Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theringer.com/music/2019/5/3/18525721/smash-mouth-all-star-20th-anniversary-memes

On May 4, 1999, a hit was born—an unkillable one. Twenty years after the song's release, the band's songwriter relives the creative process behind it and explores why the sensation has continued to permeate pop culture through memes, YouTube videos, and even an as-yet-unstaged Broadway musical.

They really didn't want to use "All Star."

It was 2001, and the creators of Shrek, an upcoming animated film about a foul-tempered ogre, had slotted it in as a placeholder track over the opening sequence. It had the feeling they wanted: fun, and edgy yet not too edgy. But the song, by the band Smash Mouth, had been all over radio and television since its release two years prior. It also had been featured in two recent movies, Mystery Men and Inspector Gadget, and licensed for Rat Race, which would be out later in the year. Surely, they should use something fresher.

So Matt Mahaffey, a young artist signed to DreamWorks' records division, was enlisted to come up with a replacement: a song that was like "All Star," but not "All Star." As Mahaffey saw it, it was his task to beat it. He was shown a rough cut of the movie, then wrote and demoed a song that day.

The Shrek team loved it. Mahaffey was flown from Los Angeles to meet the animation team in Palo Alto, and paired with "All Star" producer Eric Valentine to lay down the master. The process took weeks. The cut of the movie kept changing, and the music had to be adjusted to fit. But Mahaffey was excited: His song was shaping up to be the only original number in the movie. "We worked so hard to make it perfect," Mahaffey said recently.

call a 24-hour "All Star" hotline on 830-476-5664 (a handy number, it has been suggested, for women to give out to potential creeps).

Fun article. Can't believe the song is 20 years old.

In recent years, with its rotating personnel, Smash Mouth has been "almost like a cover band" of itself, Camp says. They continue to play his songs on the road, with Harwell openly admitting to concert audiences that, yes, he knows that most of them are there to hear three songs, but they should "try to have fun until we get there." And then, as promised, every night, the closing song sends the audience out on a terrific high:

All that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold.

That last line happens to be a mixed metaphor, but who cares.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say this kinda pissed me off. As someone who is a big fan of Smash Mouth and was a long time before the meme it's made it more difficult to search their songs or even talk about them without some idiot memestar memesters going and doing their stupid crap.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say this kinda pissed me off. As someone who is a big fan of Smash Mouth and was a long time before the meme it's made it more difficult to search their songs or even talk about them without some idiot memestar memesters going and doing their stupid crap.

the memes start comin and they don't stop comin

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I unironically liked this song before the internet ruined it

I'll never forgive you fuckers

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
That last line happens to be a mixed metaphor, but who cares.

The song really is about selling one's soul in order to become successful, and the original drafts of the song were even more explicit in that fact.

Which makes it funny that...was it adidas? fuckin' nike?! used it as a song in the background of an ad. Honestly, that's the usage of the song that stuck with me, maybe because I only saw Shrek like once.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the other two songs people want to hear by them? Walking on the Sun and their cover of Accidentally in Love?

EDIT: Oh wait, shit. That was a Counting Crows cover. WHAT'S THE OTHER SONG THEN.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My friend dragged me to a Smash Mouth in-store performance once right when their first album came out. It was God awful, and the band members ignored every single male "fan" at the meet-and-greet afterwards and blatantly hit on the girls.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And they don't stop coming
And they don't stop coming X infinity

Sorry first thing I thought of

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The best version is the one that was translated into Aramaic and then back into English.

DkpHwt1W4AYq8Xw.jpg

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
My friend dragged me to a Smash Mouth in-store performance once right when their first album came out. It was God awful, and the band members ignored every single male "fan" at the meet-and-greet afterwards and blatantly hit on the girls.

Did you feel like the world rolled you?

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can you love a song both ironically and unironically?

All Star is genius. And also dumb.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
About a year ago, while in the midst of making fun of Smashmouth, I realized I liked a surprising amount of their catalogue lmao

What can I say, I'm a 90's kid.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
It is actually an incredibly well written, produced, and great sounding pop song. Solid instrumentation.

Listen, I will go to the fucking grave defending this as a fantastic verse.

"Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas?
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change"

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Listen, I will go to the fucking grave defending this as a fantastic verse.

"Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas?
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change"
Yep. In all seriousness, the song is fuckin' solid. I think people are just jealous they couldn't come up with it themselves lol
I've been a fan of the song since the first time I heard it. And usually if I like a song the first time, it doesn't age well at all and it leaves my rotation but I listen to this song so often. (Also helps that you can't escape it!)

I guess what I'm saying is, I embrace the song wholeheartedly into my life-stream.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I remember clutching my Korn and Rammstein CDs and hating this song like I was the Grinch looking over the people of Whoville who liked Smashmouth a lot.

Well them and Dave Matthews Band.

The Shrek memes made the song more tolerable to me but holy shit was All-Star the very textbook definition of happy bubble gum bullshit mainstream radio rock that both kids and adults alike can enjoy. It's just so god damn happy sounding.