• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
The transcript for EA's fiscal call came out, so we will have a few more EA threads.

The core of our fiscal 2019 is a full slate of sports titles and their associated live services, plus new live services from Star Wars Battlefront II. We will add the next Battlefield game, and move into the action genre with Anthem. We expect our subscriber base to continue to grow, and for our new mobile titles to benefit from players looking for deeper experiences with higher production values.

Also, they expect new games that aren't annual sports titles to only make up 25% of their revenue, so don't expect much beyond Battlefiekd and Anthem.

As you build your fiscal 2019 model, remember that our event-driven live services continue to be the bedrock of our business. Live services, including mobile live services, were nearly half of our net bookings over the last twelve months. Including our recurring sports titles and catalog sales in the calculation takes the total to over 75% of our annual net bookings, leaving less than a quarter of net bookings delivered through the sale of the remaining frontline titles.
Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...177-FC314096762B/Q2_FY18_Prepared_Remarks.pdf

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
It will be the same as it always releases. Around November. Also isnt that between October and March not April and March.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it's set in World War 2 and they take inspiration from their older games like Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2. Battlefield series has become increasingly simplified in the recent years. The multiplayer is moving more towards lone-wolfing and away from teamwork. Gunplay has also become increasingly simplistic with things like random bullet deviation, easy gun control and long time to kill. I also hope they redo the entire class balance and divide everything up into 6-8 role specific classes. I also hope they look to their older games for inspiration when they are designing maps. Multiplayer maps have really gone down in quality in the most recent installments.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The folks over at DICE are machines lol

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising, the biggest question is just what time period it will be set in. Cold War era could be interesting and hasn't been used in a while.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Probably against popular opinion but I hope they release a Battlefield 5 set in modern time. I missed out on playing Battlefield 3 or 4 but had a ton of fun with Hardline. The general consensus was Hardline wasn't that great and that the Dice games were superior so I'm eager to see the difference. Don't really care for historical settings.

Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be Battlefield Two, right? With a WWII setting?

I hope so, at least. BF1 is great, but an updated WWII Battlefield could be even better.

Kurri

Oct 26, 2017
I fear my dreams of a Battlefield 2143 or Bad Company 3 will never be realized.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Expected. It's been known for a while that Battlefield and Battlefront would be releasing on alternating years going forward. What I wonder is where Titanfall falls in the middle of that (if there will be a Titanfall 3).

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it will be a Hardline type game or if it's definitely Dice and thus a more traditional setting.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down for ww2. I'm just not feeling COD this year and I would like DICE take another crack at it. I never got to experience BF 1942 back in the day.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I want another modern Battlefield again this time around. WW1 got boring FAST and that's speaking as a long term fan of the franchise.

Oct 28, 2017
I really wish they'd go back to giving us mod support so these games could have a little more room to breathe outside of the season pass content releases. They've iterated on Frostbite's tools so pretty much anyone can use it as long as they're within the EA conglomerate but I'd love to see it open up a bit. A lot of really cool user created content came out of the older Battlefield games.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
BF 1946 or 1994.

I can't stand how restricting WW1 has been, especially coming off BF4 where we had a million guns and each had like 40 attachment options lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
WW2 if they want to repeat their mistake and have a very restricted arsenal.

Modern or 80-90s if they want to have a varied arsenal, growing franchise and positive image connected to the Battlefield name.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
After BF 1, I don't feel they are capable of making a fun Battlefield that is not set in Modern times. Hopefully we can get a remastered BF1943

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
BF4 debuted two years after BF3 (2011 -> 2013) and it was a disaster at launch. Lots of bugs, huge stability problems. BF1 was 2016 title and it showed. I hope for smaller title, e.g. Bad Company. Right now DICE might be too busy with BattleFront 2 to create a fully-fledged Battlefield game. Unless EA wants to risk another Hardline-esque situation (which was a really good game mechanics-wise, but with horrible theme).

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want DICE to do something else. Sad that theyre stuck on battlefield/battlefront.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Not surprising, the biggest question is just what time period it will be set in. Cold War era could be interesting and hasn't been used in a while.
I've been saying this for a while:
Do. This!
No bothersome modern gadgets like in BF3 and BF4, but a good era for varied interesting weaponry that could be experimented upon. It's a fictional conflict, much more can be done in terms of locations that doesn't have to have had a battle before (one map of EU NATO and Russian forces fighting over Stockholm for example). One of my favourite games of all time, World in Conflict, is set there:
https://youtu.be/K-oUOlNySY0
https://youtu.be/NnTn1LSG9Zo
https://youtu.be/M-6Dayn9NBI
https://youtu.be/usrTHTGDgSA
https://youtu.be/0TN68sp-vIw
And since this game is never coming back, some other Swedish studio might as well pick up the slack and go back there.

Kleff

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope they can finally get a clue and stop splitting the userbase with DLC. The handling of it in BF1 was horrible.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not surprised.

2013 - Battlefield 4
2015 - Hardline (with Visceral)
2015 - Battlefront
2016 - Battlefield 1
2017 - Battlefront 2
2018 - Battlefield "2"
2019 - Battlefront 3 (in time for Episode IX)
2020 - Battlefield "3"

if they make the next Battlefield set in the past like WW/Vietnam/Cold War then I'll just be sticking with BF4. I want another modern or even futuristic Battlefield.

Addikt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it's set in World War 2 and they take inspiration from their older games like Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2. Battlefield series has become increasingly simplified in the recent years. The multiplayer is moving more towards lone-wolfing and away from teamwork. Gunplay has also become increasingly simplistic with things like random bullet deviation, easy gun control and long time to kill. I also hope they redo the entire class balance and divide everything up into 6-8 role specific classes. I also hope they look to their older games for inspiration when they are designing maps. Multiplayer maps have really gone down in quality in the most recent installments.

I found the maps for Battlefield 4 amazing. Endlessly replayable. I loved the moments that happened within the maps like the skyscraper falling or the dam breaking. They moved away from that for Battlefield One and it was for the worse. Basically give me Battlefield 4 style with new maps.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of meaningful DLC really hurt BF1. I hope they put more support behind this next title.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what does it matter? it's a dice game and it's not a battlefield/front game. that's what you just asked for.
Yes it matters? Their main team worked on BF1 which is obviously their most talented.

One other game in 10 years does not take away the fact that theyre stuck making fps battle games.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Battlefield Crusade, with bows, crossbows, swords and all ! You read here first :)

But seriously, very curious to know more about the next entry. After BF4 and Hardline, I thought I was done with the franchise but I'm having a blast with BF1 since it's in the vault. Will they go by the safer route with a Vietnam or WWII BF or surprise everyone again ? Cautionously optimistic.

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
Like others im thinking ww2, then in a few yrs BF5 back in modern times for the next gen, that will be the big step forward. I woukd love to see a return to Vietnam though, been playing Rising Storm 2 and i think of the BF vietnam games each time i play it.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully its Battlefield 1944. No crazy gadgets, very little or no attachments, a focus on semi-auto rifles, awesome vehicles, iconic locations. Maybe cut out progression all together and give everyone everything from the start like the best Frostbite Battlefield game, Battlefield 1943.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of meaningful DLC really hurt BF1. I hope they put more support behind this next title.
I would rather say that their main problem is inconsistent DLC spacing. Maps are mostly fine - Verdun Heights and Fort de Vaux are great and the whole "In the Name of the Tsar" expansion has some of the best and most immersive maps I've ever played. For me those are not simple MP maps but rather real (digital) battlegrounds (and this incredible blood-pumping music!). Since BF1 launch DICE has been trying to engage players with new task that give you medals, weapons and specializations and I think they have mostly succeeded. CTE helps a lot here. And one more thing: EA has swapped vanilla version of BF1 for "Revolution" edition that has Season Pass included. That's a really smart move that may prevent division of the player base.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully its Battlefield 1944. No crazy gadgets, very little or no attachments, a focus on semi-auto rifles, awesome vehicles, iconic locations. Maybe cut out progression all together and give everyone everything from the start like the best Frostbite Battlefield game, Battlefield 1943.

This would literally be a dream come true, however I seriously doubt we'll ever see this again. This is what I wanted for CoD:WWII; a return to its roots.