• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I think there is zero chance Kaepernick gets a NFL job. The confidentiality agreement only ensures that the NFL doesn't have to talk about why they are going to continue to blackball him.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for Kaep. NFL still ain't shit and between this and the CTE cover-up, their troubles are far from over.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
My initial reaction was "Well, Kaep is a sell out." It felt terrible thinking that the NFL's discriminatory policy would get sealed up and nothing comes from this except for Kaep getting paid.

But, after thinking on it for a few more minutes, I think a lot of good can come from this. Kaep has been very reliable so far and it's only fair to trust him on this, but if he takes even 10% of that $60-$80 million rumored payday and puts it towards a good cause, I'd say it's a big win.

Oct 30, 2017
IThere are people like Mike Vick that got caught murdering dogs, went to federal prison for it and STILL came back to a starting job in the NFL with a collective shrug from Philadelphia fans.

The "baggage" argument holds no water here.

Peterman for reference doesn't just "suck" he's statistically the WORST quarterback in the NFL going back over 40 years. He's still in the NFL and still playing.
While i agree on Peterman, I don't agree that the baggage claims hold no water. Once the kneeling issue, kneel away my friends, became big news then the baggage started piling up. Vick went away for a few years, came back apologetically (not saying Kaep should by the way). Everyone wanted to see his redemption from Dog Killer to what he became.

Kaep ended up filing a greivance against the league, and once that happened not one owner would touch him. And the settlement is as much for the next CBA negotiations as anything else I think. Personally I don't think there was a grand conspiracy or collusion against him. I just think no one wanted him on their team.

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing it was only a few in ownership that were dumb enough to create a paper trail of the collusion.

They only needed to shut up for 1 year and then they would of had plausible deniability going forward of not wanting to sign a 30yo 5 years past his best play.

But in 2017 Matt Moore, Tom Savage, Drew Stanton, Matt Cassel, EJ Manuel, Blaine Gabbert, and T.J. Yates got starts.
Only Moore has a career passer rating of 80+

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
You obviously don't know anything about football. As a person who actually attended his last football games. A lot of those losses were due to Chip Kelly. Kelly was the worst coach in the NFL by an long mile. There were three games I went to where Kaepernick would put his team up multiple touchdowns in the first quarter. Only for Kelly's Fast Break style to lose the game.

I watch too much football sadly. QBs are judged by wins/losses. Single most important position in the game with the biggest influence on the outcome of the game. Chip wasn't great no argument there!

I think he was blacklisted. He deserved to get paid for the blacklisting. It's pretty difficult to think otherwise with how things went down. Many QBs out there he was better then. Just didnt see him as great or on a hall of fame trajectory that others seem to.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for more right-wing NFL fans to tell me Kaep just wasn't good enough and there was no collusion between teams.

27 Burritos

Dec 27, 2018
It's kind of disappointing that Kaepernick can't talk about the issues anymore. It feels like we'll never get closure.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the NFL was most afraid of is that a loss on a collusion lawsuit= players could break the labor agreement and strike.

Also doubt this agreement gags Kaep about the issues, just the settlement details.

Oct 29, 2017
I watch too much football sadly. QBs are judged by wins/losses. Single most important position in the game with the biggest influence on the outcome of the game. Chip wasn't great no argument there!

I think he was blacklisted. He deserved to get paid for the blacklisting. It's pretty difficult to think otherwise with how things went down. Many QBs out there he was better then. Just didnt see him as great or on a hall of fame trajectory that others seem to.
You know that Kaepernick win/loss record was amazing a couple of seasons earlier? He played in a super bowl.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people talk about baggage? Kareem hunt dropkick the woman on live video and it's going to start for browns next year .Ain't no one care about baggage in the NFL.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
You know that Kaepernick win/loss record was amazing a couple of seasons earlier? He played in a super bowl.

Am aware. Small window IMO. QBs I see as worse than Kaepernick have done good things for small time periods but ultimately proved unsustainable. Really no way to know either way how it was going to go for Colin as he was blacklisted. He may have turned it around, he may not have. NFL robbed us from ever knowing.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, not sure how to interpret this.

Is this a win for Kaep because he was right all along or is this a loss because he was bought at a high enough price to keep his mouth shut...

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Well, not sure how to interpret this.

Is this a win for Kaep because he was right all along or is this a loss because he was bought at a high enough price to keep his mouth shut...

Even insinuating that cap was bought is a ridiculous question because it was a lawsuit and the lawsuit was always about money and whether the NFL was blackballing him thus preventing him from earning a living in the NFL. He probably never plays in the NFL again in my opinion considering who most of the owners are. The only team I could even see having a slim chance of picking him up is the Panthers if Cam's shoulder is not good enough to go next season.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So late yesterday a story came out saying that the AAF (the new football league) had approached both Kaep and Tebow to play. The report claimed that Kaep said it'd take 20m+ for him to even consider playing. Turns out that it was a bullshit story that conveniently came out a day before this settlement

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I hope he keep being spokesman for major organizations. Maybe take a pay cut and do some pro bono form non profit orgs.

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I'm glad this is "over." Does this mean I can go back to pointing out that Kaep was a mediocre quarterback before he started kneeling and not be labeled a race-traitor for it?

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
Mans got PAID and avoided further bodily harm that comes with the territory. That's a personal victory.

What he does from here on out will show what he's really about.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My take is that if Kaep got paid, wouldn't it be because something even more damaging to the NFL could've been revealed during a public trial?

I mean, if you got nothing to hide, you don't pay and you fight.
Probably but paying up front is cheaper in the long run. Fighting it out in court is far more expensive than just settling and then the bad press the NFL would get especially if the collusion was even remotely close to being proven. Places settle out of court all the time without admitting fault.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
, but if he takes even 10% of that $60-$80 million rumored payday and puts it towards a good cause, I'd say it's a big win.

By most accounts the guy has basically become a shadow philanthropist spending his time researching the right causes and then giving money without asking for any acknowledgment. There was a great SI article last year about what he's been doing since he's been out of the league.

Oct 27, 2017
This is disappointing, but after this long I want to believe that he did what was necessary. It's just frustrating that the NFL gets to walk away again without having to admit to shit.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why the presupposition is that the NFL(owners/front office)prioritizes wins over everything else.

Have you seen QB roster choices made in the last three years?

I mean, there's been hella reporting that teams weren't taking him because of the kneeling. We know that they've asked that of everybody who was in the news for kneeling.

We also know that news spectacles aren't enough to black list a player. See every player who was signed to a team with a domestic violence case.

I just don't see why everyone is tripping over themselves to defend the honor of nearly three dozen billionaire owners.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I'm glad this is "over." Does this mean I can go back to pointing out that Kaep was a mediocre quarterback before he started kneeling and not be labeled a race-traitor for it?

I mean, paying someone to shut up when the league has the manpower to fight arbitration implies something. They're acting mighty guilty if they're stuffing mouths with that much gold. The narrative that Kaepernick was forced out of the league over his protest is going to be strengthened by this, not weakened.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Kaep's going to use that money for good so that's dope.

You don't know that. If Kaepernick was true to his word, he would have fought the NFL to the end, especially if he had a strong case, and could have exposed the NFL. By settling early, he basically sold out to the NFL.

Whatever he got is a drop in the bucket for the NFL; now whatever he supposedly stood for is buried six feet under, which was the NFL's goal all along. I'd say both sides won here, the NFL for getting rid of an annoyance, and Kaep for profiting from his kneeling.

I mean, paying someone to shut up when the league has the manpower to fight arbitration implies something. They're acting mighty guilty if they're stuffing mouths with that much gold. The narrative that Kaepernick was forced out of the league over his protest is going to be strengthened by this, not weakened.

Not necessarily. Settling early is a heck lot cheaper than potentially going to trial and face potentially a greater financial penalty and public scrutiny). Besides, as I said earlier, whatever amount they gave Kaep is pretty much irrelevant for the NFL, and they get to shut him / narrative up for good.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't know that. If Kaepernick was true to his word, he would have fought the NFL to the end, especially if he had a strong case, and could have exposed the NFL. By settling early, he basically sold out to the NFL.

Whatever he got is a drop in the bucket for the NFL; now whatever he supposedly stood for is buried six feet under, which was the NFL's goal all along. I'd say both sides won here, the NFL for getting rid of an annoyance, and Kaep for profiting from his kneeling.

Not necessarily. Settling early is a heck lot cheaper than potentially going to trial and face potentially a greater financial penalty. Besides, as I said earlier, whatever amount they gave Kaep is pretty much irrelevant for the NFL, and they get to shut him / narrative up for good.

Kap isn't profiting from his kneeling, he's arguably getting what he would have gotten In contracts had he not been blackballed.

Are families of police brutality victims that settle with cities over wrongful death also "selling out"?

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
one way to get a figure for how much he got is if he donated a large amount to charity or something.

Not that he has to as it's his well earned and deserved money but that would be a good fuck you to the nfl.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The fact they settled speaks enough. Kaepernick mustt had the dirt

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
An NDA surely means the NFL absolutely acknowledged that he was blackballed from the league and don't want anyone to know about it. Those who did nothing wrong don't keep things a legally binding secret.
If they had admitted to anything there would not of been any need for this settlement. The league wanted the controversy surrounding this gone and the best way to do that was settle and silence him with an NDA. Protests surrounding the half time show was embarrassing for them and likely would not of ended next year either unless they did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.