• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
This is so cool wtf

Why is nobody talking about this, this is a huge deal! I don't even play League anymore but this makes me so happy, I thought Akshan would be a one and done with Riot being happy with checking a box but no!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cool design. I don't, and won't, play League, but always appreciate a good character design.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Character model looks a little odd in-game but I can't really pinpoint why, even though the design is cool. Those VFX are amazing too. Kit looks fun. Is she a mid laner or jungler or somethin?

Maybe ill check her out when the GP integration comes so I can save myself some blue essence 😂

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
Isn't LoL taking place on an imaginary world called Runeterra? But I guess you mean her design's rooted in south asia culture?

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Ok, its good us folks are getting representations from South Asia, but what's up with the thick Indian accent? There's tons of us in the west as well. And there are more than 7+ countries in South Asia who speak British English without such stereotypical heavy accents. Anyways, its alright, but the design is cool.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I like that her name Nilah is likely derived from Sanskrit नील [nīl], meaning 'blue'. Fits with her water theme and blue motif, as opposed to being a random Indic name.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play League, but I hope she has a shot of making it in the fighting game they're working on.

OP
OP
SunshinePuppies

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Ok, its good us folks are getting representations from South Asia, but what's up with the thick Indian accent? There's tons of us in the west as well. And there are more than 7+ countries in South Asia who speak British English without such stereotypical heavy accents. Anyways, its alright, but the design is cool.

I'm happy that the English speaking population in the Indian subcontinent can identify with her though. I agree that I wish there was more range there but rn hard for me to be discerning when representation for South Asia is in the sorry state that it is.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
great design and animations
Teach me how to make better life choices.
giphy.gif

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I'm happy that the English speaking population in the Indian subcontinent can identify with her though. I agree that I wish there was more range there but rn hard for me to be discerning when representation for South Asia is in the sorry state that it is.

True. It just irks me, we have like 8 countries in the region and its really diverse. Apparently, all of South Asia is India to game developers. Unique ones being Afghanistan, Maldives, Bhutan and Nepal. Outside of that India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh usually share the same ancient Sanskrit language as base with similar cultures even if there is a difference in religion.

But yea, you're right, even getting this representation from "Blue" aka Nilah is literally a miracle at this point. I think the biggest representation we have is Chloe from Uncharted but she's a mix. And Farah from the Prince of Persia games? I haven't played Raji but will try to soon.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nevr had any interest in this game, but that is a cool character design. Almost makes me want to try it out...

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Her accent sounds off because it's very much an imitation, likely by someone raised outside of South Asia.

Actual English-speaking South Asians usually have a much heavier accent than this, and with a rhythm that is closer to Indic languages than to natively-spoken English.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Her accent sounds off because it's very much an imitation, likely by someone raised outside of South Asia.

Actual English-speaking South Asians usually have a much heavier accent than this, and with a rhythm that is closer to Indic languages than to natively-spoken English.
Do we know the actress? You might be right, but best to check. It can often be that accents don't conform to exactly what we think they should sound like.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nvm, don't want to fuel rumours on who the VA is until confirmed.
I saw a couple of those two, which would be bad, but best to check before we say. I do hope it isn't an imitation, of course.

I have some thoughts on accents, putting in spoilers as not to derail the thread.

I know two people who were native, French and Singapore, and both learned a lot of their English from watching TV/films. speaking in their native languages they both had very thick accents, but the French guy sounded Amercian putting on a French accent when speaking English (he joked about this a lot), and the Singaporeon had slight accent and mostly sounded English. And while both had travelled, they had lived all their lives in their native countries.

Of course, its better to go for broder representation especially as everything is so Amercian/Anglocentric, but before we know it's best not to say it's an imitation.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
There's like almost 2 billions South Asians in this world, it's long overdue.

OP
OP
SunshinePuppies

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020

I don't like to give too much weight to this kind of thinking as my father has a very uncharacteristic accent in English considering his country of origin.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Teach me how to make better life choices.

I must have un-installed/re-installed League like 4 times before I finally committed to keeping it uninstalled... been League free for more than 2 years now (even thought I spent a ton of money on skins) and couldn't be happier, more time to play other games and even though Riot hooked me again on Valorant, I find my self pacing myself a lot and not worrying about my rank in comp as much as I used to do.

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I must have un-installed/re-installed League like 4 times before I finally committed to keeping it uninstalled... been League free for more than 2 years now (even thought I spent a ton of money on skins) and couldn't be happier, more time to play other games and even though Riot hooked me again on Valorant, I find my self pacing myself a lot and not worrying about my rank in comp as much as I used to do.
I'm on the verge mate.

On one hand, it's one of the few games I can play with IRL friends and each game is immediately engaging and there is a dopamine rush to outplaying someone.

On the other hand, no game affects my mood as adversely. I've never been a rager in games, rather I just quietly get more and more bummed out when it's loss after loss.

I've plenty of other games to play yet I find myself defaulting to this if I find a spare hour.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fucking sick. Cant wait to play her. But also I dont want to play against her either because she looks like she will harass the shit out of whoever she lanes against lol.

I have been playing mostly WR these days as its easier and games are shorter, so I hope she comes there soon.

On the other hand, no game affects my mood as adversely. I've never been a rager in games, rather I just quietly get more and more bummed out when it's loss after loss.

I've plenty of other games to play yet I find myself defaulting to this if I find a spare hour.

Its def not everyone's cup of tea but Wild Rift is a lot of fun and I find it way less rage inducing. The games are about 2/3rds shorter and I find it overall less serious than PC LoL. When I would lose an hour long game in LoL, it was soul crushing. Losing in WR is just like "eh what ever ill get em next time" sort of feeling.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Neat.

Put her in Project L.

But if it ain't Project L or Arcane, I really don't care, I'm not playing League.

Feb 15, 2019
Why is nobody talking about this

It's a PC game that's not on console or on Steam that's basically multiplayer only and PvP only. That's like Era's biggest nightmare. AND the game's community is also incredibly toxic to boot.

What's going on with all these 'not playing Lol' comments? What am I not aware of?

Asides from the things I mentioned above which would already make Era ignore the game without the toxicity, it is also toxic on top of that. Riot Games also hasn't had the most positive time in the limelight with their actions (toxic workplace, sexual misconduct etc).

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Its def not everyone's cup of tea but Wild Rift is a lot of fun and I find it way less rage inducing. The games are about 2/3rds shorter and I find it overall less serious than PC LoL. When I would lose an hour long game in LoL, it was soul crushing. Losing in WR is just like "eh what ever ill get em next time" sort of feeling.

Fully agree. I enjoyed playing ARAMs in league since it was the league experience distilled into a faster, and less sweaty mode. Wild Rift feels like that, but deeper than ARAM since it's a fuller game rather than a single lane. It's a lot of fun, really polished, and scratches the itch. I still play the PC version too, but less than I did since Wild Rift gives me a lot of what I wanted.

Nov 13, 2017
Going by the 30 page OT thread that's 5 years old. I don't think Era likes the game much. Cool though.

I find that people that play and love League will go to communities that have other League Players, at least in my experience.

I love League of Legends, but I wouldn't go to ResetEra to discuss it. I would use either the dedicated League discord channels or the r/leagueoflegends subreddit.

Edit: Another thing is that Riot has generally been shitty with its employees, especially women and people of colour, and have been involved in lawsuits. As members on ResetEra are more politically conscious, they will keep away from games like League because of the company. Not that I blame them, what Riot done is extremely shitty and deserve the lawsuits.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Do these updates also apply to Wild Rift?

Nope. Wild Rift and League of Legends are completely separate teams and have different balancing philosophies. Potentially, Nilah might have certain tech that will prevent her from being included in Wild Rift since her abilities have unique interaction.

There's 79 champions so far in Wild Rift and League of Legends have 159 champions. There are some champions that may never come to League of Legends (right now, Viego, Neeko and Sylas cannot be in Wild Rift due to their interactions) and NIlah could potentially take some time to be implemented in WR.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They just released a character so I was pretty shocked to see a new one pop up so fast, love her kit from the looks of it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda weird to not care about a big step for representation in one of the biggest games in the world. I don't play it either but this means a lot to a lot of people so it's important

I mean, put her in Project L, by all means. I'm here for that.

But I don't think there's anything at this point that's going to make me care about LOL proper. I'll give them a big thumbs up for inclusion and representation but...coming from me, someone who does not care about their main product, it'll ring hollow.

I'll tell you right now though, if Illaoi and Nilah aren't main roster in project L, someone over at Riot is fucking up.

What's going on with all these 'not playing Lol' comments? What am I not aware of?

Riot is a shitheel of a company and every time I have tried to get into LOL, I have been slapped in the face with overt racism from players.

Not about it.

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to acquiring her for free with Game Pass Ultimate.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I'm pretty proud/excited about her design and her…even existing honestly…And wait till you see the splash art! I appreciated that the team reached out to involve south asian coworkers in her development to get feedback too, including myself even though I don't work on league anymore technically.

I've been playing games my whole life basically, and remember playing Dhalsim when I was like 6. Will be pretty neat to get to play another Indian character even if it took 27 years 🥲. I really gotta play lost legacy too though, I've been sitting on a copy for years now.