• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I think it deserves its own thread

With currently more than 470k likes and growing, it's the new most liked Gaming Tweet of all time by a large margin
And this record won't be beaten anytime soon

We saw some bad/horrible comments but overall and with such high numbers of likes, it's pretty clear that the vast majority of gaming community (and PlayStation community) totally understand the postponement and support the ongoing movement and that's good news !

Top 5 most liked Gaming Tweet :
  1. 470k - PlayStation - PS5 event (June 4th) delayed in support of Black Lives Matter
  2. 356k - Nintendo America - Reggie Fils-Aimé retiring
  3. 344k - Animal Crossing JP - Special performance of Animal Crossing main theme (from home)
  4. 325k - PlayStation - PS5's DualSense reveal
  5. 280k - Call of Duty - Modern Warfare (2019) reveal + release date

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Might wanna edit number 3, there's an ethnic slur in there.

Otherwise yes, I agree.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
I dunno about it not being beaten for a long time. I think when PlayStation tweets out the console reveal/teardown it will stand a chance to get that kind of number.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Really great that most of the community is taking the delay positively. Absolutely right move by Playstation, there are just more important things than videogames right now.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It's great to see the support of BLM from gaming twitter, but why the use of a slur in the OP?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
What slur ? I don't understand
Because of "JAP" ? Nintendo runs 2 accounts of Animal Crossing, one is the Japanese account, the other is US/Worldwide
"J*p is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese". Today, it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term very controversial or extremely offensive, even when used as an abbreviation after the events of the internment of Japanese Americans."

en.m.wikipedia.org

Jap - Wikipedia

Typically, people use JPN or JP when abbreviating Japan

Ok I didn't know that, I edit the OP, thanks !

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because of "JAP" ? Nintendo runs 2 accounts of Animal Crossing, one is the Japanese account, the other is US/Worldwide

The shorthand version of Japan/Japanese is JP. J*p always has been a slur. Please edit and educate yourself.

Edit: beaten.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Yes, because of that. It is an ethnic slur to refer to the japanese. Please use an alternative, like J, JP or simply Japanese.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
For reference the actual announcement of PS5 event has 160k likes. Glad to see people taking it positively.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really great to hear.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would think they would add something to the start of their event after seeing how positive this tweet has been met. #Blacklivesmatter

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see that the vocal minority of shit heads in gaming is just an extreme vocal minority. Gaming companies should take notes before ever placating to them again.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
if black lives matter then the video games themselves and the events we have should also reflect this.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Great that the message gets out.

Some time ago i was told that the PS5 logo was the most liked gaming related tweet ever, but i don't see it on the list.
....But actually that is not what matters.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see that the majority of the responses have been positive.

I also didn't know about the slur, glad that I learned about it.

Great that the message gets out.

Some time ago i was told that the PS5 logo was the most liked gaming related tweet ever, but i don't see it on the list.
That's for Instagram, 5 million likes.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
English is not my native languague, this is probably why i never knew about this until today.

Good to know.

It's more prevalent as derogatory term in western countries and not much so in Asia where I am. After lurking western forums for so long I've understood the context and use Jpn or Jp.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't really get the praise companies get for making gestures like that - it's mostly driven by economics (their marketing event not getting enough attention during these times) rather than any genuine interest in the problem. Especially if it's anything as systemic and deep-rooted in capitalist society as racism.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get the praise companies get for making gestures like that - it's mostly driven by economics (their marketing event not getting enough attention during these times) rather than any genuine interest in the problem. Especially if it's anything as systemic and deep-rooted in capitalist society as racism.
Probably because, regardless of intent, it's good behaviour. There's value in reinforcing good behaviour.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes this is true but the PS5 would have been headline news regardless, especially outside of the US. They'd already spent money planning and advertising for the event and, as seen with TLOU, the risk of delay brings risk of leaks. If anything I'd say they're taking a hit by delaying especially when the decision to delay has the potential for backlash from bigots and those who don't care about current events.

Nevertheless, I don't think the take away is "well done, Sony" as much as it is that a lot of people are on board with the decision and supportive of the reason. You only have to look at the comments to see how the reaction could have gone.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People like to feel good about their favorite company. People acting like these companies are taking a huge risk by speaking out now when where no where to be found in the past. It's easy now for companies to show support that's why they're doing it. They don't care about the real issues it's all about how this is going to look for their brand.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't really get why you care about intent. It's the result that counts.

Oct 25, 2017
The postponement will probably just end up making the event itself even bigger whenever it happens.

Good to see the support.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
But it's absolutely not game related : /.
It's actually anything but "game".

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People like to feel good about their favorite company. People acting like these companies are taking a huge risk by speaking out now when where no where to be found in the past. It's easy now for companies to show support that's why they're doing it. They don't care about the real issues it's all about how this is going to look for their brand.

Sure, it's easy to show support right now.

But, it's even easier to do absolutely nothing.