• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
ItThere's talk of a new Capcom Fighter in the works and it potentially being MvC 4. So with those rumors flying, I wanted to share what I think the next step for the series should be. Which as the title states is a new MvC going back to roots by being similar to MvC 2 (A move that has been doing well for capcom between Resident Evil and DMC). Also, I skipped gameplay in my thread. Mainly due to no MVC game (even Infinite) ever being bad in that regard.

Roster
I'm not gonna make this a in-depth roster talk. But even ignoring MvC 2's roster size (50+ characters isn't happening this day and age at launch), there's a large selection of quirky and weird on both sides. When it comes to MvC, this is the time to start showing people the lesser known characters from both companies. Sure you always have to keep your staples (Ryu, Iron Man, Captain America, Chun Li, etc), but even with a starting roster of 30. There's a lot of room to keep things interesting.
Rather than DMC 3 Dante, why not DMC4/5? Instead of Basic Thor why not something inspired by Ragnarok instead?
As long as the characters look good and are fun to play, that'll make up for someone's favorite not getting in. Plus, just changing outfits around will go along way.

[Updated Roster Example Image (Not my Actual Expectations) - Taken from Source Gaming ]
MN9BqEB.png

Style
This is a big one. You'd be hard-pressed to find many who think MVC:I still looks good even just 2 years later after launch. MvC 3 was able to better age thanks to its focus on a comic book style. While I don't think a new MvC needs to just ape that style completely. A new style would need to either be realistic to a good degree (Injustice 2) or very pleasing to look at (DBF:Z). There's no real middle-ground when it comes style that's both realistic and quirky (Which MvC:I Proved) and modders have shown tipping the scales to prefer one side can change things for the better.

nded-shader.png

Funkiness
This is the big one for me and the reason I wanted to make the thread more than anything else. There's a lot of competition in the fighter space, especially if you want a spot at EVO. The one thing the majority of fighters are doing? Being more grounded (Anime withstanding), how do you get past that? Bring back the funk. This is where the channeling of MVC2 comes in. A game with a established and pleasing style along with funkiness goes a long way of standing out from the crowd. Who wants to see a plain stage and some boring character themes or score when they can have this.

Sure this music isn't tied to any character and that stage has nothing to do with Marvel or Capcom. But I'd still say it's more memorable than anything coming out of both MVC3 and MVC:I. Which is what you want over just being another Marvel game on the shelf that includes some Capcom characters in it. This falls back on the roster where "If they look cool and are fun to play, people won't mind". The same can be said for the stages and music and overall aesthtic in UI and other parts of the game. If the music is good, the stages fun to play on and everything looks unique. People won't mind missing out on Avengers tower with Devils Never Cry playing.

Story
While MVC 2 doesn't have a story mode, i'm assuming this is something they'd bring back so I just want to touch on it real quick. Basically, do the exact opposite of what MVC:I tried to do. I'm unsure of what rules were imposed on the story creation, but I legitimately could've written a better crossover than what we got in infinite. The concept of MvC is already as ridiculous as it gets, so play into it. Rather than try to play it serious, go more into what Project X Zone does (Have fun with how quirky this crossover already is). Give something to the fans that know both IPs and don't turn into a certain character getting the spotlight. MvC:I's story ultimately turned into a Mega Man and Friends special by the end which pleases one part of your fanbase while the others just stand around.

TL:DR - A new MVC needs to be Funky, Stylish, and Quirky. Essentially being MvC 2 for a new age (Huge Roster and Broken Gameplay withstanding)

Last edited:

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I read "the next Marvel vs Capcom" and thought something was announced.

Why would you do this to me?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
You want stylish ?

Put in

Gene
Dante
Nero.

You want Funky ?
Add funky kong mode.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I can tell you stole that image from an old thread because NO FUCKING X-MEN OP!

It was so hard finding a dream roster image that wasn't ridiculous that I had to settle on that one without X-men. I'm totally willing to change it if anyone finds a better one. Just wanted something to show off a good variety which is sorely needed after MvC:I .

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed 100%.

Capcom should have more say in the matter compared to Marvel and Disney. Embrace the stylish Capcom vibe please.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what anyone says.

Capcom has some of the most memorable music in the industry, and the idea of gutting all of the character themes for weird stuff that has no connection to Marvel or Capcom would put me off the game.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought people liked MvC2 despite its music, which always reminded me of elevator/department store muzak or the stuff they play when you're put on hold on the phone.

edit: and the clock tower stage clip in the op doesn't dissuade me from that opinion either.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Hot Take: MvC is better than MvC2. Amazing OST/Character themes, original strikers and awesome stages. MvC2 always felt way too much like MAME.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely needs some kind of style, unlike Infinite which had none. Plus a real budget and not the bare minimum scraps.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
MvC 4 is the last step to Capcom's full redemption. I hope Capcom digs deep to find surprising characters for the roster instead of just lazily grabbing the main characters from its latest, most popular games and MCU characters.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It still physically pains me to think of how badly bungled Infinite was.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I personally think the first Marvel vs. Capcom was the peak of the series in terms of presentation. Followed by Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter for those lovely stage transitions.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Capcom needs to bring back Jill, Ammy and Tron (not including them in Infinite was a travesty) and the Marvel side needs to bring back X-Men and add Miles and Nico Minoru.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't care what anyone says.

Capcom has some of the most memorable music in the industry, and the idea of gutting all of the character themes for weird stuff that has no connection to Marvel or Capcom would put me off the game.

I can understand that. But my posting on that side of things was related to what we got out of MVC3 and MVC:I. Granted MVC3 is a lot better in this regard, but when we're getting stuff like this

I'll take the catchy one-track. Now if they entire sound team was going to push more to the side of older fighters like MvC 1. I'd be down for that.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It was so hard finding a dream roster image that wasn't ridiculous that I had to settle on that one without X-men. I'm totally willing to change it if anyone finds a better one. Just wanted something to show off a good variety which is sorely needed after MvC:I .
You didn't even include your girl Regina! You should be ashamed of yourself.

Alright, I'm done talking shit. Here's a cool mock up from SourceGaming--
FRumnx1.png

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/06/05/sourcegaming-presents-marvel-vs-capcom-4/

Oct 27, 2017
Hot Take: MvC is better than MvC2. Amazing OST/Character themes, original strikers and awesome stages. MvC2 always felt way too much like MAME.
Not a hot take. Even at the time I thought MvC2 felt like an official MUGEN version of the game. Yeah a lot of Capcom's arcade games around that era looked similar, art style wise, they still clashed a bit in that

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I can understand that. But my posting on that side of things was related to what we got out of MVC3 and MVC:I. Granted MVC3 is a lot better in this regard, but when we're getting stuff like this

I'll take the catchy one-track. Now if they entire sound team was going to push more to the side of older fighters like MvC 1. I'd be down for that.

Yeah, I'm still mad about the "cinematic" themes for the Marvel side of MvCI.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I don't think they need to do any crossover. I think it's too big a project for them, and they'd be better served focusing on just their own characters for a Vs.-styled game, or(if they do work with Marvel again) cutting it down to being only an Avengers or X-Men fighter.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I love MvC2 but I wouldn't give it any points in presentation at all.

MvC1 and 3 were the high point in this regard.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Also the game should have like 4 characters from Monster Hunter, with at least one of them being a monster (bring back giants).

World is Capcom's best selling single game of all time. Let's get some Hunters and Palicos in there.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
LOL there won't be another MVC game after how badly Infinite did, and how bad of a job CAPCOM did with Marvel's IPs.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
LOL there won't be another MVC game after how badly Infinite did, and how bad of a job CAPCOM did with Marvel's IPs.
More like how bad Marvel did with their own IPs in hamstringing Capcom by withholding X-Men and Fantastic Four characters and basically turning the game into MCU vs Capcom.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably the biggest Magneto fan on the planet when it comes to Marvel vs Capcom, but at this point i just want a goddamn Capcom Fighters with Capcom only characters.

Just give me a goddamn Magneto function and i'm in.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
More like how bad Marvel did with their own IPs in hamstringing Capcom by withholding X-Men and Fantastic Four characters and basically turning the game into MCU vs Capcom.
Chun-Li and Chris looking like monkeys, and Dante like a meth addict wasn't Marvel's fault. And even without the chance to get X-Men/F4 characters, Capcom's side was completely rehashed trash.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Chun-Li and Chris looking like monkeys, and Dante like a meth addict wasn't Marvel's fault. And even without the chance to get X-Men/F4 characters, Capcom's side was completely rehashed trash.
Chun-Li and Chris aren't Marvel's characters. Please put the goalpost back where it was.

Infinite was an ugly, ugly game. But Marvel shares a lot of the blame for how it turned out, and the lack of support it received post launch.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that wasn't an inherently bad idea. The movies introduced a lot of people to those characters, many of which had never been in a Vs. game. The problem was they still weren't, some only coming as DLC(Black Panther, Black Widow, and Winter Soldier). Ant-Man, Loki, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Star Lord, etc. were some glaring omissions for a more MCU-focused marvel side of the cast.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Biggest disappointment for me.

Everyone came in thinking we'd get Nero, Jack Baker, Rashid, Asura, etc.

Instead we got to see fucking BioCom 09 Spencer and RE5 Chris again.

The pre-talk of the capcom roster was so hype before it turned into what we got. That's where a lot of my roster talk mentions at minimum, if you're gonna reuse stuff. Change it up at least. I never want to see DMC3 Dante or RE5 Chris in a Fighter again when they have numerous other designs.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
We're still pretending as if publisher / property owners that enforces deadlines while disregarding QA aren't a real thing

Can you please go back to caping for MK games and making 'NetherRealm is a victim/butbutwhatabout Capcom?!?!" threads

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
The pre-talk of the capcom roster was so hype before it turned into what we got. That's where a lot of my roster talk mentions at minimum, if you're gonna reuse stuff. Change it up at least. I never want to see DMC3 Dante or RE5 Chris in a Fighter again when they have numerous other designs.
Reusing stuff wasn't the problem, this series is known for that. But we got a smaller roster than Vanilla MVC3 despite everything being reused and rehashed. Capcom's side was completely TERRIBLE, and that ain't Marvel's fault.

We're still pretending as if publisher / property owners that enforces deadlines while disregarding QA aren't a real thing

Can you please go back to caping for MK games and making 'NetherRealm is a victim/butbutwhatabout Capcom?!?!" threads
Ironic when Capcom fans love to blame MVCi's failure on Marvel lol

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3-2 with a story mode and I'm in.