• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not doubting the ethics of the Dolphin team, I just would hate to be in a situation where I'm reverse engineering something as complex as a game console and not being able to look at source code that just got leaked.
But at the same time, Dolphin is 99% compatible with Wii software. You can even boot and use the OS! Looking at the source code will speed up the completion of that 1% sure, but it's really not necessary for them to do so.

The N64 and DS stuff will likely be combed over by everyone, though. And maybe the Wii stuff if it could pertain to anything worthwhile for the 3DS and WiiU.

Nov 8, 2017
But at the same time, Dolphin is 99% compatible with Wii software. You can even boot and use the OS! Looking at the source code will speed up the completion of that 1% sure, but it's really not necessary for them to do so.

It all boots basically but way more than 1% have some degree of incompatibility or rendering errors in some form.

RoligtJax

May 3, 2020
LQyGbz.png

As you may be aware, in the last few weeks in 4chan multiple Nintendo-related old things have been leaking, starting with old Pokémon debug ROMs and source code, then most recent 3DS debug ROMs, then keys for all consoles up until the DSi and now the biggest of them all: the full source code, design files, documentation and pretty much everything used to create the Revolution, aka Wii.

The files seem to come from a server hack related to the BroadOn company, who Nintendo hired for developing most of the Wii hardware and software.

I'm not going to link it (though you will find it easily on 4chan), but here's all the contents of this massive leak:

The biggest and craziest thing in this leak is the datasheets, block diagram and Verilog files for every component. Verilog is a hardware description language; is used to describe circuits via code, so with this we can learn how every single piece of the Wii was made.

Apart from this, here's everything that has leaked during the past few weeks:

Here's a sample video from one of the leaked N64 files, a demo ROM used by Nintendo to test the console:

There's probably more coming, but counting everything that has leaked so far, has the potential to be the biggest confidential data leak in gaming history.

Does anybody here have the game list or wii design documentation?

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The following documents are unrelated to the leak discussed in OP, they come from a later date, after the Wii was released. These are presentations Nintendo used to introduce developers to the Wii hardware and philosophy.

I think some of you may find these very interesting.

9tpMZu.png

5Ifr34.png

ZEyheQ.png

docdro.id

Wi-Fi Concept.pdf

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Concept David McCarten Senior Director Engineering Department. Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Concept • What is it? – WFC vs. online games. • Where did it come from? • What is the benefit? – To consumers? – To developers?. • What are the basic principles? – Free...

Some other stuff:

Eu0SJf.png

docdro.id

Announcing_WiiWare.pdf

Announcing WiiWare Dan Adelman Nintendo of America. So What Is WiiWare? • WiiWare is NOT Virtual Console • New content to be downloaded for Wii Points from Wii Shop Channel • Distribution system operated by Nintendo • Stored in Wii internal flash memory • Content can be saved to SD card. ...

docdro.id

Wii New Features.pdf

Wii Channels & WiiConnect24 New Features Steve Okimoto Developer Relations Manager Software Development Support Group 1. Wii Expands the Gaming Population • Nintendo's goal for the Wii is to "expand the gaming population", to include not only hard-core gamers, but also casual gamers, lapsed...

docdro.id

Wii Remote Strategies and Algorithms.pdf

Wii Remote Strategies and Algorithms Steve Rabin Senior Software Engineer Software Development Support Group. Agenda • Pointer functionality • Accelerometers – Understanding accelerometers – Gesture recognition algorithms • Wii Sports case study. – Steering. 3D Pointing: Targeting • Aiming or...

Last edited:

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I miss this Nintendo. :(
The following documents are unrelated to the leak discussed in OP, they come from a later date, after the Wii was released. These are presentations Nintendo used to introduce developers to the Wii hardware and philosophy.

9tpMZu.png

5Ifr34.png

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Interesting.

The 12-digit (12-alphanumeric) Friend Code is probably used as a unique identifier to prevent name collisions when multiple Nintendo DS are connecting to other Nintendo DSes in a group session to play multiple, different games. I can sort of see this, if I have the expectation that everyone within my circles all have multiple games supporting Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017

9tpMZu.png

5Ifr34.png

ZEyheQ.png

docdro.id

Wi-Fi Concept.pdf

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Concept David McCarten Senior Director Engineering Department. Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Concept • What is it? – WFC vs. online games. • Where did it come from? • What is the benefit? – To consumers? – To developers?. • What are the basic principles? – Free...

Some other stuff:

Eu0SJf.png

docdro.id

Announcing_WiiWare.pdf

Announcing WiiWare Dan Adelman Nintendo of America. So What Is WiiWare? • WiiWare is NOT Virtual Console • New content to be downloaded for Wii Points from Wii Shop Channel • Distribution system operated by Nintendo • Stored in Wii internal flash memory • Content can be saved to SD card. ...

docdro.id

Wii New Features.pdf

Wii Channels & WiiConnect24 New Features Steve Okimoto Developer Relations Manager Software Development Support Group 1. Wii Expands the Gaming Population • Nintendo's goal for the Wii is to "expand the gaming population", to include not only hard-core gamers, but also casual gamers, lapsed...

docdro.id

Wii Remote Strategies and Algorithms Steve Rabin Senior Software Engineer Software Development Support Group. Agenda • Pointer functionality • Accelerometers – Understanding accelerometers – Gesture recognition algorithms • Wii Sports case study. – Steering. 3D Pointing: Targeting • Aiming or...

I know this has been beat to death the past 15 years, but its surreal seeing it in an internal presentation format. Senior director of engineering felt that having to potentially choose another screenname if yours is already taken conflicts with the "simple" principle, but a 12 digit friend code doesn't?

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
these presentations are really interesting

it really shows how new and exciting wireless play was back then

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I know this has been beat to death the past 15 years, but its surreal seeing it in an internal presentation format. Senior director of engineering felt that having to potentially choose another screenname if yours is already taken conflicts with the "simple" principle, but a 12 digit friend code doesn't?
It's because kids don't know why they can see multiple of their names.

Assuming Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection allows nicknames. You would see a scenario with kids, Marth, and Morth, all used nickname "Mrth". They each see themselves playing Mario Kart DS, and are racing against each other.

Marth thought he is Player 1, but it's actually Morth.

Marth argues with Morth when Marth lost, because Player 2 was in 10th place.

Marth punches Morth.

Morth is sad.

Friendship ends.

I can see why.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
OMG maybe there is something related to Metroid 64, the early builds of Metroid Prime or Metroid Dread :O

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
I bet certain N64 emu devs are really mad that they can't hide omans archive from everyone anymore.
FTiS6kk.png

OV4UlZD.png

Last edited:

Seanlole

Oct 25, 2017
I hope for leaks of

- Mother 3 N64 Beta
- Super Mario 64 Shoshinkai 95 Beta
- Super Mario World Beta

and i can rest in peace.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Someone create a video of FAQs about the Nintendo leaks. It's just a discussion about what the leaks entails.

I wondered if such videos are allowed here:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The rationale for 12 digit codes is bonkers. Come on, Nintendo lol.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Am I the only one who doesn't mind friend codes? A unique name with a hash at the end is the best of both worlds with unique screen names and easy identifiers for dupes, but friend codes are far from the worst idea Nintendo has come up with.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't mind friend codes? A unique name with a hash at the end is the best of both worlds with unique screen names and easy identifiers for dupes, but friend codes are far from the worst idea Nintendo has come up with.
Friend codes were fine in the 3DS era of 1 code for all games, but it was absolute garbage when there was no console wide friends system and you had to give a friend code for every single game you wanted to play with other people with.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Friend codes were fine in the 3DS era of 1 code for all games, but it was absolute garbage when there was no console wide friends system and you had to give a friend code for every single game you wanted to play with other people with.
Ah, so you used to have a different friend code for every online game? That's stupid

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so you used to have a different friend code for every online game? That's stupid
Yeah, every Wii and DS title you had to have a different code for each game so that's where the pure hatred came from. The 3DS was a big step up in that regard, but the term 'friend code' already had a stigma attached that it never really shook.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love stuff like this, interesting and good if it gets some progress done with emulators, wouldn't hurt for N64.

Sails

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people expect that emulator devs aren't going to look at any of the information? Of course they're going to put on the public face of "We won't look at it," that's the logical thing to do. As long as they aren't copying code wholesale they can translate and reconstruct portions of their emulator based on what they've learned from the source code and technical docs and there's no way to prove they looked at it. Nintendo could definitely find routines in Dolphin's source that are very similar to how it's described in confidential technical documents and claim they acquired the document and based that section of code off it. The Dolphin team would have no way to prove they didn't other than hopefully tracking down which developer wrote the original code commit and have them demonstrate how they figured it out in a clean-room setting. Nintendo could have nailed any emulator to the wall years ago with this kind of legal strong-arming but they don't because they can't prove that they looked at the documents.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's hope we get at least better emulation or cool unreleased info out of this.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
To the best of my understanding, Verilog source code is not that useful for Wii/GC emulator development at this point. More and more of remaining mismatches come from stuff that is well understood, but either cannot be done fast on a typical computer setup or requires trickery to do so, and may collide with enhancements. Stuff such as slightly off number rounding, or side effects of cache sizes. As for the actual knowledge gaps, they've been pretty good at poking hardware to find it.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
One of the biggest leaks in gaming history.

if Nintendo finds these guys, they're getting sued back to the fucking Stone Age.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That demo of Diddy Kong Racing running on Xbox is something I would had never expected. Wow!

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Soooo am I the only one that finds it strange that the latest information this guy pulled up was from 15 years ago? Is it because the Switch emu files are deeper into the rabbit hole and/or kept on more secure servers? Or is this guy being benevolent and doesn't want to completely ruin the company?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo am I the only one that finds it strange that the latest information this guy pulled up was from 15 years ago? Is it because the Switch emu files are deeper into the rabbit hole and/or kept on more secure servers? Or is this guy being benevolent and doesn't want to completely ruin the company?
This is answered in the second paragraph in the OP, which shows.... You didn't read the OP.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I'm suprised as I always thought Nintendo developed this stuff in-house (par the switch) which is why I thought it was sub par. im also suprised Nintendo did not take all this stuff off the company after the work was completed as part of the deal.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow all of this is so interesting. I bet Nintendo is losing their minds right now though. They might tighten security even more because of this leak.

I'm wondering if there are any notes towards Sony during the SNES/N64 era.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
I bet certain N64 emu devs are really mad that they can't hide omans archive from everyone anymore.
FTiS6kk.png

OV4UlZD.png
Having documentation for any Silicon Graphics designs at all is massive. People have been trying to develop video drivers for their workstation GPUs so they can run Linux for years, but since they were the first fully-featured OpenGL compatible GPUs made years before the rest of the industry took up the standard, they're highly esoteric and work differently from almost anything that is understood.

Of course, there's also the fact that this makes building a 100% compatible FPGA or clone of the N64 about as trivial as it can be, but that's less interesting to me.

Too bad it would probably be illegal to make anything open source from this knowledge.

Oct 29, 2017
This is the biggest leak in the history of the video game industry.

If these were Nintendo's current platforms, this would literally be the end of their business. All their trade secrets just completely exposed, out in the open. This is piracy taken to the absolute extreme and I don't think most people realise just how bad this is for Nintendo...

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having documentation for any Silicon Graphics designs at all is massive. People have been trying to develop video drivers for their workstation GPUs so they can run Linux for years, but since they were the first fully-featured OpenGL compatible GPUs made years before the rest of the industry took up the standard, they're highly esoteric and work differently from almost anything that is understood.

Of course, there's also the fact that this makes building a 100% compatible FPGA or clone of the N64 about as trivial as it can be, but that's less interesting to me.

Too bad it would probably be illegal to make anything open source from this knowledge.
Agreed. While it's crazy what sort of emulation things can be done with this knowledge it's iffy in terms of legality. It's completely different from trying to reverse engineer and build it out. Either way this is pretty horrible news for Nintendo and I wonder if it will hurt the emulation scene in the future. The last thing we want to see is FGPA clones becoming widely barred from sale because one future clone console came out using reverse engineered emulation source code to build it. While I support emulation and preservation I know how badly a lot of is used for piracy and I have no doubt that this leak is going to cause a lot of harm.

On the flip side I do think that it will push Nintendo to potentially release an official N64 mini at some point

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
This is the biggest leak in the history of the video game industry.

If these were Nintendo's current platforms, this would literally be the end of their business. All their trade secrets just completely exposed, out in the open. This is piracy taken to the absolute extreme and I don't think most people realise just how bad this is for Nintendo...
depends on what else they have. this isn't everything, but also this is technically only up to wii.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Stop talking about how emulators can use this stuff. They can't and won't.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Dolphin is open source though and people can just clone the repo and implement stuff from the leak. Let's see how that turns out in the end.
Generally I feel that SNES might be more interesting than Wii because the ppu is the last thing that is still not completely understood according to byuu.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this.
Pokered and Pokecrystal are also being monitored for suspicious contributions, last I heard. Wouldn't want the years of work that went into those to be lost if someone started using knowledge obtained from the recently leaked sources, hopefully the people involved there understand why something like this would be dangerous.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Dolphin is open source though and people can just clone the repo and implement stuff from the leak. Let's see how that turns out in the end.
Generally I feel that SNES might be more interesting than Wii because the ppu is the last thing that is still not completely understood according to byuu.
Of course, but people who do that will either keep it for themselves, which is fine, or will publish it as a fork of the emulator, in which case that fork can be taken down, but not the original Dolphin

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course, but people who do that will either keep it for themselves, which is fine, or will publish it as a fork of the emulator, in which case that fork can be taken down, but not the original Dolphin
Oh, for sure. I think it'd be nice to see what dolphin did "wrong" and where they did awesome research, though. The project has so many man hours put in, it's perhaps easily the biggest console emulator out there. They just be very close already anyway.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I don't really understand any of this, but these design documents.....are they like old design concepts and concept art from old games? THAT would be awesome to see.

Jan 2, 2018

9tpMZu.png

5Ifr34.png

ZEyheQ.png

docdro.id

Wi-Fi Concept.pdf

Some other stuff:

Eu0SJf.png

docdro.id

Announcing_WiiWare.pdf

docdro.id

Wii New Features.pdf

docdro.id

One slide is called "Great benefit for y'all" ... and the wording on some of those slides is really weird and casual, seems so un-Nintendo to me.