• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
TBF they just need to stick with MvC3 graphical and gameplay style, taking easy on the black levels. They had the perfect game and decided to start over again like they were the Sonic Team.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom just needs to literally port UMvC3, add the moves introduced in Infinite (like Thor's hammer throw) along with some new ones, and add a bunch of characters and stages. MvC3 has the perfect art style and control scheme.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Also, Story mode is an absolute Must. "Casual" players eat that up. I've seen people that don't regularly play FGs go in, do Story mode and get out.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Did it actually do bad though? Despite not having marketing, no word of mouth and negative reception all around, MvCI still sold over a million copies.

While any game selling 1 million is good. Just to put this into perspective, Dead Rising 4 sold only 1 million and was effectively iced due to that performance. That was only on 2 platforms as well (PC/X1) vs MVC:I's 3 (PS4/X1/PC). Then there's also the price drop MVC:I received very quickly after launch.

The current 1 million in sales is basically digital + the store product that is still out there. There hasn't been any MvC:I reprintings as far as I know.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Story mode is an absolute Must. "Casual" players eat that up. I've seen people that don't regularly play FGs go in, do Story mode and get out.
I don't want story mode to kneecap the rest of the game though.

Part of me is convinced that Viewtiful Joe and Phoenix Wright got cut because they couldn't find a way to fit them in the story.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Broke: New MvC

Woke: Capcom Fighting All-Stars
What the next Vs. Capcom games needs is to not be screwed over by Marvel/Disney bullshit

So basically
I think Max put it best, Capcom All-Stars doesn't have the sheer sales potential to go crazy with it budget-wise (like adding a story mode or having a huge marketing campaign). If that game were to happen, you need to do it like Killer Instinct ($20-30 initially, start small & grow as time goes on).

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Hot Take: MvC is better than MvC2. Amazing OST/Character themes, original strikers and awesome stages. MvC2 always felt way too much like MAME.

I totally agree. MvC2 was a weird mash up of all the stuff from the previous VS titles which were actually well conceived as singular games (especially xmen vs sf and MvC 1).

Those are the titles to channel, not MvC 2.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Did it actually do bad though? Despite not having marketing, no word of mouth and negative reception all around, MvCI still sold over a million copies.
Capcom projected the game to sell 2 million copies in it's initial run, and they characterised the sales as "soft" in investors reports.

MvCI reached 1 million (now 1.3 mill) over time, long after it sales slowed down, after a permanent price decrease that rendered the "deluxe" edition 60 USD by default and with many sales.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
i thought everyone agreed that mvc2 soundtrack was ass

still better than mvci though

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Max put it best, Capcom All-Stars doesn't have the sheer sales potential to go crazy with it budget-wise. If that game were to happen, you need to do it like Killer Instinct ($20-30 initially, start small & grow as time goes on).

Sure, why not. Make it an evergreen title in the MvC3/I engine, F2P, and gradually add characters as DLC.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
MvC2 at release was seen like a rushed out mess, MvC1 was actually a MUCH tighter package imo

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3-2 with a story mode and I'm in.

Pretty much this.

MvC3 artstyle is just amazing, the music and the looks are just great. The system was broken, so I give MvCi points there, the game feels more fun than 3.
And the good thing of a comic book style is that all the crazy looking characters from Capcom side (megaman, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, etc) look fine with the humanoid characters while they are in the Cell Shading way.

Although, if they are forced to make it realistic, use RE engine, Devil May Cry 5 is a testament that they can do a amazing looking game at 60fps. Just use that engine.

But in the end, I would love if the game looked like MvC3 cutscenes/trailers did, that look was just great.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather them ditch Marvel altogether and just do a capcom all-stars. Current day MCU Marvel will just hold them back.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
who is everyone? The jazzy funk played to the frenetic action very well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_vs._Capcom_2:_New_Age_of_Heroes#Reception

Across all platforms, many reviewers cited the jazz-inspired soundtrack as the game's biggest flaw. Jeremy Dunham of IGN described the music as "plain god-awful", stating that the "jazzy lounge lizard music and snappy beats" did not fit the action in the slightest.[25] Martin Taylor of Eurogamer expressed his disappointment that the game's visual flair was backed by "a horrific, lift music-oriented soundtrack and low quality sound effects".[62] Game Revolution shared the sentiment, declaring it as "some of the lamest music that you've ever heard".

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Marvel Infinite, such that I've actually played it more than I've played UMvC3, but Capcom really does need to go back to the older games in terms of roster and style.

It's a crime that Nova's fantastic UMvC3 theme lasted all of one game before getting replaced.

Nov 23, 2017
Stylistically they are way better. MvC2 has more content (good thing) but it's nowhere near as cohesive as a game and is mostly just the previous VS games smushed together anyway.
To me those ones are just the same overall but lesser in every way. A downgrade in every sense compared to 2. It doesn't actually suffer from most of the things people say it does. Stylistically they are the same though with way less pizzazz

Edit: 3 on 3 will always be better than 2 on 2

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They don't need Marvel to make a VS game with the gameplay and style people want. Why should we believe that an MvC4 would somehow come out looking better than MvC:I?

Oct 25, 2017
I think Max put it best, Capcom All-Stars doesn't have the sheer sales potential to go crazy with it budget-wise (like adding a story mode or having a huge marketing campaign). If that game were to happen, you need to do it like Killer Instinct ($20-30 initially, start small & grow as time goes on).

It'd probably have as much sales potential as any other fighting game Capcom could possibly make, except for maybe the next Street Fighter, and even then.

I think as far as Capcom fighting games as a whole go it's time for them to really decide whether they are going to commit to staying in the arena with the top dogs. I think they can do it if they can show the same level of commitment that they demonstrated in getting RE and DMC back to a good place.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
Well, now that Mr. Tsujimoto is in charge for the Fighting games, I hope to see a lot more of it.

If you ask me, I still miss how Ryota Niitsuma handled Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Marvel vs Capcom 3. Both were amazing games and would love to see something like that.

Personally, I don't like MvC2 style. I like the roster because we have 4 different Darkstalkers on it but the music and stages were weird to say the least.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
MvC2 music and mugen style weren't my cup of tea to be honest but it sure is kinda memorable.

I really hope that Capcom and Marvel go all out with a new iteration after what happened with Infinite.

Jill, Gene, Daredevil and Psylocke would make the game a must for me.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
To me those ones are just the same overall but lesser in every way. A downgrade in every sense compared to 2. It doesn't actually suffer from most of the things people say it does. Stylistically they are the same though with way less pizzazz

Edit: 3 on 3 will always be better than 2 on 2

Nahhh the other games have a more consistent visual style, actual story, better balance, much better music, better backgrounds...

Also 6 buttons > 4 buttons but that's a matter of opinion.

Give me CvS2 any day of the week!

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Street Fighter V did wind up taking an idea from Killer Instinct: getting tired and wanting to move on after three years.

I generally like Max's idea but it pines for the kind of GaaS model that none of the major studios want to commit to (excluding ASW's constant stream of expansions). Any potential Capcom vs. Capcom is gonna need to fire a lot harder at the launch to get the kind of value Max is looking for.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Hot Take: MvC is better than MvC2. Amazing OST/Character themes, original strikers and awesome stages. MvC2 always felt way too much like MAME.

don't forget the character select screen. It's by FAR one of the best ones ever in motion:
marvel_vs_capcom-personajes.jpg

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The "funk" as the op puts it, is NOT the aspect of MvC2 that made us all play the shit out of it back in the day.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
don't forget the character select screen. It's by FAR one of the best ones ever in motion:
marvel_vs_capcom-personajes.jpg
That character select music is burned into my brain. I miss seeing this type of hand drawn artwork in fighting games. It's such a rare thing nowadays.

My ONLY gripe of MvC is the roster selection/size. That aside, finally seeing Mega Man in a proper fighting game was something special. I'd really love to see the return of Classic Mega Man in MvC4. He's got more than enough to differentiate himself from X, IMO.