• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I made the plunge and got me that Switch Collector's Edition off of Strictly Limited Games. I never did play the original Ninja Warriors, so I think I'll be getting the best introduction through this new game!

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game got push back to August 30 for North America and Europe. You can still import the Southeast Asia version if you want to play it earlier, and it supports english.

Man, that sucks. And the delivery options on Play-Asia for Europe are so expensive. The cheap ones are worthless, and then it jumps directly to double the price of the game.

I don't like doing that if I can get the physical version, but I'll have to get it on the Japanese eShop I guess.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Question, is the physical copy of the game a limited game's exclusive in North America? I need to know before I decide to import one fron Southeast Asia.

Edit: Never mind, the answer was on their website.

Last edited:

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well I guess I will just stick with my Strictly Limited Switch physical version. I was going to get it digitally on PS4 as well but I guess not now with this news.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, like others in this thread, I was a bit bothered by Yaksha's huge breasts and overall weird proportions, especially considering the fact that she isn't otherwise sexualized in the way so many female characters are in Japanese medium. She's fully clothed and not portrayed as fragile or in suggestive poses. She's pretty much just a badass robot ninja, right? Something did not compute.

I decided to look up the origin of the Yaksha / 夜叉 name, since it often comes up in manga and anime. Off the top of my head, I can think of Rumiko Takahashi's manga Inuyasha, or the manga Basilisk, in which one of the male ninjas is called Yashamaru. I'm sure there are many more examples I'm not aware of.

Turns out that yaksha are supernatural beings/deities in Hindu, Jain and Buddhist folklore. They can be male or female. Female yaksha are called yaksi or yakshini, and they're often depicted as - to quote Wikipedia - "beautiful and voluptuous, with a chauri (fly-whisk) in right hand, fleshy cheeks, with wide hips, narrow waists, broad shoulders, knotted hair and exaggerated, spherical breasts" (emphasis mine). Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakshini

... Huh.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So, wait. To confirm:

1.; SLG did a limited collectors edition (2 versions, I guess)
2. Play Asia and others are selling a Multi-Language version for July 25
3. A NA/EUR version is now announced with key chain and other bonuses for August

Is this correct? If so, totally cancelling my Asian orders.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to wait for that physical version. Ugh dunno about the date though. So little time to play all these games. Anyway... day one!

Oct 26, 2017
That delay stings, but I'll be kept busy with other games in the meantime.

By the time Ninja Warriors finally hits my doorstep, I should be free and clear!

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I had no clue this was being released until now. I'm down, the SNES game was great fun.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So, wait. To confirm:

1.; SLG did a limited collectors edition (2 versions, I guess)
2. Play Asia and others are selling a Multi-Language version for July 25
3. A NA/EUR version is now announced with key chain and other bonuses for August

Is this correct? If so, totally cancelling my Asian orders.
Mostly, we don't know anything about Asia version having first day bonuses. The ININ version also has stickers and a poster, which is most likely different from the SLG's poster.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/all

So, it seems the regular collector's edition is still available. Seems the more expensive expensive edition that is sold just comes with a soundtrack.

But yeah, this physical release seems confusing. Shame I was not aware of this the past month as this is one of my most anticipated games of the year.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the western release will have an edition with the soundtrack?

I reeeaaaaaaallllyyyyy want the soundtrack.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with me is this.

Now I know that a physical edition existed and I can't have it, I'm much less likely to buy the game at all.

(and the limited edition is too expensive for me)

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A minor feature but it looks like you change the color of blood in the game: either red or green.

Can confirm. They basically strived to add everything the original arcade title Ninja Warriors had so that this remaster feels more like a sequel, and made sure you understand that in the trailer. Namely:
- red blood, as you pointed out
- the classic Zuntata soundtrack
- 2-player coop (Again was 1P-only, unlike the first game)
- 16:9 aspect ratio (yes, they do advertise it as a way to more closely emulate Ninja Warriors's triple-screen setup in the trailer, which is kinda funny but fair game I suppose)
- the ability to throw shuriken with Kunoichi (or other projectiles with Kamaitachi for instance).

I'd say the only real classic feature that seems to be missing is the battle damage that slowly reveals the robotic parts of your characters. Only when you die does that happen.

Also, note that the trailer states that the Zuntata soundtrack must be unlocked by "meeting certain conditions". No more details on what those requirements might be, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say finishing the game, maybe even without using any continues. I think Wild Guns Reloaded had a similar mechanic.

If it's anything like their communication on Wild Guns Reloaded, we'll get a 4th and final trailer on release day with the remaining features revealed. Maybe a few additional stages like in WGR?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The problem with me is this.

Now I know that a physical edition existed and I can't have it, I'm much less likely to buy the game at all.

(and the limited edition is too expensive for me)
The ININ version is still coming out on August 30, and it already has its page up in Amazon UK. These are the preorder bonuses you get by getting that version.
D952zNFXkAAlluP

Oct 27, 2017

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Are people seriously in here complaining about comically large boobs in a silly game starring robot ninjas? It's a brand new character, not like they went back to revise one of the originals like what happened with Umihara Kawase.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Whoever call Yaksha's boobs being her storage compartment for her coil arms was right. They shrink whenever she does her long attacks.

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
Whoever call Yaksha's boobs being her storage compartment for her coil arms was right. They shrink whenever she does her long attacks.

Imma tell my buddies, "I told you so". Also good on Kilrogg for that research into the Yakshini mythological link--Natsume Atari team doing good work. Buying this on jPSN cause I ain't waiting a month for an NA release.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Important to note that the website still has a ??? tab still unaccessible even after the game is release. It could hint towards their being hidden secrets in the game, or maybe future DLC.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imma tell my buddies, "I told you so". Also good on Kilrogg for that research into the Yakshini mythological link--Natsume Atari team doing good work. Buying this on jPSN cause I ain't waiting a month for an NA release.

No problem. Thought nobody had noticed haha.

Bought the game yesterday, played through the first level with Kunoichi. Good stuff so far, though it kinda sucks that the new characters, old soundtracks and difficulty mode have to be unlocked through completing the game several times, but oh well. Also, the manual is kinda weird, as it almost seems like some character moves are not explained at all.

As a sidenote, I'd forgotten you had to jump through hoops to buy games on the Japanese eshop. I had to buy a prepaid gift card on a third party website to be able to purchase the game. The eshop just won't accept foreign credit cards and paypal accounts. It's annoying.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does the game have online co-op or just local? I'll get it either way but it would be great if it's online too.