• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a NFS similar to Hot Pursuit (2010) by Criterion.

That was the best NFS game ever IMO.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
While a lot is spoken about NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 and Rivals, not much is mentioned about Most Wanted 2012 despite me personally quite enjoying that game. The idea of finding cars out in the map was a fun one, plus it still retained the fun police chases and Burnout style takedowns. It had a relatively lengthy campaign as well compared to its successors, and in my opinion, is one of the more overlooked games in the franchise.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Does the goofy ass job EA does with these awful NFS stories actually sell these games to anyone? It feels like it's just this awful expenditure that adds nothing of value to these games.

trinest

Oct 28, 2017
Carbon and World where the last ones I enjoyed, NFS needs to be like that.I didn't mind the new one either. 2015 or whatever it was, so if this is basically 80s NFS I'm down.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Because Forza is totally MTX free, right?

i've sunk probably 300 hours into FH4 and i don't recall a single MTX in the game. I think you can buy a treasure map for like $4 which will show you all the bonus boards on the map but there are a ton of websites that will do that too. Other than that I do not think there is any way to spend real money in forza horizon 4 (other than expansions).

Forza Motorsports 7 did have some real shitty lootbox and MTX stuff related to mods, but while I don't really enjoy that game as much I've probably sunk 50-60 hours into it and never found any need to buy anything, you can easily earn enough credits per week just playing a few hours (you get 100-400k/week from the rewards site if you login every weekend too). They revamped the mods system entirely a few months ago but honestly I rarely use any, they are just bonuses and challenge modifiers really and aren't needed to win or lose.

I used to love NFS but the last few ones were abysmally bad and unfun, I hope they can recapture some of that burnout / open world racing vibe that is missing. Its weird how The Crew, Forza, and NFS all try to do the same thing but only FH does it really well.

Still, this is EA and this game is gonna be 50% off a few weeks later. Hard to really come up with a solid reason to buy at launch, especially nowadays will all that bullshit "ultimate for $30 more gives you 7 days early access! So does EA Ultimate Pass!" A huge fun part of MP racing games is racing with everyone at launch, and staggering that out to 2 or 3 launch days is ridiculously dumb.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i've sunk probably 300 hours into FH4 and i don't recall a single MTX in the game. I think you can buy a treasure map for like $4 which will show you all the bonus boards on the map but there are a ton of websites that will do that too. Other than that I do not think there is any way to spend real money in forza horizon 4 (other than expansions).

Forza Motorsports 7 did have some real shitty lootbox and MTX stuff related to mods, but while I don't really enjoy that game as much I've probably sunk 50-60 hours into it and never found any need to buy anything, you can easily earn enough credits per week just playing a few hours (you get 100-400k/week from the rewards site if you login every weekend too). They revamped the mods system entirely a few months ago but honestly I rarely use any, they are just bonuses and challenge modifiers really and aren't needed to win or lose.

I used to love NFS but the last few ones were abysmally bad and unfun, I hope they can recapture some of that burnout / open world racing vibe that is missing. Its weird how The Crew, Forza, and NFS all try to do the same thing but only FH does it really well.

Still, this is EA and this game is gonna be 50% off a few weeks later. Hard to really come up with a solid reason to buy at launch, especially nowadays will all that bullshit "ultimate for $30 more gives you 7 days early access! So does EA Ultimate Pass!" A huge fun part of MP racing games is racing with everyone at launch, and staggering that out to 2 or 3 launch days is ridiculously dumb.

FH4 and FM7 never had any mtx

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Please, please no magical 8 gear transmissions.. Dont think they ever fixed that even in 2015..

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't that the games are open world, it's just the worlds are generic and blur together a ton and are not memorable at all.

They're all Cali cities with a canyon and coastline nearby, maybe some woodlands if you're lucky. We all know the deal.

Meanwhile, Forza is trying to hit different geographical locations and add as many different surface types and they can, AND let you leave the road. I think the developers really underestimate how an interesting setting can make everything so much better.

EA is trying to get us to be wowed by the structured modes and story they have but that's a complete misread of what arcade racing fans want IMO.

Oct 28, 2017
Just make rivals 2 EA. It's the best NFS since hot pursuit 2010.

04_1351_1_1.jpg

need-for-speed-rivals-screenshot-1.jpg

84373748001_2758832219001_vs-52652f62e4b0ebd22720f360-767904722001.jpg

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
Rivals was mad fun online because you could wreck other people as a cop.
I've made so many people ragequit sessions it was amazing

The most entertaining part was wrecking cops as a racer though, fools thought they'll just blast you down and instead you wreck their shit

actual racing in the game was impossible though, nobody wanted to do races. and 5 people limit was dogshit

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I like the logo but no split screen I sleep.

Also no dynamic daynight cycle for an open world racer is eek

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
it does have his aesthetic, but I want them to go harder. I kinda feel like they're inbetween a rock and a hard place with so many other games dunking on them and their last couple of outings having missed the mark. pushing towards that grungy, almost cyberpunk aesthetic of Khyzyl Saleem's art would allow them to establish a very unique visual flare. as we can see from Saleem's art, they can straddle the edge of stock vehicle look and something fantastical in it's kitting

at the very least, people won't immediately compare it to Forza Horizon or Fast and the Furious, while simultaneously keeping the trappings of the previous games
That's true, I agree with you in how Need for Speed has become kinda middle of the road, flavorless in terms of its styling, not committing to anything too wild (probably out of fear of turning people off). Which is too bad because the original NFS had a very carefully curated presentation, and underground was one of the boldest looking racers in its day. I do wish that having a massive catalog of stock realistic cars wasn't such a focus in every racer...

But hey, the latest concept art looks promising in this one, though as you know concept art may not always reflect the final product...

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
While a lot is spoken about NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 and Rivals, not much is mentioned about Most Wanted 2012 despite me personally quite enjoying that game. The idea of finding cars out in the map was a fun one, plus it still retained the fun police chases and Burnout style takedowns. It had a relatively lengthy campaign as well compared to its successors, and in my opinion, is one of the more overlooked games in the franchise.
Agree that Most Wanted was good and retained a lot of the fun. Hope there's some of that in here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The last two forza titles had zero microtransactions.
it still has multiple carpacks and DLCs. the carpacks are more or less cars that are not in the base game because they want to sell them separately.
The game shipped with 450 cars on disc, which will be way more than NFS will ever have in a single game.

Besides there are a plenty new free cars being added as well.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
This game better have a complete synthwave soundtrack. All Laserhawk and Carpenter Brut.

With Spotify/USB, all racing games are better thanks to synthwave and eurobeat but I hope EA will provide some good tracks itself.

Really intrigued by this one, I love exotic cities and Miami is a great choice for a racing game.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If you never played any of the ones before I guess.

And which ones do you think are better than UG2 and Most Wanted M3?
Other than Hot Pursuit 2010 which also had Open World so the statement stands true.

THe NFS before Underground were "just" Okay, Underground, Underground 2, Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit 2010 were games that basically any arcade racer fan absolutely loved.

It's 2019 and still no day/night cycle.. yikes

For events.
It lets them curate the events better, imagine a race that suffers because its raining at night but is totally doable during the day clear skys?
But it could be like Forza Horizon which has set weather patterns for events.
But when in the overworld the game is fully dynamic.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
it still has multiple carpacks and DLCs. the carpacks are more or less cars that are not in the base game because they want to sell them separately.

Wait are we complaining about all paid DLC and paid expansion packs now?

Because, the car packs are optional (some are free) and some include cars that literally didnt exist when the games came out....how else are they supposed to put the cars in the game?

You want every single car pack to be free....while there are some free cars and packs constantly added, if you expect them to do all of this for free expect seeing them one car for every month.....no dev will work for free without having some other way to monetize their game.
Id rather optional cars when I already have 450 than mtx for other things in game.

EternalWolf

May 20, 2018
Open-world nfs needs to die already.

For sure, last one I liked was Hot Pursuit PS3, exactly what I wanted in a NFS entry except for the lack of jumps. Just let me jump into a track, learn it and skill wins. The drifting and boost timing in that game was amazing, it was like a "real" version of Mario Kart drifting. Give me arcade racing that feels intense and real but knows its still arcade at heart, unlike Driveclub.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I would take a relentlessly dark story about trafficking black market organs to the highest bidder, blah blah. Basically insane shit.
In my experience, dark and serious stories usually means a dead child or parental figure in the first ten minutes.

Cheap, unearned emotional payoff for the win.
NOOOO, MAH DEAD SON WHO WAS LIKE A FATHER TO ME!

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
And which ones do you think are better than UG2 and Most Wanted M3?
Other than Hot Pursuit 2010 which also had Open World so the statement stands true.

THe NFS before Underground were "just" Okay, Underground, Underground 2, Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit 2010 were games that basically any arcade racer fan absolutely loved.
NFS3: Hot Pursuit, Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2 were my favourites. Underground 2 was worse than UG1 and MW was the best of the open world ones yea but still not tops of the series imo and I've played all NFS games except mobile ones.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Rivals was the last one I didn't mind (as platinumed it) so if its a combo of that + the NFS 2015 this could be good (though I didn't like the driving in the 2015).

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
Rivals was the last Need for Speed i liked. So that's at least a good sign. But "open-world" and "darker, more serious story"? We'll see.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just make rivals 2 EA. It's the best NFS since hot pursuit 2010.

04_1351_1_1.jpg

need-for-speed-rivals-screenshot-1.jpg

84373748001_2758832219001_vs-52652f62e4b0ebd22720f360-767904722001.jpg

That's not really saying much because everything past Hot Pursuit has been hot garbage. Once in a while the series gets a true diamond, but in general it's crap after crap.

The diamond is why so many of us get hyped about the next NFS game. Are we going to get another Hot Pursuit (2010), another Most Wanted (2005)? Or are we going to get another Payback, or another Need for Speed?

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
2015 had the worst driving physics that I can remember in any racer. If they rebuild the physics, then massive step forward.