• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Why can't they just make something as good as the Underground games again... :( They're the last NFS games I enjoyed.

Feb 8, 2018
the two greatest need for speeds of all time were open world

underground 2 and most wanted

They were good but not the highlight of the franchise let alone the best of the genre at the time.
  • Graphics look better than Payback and is on par with 2015. You've got water on the road, reflections, that kind of thing
I would fucking hope it's better than Payback but.... on par with 2015? How about a lot better? Odd.

My thoughts without the cursing. If true it doesn't sound like cross-gen.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
  • Graphics look better than Payback and is on par with 2015. You've got water on the road, reflections, that kind of thing
I would fucking hope it's better than Payback but.... on par with 2015? How about a lot better? Odd.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly really loved NFS 2015, my only real complaint with that one was the police were pretty terrible. Either you had to go out of your way to keep them on your tail or they were stuck to you for 20 minutes, impossible to lose them.

Tentatively excited for this.

"Serious story" sucks. 2015 was corny but it had a good vibe, reminded me of old action sports games. I don't need to have one last run after prison to avenge my brother or whatever

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Cool logo but everything else sounds bad. Who fucking cares about a racing game having a dark story

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
It's a good thing EA Access is on Ps4 now, as there's no way I'm getting this without a trial. Far too many issues with the previous games and "we took out the shitty loot boxes" is not a plus point, it's a not negative point.

Why can't they just copy FH at this point? Playground has nailed it whereas Ghost has been swinging and missing this gen.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Fight Night included a fair story mode for a sports game with Fight Night Champion. I don't think it's impossible for a racing game to do the same - even if NFS has already had it's share of attempts at one.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fight Night included a fair story mode for a sports game with Fight Night Champion. I don't think it's impossible for a racing game to do the same - even if NFS has already had it's share of attempts at one.
But would you consider it dark? Or something like Fifa's story? People wouldn't mind a return to Most Wanted or Carbon, but "dark" is not a word most people want associated with an arcadey racing game of this sorts

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Cautiously excited. It doesn't seem to have the problems that plagued the last 2: always online and speed cards... of course they can still screw it up elsewhere but its a good start. Also when they say serious story I hope it's the cheesy over the top kind of serious so I'll have a good laugh. To be honest the silly live action cutscenes in 2015 is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Yeah and remember, one of the most beloved arcade racers ever, Ridge Racer 4, had a simple but memorable story mode. It's possible to do it right, it's just rarely a priority.

They may let you choose manual.
Funny thing is many upcoming and new enthusiast sports cars these days don't even let you choose manual.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Why does it have to have a story? :(

Payback and 2015 were horrible.

Story worries me, but that one NFS game on Gamecube was good despite that mini story mode thing they had going. I think it was Need for speed Underground. Thats the only NFS game I have ever enjoyed.

Im hoping at some point a new entry comes that I enjoy. Maybe this will be it.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Honestly, at this rate, Need for Speed should try to establish a Fast & Furious type world where everything is action packed and shit like that. If they're trying to establish a world, by creating a story, try to create a game that feels like Fast and Furious. Stupidly dumb fun action packed car sequences with an *okay* story or something. No need to make it "dark" and what not, but we'll see.

Also NFS: Payback is on sale right now on PSN for $15.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NFS Heat is very fitting if it takes place here in Miami 👌 (basketball team/weather lol)

Looking forward to this.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can't wait to see more. Only thing I'm not liking from the OP is this supposedly "darker" story. I'm one for the hardcore campy style but it's not a must, I just hope it's not horribly dour and grim.

But big take aways for me from this leak are: seems they might be attempting to take the best of the last few outings and try to put it all forward into a focused package this time (but I have felt this way about how things sounded on paper before, so I could be wrong once again); 80's-inspired neon-laden aesthetic sounds super awesome.

I know it's a divisive aesthetic but I hope the current Civic Type-R is in... If so, I'll be pretty eager to try and get into this one. It's an off year for Forza so my racing slate is pretty damn open.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everything sounds pretty good aside from the dark and serious story

Crazy that they made an NFS game without cops, didn't even realize that

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
So they are keeping in the nonsensical story bullshit.......oh,well......there was a glimmer of hope before any leaks.I will be playing the new Grid game for my racing fix this year......that is a racing game that will actually focus on the racing.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't sound promising at all from the details so far. Which is strange, because how hard can it be. Just "remake" Hot Pursuit 2010.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
But would you consider it dark? Or something like Fifa's story? People wouldn't mind a return to Most Wanted or Carbon, but "dark" is not a word most people want associated with an arcadey racing game of this sorts
I'm not sure if it was bleak enough to warrant a stamp that says 'dark', but I recall there being a few f-words in the script, some (implied) skinhead/white supremacist types beating up beating up the Afro-American protagonist in jail (where he ends up after being framed by the police). There's also some physical injuries, but I guess you could chalk that up to as being a part of the sport. I think there was also a gun or two involved in that game in some context. I liked it, thought in retrospect I think it lacked a sense of humor. I've not really touched the recent NFS games, but I think 'dark' can be fine, so long as it's not solely that.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just want a game like Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010)
why is that so hard?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Teaser countdown on EA site for tomorrow morning

Burn all limits.

gYCz1wk.png

Last edited:

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been following NFS since the (new) Hot Pursuit but I hope it doesn't play like Burnout anymore.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Now I want a NFS game that's just 80's cars. Testarossas, Countaches, Camaro IROC-Zs, front wheel drive Shelby Daytona K-cars.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a game like Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010)
why is that so hard?

Rivals was very much inspired by HP2010. It didn't quite reach those levels, but it was still a good amount of fun. Expanding on that while bumping up the speed and tweaking the handling so it's not as heavy would get it closer.

If they're treating this as a jumping off point for the future of the series then i'd expect it to feel fresher than just being a combination of Rivals and 2015. They're inevitably going to pick and choose elements from past games to bring forward, and both of those games had their positives to work with. But as I said above, i'm hoping for a focus on overall sense of speed and improved handling. Plus look toward HP2010 in terms of overall open-world design. It's the one NFS where I really put Autolog to use because each race layout was just so much fun. I completed Seacrest Tour (the final race) quite a few times because of how enjoyable the whole layout was.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be able to get out of the car and lay on the beach. And run people over when they are laying on the beach.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Srsly... At this point, I'll be happy if for the next release (2021??) they remake the Black Box Trilogy (Underground, Underground 2 and Most Wanted) with updated textures/graphics/light and the same gameplay. I just want to replay those beautiful games in a modern console/PC without any hassle.

Oct 27, 2017
It means the next game in won't be like it if it doesn't sell several millions of copies in 3 months
If they want it to sell they better not fill it with microtransactions. You want to revive your franchises? Take some inspiration from Capcom, From and the rest of companies that find succeess in the AAA space. They don't need Anthem-likes to generate profit.