• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
That scene has poor choreography. But it's the first lightsaber scene EVER. With one actor in a bulky costume and the other a 65 year old English actor in a space opera imagining a laser sword.

To those defending the shitty prequel fights:

All the choreography and CGI in the world doesn't mean jack shit in a movie lacking charismatic character building, excellent story telling, and emotional weight.

Compare prequel fight scene #342 to that first scene. In it Kenobi is merely distracting Vader long enough for Luke to escape...then fucking die and become a ghost. Fulfilling a foreshadowed destiny. The scene - clunky as it may be - actually means something.

This lack of understanding is why I can't stand the prequels, Marvel films not called Logan, and the dark place called modern DC films.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The lengths people go to defend A New Hope's shitty fight is crazy

That's an interesting way to characterize (or a convenient way to dismiss) analysis and critique in support of a position that you disagree with.

In general I'm honestly good with both. It's Samurai cinema vs Wuxia. It's a bit conflicting but there are bigger problems in the franchise than that, as much as I love it.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
But why did he call him Darth is Darth his name?

People come for the prequels for their whirly dwirly lightsaber spin fights but the scene at the end of Rogue One where Darth is an epic Marvel movie badass isnt exactly keeping the spirit of the original trilogy either where Darth let his troopers do all the work

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand this nonsense. When I was watching this as a kid it was the most awesome thing, that's all that counts.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I like how in the prequels, ultimate power in the force is expressed in how many flips you can do. in the OT, it was an amazing feat for yoda to life the x-wing out of the swamp. The PT drained a lot of the mysticism out of the Force. I think the new trilogy has done the force a lot better.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fight should have been quicker, with less swings and awakard movements. Lucas really has no excuse 'cause he watched a lot of samurai movies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well Guinness was tired of playing the character at that point and wanted to wrap things up in the worst possible way. And he succeed.

Yup. The scene was a tired old man clearly regretting taking the job and an actor in an unwieldy plastic suit, and basically zero fight choreography. It was never gonna look good.

Oct 31, 2017
Then he says "if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"
Vader should've laughed at this point. How can he be MORE powerful if he's dead?!?

Then of course he kills him because for whatever reason he decided that he had enough and Vader steps on him. The end.

There are two reasons behind Obi-Wan's warning to Darth Vader killing him:

1. He intentionally positioned himself to be struck down in Luke's sight, turning himself into a martyr for Luke Skywalker.
2. He transcends mortality/physical limitation and becomes a pure "Force" being.

Darth Vader steps on him because he slices Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan literally vanishes into thin air. Earlier in the film, you see Obi-Wan dismember the man's arm in the Cantina in Mos Eisley. Darth Vader is obviously aware of the physical properties of a lightsaber, so when Obi-Wan vanishes, he doesn't know what to make of it.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I like how in the prequels, ultimate power in the force is expressed in how many flips you can do. in the OT, it was an amazing feat for yoda to life the x-wing out of the swamp. The PT drained a lot of the mysticism out of the Force. I think the new trilogy has done the force a lot better.
To be fair, Yoda was close to dying. All the Jedi and Sith characters in the prequels are active warriors in a golden age, some of them in their prime. In the OT they're old people who barely use the force, a trainee with barely any training and a maimed guy that can barely breathe.

Of course, these are justifications you can come up with after the fact, Lucas didn't think of this when filming the first movie, but I think it's a reasonable way to look at it.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fight should have been quicker, with less swings and awakard movements. Lucas really has no excuse 'cause he watched a lot of samurai movies.
The saber props had cables and batteries attached to them to spin the blade, and the cables ran into the sleeves of the actors. That didn't allow for anywhere as much freedom as a normal samurai blade.

Porcupine_i

Apr 9, 2018
I know. This scene should have been a lot slower, with only one single strike after a long standoff.

Like a scene from the Water Margin where two fighters face each other. They know they are evenly matched, so they just stand there for a day, waiting for the other one to show a weakness. One eventually attacks when the wind picks up and blows sand in the other one's face.

It could have been Obi being distracted for a split second by Luke calling out to him and Vader seizing the opportunity to strike.

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, it was fucking stupid and the dialog was terrible. "Only a Master of Evil, Darth".

You could tell that Sir Alex Guinness didn't want to be there at all and just wanted to get it done and leave.

All of my friends who are new to Star Wars cringed hard at that scene. "WHAT?! THAT is how Obi Wan goes out after his epic fight with Anakin in the previous movie??".

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It works better if you just think of it as Darth Vader and Obi-Wan having a nice long catch up chat while swinging a lightsaber every minute or two.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is why you watch the movies in release order. The fight works better as a memory by the time you get to ep.3.

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't watched A New Hope since I was a kid and I was transfixed watching that clip. I love the mood, the way it is shot, how it goes unscored until the climax. It's like a tiny story. Really good!

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Their words tell a better story than flippy sword fighting shit.

Also, its an old man and a disabled half robot dude. Not sure why you expect better. As far as being strong, the force is much more than lightsabers and triple moonsault jumps.

Last edited:

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
ERA can be so condescending sometimes. So because he doesn't like this scene then he must be a kid and not know how to watch Star Wars? Get over yourselves really.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
oh really? why's that?
That Harakiri scene is vastly closer to what's in the ANH fight than the RotS fight. A general lack of music until the climax of the fight. Slow deliberate moves, where the fighters spend more time testing each other than actually striking at each other. Human error causing them to flub a few moves (both the characters and the actors themselves). The fighters playing mind games with each other and staring each other down. Not really moving terribly much once they get to the fight location.

Compare that to a loud bombastic fight with screetching melodramatic music, very drawn out trade of blows where the fighters basically keep rapidly throwing out flashy moves that otherwise mean very little, all while jumping around an exploding lava set piece straight from a video game of that era.

Oct 28, 2017
Still classic. Still iconic. Still one of the best moments in all SW. The choreography might age but the meaning and dramatic essence behind the scene won't. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

OP
OP
MillionIII

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
That Harakiri scene is vastly closer to what's in the ANH fight than the RotS fight. A general lack of music until the climax of the fight. Slow deliberate moves, where the fighters spend more time testing each other than actually striking at each other. Human error causing them to flub a few moves (both the characters and the actors themselves). The fighters playing mind games with each other and staring each other down. Not really moving terribly much once they get to the fight location.

Compare that to a loud bombastic fight with screetching melodramatic music, very drawn out trade of blows where the fighters basically keep rapidly throwing out flashy moves that otherwise mean very little, all while jumping around an exploding lava set piece straight from a video game of that era.
I like both this style and the prequel's style, the one in ANH is just an old actor flopping his stick at another dude. He clearly didn't train for this scene and it shows.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is displays the incredible tactical insight of Vader by fighting Obi Wan in a place where he was unable to obtain the high ground. When Luke obtained the high ground against him in ROTJ he immediately recognized this maneuver and remarked that Obi Wan had taught him well.
Lol this is my new head canon.

I actually LOVE LOVVVVVEEEEE Guinness's Obi-Wan, everything he does in the OT is amazing.

When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the master!

Only a master of evil!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, it was fucking stupid and the dialog was terrible. "Only a Master of Evil, Darth".

You could tell that Sir Alex Guinness didn't want to be there at all and just wanted to get it done and leave.

All of my friends who are new to Star Wars cringed hard at that scene. "WHAT?! THAT is how Obi Wan goes out after his epic fight with Anakin in the previous movie??".

why did they watch the movies in the wrong order tho?

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I only watched the old Star Wars movies recently and this was still a powerful moment to me.
Flashy coreography is not everything.