• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Mother 3 get announced this E3?

• Yes

Votes: 263 39.8%
  • Of course

Votes: 215 32.5%
  • No, but Mother 4 will

Votes: 369 55.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With E3 coming up, I figure let's have a centralized discussion to talk about what we expect Nintendo to actually show off at E3 this year. As of right now, the only thing about their presence that we know is that they will have Splatoon 2 and Smash invitationals- everything else is up in the air. We don't know what format they will use for their main show this year, how long that show will be, and what kinds of announcements they may have. We don't even know what games are due for the second half of this year, beyond Smash. This thread really puts the "speculation" in "speculation thread" is what I am saying.

With that said, however, the below are what I see as being in the pool of candidates likely to get picked from for Nintendo's E3 show.

ALREADY ANNOUNCED GAMES

FireEmblemSwitch.jpg

FIRE EMBLEM

s-l640.jpg

SUPER SMASH BROS.

maxresdefault.jpg

METROID PRIME 4

maxresdefault.jpg

BAYONETTA 3

pokemon-nintendo-switch-franchise-reboot-rumor.jpg

POKEMON

dims

CAPTAIN TOAD TREASURE TRACKER

2017-06-13-1-620x349.png

YOSHI

Mario-Tennis-Aces.jpg

MARIO TENNIS ACES

RUMORED GAMES
animal_crossing_by_red_flare-d69iff0.jpg

ANIMAL CROSSING

Monolith-Soft_08-20-17_001.jpg

MONOLITH SOFT NEW IP

Banner-RetroStudios2.jpg

NEW RETRO STUDIOS IP

wave-race-470x310@2x-620x349.jpg

WAVE RACE

THIRD PARTY GAMES (CONFIRMED)

Dark-Souls-Remastered.jpg

DARK SOULS REMASTERED

Wolfenstein-II-The-New-Colossus-E3-2017-620x349.png

WOLFENSTEIN 2: THE NEW COLOSSUS

crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-screen-01-us-03dec16-620x349.jpg

CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY

EiL_2X13T2fx-4drC4KIQemjrK4GRZeqwO0EwIJpV4G4cCorbuCe-ovdDte_Rr9nrXdXcsnVu4Fy9G3C5-pXj35VwONUE2Yx5I-UK71ealK_AAGD6b79nnCFSXC-FV2B5ocK-U1P

OKAMI

31.jpg

OCTOPATH TRAVELER

content-4-35355-wewy.jpg

THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU

Travis-Strikes-Again-No-More-Heroes.jpg

NO MORE HEROES: TRAVIS STRIKES AGAIN

Ys-VIII-Lacrimosa-of-Dana.jpg

Ys 8: LACRIMOSA OF DANA

3320162-smtvlogous.png

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI V

1-mega-man-mobilejpg.jpg

MEGA MAN (LEGACY COLLECTIONS and 11)

SPECULATIONS:

Apart from everything else up there, feel free to speculate what else might get added to this list. Sonic Racing 3? Fortnite? GTA 5? Some new Bethesda game(s)? FIFA 19? Madden 19? NFL 2K19? XCOM 2? Divinity 2? Final Fantasy 15 (or any Final Fantasy)? Ridge Racer 8? Mario Maker? A new 2D Mario? F-Zero? Mother 3? Star Fox? Star Tropics? An entirely new IP?

NON GAME ANNOUNCEMENTS:
maxresdefault-1-620x349.jpg

1-virtualconsolejpg.jpg

Daj2Ztf.jpg

These are just the things I think have a shot at being shown off at E3 this year by Nintendo. Now, of course, Nintendo will probably only show some of these things, and without knowing what format they will use for their E3 presence this year, it's hard to know what they might do either way. But still, I think this is the pool from which they can show things at E3 this year- what about you?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Seriously? Im good with that lineup everything else is gravy, you call me a comformist :P

what im hoping for is third party games/ports

Oct 26, 2017
StarFox is kind of rumored.

I would strongly suspect Monolith Soft does not show up this year, just not enough time.

I'm 50/50 on whether Retro's new game will come out in early 2019 or if it's in infinite dev hell and the studio is in trouble. If it's early 2019, then I expect it at e3... If it's not at e3, I'll be a good bit worried about the studio.

Prime 4 I expect to be there.

I kind of think a big, ambitious new 2D Mario could be there, but that could take more time.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't ask for much

Nintendo's Online Service is fully unveiled, the Virtual Console has been rebranded as "Nintendo Vault": A Game-Pass/Netflix style a la carte service which allows subscribers to "lend" (download locally to their Switch) up to 5 games at a time. Alternatively, users can purchase individual titles allowing them to keep them permanently. The service will launch with NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA and GameCube titles, with Dreamcast and Wii coming later. One of the big new features of the service is a dedicated Nintendo Vault team who are committed to updating old titles or finishing off development on features or games which were never released. The service will launch with Starfox 2 and Super Mario 64's 2-Player Mode as examples of this.

Smash Bros for Switch is essentially Smash Bros WiiU: Championship Edition, with a handful of new characters and stages (Inkling, Twintelle, Ice Climbers), but most importantly will be the return of the Smash Ballot and the Smash Ballot Pass, coming alongside the news that Smash will have "Seasonal" updates of 6 characters each, based on requests from the Smash Ballot. Releases alongside the Online Service, and Season 1 of the DLC will kick off this Holiday Season.

Excitebike Assault is a new Excitebike game based off of the gameplay from the Trials HD series, and features local multiplayer as well as a track editor. eShop exclusive, available after the broadcast.

Pikmin 4 allows for up to 4 players locally to control separate leaders and has every species of Pikmin currently seen in the series, with Bulbmin now able to return above ground and stay with the crew. Bingo Battle makes a glorious 4-player return, and there is a Pikmin-style MOBA mode included.

Retro's new title is finally unveiled as an MMO style game about tracking down and capturing footage of mythical creatures such as Bigfoot, Yeti, and the Loch Ness Monster. Players can party together and set out on expeditions to find these legendary beings looking for environmental clues as to their location and setting up camps on longer journeys. The game will be called Rarefied Air and will launch in the Holiday Season.

Paper Zelda
mixes the game-play and artstyle of Paper Mario & Paper Mario TTYD with classic style top-down Zelda dungeons. Combat is in both real time against smaller enemies in dungeons and turn-based Paper Mario style when taking on bosses. No release window given.

Pokémon Snap Frontier is an expanded take of the N64 game with the possibility to snap over 300 Pokémon at launch, and new Pokémon added on a regular basis via updates. Will have integration with the Camera Toy-Con in Nintendo Labo, and will launch in 2019.

Mario Maker 2 builds off of the base of Mario Maker, including keeping all the existing levels, but as an array of new QOL features and objects (slopes). The game now allows for 4 player co-op much like New Super Mario Bros Wii, as well as new styles such as Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Land, Paper Mario and Super Mario 64. Will feature Labo integration with a "Mario Maker Workshop", which allows users to draw out a "screen" of a Mario level on graph paper and scan it in using the IR Camera, meaning players can literally draw out the levels in the way the designers originally would have in the 80s. The game will launch Q1 2019.

Animal Crossing: Home Sweet Home launches alongside the Online Service and is the fully fledged Animal Crossing game people have been clamoring for. Players can move their Villagers freely between their own villages, friends villages, or visit a city populated by other people to go to the carnival, attend slam poetry recitals, or buy designer furniture. New feature involves being able to hide treasure and giving your friends maps to find them, scavenger hunt style.

Metroid Prime 4 is as good as you want it to be, is entirely single-player and takes place on one planet. Big focus on the return and updating of Blast Ball, which will receive a "Testfire" after the presentation. It is confirmed that Hunters style multiplayer will also be present.

Mario Odyssey DLC pass
is announced, with a Galaxy Kingdom, Sprixie Kingdom, Delfino Kingdom and a Pixel Kingdom all shown off.

3rd Party announcements include Overwatch, Fortnite, GTA V, Dragonball Fighterz, Civilization VI, Diablo III, and the announcement of Super Monkey Ball 3.

Also, Nintendo announce Netflix, Folders, and Download Play will be coming to the Switch in a future update.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if we see some of the JRPGs but I'm not really expecting any other than Fire Emblem as both SMT V and Monolith's new game seems pretty far off.

But honestly new Smash trailer alone would be good enough for me. Even better if we get Pokemon stuff.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looking through that OP I'd be pretty ok if they wanted to announce Captain Toad again

it's such a great game it deserves two announcements

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Finally showing us what Retro is working on, so we can put speculation to rest, is one of the things I'm hoping for.

The other is maybe another third party exclusive surprise announcement.

Otherwise...can't fault that list in the OP.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Calling it now, they visit the construction site for Super Nintendo World at USJ as a tie-in to Mario Maker 2

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
My Speculation
  • Nia and Poppi Amiibo announcement
  • Xenoblade 2 Nia Episode, Poppi Episode, Jin Episode and Malos Episode
  • Xenoblade 2 Comrade Expansion, 3 players online co-op
  • Xenoblade 2 Story Expansion,
    Old Elysium, experience the downfall of Elysium and fight through the alien mech invasion.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looking through that OP I'd be pretty ok if they wanted to announce Captain Toad again

it's such a great game it deserves two announcements
I'm not talking about announcements, just games they could show off :P Since Captain Toad won't be out by E3, they could very well have it in their show for a bit.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Seriously though, I've been replaying Mother 3 on my SNES classic, and it's even better than I remember. Easily the best game on GBA and much improved from Earthbound. The quality cant be understated. No wonder fans have been clamoring for it. Who would have thought one of video game's best stories would come from a GBA title?

I'm predicting it for this years E3. Nintendo has been saving it for VC and Nintendo online. Only if GBA is launching with VC, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I just... I just have to see Retro's game. And I need Treehouse footage of it. I just have to have it. It's been too long. I just.. I have to have it...

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The OP should add Sushi Striker: the Way of Sushido, we also know something Ace Attorney related is going to be announced this year (could be a collection + new game).

Inazuma Eleven Ares also is confirmed for this year.

While speculations i'd add Bandai Namco's new Tales of.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I need Animal Crossing Switch, Nintendo. NEED.

My off-the-wall prediction: F-Zero gets the teaser trailer this year (like MP4 did last year).

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Mother 4, let's get crazy.

...will be disappointed if we don't see a new Animal Crossing, even if it won't release this year.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
The only prediction I'm ready to make at this time is that we'll find out about the new USB-C peripheral(s?) that were hinted at a month ago either by E3 or at E3. Really wish people would entertain my desperation to speculate about it more.

I don't ask for much

I'm a big fan of the way you think. I feel like the Netflix-style VC with a reasonable price, solid lineup, new features/enhanced resolution, online play and maybe achievements that post to your Switch profile would go a long way toward filling the hole left by third parties. It would be a hard offer to turn down. I mean, who the hell isn't gonna want all the Pokemon badges from the old games in their achievements list?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
you can add pikmin to rumored.

I don't want much surprisingly.
I want to see Retro's game and it come out before E3 2019.
I don't think Pokemon will look good, so I'm not anticipating it.
MP4 will be interesting I suppose.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Smash character announcement, only the important characters of course like:
  • Nia
  • Poppi
  • Mythra/Pyra I guess
I will boycott Smash if they're not in.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to the smash blowout. Hoping for MP4 footage, and maybe an Animal Crossing announcement.

Also hope we finally learn wtf Retro is working on...

With all the other games already announced but either not yet shown or barely shown, it really wouldn't surprise me if they felt they had enough content to push off revealing Retro's work yet again.
also we all know its just fcking donkey kong

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting Mother 3 would be nice, along with a proper Zelda game and a new Donkey Kong Country game.

Pretty much the only thing I care about, though I am expecting it to be shown off in its own direct prior to E3.

Banner-RetroStudios2.jpg

NEW RETRO STUDIOS IP

I am interested to see what it is...it better be another Donkey Kong Country game.

Monolith-Soft_08-20-17_001.jpg

MONOLITH SOFT NEW IP

That artwork looks nice.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Dark Souls on that E3 list still hurts a bit.

As for other stuff, either a new Mario Maker or a NSMB All Stars for the rumored NSMB game.

Ubisoft's Steep has morphed into a new 1080° Snowboarding.

Diablo 3 is announced.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Here's what I'm expecting...
  • Before E3
    • Pokémon Direct (reveals Pokémon Switch, which will be out November 2018)
    • Smash Direct (gives more details on Smash Switch, which will be out September 2018)
  • E3 Direct/Spotlight
    • Fire Emblem Switch revealed, out December 2018
    • Yoshi shown off, out August 2018
    • Metroid Prime 4 shown off, out in the first half of 2019
    • Animal Crossing revealed, out Early 2019
    • Pokémon Switch gameplay
    • Smash Switch character reveal (another reveal is saved for the Smash Invitational, maybe Ridley)
    • Pikmin 4 officially announced, out 2019
    • Retro's project revealed, out 2019
    • Bayonetta 3 trailer, out 2019
    • New Super Mario Bros. U port revealed (Luigi U included), out October 2018
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Story DLC trailer
    • Dragon Ball FighterZ port announced, out Late 2018
    • Grand Theft Auto V port announced, out Late 2018
    • Ridge Racer revealed, out Early 2019
Diablo 3 is announced.
Usually big Blizzard reveals are saved for either Gamescom or Blizzcon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's their E3:

- Smash Switch will get all the content and characters from Smash Wii U/3DS from day 1, including the DLC characters for free. They'll also reveal a few new characters at E3: Rex from Xenoblade 2, Spring Man from ARMS and KOS-MOS from Xenosaga. September 2018.
- Xenoblade 2 DLC + Xenosaga Trilogy coming to Switch. Both coming August 2018.
- Fire Emblem Switch reveal and date (December 2018). Will have great production values, more serious tone, still the social sim mechanics and an online mode.
- Yoshi gameplay + date (September 2018).
- Metroid Prime 4 gameplay, world is similar to Prime 1 and has Sylux as main villain. Bandai Namco is the developer. "2019" release date.
- Pokémon Switch reveal + trailer. Releases November 2018.
- Ridge Racer from Bandai Namco. Gameplay and a 2018 release date.
- Nintendo Classics Online. Subscription service coming with the Nintendo Online, NES/SNES/GB/GBA coming this year, N64 planned for early 2019. Mother 3.
- Retro Studios new IP. It's a realistic FPS with a big online focus. Coming "2019".
- Fatal Frame 6
- Ports from AAA companies: Evil Within, Resident Evil 4-6, FighterZ and the big one, Fortnite.

Ok, this won't happen, but now I can laugh later looking at this post instead of getting only disappointed.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for whatever happened to Starlink.

It looks amazing, and it's the Snowdrop engine, same engine as Mario + Rabbits. I just want more good space combat games.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
On really looking forward to FE at this point for unannounced titles but can't wait to be surprised.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The already announced games section is enough for me already + Retro's game. Everything else is a plus.
Hype overload.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Here's their E3:

- Smash Switch will get all the content and characters from Smash Wii U/3DS from day 1, including the DLC characters for free. They'll also reveal a few new characters at E3: Rex from Xenoblade 2, Spring Man from ARMS and KOS-MOS from Xenosaga.
- Xenoblade 2 DLC + Xenosaga Trilogy coming to Switch. Both coming August 2018.
- Fire Emblem Switch reveal and date (December 2018). Will have great production values, more serious tone, still the social sim mechanics and an online mode.
- Yoshi gameplay + date (September 2018).
- Metroid Prime 4 gameplay, world is similar to Prime 1 and has Sylux as main villain. Bandai Namco is the developer. "2019" release date.
- Pokémon Switch reveal + trailer. Releases November 2018.
- Ridge Racer from Bandai Namco. Gameplay and a 2018 release date.
- Nintendo Classics Online. Subscription service coming with the Nintendo Online, NES/SNES/GB/GBA coming this year, N64 planned for early 2019. Mother 3.
- Retro Studios new IP. It's a realistic FPS with a big online focus. Coming "2019".
- Fatal Frame 6
- Ports from AAA companies: Evil Within, Resident Evil 4-6, FighterZ and the big one, Fortnite.

Ok, this won't happen, but now I can laugh later looking at this post instead of getting only disappointed.
Aside from the Xenosaga Trilogy, this is actually kind of realistic? lol