• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

Looks like Kaep and the NFL have finally come to an agreement.

According to Mark Geragos, there's a confidentiality agreement in place, so legally, neither party will speak on the issue again.

Chances Kaep comes back?

For the past several months, counsel for Mr. Kaepernick and Mr. Reid have engaged in an ongoing dialogue with representatives of the NFL. As a result of those discussions, the parties have decided to resolve the pending grievances. The resolution of this matter is subject to a confidentiality agreement so there will be no further comment by any party.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If he got a big monetary settlement, then good for Kap! I feel he got screwed just for silently kneeling, which is no big deal to me.

I'm glad about the non-disclosure confidentiality agreement too, so I don't have to hear about it again

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
gotta be some wrongdoing by the NFL if they're willing to settle with someone as outspoken as Kaep, right? Dude must have gotten a healthy payoff.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanna know what that means...
And the NFL really didn't want hard Kaepernick or Eric Reid to play football and the NFL and forcibly kept them out of the. and since kaep got that huge deal from Nike he was all good with cash and could keep the court case going the NFL knew they were going to lose so here we are.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Kaepernick was right all along
No. The people who call out racism and injustice are the REAL racists.

Wish I knew what the NFL paid them. And I hope all the bad things on the NFL going forward. By far the worst major sport in America, and because we are not the best human beings also the most popular by a huge margin.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
gotta be some wrongdoing by the NFL if they're willing to settle with someone as outspoken as Kaep, right? Dude must have gotten a healthy payoff.

The existence of Nathan Peterman made this a slam dunk in Kaep's favor. (I am at this second wearing a Peterman hoodie i bought because of this).

No way the NFL was winning this grievance.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
saw potential long term damages and ran scared. good for kaepernick and Reid. Dont see much wrong with the player settling since a fight with the nfl was never even their initial goal

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Thinking further about this the League won. What's a 100ish million dollar settlement that I'm sure they can just write off compared to the potentially devastating information that might have come out in a trial. Info that may have given the players the ammo they desperately need to be able to fight for a more equitable CBA.

The league won.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Kaepernick was right all along

Yes but it might have been too close on the edge for Kap's team to prove in arbitration.

Because if he did win in court, he could have caused the current CBA Agreement to be ripped up..and players could have been free do what they wanted. Or forced the NFL into a new player friendly deal.

And even if the NFL could "legally" prove that there was no collusion...what ever Kap and his lawyers made public (besides the obvious shitty QBs in the league and Kap not even getting ONE F'n try out) but what ever was brought to public might have been so bad for the league...it wouldn't have been worth it.

The fact that the NFL chose to settle BOTH Kap and Eric... kind of gives me the impression they were like F'it and over paid... wanted to stop all of this attention which ever way possible.

Edit- Dammit VectorPrime. That's what I get for over explaining once again.

Last edited:

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be happy unless they own a team in exchange. No amount of cash should keep the secrets unreleased.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This means that none of the leagues dirty laundry gets exposed so I'm not happy.

I guess that's technically true, but we already pretty much know everything, right? All the owners, every one, colluded to blacklist an African-American over speech.

edit: didn't understand the implications of any revelations being used by the player's union in collective bargaining.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. The grievance was settled before going to atbitration. The NFL had EVERY reason to avoid having this go to arbitration if they thought they had a chance at losing, so Kaep getting a payday is the likeliest outcome.

that's kind of lame tbh. good for kaep but if the NFL is sweating and trying to settle that, to me, means you keep pushing forward because you've really got something

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but it might have been too close on the edge to prove in court.

Because if he did win in court, he could have caused the current CBA Agreement to be ripped up..and players could have been free do what they wanted. Or forced the NFL into a new player friendly deal.

And even if the NFL could "legally" prove that there was no collusion...what ever Kap and his lawyers made public (besides the obvious shitty QBs in the league and Kap not even getting ONE F'n try out) but what ever was brought to public might have been so bad for the league...it wouldn't have been worth it.

The fact that the NFL chose to settle BOTH Kap and Eric... kind of gives me the impression they were like F'it and over paid... wanted to stop all of this attention which ever way possible.
Nah man, this settlement is a defeat by Kaepernick and Eric Reid and adds fuel to the fire. Because it basically says what everyone's thinking about telling us. That cat and Eric Reid was targeted by the NFL for their actions. if I was in a nfl I would want this whole thing to be defeated in court to show there was no collusion.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I really wanna know what that means...

An NDA surely means the NFL absolutely acknowledged that he was blackballed from the league and don't want anyone to know about it. Those who did nothing wrong don't keep things a legally binding secret.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. He carried on the protests even after his former teammate was no longer in the league.

if the panthers didn't get jerry richardson the fuck out of here reid may not have even gotten signed to a team. seems like everyone else was fine twiddling their thumbs letting a starting caliber safety waste away because he dared protest police brutality against black men.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to have been tens of millions for Kaep at least, looking at QB contracts in the past 2 years. Good on him but sucks that the league won't be raked over the coals publicly.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Nah man, this settlement is a defeat by Kaepernick and Eric Reid and adds fuel to the fire. Because it basically says what everyone's thinking about telling us. That cat and Eric Reid was targeted by the NFL for their actions. if I was in a nfl I would want this whole thing to be defeated in court to show there was no collusion.

Sorry, I meant it was too close on the edge for Kap to win at arbitration. So this is why he settled...and then gave the explanation why the league would to.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
that's kind of lame tbh. good for kaep but if the NFL is sweating and trying to settle that, to me, means you keep pushing forward because you've really got something

It makes more sense to settle. This isn't a trial, it was binding arbitration. Arbitrators are extremely unpredictable and have no real limits on the kinds of penalties (or lack thereof) they can impose.

When i was still with the state, we would do anything we could to avoid things getting that far, because having an arbitrator make an insane ruling then create precedent nobody wanted was the worst possible outcome.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
An NDA surely means the NFL absolutely acknowledged that he was blackballed from the league and don't want anyone to know about it. Those who did nothing wrong don't keep things a legally binding secret.

Not really. They probably just wanted to bring it to an end. If there really was collusion, They could have gotten a lot more than 40ish million.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda shocked Kaepernick settled. I thought for sure he would want to go to trial (or have an arbitrator rule on the case) so the evidence could go public.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, all of it was true then. Fuck the NFL.

It would be baby shit easy to prove Caps claims were a lie, and counter sue him.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Not really. They probably just wanted to bring it to an end. If there really was collusion, They could have gotten a lot more than 40ish million.

There absolutely was collusion. Theres no argument that makes any sense why Peterman is still in the league and Kaep isnt.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Better chance he plays for the AAF for 20 million
That's what I expect. I doubt the NFL wants him back, so him going to AAF is more likely. Him getting back in the spotlight will require shut up money so the NFL paid it.
The NFL's shit owners rightly got all sorts of bad press over this mess and just want to make it go away. Paying for a confidentiality agreement and banishing him to the AAF is their best case scenario. Scumbags. All of them.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'll choose to believe that the league acknowledged they blackballed Kaep and Reid, and gave them a hefty settlement in exchange for confidentiality.

If he goes to the AAF, those ratings will be insane for a spring football league.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah, all of it was true then. Fuck the NFL.

It would be baby shit easy to prove Caps claims were a lie, and counter sue him.

Its a union grievance not a lawsuit.
As shitty as it is, I think the teams in the league just didn't want the baggage that cam along with Kap. Peterman might suck, but what baggage does he bring?

There are people like Mike Vick that got caught murdering dogs, went to federal prison for it and STILL came back to a starting job in the NFL with a collective shrug from Philadelphia fans.

The "baggage" argument holds no water here.

Peterman for reference doesn't just "suck" he's statistically the WORST quarterback in the NFL going back over 40 years. He's still in the NFL and still playing.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Huh, so I guess everyone does have a price. Not happy with at all since it makes the goal seem to be about money rather than exposing the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.