• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to imagine a time when the currently trilogy is already over, but when that time comes I can definitely see them going to Egypt.

But what I really want to see is a game set in the fourth country they teased in GoW4. That is,
Japan

No.
There is enough Japan in video games

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Also technically some gods survived. Kratos didnt kill all greek Gods.
Yeah the goddess in GOW3 and some other ones. Would be awesome to revisit Greece again in the future to see how it looks like now.
"BOY these are called sandals and are the finest work of shoes from my former home. Dont wear boots, be better."
I imagined it in my head and it would totally be something he would say.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was the God of War in the Greek realms. Not in the Norse realms. The whole plot of God of War 3 is that the world is destroyed by Kratos mission for vengeance (which turns out to just be the Greek world). He rules nothing in the Norse realms, no one worships him, no one serves him. He's also never referred to as the "God of War" in the newest game, it's only implied at best, and even that is stretching how far he links himself to the concept of War, he's the only one who truly knows. The game is called that because it connects Kratos to a new world, it's continuing his story. It wouldn't make sense to call it "God of War" without Kratos.
The game explicitly refers to him as a god though. It's like the entire driving force of the plot.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.
There is enough Japan in video games

No, there isn't.

We have Yakuza, which sticks to small suburbs and Persona, which is heavily stylised and even smaller in Japanese areas to visit.

People still want to see proper AAA Japan presentations from the likes of Assassin's Creed or Forza Horizon. So it would be cool to see God of War do it too.

Just not for a while I think.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I subscribe to the Kratos=Tyr theory, and I feel that God of War 5 or 6 will involve time travel and a location switch before finally going back to Norse mythology for the final showdown

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
He was the God of War in the Greek realms. Not in the Norse realms. The whole plot of God of War 3 is that the world is destroyed by Kratos mission for vengeance (which turns out to just be the Greek world). He rules nothing in the Norse realms, no one worships him, no one serves him. He's also never referred to as the "God of War" in the newest game, it's only implied at best, and even that is stretching how far he links himself to the concept of War, he's the only one who truly knows. The game is called that because it connects Kratos to a new world, it's continuing his story. It wouldn't make sense to call it "God of War" without Kratos.
The other character in the new God of War certainly do recognise he's a God of some sort, he didn't stop being a God when he entered that realm. And Atreus connects to Kratos which connects to God of War - at this point it just seems like you don't want Kratos to not be the main character, which is fine, but there's no in-game logic for why Atreus couldn't become the new God of War, I'd actually argue it's heavily implied it will happen, one of the themes I actually thought the new God of War did well (didn't really like how they handled the women characters, and thought they were skimping over the fact Kratos is a horrible father to have feel good moments at the end, but hope they end up showing it later in the next games).

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
The game explicitly refers to him as a god though. It's like the entire driving force of the plot.
That's the only way they can understand why he is so powerful, they never even guess what he is the god of. It doesn't matter to them.
The other character in the new God of War certainly do recognise he's a God of some sort, he didn't stop being a God when he entered that realm. And Atreus connects to Kratos which connects to God of War - at this point it just seems like you don't want Kratos to not be the main character, which is fine, but there's no in-game logic for why Atreus couldn't become the new God of War, I'd actually argue it's heavily implied it will happen, one of the themes I actually thought the new God of War did well (didn't really like how they handled the women characters, and thought they were skimping over the fact Kratos is a horrible father to have feel good moments at the end, but hope they end up showing it later in the next games).
Who's God of War would Atreus be? The Greeks are all dead, there's no title to take unless you play with your imaginary friends. And Tyr is the God of War in Norse mythology. There's no throne for him to take. If they go somewhere else, is Atreus or a new character going to kill that other mythology's God of War?

And you're exactly right, I wouldn't be happy with Kratos being killed off when they just made his story so interesting and made him a great character. I don't care enough about people's desire to have a game set in Japan (lets be honest, Japan gets enough attention in games). And of course if you view God of War through a 21st century secular-progressive lens you aren't going to like how they depict certain things. Of course Kratos is a bad father, he was a spartan, they all die in combat before their kids are 3 years old lol. And Vikings did the same. He perfectly fits in with both mythologies, especially with the story they are trying to tell.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I subscribe to the Kratos=Tyr theory, and I feel that God of War 5 or 6 will involve time travel and a location switch before finally going back to Norse mythology for the final showdown
I can see that.

I mean GoW has had time traveling since GoW2 so it is very possible for this to be true. The world serpent is Atreus's son that went back in time after fighting Thor so we already have some time travel shenanigans going on.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
No, there isn't.

We have Yakuza, which sticks to small suburbs and Persona, which is heavily stylised and even smaller in Japanese areas to visit.

People still want to see proper AAA Japan presentations from the likes of Assassin's Creed or Forza Horizon. So it would be cool to see God of War do it too.

Just not for a while I think.
Completely agreed. Japan was much more represented in earlier gens like the PS2 than now. You had games like Onimusha, Genji, Way of the Samurai, etc. A lot more of the Persona games as well than we have currently.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's an interesting theory. Considering that the Norse mythology has it's own version of the sisters of fate I think Kratos and Atretus will try to stop Ragnarok from happening, but ultimately fail.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's spoken a bit about this before. His wife is Swedish and from I recall he's said that she encouraged him to do a lot of research on Norse mythology.

ProteinePlus

Jun 11, 2018
Would have loved Egypt over Norse

Totally agreed. I would have preferred the Egyptian myth by far. Contrary to what some are saying in this thread, I believe that Norse mythology is over represented in video games... there are currently several games dealing with it available right now in the store. If we count also last generation, the number is impressive. I would say that this Norse/Viking lore has been done to death. Also, I believe that Egyptian myth is more authentic and historically documented.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Im sure Egypt would have been amazing, but the Norse setting feels absolutely perfect for Kratos. They made the right choice.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the only way they can understand why he is so powerful, they never even guess what he is the god of. It doesn't matter to them.
...so?

Like half the dialogue in the game is Kratos teaching Atreus what it is like to be a god, and the responsibility they have to be better than the gods that came before.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with just about any mythology but Japanese, we've had enough games set there in other franchises.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want Kratos to gain the ability to open world travel to these other realms. Kill some good for a unique item and move on.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People that claim there hasn't been Japanese mythology or folklore represented in recent games must have missed Nioh, Shadows Die Twice, and the Orochi games.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Egypt will be a great choice if they fill in what we don't know with space Egypt and other non-canon stuff. I want to see crazy shit.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
People talk about egypt and japan but it would be also interesting to see

Celtic mythology that was also teased in the game.

Its also hinted at that Mirmir came from the celtic lands. He tells in one of the boat stories that he came from another land like Kratos.

Thats why he also has his scottish accent.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What we're all the other "world's" that they referenced

I can only remember the South American and Egyptian ones

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We need early colonial American mythos.
Sea monsters, Big Foot, Moth man, jersey devil, witches, devils, demons etc, native Americans, Native American spirit animals, pagans etc.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
How and why? Besides, GoW without Kratos its like Legend of Zelda without Link.

I have to agree, even though I absolutely hated him as a protagonist by the time the third game rolled around. But they did a lot too evolve and mature his character that I would not want to give up playing him again so soon now. So I think it's pretty clear they're setting the stage for a successor at some point, so at the same time that isn't strictly necessary either. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always think about the pharaohs as the most powerful figures of ancient Egypt, but Kratos could snap any mortal pharaoh in half. They are just humans. Would they make the pharaohs superhuman?
The Norse gods are far weaker in their religious origins than the way GoW portrays them. Look it up; they don't even have true eternal youth. All-powerful deities as a concept is a relatively recent invention in human history.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly confident in this studio doing any setting well, but I am definitely glad they chose Norse just simply because I played AC Origins over a few months (still have to play DLC) and it would have been a little repetitive playing GOW in the same setting.

It also was a nice juxtaposition to have American Gods which dealt a little with Norse mythology as well as of course all the Thor movie stuff that kind of made an alternative take on Norse mythology fun to play through.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
People that claim there hasn't been Japanese mythology or folklore represented in recent games must have missed Nioh, Shadows Die Twice, and the Orochi games.
No one said that (unless I looked over it, and if so, apologies). We're talking about Japan in general, and the comment was that there has been too many games set in Japan, to which some of us disagree. Compared to previous generations like the sixth (to which had dozens), this generation has only had a handful.

Then again, I guess for some, overall there might have been even though there hasn't been that many comparatively this gen, and to me, that's what counts.

Honestly, most cultures are pretty unexplored though. Japan is definitely explored a lot more than say the Aztecs or Mayans.

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel like it would get old to just have them hopping from mythology to mythology every 3 games.

The way God of War 2018 was set up, there's no reason why they can't just start mixing shit in the same trilogy, instead of it being 3 games of Kratos killing some gods and dealing with the end of the world over and over again. Make a less grand story involving gods from different regions, it could be cool.

Now, that would be cool.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want the franchise to fall into "Kratos and Son kills ALL the mythological Gods." It would've been cool to have seen Egypt as a setting, but I'm also happy with the direction the final game did take, and I don't want the team to contrive a reason for why Kratos and Atreus somehow made it to Egypt post-GoW.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its gonna flames when Re and Amun combine at the end during the last boss fight

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Egyptian gods feel more iconic in pop culture to me than Norse gods. I think it would've been really cool.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
i could defintelly of seen some criticism in terms of race, if they went the egyptian route

"kratos a white greek man slaying PoC egyptians"

Norse, was the safer choice I think
That's an extremely contemporary point of view. At the time there was no real concept of "Europe", and the Mediterranean states were the center of the known world. And of course they would soon both be part of the Roman empire.

I want Egypt eventually but it would be interesting to see Buddhism or Hinduism after the Norse story concludes.
Don't Hindu conservatives loose their shit every time someone tries to take creative liberties with one of their gods? It's generally much easier to deal with religions that are no longer being worshiped.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't Hindu conservatives loose their shit every time someone tries to take creative liberties with one of their gods? It's generally much easier to deal with religions that are no longer being worshiped.

Probably, Buddhism could maybe be done though, they both just have really colourful deities and histories to draw from which would contrast really well to the Norse setting.