• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
b3a97c51305a80efa79ed1fa4ebe6282.jpg

wHdXBqS.jpg

yQkURrT.jpg

2bf1a85d4633b707573701c4954a10f5.png

56bdb94002c86cc714151d39a5d42147.png

07744e946d094790336b91f67c70757b.png

9a82239bb86b57fc132521610bdccb0d.png

95cdc401ec3824efcb1f4fa7027aa1ab.png

471dd2ad88610981fcd9e4049ae27461.png

9d9f1c684efe73b3f23bf671870c3208.png

ee64657766f10444ffac65cc331c49a7.png

3995dc042dd5669b3c1654c004d9ea85.png

The soul destroyer that scarred all of us and created a permanent fear of abandonment, "now in 4K !" :

8e5493b9b56dc71948829336ff340b33.png

Comparison with the US bluray (which served as the international base minus a few countries...) :

c_image.png

c_image.png

c_image.png

c_image.png

c_image.png

c_image.png

The orange filter and the crushed blacks are gone.

The blue screens and matte paintings benefit tremendously from the cleaner scan too.

PS :
Atreyu's hair should be illegal. 25 years later I am still trying to get that hairstyle to work.

PS 2 :
Thread OST ;)

Hopefully the Constantine remaster gets ported for the rest of the world ...

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Those comparison shots are night and day on the color correction. Would snap this up immediately.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you make something like this region exclusive, thats insane.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man what's wrong with that US Blu-ray lol

This looks really nice. One of my childhood favorites, too bad they never made any sequels.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
The original theater version had the orange filter right? That's at least how I remembered it as a kid. It gave a very "end-of-the world" feeling to the entire setting. I'm not sure how I feel about them removing it. Just look at the difference in mood in this one picture for example.

Of course, I also liked the Deus Ex gold filter everybody seems to hate. So what do I know.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
But I thought UHDs arent region locked...
They're not, but the thing with German releases is that you have to look out for whether or not the original version is actually on the disc, as Germany really likes to dub everything and the original version isn't always guaranteed to be included.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The original theater version had the orange filter right? That's at least how I remembered it as a kid. It gave a very "end-of-the world" feeling to the entire setting. I'm not sure how I feel about them removing it. Just look at the difference in mood in this one picture for example.

Of course, I also liked the Deus Ex gold filter everybody seems to hate. So what do I know.

This is a shot from the original used in the old music clip

b06e17da9b3b0889c5b9ebc8fdbec88a.png

So they're both incorrect but also this is from a rip of a VHS so go figure what the original actually looked like.

This is a promo shot they used a lot :

MV5BMjI3ODk5Njk1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzIzNjMwNA@@._V1_.jpg

So that's pretty accurate to the new verison.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I think I've never gotten so many shivers down my spine as when I watched this film as a kid. The music and cinematography combined were amazing to me.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Man, what an improvement in those new shots. I'm not only sold on the new version, I know now to never bother with the existing one.

I watched this a lot as a kid (probably on VHS) and I remember those scenes in the Ivory Tower as being much more pinkish-white than dark orange. I'm sure there's been some variation in the different releases.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So OP, where did you see this? Because I can't find it anywhere. A Google search of NeverEnding Story 4K just brings me to this thread.

Jan 10, 2018
Released back in December for christmas business. Can be ordered via

Die Unendliche Geschichte - Blu-ray - Mediabook A: Amazon.de: Noah Hathaway, Tami Stronach, Barret Oliver, Sidney Bromley, Patricia Hayes, Wolfgang Petersen, Noah Hathaway, Tami Stronach: DVD & Blu-ray

Amazon.de - Kaufen Sie Die Unendliche Geschichte - Blu-ray - Mediabook A günstig ein. Qualifizierte Bestellungen werden kostenlos geliefert. Sie finden Rezensionen und Details zu einer vielseitigen Blu-ray- und DVD-Auswahl – neu und gebraucht.

Die Unendliche Geschichte - Blu-ray - Mediabook B: Amazon.de: Noah Hathaway, Tami Stronach, Barret Oliver, Patricia Hayes, Sidney Bromley, Wolfgang Petersen, Noah Hathaway, Tami Stronach: DVD & Blu-ray

Amazon.de - Kaufen Sie Die Unendliche Geschichte - Blu-ray - Mediabook B günstig ein. Qualifizierte Bestellungen werden kostenlos geliefert. Sie finden Rezensionen und Details zu einer vielseitigen Blu-ray- und DVD-Auswahl – neu und gebraucht.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
It's about time this movie gets a remaster that it deserves. It's been one of my favorite movies since I was a kid.

It looks fantastic.

SaulForex

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the book at the beginning of the year and I highly recommend reading if you like the movie.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man what's wrong with that US Blu-ray lol

From what I can gather, the film is a huge classic in Germany.

Warner remastered the movie several years ago, but the film they used had deteriorated over time, which led to additional grain and color degradation.

The Germans took notice and corrected the colors of the US version for their own normal bluray release at the time. But it didn't look great either.

In 2018/ 2019, Constantine decided to handle their own transfer, they had to clean the damage (some would argue they went a bit too far with DNR) then color correct and make it a 4K version to preserve details. It's not a flawless version but it's a great one, and a clear improvement over what we had gotten until this point.

So OP, where did you see this? Because I can't find it anywhere. A Google search of NeverEnding Story 4K just brings me to this thread.

I had just watched the US bluray and I wondered why it looked like that as I didn't remember it being this way... So I googled around and found a Bluray forum that kept gushing over the german version.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Die Unendliche Geschichte - Blu-ray - Mediabook A: Amazon.de: Noah Hathaway, Tami Stronach, Barret Oliver, Sidney Bromley, Patricia Hayes, Wolfgang Petersen, Noah Hathaway, Tami Stronach: DVD & Blu-ray

Amazon.de - Kaufen Sie Die Unendliche Geschichte - Blu-ray - Mediabook A günstig ein. Qualifizierte Bestellungen werden kostenlos geliefert. Sie finden Rezensionen und Details zu einer vielseitigen Blu-ray- und DVD-Auswahl – neu und gebraucht.

Die Unendliche Geschichte - Blu-ray - Mediabook B: Amazon.de: Noah Hathaway, Tami Stronach, Barret Oliver, Patricia Hayes, Sidney Bromley, Wolfgang Petersen, Noah Hathaway, Tami Stronach: DVD & Blu-ray

Amazon.de - Kaufen Sie Die Unendliche Geschichte - Blu-ray - Mediabook B günstig ein. Qualifizierte Bestellungen werden kostenlos geliefert. Sie finden Rezensionen und Details zu einer vielseitigen Blu-ray- und DVD-Auswahl – neu und gebraucht.
Ah. Very confusing that Amazon.de doesn't just promote it as a 4k version of the film and instead prioritises the 'Book' portion of the release.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

Whats the import to America cost? Does this have English audio?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
wait, why is it exclusive to Germany? Does it have English audio + subs and is it region-free?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that they'll release this master in actual 4k someday. Holding on till then, but it's oh so tempting!

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
wait, why is it exclusive to Germany? Does it have English audio + subs and is it region-free?
Michael Ende, the author of the book the movie is based on was German, and the movie was produced by a German company. Depending on what existing licensing deals are in place, you might eventually see the materials licensed for a more international release I suppose.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I guess a rights thing. Constantin has the rights to the movie and distribution rights in Germany, US is WB. No idea about other markets. German/english audio, german subs and yes.
sadly, this is not an uhd release. its a standard bluray.
Because it's based on a 4K Master but it's still a regular Blu-ray. There doesn't seem to be an actual UHD release.

Yup, I believe that since the film is huge in Germany, they felt it was worth reselling the exact same film on bluray with a couple of improvements from their new 4K transfer.

The distributors in the rest of the world are probably waiting for a proper/ official 4K release of the movie ?

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fantastic movie and NOT a "kids" movie if it were released today.
It's so damn unique!

Jean Valjean

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorites... wish they could do another version of it, adapting more from the book, maybe a trilogy a la Lord of the Rings

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, those are some beautiful stills.

Tied with Princess Bride for my favorite fantasy film. Lord of the Rings is great, but it just doesn't quite compare to the kind of raw imaginative power that this film channeled.