• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to GING-SAMA who brought this linkedin info up in the XGS thread.

EDIT: The Vimeo video has been privated 👀

It is coming up on 3 years since Forza Motorsport 7, with Turn10 having taken a year off and talking about going back to the drawing bored with their next Forza project. We might have are first clue as to what direction they might be going in (even if only partially), we already know they are putting more emphasis on the simulation side of the next Forza but what else? Joseph Rubino who was the director of photography at Rockstar on Max Payne 3, GTA V, RDR2 and Cinematic art director on AC Odyssey, joined MS in 2018 to work on:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephrubino/
pMDNKBW.png

m0JUEu7.png

This month he moved to another Xbox studio, Obsidian to work on their next big RPG. But on his Vimeo, his most recent video shows him directing on a mocap stage where a sports car is placed in the scene capture:
OWTm9HT.png

With Forza Horizon having taken off in a massive way this generation, Forza Motorsport has seemingly shrunk compared to last generation. This seems to be one of the ways Turn10 is trying to evolve Forza Motorsport, personally this would get me excited again about a new Motosport entry. What about you, does the potential of a story driven approach and more sim focused direction interest you? What else would you like to see Turn10 do with the brand to excite you?

Well you don't hire someone with that past experience (nor do I think they would take the job) if it was for basic replay, car shots and other minor stuff, since FM7 (and older games) had those and they didn't previously have a cinematic director. In his roles on the project he lists himself as being part of a "narrative leadership team" something previous Forza Motorsports haven't had either. The Vimeo video in the OP also shows the same mocap stage as the car scene, having actors playing out a scene. Whether it will be something like F1's story campaign or something more, who knows? Replays, podium shots, montages, trailers etc are already done by Turn 10 on past games where it was outsourced and with there only being one "cinematic lead" at Turn 10 who handled it for a number of the past games, they also wouldn't be working for 2+ years on basic stuff like that or that early on in the project. I don't know why this would be that surprising, a number of sports games this generation like FIFA and NBA haves this (even other car games like F1.)

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. This could be very interesting.. A couple of racing games tried stuff like this in the past and we also got sports games like Fifa and NBA with some interesting story modes. I'd like to see T10 tackle this their own way. I'm even more hyped to see what they've been cooking up.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It already has characters and a plot and whatnot, I imagine it will continue to polish those things.
Even FIFA has a story mode now

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Interesting. I thought they would make it a true simulator, since Horizon exists.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Ehh hope this hasn't taken up too much development resources. I just want great wheel support. If its good that would be neat I guess.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
Oh no.. I so don't care about a story in a simish racing game.. Save the money and put more content in.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Could it be that this is the AAA Playground RPG or am I way off base?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It could be pretty neat to have a good cinematic story with the racing. Since it is going to be more Sim oriented, adding a story to the game as your driver progresses through the game could be pretty neat and different. I like the idea...but it comes to execution. Let's see what they are going to show when they show it.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
So a career like the race driver games and a bit like the F1 games with teams and emails etc where you work your way up the ranks and different leagues? Sure I guess. You can probably skip the cut scenes anyway. Nice if they have an option for those who want it the old way as well with no storyline.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Could it be that this is the AAA Playground RPG or am I way off base?

Way off base. The second PG studio has been working on a RPG project for a few years now. Turn 10 makes Motorsport and we have gotten a new one every 2 years, last year is where FM8 would of came out but they are taking their time with FM8 or whatever they call it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Will you have to drive your car stealthily through bushes?

Will you need to craft 'rubber tree branch' with 'chemical pack' to replace your tyres?

Will you have to drive slowly along a side road whilst having an unskippable emotional conversation with an NPC?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I am looking for in my racing sim games.
Cinematic stories.

"JOHNSON, IF YOU FALL BELOW 90 KM/H ON THE LAGUNA SECA YOUR SUPRA WILL EXPLODE! THE BIKE TERRORISTS RIGGED YOUR CAR WITH A NUCLEAR BOMB!"

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
When we asked for third person cinematic games, this wasn't quite what we were asking for lol.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Forza Horizon having taken off in a massive way this generation, Forza Motorsport has seemingly shrunk compared to last generation. This seems to be one of the ways Turn10 is trying to evolve Forza Motorsport, personally this would get me excited again about a new Motosport entry. What about you, does the potential of a story driven approach and more sim focused direction interest you? What else would you like to see Turn10 do with the brand to excite you?
I don't think there's really anything they could do especially after the Forza Horizon games just being much better and the Forza Motorsport games just being blah to me. I haven't liked any of the mainline forza games this generation at all.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like this means some overarching plot or anything. You need someone in charge of the minor career progression story stuff, it's probably no more than that.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
So a career like the race driver games and a bit like the F1 games with teams and emails etc where you work your way up the ranks and different leagues? Sure I guess. You can probably skip the cut scenes anyway. Nice if they have an option for those who want it the old way as well with no storyline.
F1 had a story mode? first time hearing about this. sounds cool.. You got any link? would love to see the cut scenes.

OP
OP
JINX

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I thought they would make it a true simulator, since Horizon exists.
They have talked about focusing more on the simulation aspects for their next game, this would probably just be a story campaign next to your normal carpg/multi Motorsport content.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds dumb. No one cares about stories or cinematics in racing games.
People said the exact same thing about Fifa and NBA story modes.
They have talked about focusing more on the simulation aspects for their next game, this would probably just be a story campaign next to your normal carpg/multi Motorsport content.
I'm so hyped for this now. Lol. Surely super talented devs like PG games and Turn 10 could pull this off.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I'm curious to see how they could pull it off.

If they had a good story, and good characters and used racing as a back drop to make the races seem high stakes it could be interesting.

Who am I kidding it's going to be a calendar campaign where you just click on events on a calendar and it's going to be as exciting as clicking boxes on an excel spread sheet.