gals Fighters
Puzzle Link 2
Dynamite Sluggaer
Biomotor Unitron
Samurai Shodown! 2

I'm convinced. Where can I get one?
The consoles and unboxed games were going cheap a few years back, but prices have sky rocketed since. Still, I'd recommend picking one up soon if you're interested. As I said previously, the real hardware is the only way to go. Try to go private sale if you can, if not Ebay of course.

Unusually for most things video game related, the European games are most sought after. They came in a frankly awesome AES style plastic clam shell, whereas the US and Japan had crappy cardboard boxes. Expect to pay £50-200 for European games, and significantly less for US/JP copies. Most unboxed games can be had fairly cheaply though, and like Game Gear games they came in snug plastic cases so should be in good condition. There is no region protection.

Alternatively there is the Analogue Pocket releasing next year with an NGPC cart adapter. This will undoubtedly have a better screen than the NGPC (no backlight), and hopefully allow you to pair it with a decent controller to make up for the lack of a clicky stick. I hope this can bring more attention to these awesome games.

What about mods?
When I originally created this topic, the only available LCD screen replacement was unfortunately a fair bit smaller than the original version, so you lost almost as much as you gained. Recently however a new replacement LCD has been released which is almost exactly the right size and even has some neat features such as a retro pixel effect (which actually looks pretty great).

If you want to fit the screen yourself, the one you're looking for is by Hispeedido. You may be able to find a local reseller, but the source will be this Aliexpress listing (regular and slim versions available): https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005002181010707.html

Here's some tips on the install:

Be aware that fitting the screen yourself may require some soldering and can be tricky. If you're concerned I'd recommend finding someone to install it for you, but it is well worth the effort. You can also order replacement cases and buttons if you don't want to use the original shell. Here's some of Resetera's efforts (cue Left Bank Two):

Also, there is a Game Drive available from RetroHQ (https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/neo-geo-pocket-neopocket-gamedrive-flash-cartridge) which lets you play the entire library of 70+ from SD card, as well as patched versions such as Card Fighters Clash 2 in English. There is a cheaper Flash Masta cart available too, but this only stores ~2 games vs ~10 in the Game Drive.

Image credits
I stole the images because I'm a pleb, so here are the sources:
https://speedyjx.com/tag/neo-geo-pocket-color/
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/03/hardware_classics_snk_neo_geo_pocket_color
http://superadventuresingaming.blogspot.com/2012/08/snk-vs-capcom-card-fighters-clash-ngpc.html
https://pixelclash.tumblr.com/post/143633255674/metal-slug-2nd-mission-neo-geo-pocket-color
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/faselei/
https://aminoapps.com/c/sonic/page/blog/sonic-pocket-adventure/wKab_jDmSouWqja8WvgeLZ3YZZ6xDmW2Q3N

So, hopefully this has been useful or at least bought back some memories. Please share either way!

Last edited:

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
Last Blade 2, SvC, and alot of other NGPC fighters with all the extra modes was incredible. Awesome controls was the icing on the cake.

Though I dont play it very often, I still have my Silver unit with some games.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Not having a NGPC was one of my biggest regrets as a gamer. Therefore, as soon as an NGPC emulator was available for the GP32 (what a beat that was back in 2003) I BINGED the games. Sonic Pocket Adventures. Metal Slug 2nd Mission. Kings of Fighters R2. Fucking SNK vs Fucking Capcom Fucking Match of the Fucking Millenium. Cotton. So much fun. It's weird to read reviews back in the day saying "This is the closest to actual handheld Neo-Geo arcade gaming we'll ever have" well guess what you guys I'm playing Waku Waku 7 on the toilets thanks to the Switch now.

But before that, yeah, the NGPC was amazing.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Absolutely adore this console. Really lucky I was able to find new games and consoles years later after release when prices were super cheap, I even managed to get two original b&w NGP consoles and games.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
To this day I'm still hurt my mother wouldn't buy a NGP for me from the bargain bin for $10. No amount of explanation could persuade her.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the NGPC. I bought mine around 2000/2001. Awesome fighting games, run 'n guns, a quality take on Sonic 2, among other things. The click stick works beautifully. Some of the games have that half-assed colourization look that GBC games often do, probably due to monochrome origins, but the art always had style.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
After much hype, I got one a while back. The visuals of the system let me down hard, however, the legend of the clicky stick was worthy of its lore.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
always found its existence weird on the fact that it, well, existed.

late 90s/early 00s was surely an interesting time for handhelds in that it was possible to put a dent in that marketshare (sony not withstanding) if you really tried. i still would like to play that cancelled wonderswan Final Fantasy 3 some day

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I had one back in 00/01 with Sonic and Bust a Move. Loved that system and always wanted Rockman Battle and Fighters but couldn't afford to import games as a teen. It is weird you posted this because I was just considering buying another and (lol) a WonderSwan Crystal but I'm still on the fence about it.

NGPC is an amazing system and everyone should own one.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I love this system and all of its games. I was devastated when it was killed off way before it should have been.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Match of the Millennium was amazing. It blew my mind how much content was in a handheld game at the time.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Bought one from Amazon 16 years ago this week. I never picked up any more games for it, but Sonic was fun.
neo_geo_1.jpg

neo_geo_2.png

My handheld collection (I sold my GBC back in the day for a GBA)-
handhelds.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Found mine, put some batteries in it after like 17 years (that fuckin sub battery tho) and it was like seeing an old friend or whatever again. But then I had to sell my old friend to put towards rent.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Not having a NGPC was one of my biggest regrets as a gamer. Therefore, as soon as an NGPC emulator was available for the GP32 (what a beat that was back in 2003) I BINGED the games. Sonic Pocket Adventures. Metal Slug 2nd Mission. Kings of Fighters R2. Fucking SNK vs Fucking Capcom Fucking Match of the Fucking Millenium. Cotton. So much fun. It's weird to read reviews back in the day saying "This is the closest to actual handheld Neo-Geo arcade gaming we'll ever have" well guess what you guys I'm playing Waku Waku 7 on the toilets thanks to the Switch now.

But before that, yeah, the NGPC was amazing.
The GP32 has the second best digital stick of any handheld - if you're going down the emulation route that's a good choice.

I hope ACA expand to include the NGPC catalogue some day - it may not be as glamorous as the MVS/AES but some of those games deserve a bigger audience.
Okay, I'm sold, OP. I'll try to find one.
Thread was worth it. Hope you like it! Just keep your expectations in check, particularly when it comes to graphics. This is around the same age as the GBC.
I had one back in 00/01 with Sonic and Bust a Move. Loved that system and always wanted Rockman Battle and Fighters but couldn't afford to import games as a teen. It is weird you posted this because I was just considering buying another and (lol) a WonderSwan Crystal but I'm still on the fence about it.

NGPC is an amazing system and everyone should own one.
I've always wanted to try a WonderSwan but never got around to it. Someone should make a Wonderswan thread!

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My dream is that SNK would kickstart a small run of backlit NGPCs. I would probably pay quite a bit. Still love playing the fighting games but the dim screen is the only blemish.

I will get the analogue pocket but without the greatest handheld stick ever created I might be limited to playing Cardfighters and a few other non-fighting games.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Love this system. Afraid to dig mine out cause I know the batteries have probably leaked and the thing's a mess. Was considering buying another and then the Analogue Pocket got announced. I've still got Sonic, Metal Slug 2, SNK vs Capcom Match and Card and maybe a few others. The DS Cardfighters clash isn't just horrid, it has game breaking bugs which can render your save unplayable. I think they released an updated cart later, but don't ever bother. Garbage game.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Huh...I think I may have something fairly rare here without even realising it until now: a UK copy of King of Fighters R-1. That's the black and white version that was supposedly never released in Europe. Or maybe it's a HK copy? Either way it is in English. A bit water damaged sadly but still fairly rare, I think.

The best part is I have no idea how it got in my collection. I don't remember buying it! No clue where it came from.

I also have a boxed NGP, but I remember winning that on neo-geo.com. it is quite cool to put in the colour carts and see a special message unique to each game pop up:
5I18lan.gif

More here: http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn/ngpc.htm

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I played both of the SNK vs Capcom games (Card Fighters Clash and Match of the Millennium) for such an insane amount of time. I think it's the only two games I own, but well worth having the console just for those.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
The stick is my favorite feeling input device on any game console ever all time. It feels PERFECT. It's insane how good it is. It's bonkers better than any other d-pad I've ever used. I'd pay a lot of money to have it on any and all other controllers.

Too bad, though, the screen on the NGPC absolutely sucks. It's terrible. I'm sorry, but at 30 years old with aging eyes and familiarity with all the luxuries of modern displays, I just cannot go back to that non-backlit screen. Only under absolute perfect sunlight is the damn thing visible.

How difficult is a quality backlight mod?

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Great thread for a system I love! I have a pretty sweet boxed collection with a few doubles that I picked up when they were getting clearanced.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always found funny how for the most part, SNK understood better than SEGA how to develop a good 2d sonic game post genesis

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Neo Geo Pocket Color with Metal Slug and I absolutely love it. I'm always telling myself that I should pick up more games for it, but never got around to doing so. I should definitely change that one day.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite systems ever. I remember a flight attendant asking me about it as a kid and then specifically mentioning it in the pre flight announcements. "Please make sure all laptops, compact disc players, and Neo Geo Pocket Colors are turned off and stowed during take off." Made my day. Still have my camo blue and all my games. Looking forward to revisiting them on the Analogue Pocket next year.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
One of my biggest gaming regrets is selling off my NGPC collection, bought most of the games dirt cheap with almost a full English set, some that are going for eye watering prices now.

Oct 26, 2017
You made me dig out my stuff. After some nervous battery switching where the first set I tried didn't work, I was throwing out Power Geysers and Spinning Piledrivers like it was 2000. Match of the Millennium really is an amazing game. The control is sublime and the characters feel very complete. Like, even with this control scheme Terry has all his classic moves present.

I actually sold off Last Blade and Samurai Shodown at some point (didn't care for the miniature spritework on those) but I still have MotM (US), both versions of Cardfighters (EU Cap, JP SNK), Cardfighters 2 (JP), KoF R-1 (EU), Rockman Battle & Fighters (JP, another super obscure one), Sonic (JP), some slot machine thing called Delsol and, uh, Super Real Mahjong (JP). I haven't tried them all but I assume they still work, and all are complete. I hesitate to look up what they're worth because I don't want to be tempted.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think we know enough to say that. Mobygames shows the "Co-planner" worked on Metal Slug 3 and X, and I don't see any info on him/her working at Dimps or on any other Sonic games.
The mandate for the NGPC game seems to have been simple - 'make Sonic 2 but with new levels'. And they nailed it. The GBA games over complicate things and and they are worse for it. Whoever made the decision to keep it simple clearly didn't make the jump.
One of my biggest gaming regrets is selling off my NGPC collection, bought most of the games dirt cheap with almost a full English set, some that are going for eye watering prices now.
Oof. Sorry, threads like this must be a painful reminder. I bought a few games cheap second hand, but I don't have anywhere near a full collection.
You made me dig out my stuff. After some nervous battery switching where the first set I tried didn't work, I was throwing out Power Geysers and Spinning Piledrivers like it was 2000. Match of the Millennium really is an amazing game. The control is sublime and the characters feel very complete. Like, even with this control scheme Terry has all his classic moves present.

I actually sold off Last Blade and Samurai Shodown at some point (didn't care for the miniature spritework on those) but I still have MotM (US), both versions of Cardfighters (EU Cap, JP SNK), Cardfighters 2 (JP), KoF R-1 (EU), Rockman Battle & Fighters (JP, another super obscure one), Sonic (JP), some slot machine thing called Delsol and, uh, Super Real Mahjong (JP). I haven't tried them all but I assume they still work, and all are complete. I hesitate to look up what they're worth because I don't want to be tempted.
If it's an English copy, that R-1 is worth around £200 boxed on eBay. Of course I wouldn't sell though!
The stick is my favorite feeling input device on any game console ever all time. It feels PERFECT. It's insane how good it is. It's bonkers better than any other d-pad I've ever used. I'd pay a lot of money to have it on any and all other controllers.

Too bad, though, the screen on the NGPC absolutely sucks. It's terrible. I'm sorry, but at 30 years old with aging eyes and familiarity with all the luxuries of modern displays, I just cannot go back to that non-backlit screen. Only under absolute perfect sunlight is the damn thing visible.

How difficult is a quality backlight mod?
Apparently $200 difficult: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...or-backlit-screen-mod-revealed-250-usd.86665/

Although this may be a more sensible option: https://www.retromodding.com/products/neo-geo-pocket-color-backlight

Has anyone tried either? I am tempted by the $50 one but scared I might break something!

Oct 26, 2017
If it's an English copy, that R-1 is worth around £200 boxed on eBay. Of course I wouldn't sell though!

Oh, it was actually a JP copy, I was mistaken. Too bad. I was confused because it was in a clamshell. Only the CFC Capcom version was a EU copy.

I still can't believe I played through both CFC SNK and CFC2 in Japanese, although I did learn the game in English first.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, it was actually a JP copy, I was mistaken. Too bad. I was confused because it was in a clamshell. Only the CFC Capcom version was a EU copy.

I still can't believe I played through both CFC SNK and CFC2 in Japanese, although I did learn the game in English first.
I'd love to play CFC2 some day, hopefully the Analogue Pocket can run the translation patch. Don't need the clicky stick to enjoy that one!

They did use clamshell cases in Japan for a while before switching to cardboard.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
When the NGPC came out I was on team "Fuck Gameboy color this is the real shit here"

Only owned Metal Slug and Match of the Millennium sadly but I have fond memories of them

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
IMO Neo Turf Masters and Dark Arms (one of the best hidden gem on the console) should be included in the "must have" list along side SNK vs Capcom, Metal Slug, Sonic and Faselei.

Thread was worth it. Hope you like it! Just keep your expectations in check, particularly when it comes to graphics. This is around the same age as the GBC.
I always use this comparison with RPG games to highlight the progressive graphics jump from GBC to GBA which happened around late '90s and early '00s.
In the screenshot below Dragon Quest 3 on GBC (2001), Final Fantasy on WSC (2000) and Golden Sun on GBA (2001).

-----------------GBC----------------------------------------WSC----------------------------------------------------GBA
59720-dragon-warrior-iii-game-boy-color-screenshot-fight-or-run.png
101383-final-fantasy-wonderswan-color-screenshot-battle-in-a-forest.gif
24582-golden-sun-game-boy-advance-screenshot-encounter.jpg

I've always wanted to try a WonderSwan but never got around to it. Someone should make a Wonderswan thread!
From a weestern point of view (that can't read japanese) WonderSwan is particularly strong with puzzle games.
RPG is also the other genre which weas very strong on teh platform but you need to understand japanese to fully enjoy those games (with Front Mission being partially an exception due to the english menu).

Last edited:

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Funny timing. My NGPC (and original NGP) had been sleeping in a cardboard box for the last 15 years. I opened it last week out of curiosity and damn this is one hell of a system. I've been playing a lot of Samurai Shodown! on it the last few days and it's a blast. Screen is a lot more reflective than I remembered and that stick, that wonderful stick.

It's probably my favorite handheld system.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did I miss this thread? NGPC was legit a beast of a machine software wise, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a library as chock full of great shit as the NGPC.

Yes I realise it had like 17 games but like 16 of them are amazing 😉

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I always use this comparison with RPG games to highlight the progressive graphics jump from GBC to GBA which happened around late '90s and early '00s.
In the screenshot below Dragon Quest 3 on GBC (2001), Final Fantasy on WSC (2000) and Golden Sun on GBA (2001).

-----------------GBC----------------------------------------WSC----------------------------------------------------GBA
59720-dragon-warrior-iii-game-boy-color-screenshot-fight-or-run.png
101383-final-fantasy-wonderswan-color-screenshot-battle-in-a-forest.gif
24582-golden-sun-game-boy-advance-screenshot-encounter.jpg
That's a good comparison - NGPC sits somewhere between GBC and WSC I guess. For a lot of people the graphics are part of its charm though - SNK's sprite work was immediately recognisable and just about perfect considering the limitations of the hardware.

I distinctly remember hearing about the GBA on the horizon when I owned an NGPC, and it was clearly a huge leap in technology...but I was too invested in the NGPC to give it the time of day. I was very silly looking back, although I don't regret my choice of platform at all.

In fact looking back, I had a weird attraction to niche/failed handhelds...Game Gear, NGPC, GP32, GP2X. Surprised I didn't get an N-Gage! I missed out on a that side talkin' action.