• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery just came out on smartphones recently. It's an RPG set in Hogwarts as you play through the life of a student. You attend classes, explore the castle, learn spells, and live out your student life. They're even going to be adding stuff like dating and slice of life elements, basically making this the Harry Potter RPG we've always wanted.

Except... it's not. You see, this game is free to play, which, most mobile games are, so that's okay. Harry Potter Hogwarts Mystery functions on a principle of giving you "energy"- you require energy to perform even the slightest actions, and you always have a limited pool. Energy regenerates over time. Again, this is standard fare.

This is where it gets bad, though. Your pool of Energy is not adequate for the tasks the game gives you. In fact, most of the times, your Energy runs out halfway through you doing whatever you are supposed to be doing. At that point, you have two options: either you stop playing, or you spend money to buy more Energy.

But wait! You can't actually wait for Energy to regenerate, because a lot of the tasks are timed, where you are required to complete them within an hour or so- and your Energy doesn't regenerate fast enough for that. So, either you purchase Energy- or you fail the task.

But wait, there's more! If you could earn ways to buy Energy in game, this wouldn't be quite as bad. Except, nope, it's either you pay with real world money, or you don't buy Energy. There is no way to earn any currency to use towards Energy in game- you either pay, or you fail.

And what happens when you fail? Why, you get a lovely animation showing your character on screen failing, which can often be as pleasant as watching a Devil's Snare strangle your 11 year old kid character to death.

It's lovely.

I know mobile games are free, and I know a free game needs microtransactions to support itself- but this is ridiculous, sorry. Microtransactions are a necessary evil for free to play games, but when they are compromising game design and balance to this degree, and basically becoming just a way to hold your actual game from ransom- well, fuck them, and fuck the game.

Harry Potter is one of the most popular and beloved properties in the world. This shit is going to blow up and become big, like Battlefront did. Even though this is free to play and not RNG, the actual extent of microtransaction implementation is so egregious, it will blow up in their face nonetheless.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. I'm not a Harry Potter fan but I read your whole post.

F2P games are a cancer upon this industry. Especially licensed ones.
I don't think F2P games are bad in and of themselves- look at Fortnite! That's an F2P game done well.
But this is literally all the worst possible excesses of microtransactions and free to play gaming wrapped up in one rancid package.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Embarrassing. I wasn't very interested anyways despite loving Harry Potter, but that is just sad. You'd think such a huge franchise would have higher standards of quality.

Dec 2, 2017
More terrible F2P mobile games well I never. I tried playing that Spider-Man endless runner but after a point it becomes nearly dependant on MT's so I gave up.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I've found as long as you have full energy before you start a task and wait for it to regenerate fully (about an hour and a half), it works out okay enough. The energy mechanic still wrecks the pacing though, and they often have mandated wait times before story events.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate when games unnecessarily restrict your ability to do things. By the way Phantom Thief , why don't you go to bed? You look tired. ;p

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter is one of the most popular and beloved properties in the world. This shit is going to blow up and become big, like Battlefront did. Even though this is free to play and not RNG, the actual extent of microtransaction implementation is so egregious, it will blow up in their face nonetheless.
There's a shitload of Star Wars F2P games on mobile with MTs far worse than Battlefront and nobody gave a shit.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for a fully 3D, open world Hogwartz Harry Potter game where you create a character in which you're the school's new student and you attend for a few years throughout the game. You meet characters like Potter, Ron etc., choose characters in your party, explore the castle, the forest, solve puzzles, level up, attend classes to determine your "class" and abilities all the while enjoying an evolving plot based around your actions with each year ending with what school won with the most points.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this has been really disappointing to hear about this game. I'm all for f2p and all that (FE Heroes, PvZ2 and Paladins are just a few great one off of the top of my head) but there is a line and there have been more than a few notable games to have crossed it. Here is a great video summary of the problem:

To me these aren't games. The nebulous gameplay that is locked away behind this nonsense isn't worth putting up with when the (obvious) focus was on the monetisation.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And this has a 4.7 rating on the App Store so it's "one of the good ones."

This is why no one cares about mobile games.
Many of those reviews need to be fake and/or from hardcore fans who give zero fucks. I wrote a very negative review that I saw disappear. I don't know if I broke some rules with reviews but I'm not about to go back and review it again.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I deleted it after like two minutes when the first energy meter appeared on screen. I am so over dealing with that bullshit.

Nov 8, 2017
So I searched for info about the game and found this.

Whereas state of the art games like God of War cost ~£45, these developers provide "microtransaction" options that imply an expectation that players want to spend £100 on some F2P mobile trash.

I have no words.

IMG_7470.PNG

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
Except... it's not. You see, this game is free to play, which, most mobile games are, so that's okay. Harry Potter Hogwarts Mystery functions on a principle of giving you "energy"- you require energy to perform even the slightest actions, and you always have a limited pool. Energy regenerates over time. Again, this is standard fare.

This is where it gets bad, though. Your pool of Energy is not adequate for the tasks the game gives you. In fact, most of the times, your Energy runs out halfway through you doing whatever you are supposed to be doing. At that point, you have two options: either you stop playing, or you spend money to buy more Energy.

But wait! You can't actually wait for Energy to regenerate, because a lot of the tasks are timed, where you are required to complete them within an hour or so- and your Energy doesn't regenerate fast enough for that. So, either you purchase Energy- or you fail the task.

But wait, there's more! If you could earn ways to buy Energy in game, this wouldn't be quite as bad. Except, nope, it's either you pay with real world money, or you don't buy Energy. There is no way to earn any currency to use towards Energy in game- you either pay, or you fail.
Funny my wife is almost done with the first chapter and hasn't spent a dime on it. We have both been able to complete 8 hour classes with out issue.

I haven't failed a single challenge yet and I don't think she has either.

I really think you are blowing things out of proportion here.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mobile is one of the biggest gaming platforms around, so don't know I would say "no one" cares.
No one does care. Consumers have total apathy towards mobile games, because they're disposable to them, and they would rather play something for 30 minutes and move on than pay the price of one coffee to play it forever without issues. Developers are aware of consumer habits, and they don't care about actually making good games, they're in it for a quick buck by and large.
The race to the bottom has killed mobile gaming. Satoru Iwata was right.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sounds like a bullshit mobile game alright

I wish we could hire late 2010s era Bioware to make a HP RPG

Custom character, common room is your home base (basically your Normandy) and then each area of the school is it's own hub where missions take place

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love HP and installed it to check it out. It's utter garbage. Played for about half an hour and uninstalled it.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the tasks that take your energy bar twice over are 3 hour limits. Your bar should fill again within that time. It's still really lame to have to be sure to come back in the allotted time.

The biggest BS IMO is the pay or wait limit they put on they storyline.

Wait 3 hours to talk to rowen and continue or pay us a couple bucks to unlock it now!

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny my wife is almost done with the first chapter and hasn't spent a dime on it. We have both been able to complete 8 hour classes with out issue.

I haven't failed a single challenge yet and I don't think she has either.

I really think you are blowing things out of proportion here.
Am I?

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery forces you to pay - or wait - to save a kid from being strangled
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery game criticised for forcing player to "pay or wait" to save your character from being strangled
HARRY POTTER: HOGWARTS MYSTERY PLAYERS UPSET WITH USE OF MICROTRANSACTIONS
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery's in-app purchases, wait times turning players away

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this put out by Warner? Add it to the list of mounting evidence about why they're the greediest fucks in the publishing game.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of great F2P games, most of them are not mobile games. The expectations and acceptance of terrible bullshit business practices on mobile are upsetting. They can get away with this on mobile, because people allow it.

Even companies like Nintendo which at least tried to be better on mobile are going "We aren't earning on mobile what we'd like" because they're looking at these terrible gacha titles that squeeze out extraordinary profit margins from the mass market with awful business practices and games. I've been waiting the better part of a decade for the mobile market to become saturated enough that they would actually have to compete and make good games. Nothing has changed.

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been giving it much more of a pass than i usually do because hey it's Harry Potter, but i'm seriously losing my patience with it. I'm almost at the end of the first year and so far i got one measly extra energy point towards increasing the limit. It's ridiculous. In contrast, my partner has been playing Marvel Strike Force, and though it gets grindy, they shower you with extra energy and the first hours of play are very generous, letting you actually get into the game before annoying you. HP is just badly balanced and designed.

I play a lot of mobile games but i tend to gravitate towards games that you can pay once and have full access. I wish more devs went that route but gotta keep chasing those whales i guess.

As an aside, does anyone else find the animations in this game the goofiest shit ever? And those mouths are nightmare fuel :/

Dec 4, 2017
There's a lot of great F2P games, most of them are not mobile games. The expectations and acceptance of terrible bullshit business practices on mobile are upsetting. They can get away with this on mobile, because people allow it.
This. There are lots of decent to good F2P games. Most either aren't on mobile, or have started first on PC then transitioned to mobile.
Pretty much every mobile-only, or mobile-centric F2P is various levels of predatory.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this blows them in the their faces and got really bad press.
The worst of all, is the base idea of this game is what everyone want in a real console/pc harry potter game.

So I searched for info about the game and found this.

Whereas state of the art games like God of War cost ~£45, these developers provide "microtransaction" options that imply an expectation that players want to spend £100 on some F2P mobile trash.

I have no words.

IMG_7470.PNG

You know you could leave out the God of War is art thing and still have a compelling argument, right?
Like, normal priced console/PC games with lots of resources put into them and years of work normally tend to cost 60euros instead of this mobile f2p trash asking for whatever disorbitant price you need to play them regularly.

heck, even things like fortnite battle royale are still free and there are better designed than this cashgrab.

Last edited:

t67443

Oct 30, 2017

I got past that with out paying a dime. I closed the app did some chores around the house opened the app and finished it got the next bits of story and went to bed.

The game is not difficult and with how simple it is. If you need to rush thru it and finish it in an hour I can see how it would be a problem but what's the rush about being able to complete it in one sitting?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got past that with out paying a dime. I closed the app did some chores around the house opened the app and finished it got the next bits of story and went to bed.

The game is not difficult and with how simple it is. If you need to rush thru it and finish it in an hour I can see how it would be a problem but what's the rush about being able to complete it in one sitting?
If a game won't let me play it on my terms, then it can go fuck itself.
Imagine if God of War told you Atreus was tired after every 20 minutes, and forced you to take a 3 hour break before you could resume playing.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a bullshit mobile game alright

I wish we could hire late 2010s era Bioware to make a HP RPG

Custom character, common room is your home base (basically your Normandy) and then each area of the school is it's own hub where missions take place
Yep. That's the biggest disappointment in this game. It's pretty much what a lot of HP fans have wanted, but instead of being a high-budget game with a lot of effort, it's a cash-grab with bland characters, bland writing, and just wanting a lot of kids to spend money to have tasks automatically go by.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Isn't this game already making mad money? I doubt they'll change their practices too much if it's profitable for them.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that sounds criminal. I'm not that surprised, but it's still amazing to see to what depths humanity will sink for some cash.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this game already making mad money? I doubt they'll change their practices too much if it's profitable for them.
I think it hit #3 last week? I'm more interested if the model can keep that up over time. It's not really a long game where people are encouraged to keep going on and doing something.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Short term profits for burning your fans off in the mid to long term?
It might be making money now, but the mobile market is fickle to begin with, Pokemon Go is based on a far bigger franchise, and was designed far better in terms of monetization, and even it tapered off. This thing will crash, I hope it does.

Oct 27, 2017
God, mobile games are still doing that shit?

Why hasn't everyone learned from the likes of Overwatch and Fortnite that a good game can make a ton of money on cosmetics alone?

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've found as long as you have full energy before you start a task and wait for it to regenerate fully (about an hour and a half), it works out okay enough. The energy mechanic still wrecks the pacing though, and they often have mandated wait times before story events.

This is true. The only challenges I've failed are some of the 8 hour ones because I've fell asleep.

Not that it matters. It's still one of the most egregious examples of f2p done horribly I've ever seen.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
God, mobile games are still doing that shit?

Why hasn't everyone learned from the likes of Overwatch and Fortnite that a good game can make a ton of money on cosmetics alone?
They certainly wouldn't in the current state of this game. Your default outfit looks a lot better than cosmetic stuff that would cost TWENTY dollars in the game. And it's not even online, so you can't even show it off or anything.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol yes, can't believe people still use that excuse in an era when we have something like Fortnite or Warframe.

Nowadays I hear free, and I get ready to run as far away as I can. Warframe, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Let It Die, Fortnite and a few other titles have been the exceptions for me. And that's a blip on the F2P map, they're very much still the exceptions, not the rule. And when you from a business standpoint look at how loony tunes the investment:profit margin is on games like Clash of clans, Fire Emblem gacha and so on. You can't really blame them. Companies aren't evil, they just do what they can get away with.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
If a game won't let me play it on my terms, then it can go fuck itself.
Imagine if God of War told you Atreus was tired after every 20 minutes, and forced you to take a 3 hour break before you could resume playing.
Cause I've never played a game where I needed to wait for my stamina to come back or health to regenerate before I continue a mission or anything. Never played a game where I had to scrounge for every last piece of ammo. Never played a game where I could not traverse the land because my jump timer wasn't ready yet. I've never played a game where I had to wait before I could use an ability.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Basically this. I don't start an activity until I have full energy, usually I can't finish it using that energy, I wait for it to be maxed out again and then I finish it off.

I bet most of the people complaining don't have the patience to wait for it to refill before doing stuff. It's especially ridiculous seeing all the complainers on Facebook who are clearly playing a free to play game for the first time.

I'm nearly through with year 1 and have not had to spend a penny, or been tempted to do so. And I've never been unable to do anything.

There has been couple of times where real life has got in the way and I can't come back to finish an activity, so I wait until I have the free time to do it and then try again.

I'm in no rush, and neither should anyone else. If you want to play the game free then have patience, it's that simple.

Also all of the paid costumes are hideous and nobody in their right mind would buy them.