• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
The fights sucks even if it was meant to be a slow samurai-like fight. It's just amateurish. If you want something with that approach but done right, you should look at Luke x Ben.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
George Lucas thought the lightsabers should be heavy, and wielded like large two-handed swords. In addition, in the first movie, the props they were fighting with were very fragile and would break if they contacted each other, so the actors were told to pull their hits - they had to carefully back off from each hit actually contacting the other lightsaber. That's one reason the fight doesn't match up to other ones from later movies.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the bump.

Now I can laugh at all the "It's not bad, you're missing the point!" posts.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
The fights sucks even if it was meant to be a slow samurai-like fight. It's just amateurish. If you want something with that approach but done right, you should look at Luke x Ben.

They had the late, great Bob Anderson on crew though, and he was responsible for the duels. I'm sure someone as seasoned a veteran as him had his reasons for the duel being the way it is. Whatever we think of it, they certainly didn't have an amateur directing the duel.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
George Lucas thought the lightsabers should be heavy, and wielded like large two-handed swords. In addition, in the first movie, the props they were fighting with were very fragile and would break if they contacted each other, so the actors were told to pull their hits - they had to carefully back off from each hit actually contacting the other lightsaber. That's one reason the fight doesn't match up to other ones from later movies.
That and weren't the sabers tied to cables and the cables were hidden by cloaks and camera angles, which further limited their movement?

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
One of my favorite scenes! (the quality of the fighting was unimportant)

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
and theres also basically the fact that obi wan just goes poof when vader hits him lol

an absolute shit scene indeed

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Here, this reimagined version of the fight between Obi Wan and Darth Vader just might solve the problem!!!

Seeing this thread get bumped I knew it was going to be about this.

I thought it was pretty cool. I liked how angry Vader was fighting. Slashing up the walls and just looking like a powerhouse.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm still a bit perplexed why obi Ewan left anakin to burn to death. Anakin was filled with hate and mutilated at that point but obi Ewan acted very un jedi like by just leaving him there. I know that the jedi are the biggest hypocrites in the galaxy but I wonder if he regretted leaving anakin there not so much cause he became Vader but because it was a douche move.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Here, this reimagined version of the fight between Obi Wan and Darth Vader just might solve the problem!!!

So, instead of Old Ben willingly sacrificing himself, he gets punked out by Vader and gives up? Nah............................................................................................................................................

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of the action sequences in the SW movies are trash at worse, and ridiculously mediocre at best.

Clone Wars and The Old Republic CGI movies should've been the gold standard for the ST.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
"it adds weight to the sabers"

But isnt a lightsaber just.... light?

how much light does weight?

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After the amazing climax in episode 3 obi-wan finally meets Darth Vader and commences the most awkward encounter ever. Vader says: "hey man been a long time" obi-wan: "you're bad"(his sickest burn yet).
Uh really? He sliced your legs, burned your body and took your kids and this is what you have to say Anakin?!

Anyway, they continue to flop their lightsabers together like they never touched those things, and obi-wan does those "what's up?!?" tactical movements which the Jedi are known for, this guy was protecting Luke for 20 years after all.
Then he says "if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"
Vader should've laughed at this point. How can he be MORE powerful if he's dead?!?

Then of course he kills him because for whatever reason he decided that he had enough and Vader steps on him. The end.

Wait, there are people that un-ironically think the RotS duel is good? It's a low point even for the prequels.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean
giphy.gif
H9NXnyO.gif

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The point of the fight in the greater narrative was that Obi-Wan was holding Vader off just long enough to sacrifice himself, merge with the Force, and provide motivation for Luke to fight.

In canon, a few years earlier Obi-Wan took down a more calculated, cybernetic Maul in seconds.

While he probably cannot beat Vader at this point in the story his plan was never to beat Vader. If you want to ascribe further motivation he may have also wanted to see if time had curbed Vader's anger. If there was any Anikan left for him to save. But instead "Only a master of evil, Darth."

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I know the choreography is atrocious, but I still think it carries more weight than almost anything I've seen outside of the OT. The lone exception to that would be Rebels' Obi-Wan vs Maul ending on Tatooine (which was fantastic).

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nostalgia clouds everything for some. The prequels gave kids their sugar rush lightsaber battles and many grew up without understanding what made the originals great.
There's no harm in pointing out what's wrong with an opinion or approach to a topic though. Cuz an argument that characterizes the Obi/Vader fight as in the OP is objectively wrong. Obi doesn't just fight him die, and that's that. The entire purpose of his sacrifice is to becoming one with the force so he can help Luke succeed on his hero's journey.

No point in padding discussion because someone's perspective is coming from a place of ignorance.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Obiwans best fight is the obiwan v maul fight from Star Wars rebels.

It's brilliant, and very samurai esque.

I rather like the ST fights as well, great use of style and shows the difference in training and ability.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If I recall, Lucas knew it was a terrible fight but it was the best he could do at the time with what he had. For Empire he went and hired a proper choreographer and hired an Olympic fencer to be the stunt double in Vader's fight scenes.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and if I recall correctly the actors had to be careful because the rods they were given would bend/misalign if they were too forceful.

Yeah, they were originally intended to be a practical effect, which meant they were sticks wrapped with reflective tape attached to batteries and motors in the hilts that made them rotate. They quickly realized - too late for the shooting schedule - that it didn't work at all.

That approach made them incredibly fragile, so the actors or stunt doubles were forced to pull back any contact so as not to break them.

What makes the fight still work, in my opinion, is the implied (at the time) backstory between the characters, and the sacrifice Obi Wan deliberately made.

Oh and Ben Burtt's incredible and innovative sound design.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they were originally intended to be a practical effect, which meant they were sticks wrapped with reflective tape attached to batteries and motors in the hilts that made them rotate. They quickly realized - too late for the shooting schedule - that it didn't work at all.

That approach made them incredibly fragile, so the actors or stunt doubles were forced to pull back any contact so as not to break them.

What makes the fight still work, in my opinion, is the implied (at the time) backstory between the characters, and the sacrifice Obi Wan deliberately made.

Oh and Ben Burtt's incredible and innovative sound design.
Absolutely!

Honestly this fight is a perfect example on how character's drive the drama, and can make uip for all manner of short comings in visual spectacle.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, Lucas knew it was a terrible fight but it was the best he could do at the time with what he had. For Empire he went and hired a proper choreographer and hired an Olympic fencer to be the stunt double in Vader's fight scenes.
Bob Anderson, who you are referring to, was present on the original film. Just in a reduced capacity compared to what he ended up doing in Empire and Jedi.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Hot take: none of the lightsaber fights in all of SW are that impressive.

Not a hot take at all, they are inconsistent, sometimes the blade is weightless and sometime it isn't, the concept is style over substance to the max. That's why I prefer if the focus is not really on the choreography and more about the conflict behind it. Unfortunately, Star Wars fails hard in that aspect on the regular too.