• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Update: Journalists got to play with Labo kits at NYC recently, go to 1:38 of the following video to see gameplay of the Toy-Con 02 Robot Kit:

What's newly confirmed:

- Jetpack
- Visor raised up gives you third person view
- Visor facing down gives you first person view
- Can shoot lasers while in vehicle mode

###
Since journalists couldn't test the Robot Kit like they did the Variety Kit, I decided to make this thread to describe how it works based on footage.

The product: https://labo.nintendo.com/kits/robot-kit/

DT0LK9OVoAABF6Y.jpg

As you can see in the above image, there is a backpack with extendable straps where the Right Joy-Con is inserted into the face of it.

There is a visor where the Left Joy-Con is inserted into a slot. (Yes, you only need to use two Joy-Cons with the Robot Kit and it's not used on your hands.)

There are four handles that act as pulleys, they are tied with string, two handles are held by the hands while the other two have straps to tie around the feet to hold it.

DT0EnXSUMAA2ZTT.jpg

In the above image, you can see for the piano from the variety kit that the IR Camera is reading reflective strips of tape to detect the movement of the keys when pressed down.

This is similar to the backpack for the robot kit:

DT0EoQnVQAAQ3jh.jpg

The IR Camera detects those white strips that are moving up and down based on movement of the arms and legs.

If you look at the game shown, it shows the same pulley system on the robot's back:

DT0El4FVMAAYUIC.jpg

What does the visor do? Although it wasn't seen in the footage, the left Joy-Con attached to the visor acts as a head tracker to move the camera in-game for Toy-Con 02.

One last tidbit, technically the robot you control in-game is a Skell:

DT0IYA9UMAES2i-.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
transforming into the car looks like it will play merry hell with my lower lumber for fuck sake

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Thanks for the write-up! This is the kit I know I'll be getting, as my kid already loves robots. I hope it's not too big for a 2 and a half year old!

It's also way more technical than I thought. I figured it was just a cardboard costume with motion control arms, with the Joy-Cons being used in a similar way to Wii Remotes. This looks way better than that!

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the game itself will deliver on what Miyamoto had in mind all those years ago. It looks a lot more fun in its current state rather than with the Gamepad on Wii U, but yeah the customisation, online battles and what have you will be interesting to see if they made the transition.

Great write up on the 'hardware' side of things.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I fixed the image issue now.

OP,
Code:
[IMG]https://media.nintendo.com/labo/QdBpjFCp8So7QVdMxwai/robot-box.webp[/IMG]

[IMG]https://media.nintendo.com/labo/kits/robot-kit/QdBpjFCp8So7QVdMxwai/robot-kit-tile.webp[/IMG]
webp is not a supported image format for embeds.

Ahh, now I see. Thanks

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I really wish I had the room for all of that cardboard because this is some impressive stuff and I really want to give it a try. A lot of thought and work has gone into designing these.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's smart but I wouldnt call that impressive. That's basically "there are strings here" trick.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly interesting. I'd like to see how the size fits for em... curious adults.

I'm impressed it doesn't use the usual, obvious application of Joy-con = arm as in ARMS. That IR camera sure does some black magic.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it won't just be a gimmick game but have actual content. I love mech games, this is weird but I could see myself trying it if the game itself is really good. Not holding my breath but I hope to be surprised.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly interesting. I'd like to see how the size fits for em... curious adults.

There are extendable straps on the visor, backpack, and foot handles.

There's no way the straps were going to be made of cardboard to fit only one size of person. lol

So the Robot Kit is definitely made to fit any person.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
There are extendable straps on the visor, backpack, and foot handles.

There's no way the straps were going to be made of cardboard to fit only one size of person. lol

So the Robot Kit is definitely made to fit any person.

Oh wait, I just saw that you can adjust the length anyway lol. Disregard my comment.

Still out of the other toy-cons, this looks to be the most impressive (outside of Piano) and the one I'm most afraid to try because I tend to break things.

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to see some custom designed skells.. Nintendo is stepping into something very interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
So we need 4 joycons then? I feel lazy to buy 2 more, and they are expensive.

I think just two. One goes in headset to track your movement for when you crouch and turn into a shell (also to look around) and the other in the back of the backpack facing in towards the reflective tape tied to the four strings which represent your arms and legs. So the sensor will see which string is pulled (right arm punch as an example) and your character's right arm moves.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Still out of the other toy-cons, this looks to be the most impressive (outside of Piano) and the one I'm most afraid to try because I tend to break things.

I really want to play Rhythm games on that Toy-Con piano like Voez and Deemo. It would be awesome adding in Piano controls for those games. (Since I'm not expecting the Toy-Con game to be a rhythm game... Yet.)

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we need 4 joycons then? I feel lazy to buy 2 more, and they are expensive.
Just 2. Both have gyro and accelerometers for tracking, but the red joy-con you can see is on the back of the backpack in OP's image. The red joy-con has the IR sensor and is reading all the information of how your moving your legs and arms by paying attention to the white strips moving up and down with the pulley system.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Man, it's pretty ingenious. I was wondering how they would get this to work properly without any extra tech beyond cardboard and joycons. Granted who knows how well it will actually work, but if it does it'll be really cool.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this looks pretty cool. I'm a sucker for mechs/robots so this has my attention for sure.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
So it's just 2 joycons then: left for the helmet, right for the back. I thought you needed 2 more for your hands.

This is impressive.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
So is this the kind of use they had in mind for including the IR camera? Crazy.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Nintendo fowarding augmented robotics with fucking cardboard and Wii Remotes. This is the black magic shit missing from the Wii U era, and Nintendo is honestly nothing without some black magic.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
IMpressive , yes ...
But i can't help but wonder about the durability ... especially since it's a product for 6 to 12 years old

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
So instead of VR Nintendo is doing RR? This fucking company, imagine this in the Wii days

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has worked in retail setting up cardboard displays, these things are going to break even during the set up process for a lot of people.