• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I dunno, with horror it's all about execution. Texas Chainsaw doesn't show anything and it's one of the most memorable films in the genre. People got some real Mandella effect stuff coming out of that one, spinning up urban legend that the movie was super gory. But I see what you're saying, a bad movie is elevated by comedic violence sometimes.
That's a fair point about Texas chainsaw massacre. I remember watching it when I was younger and when I watched it again as an adult I was taken back by how tame it was compared to my memory.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not disagreeing at all, necessarily - was just picking your brain trying to have a discussion! I do love me some gory slasher kills for sure!
It's nearing 5am here so my brain is to mushy to poke at!
I dunno, with horror it's all about execution. Texas Chainsaw doesn't show anything and it's one of the most memorable films in the genre. People got some real Mandella effect stuff coming out of that one, spinning up urban legend that the movie was super gory. But I see what you're saying, a bad movie is elevated by comedic violence sometimes.
Movie got banned on VHS in sweden since a christian tv-channel got kids in front of a camera to say they saw the film and they described how bloody and gory the kills where. So yeah, urban legend indeed.

Same with Halloween. Not the ban, the execution. It's my all time favourite horror movie.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair point about Texas chainsaw massacre. I remember watching it when I was younger and when I watched it again as an adult I was taken back by how tame it was compared to my memory.
Funnily enough, Hooper was hoping TCM would be rated PG which is why he limited the violence onscreen

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried about the new Scream movie in development

It's so hard picturing it without Wes :(
Wes was so good at the meta stuff. It's a shame they're doing this at all.

I still maintain that New Nightmare is his meta masterpiece. Scream being more successful of course, but New Nightmare was so much more insane. Easily the best Elm Street movie too

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Not that a movie can't be scary unless it's rated R (it absolutely can), but a sub-R rating always feels to me like the moviemakers are handing me a blankie and saying "don't worry little boy, no matter what happens, things won't get too real!'

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wes was so good at the meta stuff. It's a shame they're doing this at all.

I still maintain that New Nightmare is his meta masterpiece. Scream being more successful of course, but New Nightmare was so much more insane. Easily the best Elm Street movie too

new nightmare is by far his most underrated movie -such a good meta horror movie

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I mean... I can't fault them if we're clearly not the target audience. Their target audience is young, teenage girls - and that's not to say that it still couldn't have been Rated R but I guess test screenings speak volumes. It does suck though if they originally wrote/shot it with Rated R in mind.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If it wasn't made to be PG-13 the edits will likely show. Which is a shame. I love the original and I thought the trailer for this looked good.

Krampus was PG-13 and it was brilliant. Same with Gremlins, so there's a market for PG-13 level Christmas horror but I suspect this is going to hurt. Not The Fog bad (the worst pg-13 remake of an R rated movie I know of), but this definitely cools my hopes.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
If it wasn't made to be PG-13 the edits will likely show. Which is a shame. I love the original and I thought the trailer for this looked good.

Krampus was PG-13 and it was brilliant. Same with Gremlins, so there's a market for PG-13 level Christmas horror but I suspect this is going to hurt. Not The Fog bad (the worst pg-13 remake of an R rated movie I know of), but this definitely cools my hopes.
I adore Krampus. Such an under rated movie. Feels like if it came out in the 80s it would be labeled a classic.

Oct 2, 2018

I actually actively dislike Krampus as it felt like it pulled its punches. Was so underwhelmed at how it seemed like a made for tv horror movie.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I saw this tonight and it's honestly one of the worst films I've seen all year. Tries to be a horror film about trauma/toxic masculinity/rape culture but is so extremely clumsy in treating all of them I was frequently embarrassed to be watching. Awfully edited "suspense" sequences, crappy jump scares, trailer spoiled almost everything. Only positive was the performances were decent. Shockingly inept otherwise.

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
I saw this tonight and it's honestly one of the worst films I've seen all year. Tries to be a horror film about trauma/toxic masculinity/rape culture but is so extremely clumsy in treating all of them I was frequently embarrassed to be watching. Awfully edited "suspense" sequences, crappy jump scares, trailer spoiled almost everything. Only positive was the performances were decent. Shockingly inept otherwise.

Well that's kind of what everyone was expecting. A shame though. We will always have the 70s version.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
I would give this a 5/10 for the first hour. Then that the last 30 minutes happens at a solid 0/10. Its a terrible, terrible movie. And I enjoy most horror. I was just looking for a fun slasher like Hell Fest or something.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I knew it was terrible just looking at the trailer, but wow this sounds even worse that no expected. What a shame this series deserves better.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Welp, that's disappointing. Looks like the 2006 version will continue to be my favorite

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
My expectations are high but it seems like most horror movies are PG13 right? I wish they weren't, but I think it inherently devalues a horror movie - especially one that doesn't need to be ultra violent like Black Christmas. Hopefully it surprises everybody and turns out to be really good.

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
From The Guardian review

Announced in June, with production starting later that month, and now out just under six months later, there's an inescapable, palpable sense of hurry throughout the 2019 iteration. It's quick, cheap-looking and entirely devoid of suspense, atmosphere and dramatic tension, so inept at times that it makes 2006's questionable remake suddenly seem like a misremembered masterwork. What's most surprising, and initially intriguing, about round three is that it's ultimately less of a horror film and more of a thinkpiece, a hodgepodge of buzzwords and ideas, aiming high but crashing into the snow.

Made in less than 6 months? Yikes. 2006 a masterpiece by comparison? Oof.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is unequivocally one of the worst theatrically released films of the decade. A joyless, passionless and absurd disaster that punches far above its class and winds up insulting and demeaning the very victims that it claims to be representing. It fails on nearly every conceivable level both artistically and technically and frankly deserves to be lost to time in gas station bargain bins if not a landfill. Fuck this movie to death and beyond.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Beerse, Belgium
I rate the original as being scarier than the original Halloween. The first remake is very poor and only has some gory moments to take notice. I won't even going to bother with this one.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
The original is a horror classic; sounds like the remake is destined for the Redbox trash collection.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I actually prefer the remake to the original because it's so fucking ridiculous. Rape revenge slasher and his one eyed sister murder everyone. The color saturation and camera angles really work for what it's doing.

Going to see the new one Saturday. Mildly excited for new holiday trash.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
These reviews sound just like the ones I read for the first remake minus the ultra violence. I at least hope that none of the cast from the original showed up for this shit.

May 24, 2019
To those who've seen it, was it obvious that it wasn't shot in America? (it was shot in New Zealand, without real snow as far as I know)

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
PG-13 horror can be fine and I think their reasoning makes sense, even if it probably wont end up that way. Not everything needs to be Cannibal Holocaust.

Edit: Looking at the reviews I'm thinking PG-13 is the least of their problems. Why are they pushing this movie so hard? I see so many trailers.

Oct 2, 2018
The Jeremy Jahns reveiw was pretty savage. He's called it dogshit and said its more of a thriller than a slasher.

gonna wait for streaming.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Also they gave away the twist in the trailers.

There is an additional twist which is only vaguely implied in the trailers. But it's so fucking stupid I just couldn't get on with it
the statue of the college's founder leaks a black goo which turns the frat boys into zombies who can be controlled to murder "troublesome" women

To those who've seen it, was it obvious that it wasn't shot in America? (it was shot in New Zealand, without real snow as far as I know)

Honestly not really. Though there is an obvious bit in the opening scene where a woman is dragged through "snow" that blatantly doesn't have the texture or granularity of real snow lmao

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
There is an additional twist which is only vaguely implied in the trailers. But it's so fucking stupid I just couldn't get on with it
the statue of the college's founder leaks a black goo which turns the frat boys into zombies who can be controlled to murder "troublesome" women

giphy.gif

Oh lord, I cannot wait for the Double Toasted review on this one. It sounds like a glorious clusterfuck.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I want you all to know that this film
really implies that we can maybe end toxic masculinity, sexual abuse and violence against women if we just break a couple of statues.

This also has one of the shittiest recreations of that jump scare from The Exorcist III which made me say "oh, fuck off" out loud in the empty theater that I saw this dogshit in.

Last edited:

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that was bad. It's very hard to not be patronizing, but its heart was clearly in the right place and it just couldn't do anything with it. There's definitely a movie out there to play off the modern feminist dread, but this ain't it. Not by a long shot.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
5 out of 10 for me, saw it this morning, I've never seen the other versions or original. I also didn't see a single trailer.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Black Christmas?

More like Beta Cuckmas amirite lol

This fucking sucked my god. And could you ever tell they hacked this to shit to get down to PG 13 including a cut so obvious it even cuts off a music cue before it's finished

It preaches the importance of Trans and other LGBT voices but everyone in this movie is aggressively heteronormative.

It's preachy as fuck but backs up absolutely none of it.

Do as I say not as I do.

Just an honest to god insult to feminism and the fight for equality.

Nov 1, 2017
Saw a commercial of it a few weeks back and was surprised, this is the second time they remade that movie. The first remake went full crazy and a bit disgusting.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I would have loved to have seen what this could have been if it 1) actually committed to any of the messages it preached, 2) didn't have a shoddy slowmotion climax that completely diluted even the potential that the landing could have at least been stuck, and 3) was R-rated

Best part of this was getting to see the Invisible Man trailer on the big screen. Elisabeth Moss won't let me down this bad