• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
7JnlSGI.png

Piko Interactive, a rather new game development and publishing company that started out in 2013, are resurrecting the game '40 Winks' for the Nintendo 64 through Kickstarter. It is now funded as of this post with $20,000 raised. Kickstarter backers will get a physical Nintendo 64 game pak that plays on real hardware and an accompanying Nintendo 64 box and manual. A special edition set is also available that features a colored game pak ala Donkey Kong 64's yellow cart.

40 Winks was an action platformer that originally released on the PSX and was slated to release on the Nintendo 64 but got cancelled due to underlying financial issues. Doing some research about Piko Interactive, it seems their whole schitk is them buying video game rights from dead companies and re-releasing them on retro platforms.

IKSM2ZK.gif

What's notable about this kickstarter is that this will be the first fully-fledged Nintendo 64 game to be released in 16 years...the last official release being Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 from 2002 in North America.

There are some kickstarter goals that haven't been met yet that seem pretty cool!

JMAb1pk.jpg

Kickstarter Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retrogames/40-winks-a-new-nintendo-64-game/description

Kinda curious, has anyone played this game on the original Playstation? Is it any good?

Edit:

The rom they have is confirmed to be different (and newer) than the leaked prototype rom released years ago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retrogames/40-winks-a-new-nintendo-64-game/posts/2132170

Last edited:

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
The Kickstarter page looks awful and so does the game. No fun allowed, etc etc but this looks like hot garbage.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So for $125k they will port the game to Dreamcast?

How do we know that doesn't just mean a PS1 disk image using Bleemcast?

Oct 31, 2017
Lol wtf. I have a copy of this game for the original Playstation. I don't remember it much at all, and it kind of blurs together with other mediocre 3D adventure/platformers from that era, like Rascal. Haven't thought about it in years, so it's surreal to see this.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

I'm also kind of weary whether or not Piko are going to use the 40 Winks prototype rom image that was leaked back in 2008 for this kickstarter: http://hiddenpalace.org/40_Winks_(Oct_7,_1999_prototype) or if they're straight up finishing the port that didn't make it to the N64. If it's the former that's mad sketchy since as of last year it's been pretty easy to throw N64 rom images onto custom flashed pcb boards that work on N64 hardware.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it does say that they are putting a feature only found on the N64 version (co-op) which probably means it's not a straight up port of the PSX version.

Now if it's true or not I can't say.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda curious, has anyone played this game on the original Playstation? Is it any good?
I've played the N64 version. Some years ago, a PAL review copy leaked. (I assume this is either based on that dumped ROM hacked to support 60Hz, or they've gotten their hands on the source code. No way of knowing at this point.)

It's hard to describe. I haven't played a huge amount of the game, but it's... decent. An above average late 90s platformer. I doesn't have the creativity and technical prowess of something like Rocket: Robot on Wheels, but it's leagues above and beyond something like Donald Duck: Quack Attack. I guess maybe Duck Dodgers Starring Daffy Duck would be a good reference in terms of quality. One really curious design choice was replacing the pre-rendered cutscenes with realtime ones with full voice acting. The N64 port clearly had some work put into it.

This is pretty neat. I hope it gets funded.
Already met its funding goal by the looks of it.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I played 40 winks(or the demo or something) many years ago on PS1, not sure what's the value on bringing it to Nintendo 64 of all places, but ok.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I haven't bought a new release since AC Origins, so I'll splurge on the $45.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The stretch goal of a 40 Winks Dreamcast port is interesting, and implies they have source code access.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The stretch goal of a 40 Winks Dreamcast port is interesting, and implies they have source code access.
Yeah I was kind of skeptical whether or not they acquired it but since they're releasing it on Steam and maybe Dremacast like you said, I have a little more faith. Man...I curate a discord for the N64 development community and them releasing the source code for that game would be monumental for the homebrew scene. We've been pretty much stuck with romhacks and primitive tech demos for so many years.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
along with the other news about the Genesis getting a new game, how does this stuff work? Don't they have to get the ok from Nintendo to publish stuff on the platform? I find it hard to believe they'd give that ok.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
OH MAI GAAAAHD NINTENDO SIXTY FOUUURRRR!!!

...But in all seriousness, I could think of some other canned N64 titles that should see a release. With that said, seeing as this is one of the first Kickstarters I've seen where the goal is to release a fully playable and working cart is in itself admirable. Hmm...

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was kind of skeptical whether or not they acquired it but since they're releasing it on Steam and maybe Dremacast like you said, I have a little more faith. Man...I curate a discord for the N64 development community and them releasing the source code for that game would be monumental for the homebrew scene. We've been pretty much stuck with romhacks and primitive tech demos for so many years.
Any of the old Dextrose guys around there?

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Any of the old Dextrose guys around there?
Dextrose is a name I haven't heard in a long time! Nah it's mostly new blood on the discord server I'm on. A couple of users there are working on making their own N64 engine, some good progress so far. Most of the old N64 geezers are still in the n64-dev irc channel on EFNet.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Dextrose is a name I haven't heard in a long time! Nah it's mostly new blood on the discord server I'm on. A couple of users there are working on making their own N64 engine, some good progress so far. Most of the old N64 geezers are still in the n64-dev irc channel on EFNet.
New blood? Nice! I wonder if anyone will bother writing RSP microcode there.

And yeah, old timer here. I used to post there as a newb at the time.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Meh, I backed the standard edition. Will be cool to have a somewhat official cart.

Oct 27, 2017
This is really cool and I'd love to own a new N64 game. It was my first console. I have backed a Kickstarter in a long time. Do they charge when you back, or when the campaign ends?

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that's wild. I remember reading a preview about this game in N64 Magazine, then never hearing anything about it again.

ClintStevens

Oct 27, 2017
I remember this game from back in the day, I haven't thought about it in so long. It was one of the first PS1 games I ever played along with Spyro. It honestly wasn't that good though. Might kickstart it just for that sweet controller.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Huh. I never actually played this, but I wanted to. Maybe I can back it when the Cerebrawl KickStarter doesn't make enough money (I'm still hoping for a miracle) & I've recovered from my soul being crushed.

It'd be a nice collector's piece, at least. Even if it takes away THPS2's legacy.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Neat, I remember seeing previews for the N64 version back in the day. Never played it though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
along with the other news about the Genesis getting a new game, how does this stuff work? Don't they have to get the ok from Nintendo to publish stuff on the platform? I find it hard to believe they'd give that ok.
This has to be a 100% unofficial release. Nintendo doesn't manufacture N64 cartridges anymore and isn't going to line up a factory for a limited edition production of a Kickstarter game. It also won't go through certification.

Oct 28, 2017
Nice! Maybe we can get other long cancelled games to come back that never saw release.
I mean I saw the freaking strategy guide in a counter at funcoland back then just before the game was cancelled.

250px-Half-Life_Dreamcast_Cover.jpg

O292vsv.png

Maybe we can get propeller arena as well.

Propeller_Arena_cover.jpg

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
This has to be a 100% unofficial release. Nintendo doesn't manufacture N64 cartridges anymore and isn't going to line up a factory for a limited edition production of a Kickstarter game. It also won't go through certification.
With the newly released Mega Drive game, the dev spoke to Sega to see if he could get it to be officially licensed. Sega said that they no longer have any division to handle things like that, but unofficially wished him well with the project.

I agree that Nintendo probably wouldn't get involved with something like this either.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
Man, I'm not a N64 person, but I have a working DC at home, would love to see them make "new" games for it.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I remember this game. It was set to be released on N64 back in the day but wasn't for some reason.
I'm interested in how this will fare.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This game always had my favorite playstation box art.

nh729QY.jpg

Like Nintendo Magazine had gone rogue and changed allegiances. I'm kind of sad the N64 version getting finished ruins the joke.