• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
sounds like the smartest business decision of all time

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
What did Ni No Kuni do to deserve this?

Turning one one of the most charming games in to a scam.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
So disappointing. I was considering installing it just to run around the beautiful world, but once I got a whiff of them adding crypto/NFTs I knew not to touch this with a 10 foot pole. Especially lame because the Asia release doesn't have any of this BS.

Hoping they still eventually give us a Ni No Kuni 3. The franchise has always fallen just a few steps away from greatness to me. The art, music, and world is always gorgeous but let down either by gameplay in the first or story in the second.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
xnevojrqh1691.jpg

f0d7x7vfbh591.jpg

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who played the game a lot and will start pulling back a bit once my current monthly login thing runs out, I guess I might as well elaborate on some misconceptions people are having.

The game deserves getting trashed on, mostly because of its Crypto implementation and rather scummy monetization practices, but for the purpose of this thread, its still probably worth reiterating that most of whats implied here is simply false.

1. The pass has been in the game since the beginning, not because it was overrun by bots
2. The main purpose of the pass is a daily source of income of premium currency, which is the same in every MMO game ever.
3. The pass offers an additional queue support thing.

The login/bot thing has recently become an issue though, and I can imagine many people will be put off by it because the activity in the game is already declining quite heavily.

I am not even sure what the endgame is here, because Netmarble should know that you need a healthy community of paying and non paying players for this type of game and at the rate this is going, not even the paying players will find much value left. Its rather unfortunate how all of this turned out. Sad to see, as the underlying idle game was really fun to grind through.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
That's usually a monthly pass giving Daily rewards. I would imagine it is the same case with this game as the picture above shows. But yeah, ridiculous for that to be the way to get to play the game.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
$8 a day? I remember paying £8 a month for MMOs back as a teenager and not having to worry about a bunch of extra horseshit to simply play the game for that price......Jesus I fucking hate the way shits gone in parts of the gaming industry.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently the package was always available, but the fact that such a package exists in the first place... lmao

broke: selling battle passes so people will play the game daily
woke: selling passes so people can maybe play the game daily

System2

Oct 27, 2017
California
I really liked this game at the start. And felt it actually was fairly f2p friendly. Which only lasted until you realize that everything they added / changed for global release made the game way less f2p friendly. Constantly running into a territe wall that doesn't exist in other versions. Not to mention they suddenly dropped the 4* and 3* hatching rates for familiars dramatically. They masked it as a "fix" for global, and covered it up with 1st year anni on other vers.

Mineaz well add the rest:
You can't gain a daily source of premium currency like in other versions either.
Pvp has a Aesterite system in it that makes it inherently more p2w and less casual fun.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the twist is that it's netmarble's bot who congested the login queue in the first place lmao.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
>Create the "problem"
>Sell the "solution"

The classic, scummy well-trodden business plan of scummy businessmen throughout history.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So disappointing. I was considering installing it just to run around the beautiful world, but once I got a whiff of them adding crypto/NFTs I knew not to touch this with a 10 foot pole. Especially lame because the Asia release doesn't have any of this BS.

Hoping they still eventually give us a Ni No Kuni 3. The franchise has always fallen just a few steps away from greatness to me. The art, music, and world is always gorgeous but let down either by gameplay in the first or story in the second.
2 still sold really well, so there's a good chance L5 makes it eventually (if they're not already working on it because they were hiring for a big RPG a while ago).

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who played the game a lot and will start pulling back a bit once my current monthly login thing runs out, I guess I might as well elaborate on some misconceptions people are having.

The game deserves getting trashed on, mostly because of its Crypto implementation and rather scummy monetization practices, but for the purpose of this thread, its still probably worth reiterating that most of whats implied here is simply false.

1. The pass has been in the game since the beginning, not because it was overrun by bots
2. The main purpose of the pass is a daily source of income of premium currency, which is the same in every MMO game ever.
3. The pass offers an additional queue support thing.

The login/bot thing has recently become an issue though, and I can imagine many people will be put off by it because the activity in the game is already declining quite heavily.

I am not even sure what the endgame is here, because Netmarble should know that you need a healthy community of paying and non paying players for this type of game and at the rate this is going, not even the paying players will find much value left. Its rather unfortunate how all of this turned out. Sad to see, as the underlying idle game was really fun to grind through.

If I had to pay extra to get into FF14 during the rush I would have quit that fucking game so fast it wouldn't be funny. If they are charging people 8 bucks to get in because they can't get theur shit together and made dumbass decisions that is on them full stop. I'll be damned if I pay for a companies stupidity and greed

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to pay extra to get into FF14 during the rush I would have quit that fucking game so fast it wouldn't be funny. If they are charging people 8 bucks to get in because they can't get theur shit together and made dumbass decisions that is on them full stop. I'll be damned if I pay for a companies stupidity and greed
Not even sure if most people who play actively are even aware of it yet. I wasn't until reading some comments about it. Most people bought the pass out of habit for premium and I suppose people who don't want to resub after the initial period will be in for a rude awakening once they run out.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
$8 a day? I remember paying £8 a month for MMOs back as a teenager and not having to worry about a bunch of extra horseshit to simply play the game for that price......Jesus I fucking hate the way shits gone in parts of the gaming industry.
It's per month as the other person posted, it was in the game on launch too when I tried it. They just bolted it on to the monthly subscription which gives daily premium currency.
Yeah I don't get it either. I didn't mind the idea of it having autoplay - I think a lot of mobile games force you to play too much even for the grindy rubbish stuff, so being able to auto that and just play the hard content sounded appealing, that and I like Ni No Kuni. The game seemed like it could be somewhat amusing at first.

However it's 100% a game you just get nothing if you don't whale. Even being a dolphin would likely be pointless because it wouldn't get you anywhere good. The rates are garbage and you need many duplicates if you wanted to compete in PvP. The PvP gives mega rewards(rare familiars/equip etc) if you rank high - which would only be attainable if you whaled. So the whales get stronger than they already would have been because of how much you can P2W. The grind is ridiculous since they added the stupid crypocurrency territe so you'd constantly have to either grind that, or grind gold ontop of already being bottle necked by the usual upgrade items. So that'd be more money they'd want you to chuck at the game - to buy all the upgrade mats/territe etc.

I've heard that even the hatching got mega nerfed into the ground too. I at least managed to get a rare familiar on launch because those rates at least seemed slightly kinder. Too bad I guess, they just want people who can throw their wallets at the game.

Overall just sad this is what Ni No Kuni turned into.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if netmarble is treating this game as a test subject. If it dies, it dies, but we got info out of it.

Meanwhile, L5 watches in horror as it's child is dissected in front of them

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting, in the end bots will be 90% of the playerbase until this game fail to attract new players to increase their crypto value and has to shut down, like all play 2 earn models.

Imagine being Level 5, struggling to release good content in several years, and when you have a decent project, you're okay with doing this shit.

Last edited:

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Depressing honestly. I like a lot of games Level 5 has made over the years and I was hoping that there was potential in this to give them some kind of resuscitation but with NetMarble being in the drivers seat it's going to get milked for whatever they can squeeze out of it and then run into the ground until they shut down the servers.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing since the global release and mostly enjoyed it aside from a few annoyances but I'm about to drop it because of this stuff. I'm not waiting 10+ minutes to log into a mobile game on my phone and deal with their scummy practices once I'm logged in. Yet another disappointing mobile game that should've been much better that was ruined by greed.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most aggressive montezation I've seen in a game to the point it wraps back around to being fucking hilarious

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
So instead of solving the real issue (bots) they slap queue tickets on an existing monthly subscription, effing everyone else up in the process...

That IS sad.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I felt insulted playing the game just by the fact that the game plays itself and fights for me. I had no control over what I was doing.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This is honestly kind of impressive, not gonna lie. Like yeah, it's obviously scummy, but the fact that it seemingly works is on a whole new level, I almost have to appreciate it