• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Not really. They probably just wanted to bring it to an end. If there really was collusion, They could have gotten a lot more than 40ish million.

I disagree.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have no idea how much they received, only rumored figures. Even then, 40 million is a very, very large number, and a day one payout with no further work required is an easier grab than potentially getting less, or nothing at all (since it's all up in the air).

The NFL knew they fucked up and paid up to stop it from going public. Simple as that. They would have lost far less letting this go forward, zero possibility this case would have cost them nearly 100 million dollars.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Huh, so I guess everyone does have a price. Not happy with at all since it makes the goal seem to be about money rather than exposing the truth.

Everyone already knows the truth even if they can't talk about it. And Kaep got screwed out of his career. I'd rather the money be in his hands than the NFL owners.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Everyone already knows the truth even if they can't talk about it. And Kaep got screwed out of his career. I'd rather the money be in his hands than the NFL owners.
Yeah but this doesn't do anything to ensure that there won't be another Kaep. It would have caused more harm to the brand if they exposed the truth and gave less ammo to the right-wing idiots who were claiming Kaep just wasn't good enough.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah but this doesn't do anything to ensure that there won't be another Kaep. It would have caused more harm to the brand if they exposed the truth and gave less ammo to the right-wing idiots who were claiming Kaep just wasn't good enough.

Actually it does, because if it happens again that player will be able to make the same arguments Kaep did and it will lead to a similar result.

The terms arent public, but NO WAY is the NFL repeating this.

And the "not good enough" complaint was completely obliterated by Peterman.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The confidentially clause is infuriating. I hope he took them for a massive amount of money, those corrupt sacks of shit.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely nobody should be shitting on Kaep for taking the money and accepting the confidentiality clause. He was suing the league for damages. It's not his job to expose and fix the league that screwed him over.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Actually it does, because if it happens again that player will be able to make the same arguments Kaep did and it will lead to a similar result.

The terms arent public, but NO WAY is the NFL repeating this.

And the "not good enough" complaint was completely obliterated by Peterman.
Eh, I disagree. The NFL will just be able to pay someone out and do the same thing.
If someone else decides to do this again I have little faith that ownership will not blackball them again especially giving their attempt to ban protests just last season.

I know it's hard to turn down that kind of money but I do not have to agree nor feel good about him doing so, nor do I think it will help the cause at all.
I was hoping this would be a watershed moment in sports but now this doesn't quite feel right.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Kaep got his bag, but I still hope for all the details of the NFL's dirty laundry to get leaked. Fuck them.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Kaepernick is by far the most overrated QB on ERA. Beat out by Gabbert, 3-16 in his last 19 games. Great QBs rise above that. Regardless of that fact, he was still black balled though by all but one team (think he cost himself a spot on the Ravens when his gf/wife trashed the owner). Would've been interesting had it gone all the way to trial to see how deep the hole went. Think all the sports leagues have dirty laundry so we have all missed an opportunity to get a deep dive into one of them. Too bad we will never know all the details with 100 percent confidence (evidence/arguments, settlement amount, etc.).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Eh, I disagree. The NFL will just be able to pay someone out and do the same thing.
If someone else decides to do this again I have little faith that ownership will not blackball them again especially giving their attempt to ban protests just last season.

I know it's hard to turn down that kind of money but I do not have to agree nor feel good about him doing so, nor do I think it will help the cause at all.
I was hoping this would be a watershed moment in sports but now this doesn't quite feel right.

Doesn't work that way. This was a settlement. Kaepernick voluntarily took that money instead of taking it to arbitration. And given the amount rumored here the NFL knew they were going to lose.

The next guy decides not to do that and take it all the way, its horrifically painful for the NFL. An atbitrator could impose almost any conditions on the league as a penalty in addition to monetary fines and it would be legally binding.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its a union grievance not a lawsuit.

There are people like Mike Vick that got caught murdering dogs, went to federal prison for it and STILL came back to a starting job in the NFL with a collective shrug from Philadelphia fans.

The "baggage" argument holds no water here.

Peterman for reference doesn't just "suck" he's statistically the WORST quarterback in the NFL going back over 40 years. He's still in the NFL and still playing.
Its a union grievance not a lawsuit.

There are people like Mike Vick that got caught murdering dogs, went to federal prison for it and STILL came back to a starting job in the NFL with a collective shrug from Philadelphia fans.

The "baggage" argument holds no water here.

Peterman for reference doesn't just "suck" he's statistically the WORST quarterback in the NFL going back over 40 years. He's still in the NFL and still playing.

I'm an Eagles fan, and I'm going to tell you that you are flat out wrong there. Eagles fans were up in arms, and some were threatening to boycott. Michael Vick also was cheap as hell from what I remember, and even then the Eagles had to be talked into signing him. It took a while for Eagles fans to warm up to him, but winning will do that. The difference here is that Mike Vick went to jail, and paid for his crimes, once he came back and showed that he had changed, the media circus disappeared. Kaepernick did nothing wrong, but he would have brought a media circus with him, and alienated fans wherever he went. That circus would have been ever-present, and his price tag wouldn't be worth it for most teams. Peterman might be the worst QB of all time, but he is cheap, and isn't going to alienate the fans.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
NFL got what it deserved. Kaep took a knee for what he believed in, became a civil rights leader as a result, and got blackballed by the league. meanwhile domestic abusers are playing and getting second chances. Scrub tier backups that can't even throw a ball have a job and are getting paid for holding a clipboard.

It's good to see Kaep got something. NFL settled cause they knew they were screwed.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Doesn't work that way. This was a settlement. Kaepernick voluntarily took that money instead of taking it to arbitration. And given the amount rumored here the NFL knew they were going to lose.

The next guy decides not to do that and take it all the way, its horrifically painful for the NFL. An atbitrator could impose almost any conditions on the league as a penalty in addition to monetary fines and it would be legally binding.
I know it was a settlement but Kaep has already lost his career and stood to lose nothing more except receiving less money.
We shouldn't have to wait for there to be a next guy when the opportunity was here and the NFL could have paid in more than money.

You can spin this for whatever but the truth is that it was not good for the cause.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm an Eagles fan, and I'm going to tell you that you are flat out wrong there. Eagles fans were up in arms, and some were threatening to boycott. Michael Vick also was cheap as hell from what I remember, and even then the Eagles had to be talked into signing him. It took a while for Eagles fans to warm up to him, but winning will do that. The difference here is that Mike Vick went to jail, and paid for his crimes, once he came back and showed that he had changed, the media circus disappeared. Kaepernick did nothing wrong, but he would have brought a media circus with him, and alienated fans wherever he went. That circus would have been ever-present, and his price tag wouldn't be worth it for most teams. Peterman might be the worst QB of all time, but he is cheap, and isn't going to alienate the fans.

I've lived in the philly area for 35 years pal. Im well aware of the fan reaction to Vick. The second he won a game nobody gave a damn.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Kaep to my Browns please?

Kaep to the Patriots to replace TB in a couple years?

edit: 60-80 mill? why ever play again? I suppose he can play if he feels like being bothered still.

Oct 29, 2017
Kaepernick is by far the most overrated QB on ERA. Beat out by Gabbert, 3-16 in his last 19 games. Great QBs rise above that. Regardless of that fact, he was still black balled though by all but one team (think he cost himself a spot on the Ravens when his gf/wife trashed the owner). Would've been interesting had it gone all the way to trial to see how deep the hole went. Think all the sports leagues have dirty laundry so we have all missed an opportunity to get a deep dive into one of them. Too bad we will never know all the details with 100 percent confidence (evidence/arguments, settlement amount, etc.).
You obviously don't know anything about football. As a person who actually attended his last football games. A lot of those losses were due to Chip Kelly. Kelly was the worst coach in the NFL by an long mile. There were three games I went to where Kaepernick would put his team up multiple touchdowns in the first quarter. Only for Kelly's Fast Break style to lose the game.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Don't fall for the bait folks. ^

This post has all the normal copy and paste "arguements"...lol

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see any reason why they'd settle unless there was proof of collusion and the NFL completed capitulated. There's no other reason for them to settle. Kaep either got paid or got complete assurances that he'd be on a roster next season.

Don't fall for the bait folks. ^

This post has all the normal copy and paste "arguements"...lol
This. That was statistically one of the worst teams ever.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You obviously don't know anything about football. As a person who actually attended his last football games. A lot of those losses were due to Chip Kelly. Kelly was the worst coach in the NFL by an long mile. There were three games I went to where Kaepernick would put his team up multiple touchdowns in the first quarter. Only for Kelly's Fast Break style to lose the game.

Yup. Eagles fans know EXACTLY how bad Chip Kelly was. I was amazed the 49ers hired him after he was run out of town. Its like the owner hated wins or something.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kareem Hunt just signed with the Browns and he is an absolute piece of shit. The fact that kneeling for an anthem alienates fans has nothing to do with Kaep, and everything to do with the type of fans the NFL cultivates.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Get your money young man.
Doesn't have to be a slave to the league and risk brain damage and still get paid. Nice...
Kaep won.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kareem Hunt just signed with the Browns and he is an absolute piece of shit. The fact that kneeling for an anthem alienates fans has nothing to do with Kaep, and everything to do with the type of fans the NFL cultivates.

Never said it was right, but those fans are the ones with the money, and at the end of the day it is a business.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad he got his money. He can probably focus on other social justice issues and do a lot of good with it. Fuck playing for the NFL

Yeah it's bad that we will never get the NFL's shit aired in public but we all know what they did and them caving here is a sign of that.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does this mean colon is done with nfl? Any chance he goes back to try the mlb? Or is he to old

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Eagles fans know EXACTLY how bad Chip Kelly was. I was amazed the 49ers hired him after he was run out of town. Its like the owner hated wins or something.

yankeeh8er where you at?

Status
Not open for further replies.