• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has got to be the most blatant example of dehumanizing in modern US politics. Where did it even come from? I'm assuming 4chan or Russian trolls.

NYT article highlights :

NPC means "nonplayable character" or "nonplayer character." It's a term, borrowed from the world of video games, for a character that is controlled by the computer rather than by a player. An NPC often advances the game's plot by saying scripted lines, or assisting the playable characters in some way.

A classic example of an NPC is Navi, a character in the 1998 video game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time who acts as a navigator for Link, the game's protagonist.

Several months ago, users on 4chan and Reddit, the online message forums, started using the term NPC to refer to liberals. These people, they said, join the anti-Trump crowd not because they are led by independent thought or conscience to oppose President Trump's policies, but because they're brainwashed sheep who have been conditioned to parrot left-wing orthodoxy, in the manner of a scripted character.

As a Reddit user, BasedMedicalDoctor, explains in a thread about the appeal of the meme, NPCs are "completely dependent on their programming, and can't do or think on their own."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/us/politics/npc-twitter-ban.html

Gross examples from Breitbart

NPC-13-groupthink.jpg

NPC-37-kavanaugh-protests-antifa.jpg

NPC-18-media-CNN-panel.jpg

More examples : https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018...-at-cartoons-mocking-their-scripted-thoughts/

Requested addition:

ZL5GVal.png

Guys, the OP isn't saying looking at the meme is making them want to hide under their bed, they aren't terrified in that sense. It's the viral promotion and dissemination of dehumanization from an already very unhinged and unstable group of people, likely aided by foreign influence to further destabilize the country. They aren't saying "the meme is scary", it's what it represents and what point we are at in our culture. To just laugh at the OP for "being scared of a meme" is to miss their message entirely.

Last edited:

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
Here y'all go:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/us/politics/npc-twitter-ban.html

Several months ago, users on 4chan and Reddit, the online message forums, started using the term NPC to refer to liberals. These people, they said, join the anti-Trump crowd not because they are led by independent thought or conscience to oppose President Trump's policies, but because they're brainwashed sheep who have been conditioned to parrot left-wing orthodoxy, in the manner of a scripted character.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add some examples thought it was current knowledge

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
It's some dumbass new meme where the people are basically saying the libs are "mindless drones".

Another example of conservative projection of course.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
got an example? i havent seen/heard of it yet

Alt rights are the only real people because there is a limited number of souls. Everyone else is a construct put into the world so that these Nazi fucbkois can show their mettle.

I'll add some examples thought it was current knowledge

It is scary that even after G*G* has made it to the top of the world's political sphere, people refuse to inform themselves on what is going on with these people. Misinformation leads to unpreparedness.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I found this article:

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2...yer-characters-by-creating-fake-npc-accounts/

As I noted the other day, the big thing among right-wing shitposters at the moment is the "NPC" meme — an attempt to insult and dehumanize so-called Social Justice Warriors by declaring them to be, in effect, a bunch of "Non-Player Characters" who respond to everything right-wingers say with a few meaningless catchphrases, much like NPCs in video games.

So, yes, the trolls are trying to convince the world (and, I suppose, themselves) that their opponents are basically repetitive robots by … all using the same insult against them at once. The NPC meme is even more of a self-own than the "cuck" and "soyboy" memes that preceded it.

Now they've upped their game — I guess you could call it that? — by creating dozens if not hundreds of obviously fake NPC Twitter accounts to prove that … well, I don't know what they're trying to prove, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
It's just another case of "I'm the only free thinker in this world and everyone else is sheeple".

I don't think it's all that terrifying. It's actually ridiculously easy to turn against the right.

060.jpg

Deleted member 47559

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I don't see what's terrifying about it at all. It's dumb, and wrong, but there's so much worse out there right now.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The alt right using the NPC meme to attack and mock the lefts idiots is really funny considering the Russian bots supporting right politicians.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what's terrifying about it at all. It's dumb, and wrong, but there's so much worse out there right now.

Wait until a kid that grew up in this environment goes on an NPC shooting spree. People cannot say they were not warned about this.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I heard rumblings of it making the rounds, but I didn't personally witness it until today on Twitter. It's so fucking transparent.

It's just another case of "I'm the only free thinker in this world and everyone else is sheeple".

I don't think it's all that terrifying. It's actually ridiculously easy to turn against the right.

060.jpg

Like this! They project so hard it's not even funny.

Oct 31, 2017
It's some dumbass new meme where the people are basically saying the libs are "mindless drones".

Another example of conservative projection of course.

Neogaffers are lapping it up. It's quite disturbing how much projection there is going on.

They portray the left as parrots who don't research any of their 'default' talking points.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

060.jpg
pretty much, it is kinda pathetic how you can force damn near any meme on imageboards these days as long you tie to wojack/pepe. People just hate OC I guess

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
From all of the examples everyone else besides the OP has provided, I don't see the issue.

Would be nice if the OP can actually provide some more context as to exactly what about this is supposedly terrifying.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like they're just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Like someone is conducting A/B testing.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Full projection since it's more often then not fake Russian troll accounts that spout conservative crap.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
It just seems kind of ironic and childish to me. I doubt it will widely catch on.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...Terrifying?

Its just lame.

Also you're giving them the reaction they want by the way.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Added to the Op, my bad guys I spend a little too much time on alt right sites just seeing what they say and this one is just so blatant with it's dehumanization.