• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
The hype was huge before release but they didn't feel like quality content.
T.Hawk and Dee Jay? Those characters were uncharismatic as fuck.
I can't even remember the name of that shameless Bruce Lee ripoff. Just goes on to show what a total ripoff he was I guess.
Seriously now, did anyone ever enjoy playing as them?
Cammy was okay I suppose. Like Chun Li but better.
Discuss.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cammy is amazing. The rest... I have to agree though. Never warmed up to any of them.

giphy.gif

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dee Jay has the most drip out of all the SF2 cast come on now, show some respect.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
T.Hawk and Dee Jay both suck for sure but Cammy and Fei Long are absolute main stays.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never was a fan of T. Hawk and Dee Jay as well, so I'm about 50/50.

I need you to put respect to Fei Long's name though.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Dee Jay's thunder was stolen by his own cleverly designed Maximum pants

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think all 4 of them were fine additions to the cast. I guess the lamest one is T. Hawk, but he's got a baller stage theme so I can't dislike him either.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Cammy is dope

Fei Long is cool

T.Hawk sucks

Dee Jay has that one Canada Cup where Dakou pulled off the OCV in SF4

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Fei Long rocks. So nah. Cammy as well has stuck around and is super fun to use. Dee Jay has never been a character I've been any good with, but I seem to remember enjoying using him in Omega mode of USF4. T Hawk though... yeah can't disagree there, nice fight music though.

SSF2 itself though has always been super disappointing to me, always felt unfinished and painfully slow to play - no idea what Capcom were thinking at the time dropping the speed down after Turbo, just felt like going backwards. Sure we got the iconic SSF2T afterwards, which is the game Super always should have been but it just seemed weird for Super to even exist at all...

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
What universe are you from? Walking into the arcade to see Bruce Lee fucking up M Bison was a hype inducing moment. And being black and seeing that we had more than Balrog was always nice.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fei Long is one of my favorite SF characters, so hard disagree from me.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Fei Long is fun to play as but yeah, his design is just Bruce Lee. So many SFII characters stand out visually, but Fei Long is so plain. I guess you could argue Balrog is just Mike Tyson, but I feel his design has some uniqueness to it that Fei Long doesn't have.

Oct 26, 2017
It's always like that with Capcom. They throw out a bunch of new characters and some are instant classics and some are forgotten pretty quickly. Like, Rashid and Menat were amazing but noone will petition to get Fang or Devour-our-our in SF6.

And despite being fairly dull characters, Dee Jay and T.Hawk both got remade for both Alpha 3 and Super IV.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only dud is T Hawk for being crap and one of the most insensitive stereotypes in the game, the rest is baller. put down the bong water

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
OP is clueless... Cammy and Fei Long were both ground breaking at release.
Dee Jay and T Hawk are filler~ish if harmless, but Fei Long essentially created the rushdown archetype and Cammy is unquestionably one of the GOATs.
Thread backfire.

I'm pretty sure Fei Long predates any of SNK's rekka guys

but there might be some other no-name fighting game character out there who beat him to it
As a SNK>Capcom gal (only slightly though), I can't remember any example that predates Fei Long.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Most of us who remembered this coming out were kids / teens. It probably didnt matter as we were easier to please back in those days. I thought they were great at the time

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
The hype was huge before release but they didn't feel like quality content.
T.Hawk and Dee Jay? Those characters were uncharismatic as fuck.
I can't even remember the name of that shameless Bruce Lee ripoff. Just goes on to show what a total ripoff he was I guess.
Seriously now, did anyone ever enjoy playing as them?
Cammy was okay I suppose. Like Chun Li but better.
Discuss.

Naaah, Cammy and Dee Jay are some of my favourite characters and I loved how they implemented T-Hawk.

Fei Long is too much of a Bruce Lee wannabee, I agree, but overall they are a good set of extra fighters.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Cammy is one of the most popular fighting game characters ever. Fei Long is the best Bruce Lee clone. Dee Jay and T. Hawk got some extra racist designs (even for SF) but their movesets are hype.

So nah.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I remember the day the arcade we went to got this in - and there was a huge crowd around SSF2 all day, it was hard to get a look nevermind a play. The new stages looked great, the characters seemed fun, but within a week or two (literally it was that quick) all the regulars went back to the SF2 Turbo cabinets because they hated the drop in speed. I think it's fair to say the characters were underwhelming as a whole. But I think this was the point where they lost a lot of fans and should've made an actual sequel, they had already stretched it with CE and Turbo, and SSF2 being lacklustre, it read as low effort or simply not enough.

I don't think the new challengers offered anything unique enough compared to existing characters. They could've added some new styles of playing but just went with tweaking existing one with not much benefit. Now I'm not talking about Cammy in SF5 or whatever, I'm specifically talking about SSF2 and it's arcade reception here.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Dee Jay was conceived by American designer James Goddard, and he is the only one character in the mainline series to be conceived by an American. While Super Street Fighter II was going to feature Cammy, T. Hawk, and two brothers who had the same design save for a head swap,[5] Goddard felt that it would be redundant to have another pair of characters with the same fighting style. As a result, Capcom added Dee Jay in place of one of the brothers, while the other evolved into Fei Long.

The Japanese team asked Goddard for any more ideas for Dee Jay, which Goddard replied by suggesting kickboxer Billy Blanks. He commented that "a really kick-ass black character would be awesome, instead of someone who was more negative, which is what you tended to see from the Japanese back in those days."
streetfighter.fandom.com

Dee Jay

Dee Jay (ディージェイ, Dī Jei?, DJ), also known as the Music Superstar (ミュージック スーパースター, Myūjikku sūpāsutā?), is a video game character from the Street Fighter series, first appearing in Super Street Fighter II. He is a Jamaican kickboxer who has made enormous strides in fame in the Street Fighter...

I wonder if the brothers would have been Yun and Yang.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
T Hawk is one of the first characters to have a nice dive kick. Dhalsim had one too but it was too slow. Goukis is probably the most iconic but t hawks dive kick owns.
What universe are you from? Walking into the arcade to see Bruce Lee fucking up M Bison was a hype inducing moment. And being black and seeing that we had more than Balrog was always nice.
Balrog cant be beat though. What a bad ass

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
What's a rekka character? Someone with a forward-rush combination that requires inputting the same command three times?

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
They were there for diversity I guess, so it was fine. Like Camny was the second playable female character so it was kind of a big deal.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Mad disrespect for Fei Long here. Bruce Lee archetype was and is a thing in near every big fighter released, minus maybe VF but it features JKD style so there is that big thing too!

Fei Long gave us Rekkas! And his dang walk speed is no joke. His amazing f.MK, too.

Can't forget all the dragon noises from his stage belting out in the arcades. It's loud as hell but burned in my mind. Cigarette smell and those dragons (alongside Dhalsim's elephants) have stuck with me all these years. Good times.

I'm still sad he's not in SFV, man.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Cammy is awesome and whoever sculpted her model in SFV deserves a raise.

Fei Long is awesome too and has a killer theme.