• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A seemingly very large number of videos from youtube disable playback on any website besides youtube, which is frustrating to begin with. In my estimation, it seems like about 8 out of every 10 youtube clips I try on resetera are like this these days. Until recently, these clips were just a minor inconvenience, because clicking play on them would bring up an error saying "this video has been disabled except on youtube, click here to go to youtube to watch" and I'd click the link and be on my way.

However that's changed within the last several days. Now, I just get a "VIDEO UNAVAILABLE" message and some suggestions to other, completely unrelated videos, and no way to follow the video to youtube at all. I have to reload the entire page and click the title of the youtube video to go to youtube now. It's really, really annoying.

Anybody know if there is a plugin or anything that'll automatically open Youtube links at youtube or something? Because this is legitimately making me avoid youtube clips on these forums.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Thank you for making this thread.

Example:

Best workaround is either click the name of the video, or to hold and copy the URL and paste it.

Get your shit straight, YT. You need a one click way to go directly to the video on YouTube app once you realize the video cannot be embedded, instead of forcing to watch recommended videos.

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
It's from the embed option not being used, so, you just need to go to youtube and watch it.

vertigo

Aug 25, 2018
Brooklyn
Yeah ive found a work around on my computer but its really annoying on mobile cuz i cant even get the video to open in a youtube player

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right click -> Open in new tab

right click menu:

sBsLD2R.png

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Why is YouTube doing this? And why are they disallowing full screen in here?

You'd think it's not the hardest thing to display ands and track views for embedded videos

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Click the title of the video, that will take you to youtube instead of starting the video.

yes, I know, I stated that in the OP. The problem is you can't click the title after clicking play on the video to know that it won't play on a forum. Once you click play on the video, the title disappears, and you can't click the title until you reload the entire page.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
How did Plastic Love manage to show up in a random forum thread?

Like it doesn't show up randomly already on YouTube

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, this is new fuckery. After attempting to play the video the clickable title is no longer displayed.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I wish embedding would also check if you have youtube RED as well. Or Premium now. I don't want the recommendations bar to popup when I hit pause.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
However that's changed within the last several days. Now, I just get a "VIDEO UNAVAILABLE" message and some suggestions to other, completely unrelated videos, and no way to follow the video to youtube at all. I have to reload the entire page and click the title of the youtube video to go to youtube now. It's really, really annoying.

Just right-click the video twice and click This Frame > Reload Frame. This will reload just the embedded video instead of the whole page.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just right-click the video twice and click This Frame > Reload Frame. This will reload just the embedded video instead of the whole page.

That's still 4 clicks to do what used to take only 1 click to achieve. It's still annoying. I'd prefer a plugin or something that just automatically opens youtube videos with one left click in a new tab or something. Or for youtube to just, you know, let these videos play in a forum like they used to.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Can you watch embedded videos like the one above on Premium?
No, it's still the same problem for embedded videos even with Premium.

And you can allow if your video can be embedded or not. It recent years it seems most official music accounts has stopped allowing it too, which is a pain.

It's like if youtube doesn't want to allow embedding then why do they let the thumbnail and everything load in the first place. It should automatically forward you to youtube if that is the decision.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Click the title of the video, that will take you to youtube instead of starting the video.

yes, I know, I stated that in the OP. The problem is you can't click the title after clicking play on the video to know that it won't play on a forum. Once you click play on the video, the title disappears, and you can't click the title until you reload the entire page.

Directly click the title of the video every time then, don't bother trying to play the video in the forum.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This change has been driving insane the last couple of days. Who thought this was a good idea?!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That's still 4 clicks to do what used to take only 1 click to achieve. It's still annoying. I'd prefer a plugin or something that just automatically opens youtube videos with one left click in a new tab or something. Or for youtube to just, you know, let these videos play in a forum like they used to.

It's not YouTube making the decision.

It is the video uploader.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say new since it's been like this for at least a year now, in my experience at least.

Every time there's a thread discussion about music, almost every single video in those threads from youtube is blocked.

Even random videos submitted by individual users just get slapped with a restriction now by youtube.

Sad times. :*(
It's not YouTube making the decision.

It is the video uploader.
I assume it probably has to do with the way ads work, and it's probably tied to that somehow, rather than the actual uploader's decision.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Ridiculous. If I have to click through that many times, then YouTube shouldn't even load the thumbnail. They're giving the appearance of functionality and then forcing you to go offsite.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say new since it's been like this for at least a year now, in my experience at least.

Every time there's a thread discussion about music, almost every single video in those threads from youtube is blocked.

Even random videos submitted by individual users just get slapped with a restriction now by youtube.

Sad times. :*(

I assume it probably has to do with the way ads work, and it's probably tied to that somehow, rather than the actual uploader's decision.

what's new is this:

yuxiQ09.png

With no option to continue to the youtube site once you've tried to play the video. It used to be this:

sxFFjt9.png

Which gave you a link in the upper left corner to go to youtube after being informed that the video was unavailable for embed. They've removed the link that allowed you to still watch the clip on youtube.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
what's new is this:

yuxiQ09.png

With no option to continue to the youtube site once you've tried to play the video. It used to be this:

sxFFjt9.png

Which gave you a link in the upper left corner to go to youtube after being informed that the video was unavailable for embed. They've removed the link that allowed you to still watch the clip on youtube.
I like how they not only block it, but they also advertise other channels now while telling you that you're not allowed to view it on the forum.

RIP

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
OP is right, it is very frustrating, especially since I am only on mobile right now and have to open up a new tab to watch it.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
At least the right click menu still works, so you can get the URL from that.

Shouldn't have to do that, though.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
But you're asking for a one click solution.
That is it.
No point in trying to play them on the forum.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Do embedded videos not count towards their numbers on Youtube? I always wondered, since even ads don't seem to show up on embeds.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for making this thread.

Example:

Best workaround is either click the name of the video, or to hold and copy the URL and paste it.

Get your shit straight, YT. You need a one click way to go directly to the video on YouTube app once you realize the video cannot be embedded, instead of forcing to watch recommended videos.

So I click on this video it immediately asks me if I want to open it in yt app (on mobile)

Edit: but it doesn't let me play it in my browser!

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I think the thing is, we're trained to view embedded videos as well, embedded videos on the browser. This new change sucks for me too where I browse through my phone most of the time. Justlike before, I do not know whether an embedded video will play or not until press the play button. Difference is if it doesn't play outside of youtube, there is no more way for me to get to the video other than reloading the page and doing what you just said, since the link goes away.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's been like that pretty much since Era opened, it's not anything new. It does suck.
Is it to maximize views?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
It's been like that pretty much since Era opened, it's not anything new. It does suck.
Is it to maximize views?
That issue of some videos not playing in embedded form was there before, but what annoys people now is that the whole title and the YT logo disappears now when you click on an unavailable video so you can't immediately go to YT and you now have to reload the site/video frame. That change came only a few days ago.

Some uploaders make videos non-embeddable because some ads might not play correctly on mobile, afaik.