• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Like many of you, I'm playing the new God of War. I just reached the base of the mountain, and I'm loving it!

It definitely deserves its place in the Meta Critic trinity alongside Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.

And the more I play, the more I see parallels to the legendary Resident Evil 4.

Namely:

- Consistent pacing: GoW has pretty much the perfect mix of light skirmishes and epic encounters... of tight spaces and open spaces... of forward progress and exploring off the beaten path. This may be RE4's finest quality — and it's very rare in games. GoW is masterful in its use of contrast, with quiet moments that make the loud moments "louder" and vice-versa. But those quiet moments are never dull. Rather my brain feels continually engaged on multiple levels.

When you're not fighting, you're using your boomerang axe to open new pathways — cutting ropes to drop bridges, freezing cogs in place to open gates, hitting revolving doors to spin them around. You're solving puzzles that feel quick and intuitive — snappy lil' brain teasers, woven into the world all around you.

It feels like there's a puzzle at every turn. They're simple but satisfying, making you feel smart, like a good Zelda puzzle. They never kill the pacing like the puzzles in the Uncharted series. And so far there have been a LOT of them — and the game has managed to keep them varied throughout.

The mileage the game gets out of its mechanics is astonishing — "multiplicative" gameplay like RE4, or more recently BotW. And the game practically showers you with rewards like EXP, silver, upgrades, armor, runes, etc. There are a huge variety of treasure chests, uncovered and opened in different ways. Sometimes you'll find multiple chests in the same area. Opening them all is addictive.

- Tight mechanics and crowd control: This might be one of the "best feeling" Western-made games ever, right up there with DOOM 2016. Everything just feels right. Kratos is fast and fluid with his quick turn, side-steps and dodge-rolling. Toggling his sprint feels good. Shield-parrying is fantastic, with a light touch of hit-pause for effect. The first boss plays out like a Platinum-style rival fight that skill-checks you on all these things.

And the combat feels so good! Throwing the axe to freeze enemies, pummeling foes with hand-to-hand combat, and then calling back the axe like a remote-controlled boomerang smacking multiple enemies on return... It looks great and sounds great — the axe glancing off level geometry with a clang and spray of sparks, as it twirls back to Kratos's waiting hand — and it feels great with the rumble deep in the controller.

But it's the way you use it for crowd control that reminds me of RE4. GoW has a similar camera perspective, close to the player's back in the thick of the action. Threats come from all directions, and onscreen icons indicate approaching enemies and incoming attacks. Like RE4, you're prioritizing targets, managing your melee and ranged options to zone some enemies while closing in on others. You can target limbs and faces, stunning enemies, and although Kratos is a grounded fighter (no jumping), he can reliably launch foes for air juggles. But often you'll find yourself backing off for space as you quickly become surrounded. This back and forth feels like RE4, delivering a similar rush of tension and release.

The optional enemies with purple health bars really put this into perspective. Sure, you could come back and fight them later when you're stronger — nothing in this game is missable, apparently — but I want to open that treasure chest now, and so I find myself kiting enemies that can one-shot me around a small arena, sparingly picking my shots with the axe, trying to make each throw hit them on the way back. It's exhilarating.

- The sense of a journey: As you explore, the world map is gradually uncovered, the fog lifting to reveal only the areas where you've been. Everything is interconnected, like a Bloodborne or Metroid. You can backtrack to earlier areas with new abilities, reaching new areas. You can backtrack to previous areas and encounter stronger enemies in new arrangements, as well.

But such detours are purely optional. You're free to stick to the critical path, traveling to the summit, and it's a continuous journey throughout. I imagine that by the time I reach the mountain peak, it'll feel like I did at the end of RE4, where I looked back on Leon's journey from the village through the castle across the island to the end. It lends the game a sense of grandeur and grounding. So, too, is the case with GoW.

And I think the effect is heightened by the fact the camera never cuts away. The camera is always following our heroes, so you're literally with them every step of the way — even those moments Kratos is launched high into the air, thrown deep into the side of a mountain, or slammed into the ground.

- The sense of progression: RE4 empowered the player with all kinds of upgrades that were balanced around an in-game economy of gold and treasure, powering up your firearms and expanding your attache case so you could pack in more items. GoW also has a lovely progression loop, where you sell artifacts for silver and use rare materials to craft and upgrade weapons, gear and talismans. You also fit slots with runes that provide passive benefits, and invest EXP in skill trees where each move is both simple to use and effective in combat.

Of course, these features exist in countless other games, as well. But it's the way GoW does it that feels so right. This ties in directly to the first point, where I discussed the game's consistent pacing with regards to exploration, combat and puzzle-solving. And it also ties into the point about the sense of a journey. The game is so balanced that you're continually rewarded with the means to enhance your character, yet there is sufficient enough challenge that you'll actually use your resources. It's the pacing of player growth that reminds me of RE4.

In conclusion: At the end of the day, everything comes together in a way that's more than the sum of its parts. It's not the presence of these features, which individually exist in other games, but rather their totality and execution that makes the game so damn good.

It's like the designers are having a dialogue with the players, speaking to us through carefully calibrated encounters and level design. Everything in GoW feels shaped by a higher intelligence, and in this way the game feels so thoughtful and "alive." This density of design, layering upon itself and building beautifully across hours of gameplay, is an RE4-like accomplishment that is so rare in the industry.

What a game!

Last edited:

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
So we can expect the next one to be mixed/bad games? And God of War 7 to be first person?
joking

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4 is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind while playing it. I wouldn't quite put it at RE4s level because of the single weapon thing, but if you told me the gameplay was a Max Payne 1 style kung fu mod of RE4 I'd almost believe you.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Very much feel the same way. I finished the main story and now doing some of the optional stuff but at the same time I started a second play through on the hardest difficulty just cause I wanted to experience the pacing all over again.

Resident Evil 4 is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind while playing it. I wouldn't quite put it at RE4s level because of the single weapon thing, but if you told me the gameplay was a Max Payne 1 style kung fu mod of RE4 I'd almost believe you.

RE4 also had a single weapon.

400px-C96MauserRed9.jpg

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The most important part for me is that it´s just a fucking blast to play. Extremely satisfying combat, exactly like RE 4.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm in bizarro world. I think the pacing is all over the place, at least from what I've played so far. The game does a lot of things right, but I wouldn't say pacing is one of them.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm absolutely hating is so far. New Kratos is such a wimp. Getting my ass beat by draugrs because the new combat feels terrible.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Thats exactly what i needed to hear you bastard

I think i might buy this game now >_<

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Reading this from you and being a massive RE4 fan, makes me even more hyped receiving the Pro GoW bundle together with a new LG C7 next week.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Funnily enough, Edge compared both in their latest issue too (just after their 8/10 review).

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying it a lot right now, but my only issue is that it feels like it has too many systems for its own good. But I'm super early yet, so these things might become more intuitive over time. Right now it's been a pretty linear experience, but they're giving you a lot of materials and items as if it's an open world one. I know that it opens up, but it's just a tad disorienting to have it feel like a linear action game but then drop a ton of collectibles and missions on you when you don't fully know if you'll be coming back.

This is the kind of problem that gets rectified as you continue on though, just noting that it's been an odd experience.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I think Corey Balrog said clearly Resident Evil 4 was one of the inspiration.

That shows - if needed - how Resident Evil 4 has been so influential in the industry.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Man you guys are hyping me up too much, I can't buy the game till it goes down to $40 since I am a cheapo, but I'm glad to hear it's really good. Can't wait till to buy it in the summer or Fall.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reaching BotW levels in this joint now.
I don't really think that's all that fair. While TC is his normal exuberant self (wouldn't have it any other way, love you bro), the game's level and combat design very obviously take a lot from Resident Evil 4. The main thing that sets it apart and solidifies it as a great addition is that they successfully managed to implement that design structure and game design into an open lite style world without hollowing the game out. It's a really fantastic game, and easily one of the better games this gen.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm in bizarro world. I think the pacing is all over the place, at least from what I've played so far. The game does a lot of things right, but I wouldn't say pacing is one of them.
I agree. I have a lot of problems with the story which maybe I'm about 12-15 hrs in? The main quest spins it's wheels for so long, I feel like everything I'm doing is getting the next key to getting to the place I need to go to. There hasn't been a lot happening so far.

Granted, maybe that feels in line with RE4 :P

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Getting used to the combat in both takes while. Still not properly using quick turn.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I have a lot of problems with the story which maybe I'm about 12-15 hrs in? The main quest spins it's wheels for so long, I feel like everything I'm doing is getting the next key to getting to the place I need to go to. There hasn't been a lot happening so far.
I think we've played about the same amount. There was a really cool boss battle early on and nothing so far has topped that yet.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
GOW even has the precision aiming and hit detection where hitining different limbs or the head have specific effects. Tripping, stopping attacks, headshots, etc

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
you're right, but it's much more dense, intricate, and massive than RE4 was

i think the most impressive thing about god of war is it having this brilliant, layered game design while switching to a 3rd person perspective and still, some friggin how, managing to maintain its sense of scale and awe

this game is a marvel

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is an interesting take as he's still brutalizing most every fantastical creature I've come across as far as I've seen. Wimp is not a word I would use to describe him lol
When we first met Kratos he takes on like 15 undead warriors right off the bat, then a Leviathan. Now a pair of undead are giving him trouble.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a character action fan once you know what you're doing and invest in some upgrades you are a whirlwind of death and its only vaguely similar to the Dark Souls games if you ask me.
Gotta get there first, and I'm stuck at the point where the fire throwing draugrs first come out. I tried doing it for half an hour and just gave up. The shield feels like it comes out instantly sometimes, and has a delay at others.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
i have cooled on the god of war series because the level of violence was a little over the top for me. not a criticism i expect everyone to share, just wasnt for me. this one seems a little deeper and more interesting to me. did they ease back on the violence at all?

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta get there first, and I'm stuck at the point where the fire throwing draugrs first come out. I tried doing it for half an hour and just gave up. The shield feels like it comes out instantly sometimes, and has a delay at others.
You're stuck where the enemies throwing projectiles at you first appear? That's super early, isn't it?

Your threat indicator is very helpful. Those subtle arrows tell you where threats are approaching, and they're white when the enemy is closing in, red when the enemy is about to attack you, and purple when a projectile is incoming.

Remember you can tap X once to side-step and double-tap it to roll. Roll when they start throwing stuff at you. :-)

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have cooled on the god of war series because the level of violence was a little over the top for me. not a criticism i expect everyone to share, just wasnt for me. this one seems a little deeper and more interesting to me. did they ease back on the violence at all?

Sort of. Its not as crazily over the top but Kratos still obliterates and fucks up most things he fights.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

It's still violent but nowhere near the levels of the previous games.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The game is violent, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable like it did in GoW3. It feels like Kratos is fighting to survive, efficiently dispatching foes that are already trying to kill him... Nothing drawn-out or cruel. And you're virtually always fighting mindless undead monsters that don't feel fear or pain.

The game apparently doesn't have any sexual content in it. On the whole, the tone feels more "mature," in a good way. Less gratuitous and more grounded. More thoughtful. :-)