• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think it's a useful feature?

• Yes it's very useful

Votes: 674 94.8%
  • No it's useless

Votes: 37 5.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
The new xbox beta app for mobile just got released, check the details here, but 1 killer feature wasn't mentioned and I just tested it with multiple games basically you can download any game you want from the store regardless if you own it or not, so it's a god send for those who like to buy discs because you can preload the game and any big day 1 patch which usually goes live 3 days before launch so on launch day you just insert the disc and play immediately, also good for people who buy digital games if you are getting paid next week and planning on buying a few games you can download these games in advance and as soon as you buy them you can play immediately.

Screenshot :
yLULbOZ.jpg

Do you think you will use this feature in the future or do you think it's useless?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Oh hell yeah. If that works out as it should/it works for every game that's very useful.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
That's pretty cool. I don't own an Xbox, but if I did I'd definitely use that feature a lot, I prefer physical media and now you can play as soon as you put the disc in the console

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Definitely a good feature. I'm all digital anyway but I'd 100% use this if I preordered any more physical games.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
The new xbox beta app for mobile just got released, check the details here, but 1 killer feature wasn't mentioned and I just tested it with multiple games basically you can download any game you want from the store regardless if you own it or not, so it's a god send for those who like to buy discs because you can preload the game and any big day 1 patch which usually goes live 3 days before launch so on launch day you just insert and the disc and play immediately, also good for people who buy digital games if you are getting paid next week and planning on buying a few games you can download these games in advance and as soon as you buy them you can play immediately.

Screenshot :
yLULbOZ.jpg

Do you think you will use this feature in the future or do you think it's useless?
Damn that is great!

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I would have loved if they had come up with this feature at the beginning of the last generation. Better late than never, though.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing news! Ive been wanting this for YEARS on both PS and Xbox. Let me download the damn game, and provide a license when I hit play either digitally or via disk..

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that is extremely useful!

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Good feature. This plus being able to predownload day one patches should be a thing for sure. So you're not spending hours on launch day, or whenever you buy the game, waiting for huge downloads.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This is incredibly dope. I feel like this was a hypothetical feature people wanted that I never thought anyone would implement.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, presumably would facilitate pre-patching too. One of the most irritating things this generation is knowing there's a patch and having no convenient way to force it to happen without being at the console (I'm aware of an awkward work-around on PS4, but not XO).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Damn, that's an amazing feature.
Xbox Series X shaping up to be the absolute must buy for everyone who plays much.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
That's a great idea.

I had a strangely similar experience just now on PS4: I'd previously downloaded the Ghost Recon Breakpoint trial off the PSN. Today my disc copy of the full game arrived, and when I inserted the disc it told me that a digital version was already there, and asked if I wanted to delete it and replace it with the disc copy (all save files would be untouched).

I said yes, expecting that it would have to copy the game from the disc, download a patch, etc. Instead, it just changed the icon on the XMB to have the disc next to it. I was able to launch it immediately, no need to copy anything from the disc.

Maybe this has been a thing for a while, but it was news to me. It was great BTW. The idea that you could do this with any game (without needing a trial) is brilliant, such a timesaver.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Holy shit that's genuinely amazing. Really hope PlayStation steps up their app offering for PS5

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Umm sorry for my ignorance but I have a question. Digital games and physical games are not two different version on Xbox like it's on PS4? I remember save files on PS4 were not working between digital and physical versions.

GHOSTDEATH

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question? if i own the game physical, with this new feature can i play the digital version with the disc in the console? i am doing a lot of speedrun and digital version have better loading times, so it is possible with this new feature?