• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 8, 2018
A shame, but we all knew this was coming when NBC announced their streaming service a bit ago. I'll probably just look into buying the Complete Series on DVD soon since I enjoy the show. Sucks that the Complete Series bundle isn't available on Blu-ray.

Oct 27, 2017
This is fine with me as long as they all stay month to month on subscription plans.

I'll just rotate every 3-6 months depending on how it looks.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
When Netflix loses The Office in 2021 y'all will have to find a new show to put on in the background while you pretend to work so may I recommend TIDYING UP WITH MARIE KONDO

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
This streaming service shit is gonna hit a saturation point.

I have no issue with Netflix and Hulu, as they have a large variety of shows and films. But why the fuck would I sub to a service with ONLY NBC content, or ONLY CBS content?

You would think so, but there's literally a TV streaming service for horse and cowboy based content.

If there's an audience, it can exist.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Friends, will and grace and the fresh prince are listed under warnermedia.

Ah, thanks for the heads up! I hate trying to parse television ownership and would love to return to the blissful ignorance of thinking whoever airs it owns it.

That said, while I don't think Fresh Prince would be a fit for an NBC-owned platform, Friends (which is already announced) and Will & Grace fit perfectly, assuming that such a platform's main target audience will be similar to who has always watched NBC sitcoms - middle and upper class whites in their 20s and up.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't Steve Carell going to be in a Netflix series that was basically like The Office, but about Trumps "Space Force" administration? Or did I just dream that would happen?

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
Piracy is going to make a huge comeback over the next few years with all these streaming services. The market is already oversaturated. Like another poster said above, the market is going to be mostly pirates and friends sharing accounts soon.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The next step is for somebody to bundle these services together. Maybe by laying some sort of... wire infrastructure.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When The Offfice leaves this will mark the end of the Era of Netflix. They'll still be a power house for years to come and their content will still be fantastic but it's definitely the end of only having one or two cheap streaming options that pretty much gave you everything.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.. fuck this future where there are a hundred different streaming services for no reason. I'm not getting another one, no matter what they try.

The next step is for somebody to bundle these services together. Maybe by laying some sort of... wire infrastructure.

lol I know, right..

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Every once in awhile this and other shows go on sale for like $30 for the whole series on itunes. Might be worth it to just buy all of them.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
Soon some company will bundle all these streaming services together and sell them as a package to people.
Cable all over again.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna finish the full series by that time then.

Until Netflix or Hulu put a price on the Office so good that NBCUniversal/Comcast is willing to sabotage their own service.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
NBC owns the rights to -

Friends
The Office
Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Seinfeld (not wholly owned, but they'll pony up for it)
Cheers
Frasier
Will & Grace
The Golden Girls
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

They could also probably haggle for Community (Sony-owned) and 3rd Rock from the Sun. Scrubs is owned by Disney and I highly doubt NBC wants to touch the lightning rod that is anything to do with Cosby, though.

But those are just the most notable comedies. I don't think it's going to be a standard-bearer for anyone, but an NBC owned streaming platform would definitely yank in some people on the strength of their sitcoms, especially for those of us who grew up watching them. Frasier is my go-to background show currently.

I... love all of these shows besides 30 Rock. All of them are in regular rotation on my streaming services. I'd have to get NBC Stream or whatever the fuck, I think. Honestly, I can't even think of another comedy I stream besides Always Sunny.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017

Okay. I guess no one else is willing to pay that much.

In comparison, Netflix pay 100 million for Friends for an year.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ah, thanks for the heads up! I hate trying to parse television ownership and would love to return to the blissful ignorance of thinking whoever airs it owns it.

That said, while I don't think Fresh Prince would be a fit for an NBC-owned platform, Friends (which is already announced) and Will & Grace fit perfectly, assuming that such a platform's main target audience will be similar to who has always watched NBC sitcoms - middle and upper class whites in their 20s and up.

Yeah it's crazy. WB has some solid shows through lot of the networks. ER, West Wing, vampire diaries, supernatural, night court, Alf, full house, Murphy brown, queer as folk, the OC, shameless, cold case, without a trace, 2 and half men, chuck, the Big Bang theory, the mentalist.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Still, I feel like the market will get too crowded eventually and most of these services will fail.

I could actually see something like that cowboy movie platform living past some others. The real niche streamers, think of something like Shudder, cater to small but enthusiastic audiences. Individual network streaming, meanwhile, doesn't have as much of an identity even if their prospective audiences are larger.

They golden geese of streaming are those that have enthusiast audiences paired with mainstream brand identities. Disney+ is gonna make more money than anything, and I'd imagine in the game realm a Nintendo streaming service would surprise a lot of people (yes, it would be behind the times; no, that probably wouldn't harm it much).

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
we all knew this was coming

it's gonna be crazy to look back at netflix in 10 years and think "you mean EVERYONE'S content was all available in one place?"

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017

Okay. I guess no one else is willing to pay that much.

In comparison, Netflix pay 100 million for Friends for an year.

A very important point, if there are many partners involved in receiving the syndication money(like the actors) the studios can't lowball them. Fox tried to do that with X-files and Bones, got sued by the actors and lost in the courts. The studios have to pay the market value for the shows if they want them in their streaming services.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
If people really just watch a couple of these shows, they really should just buy the tv show digitally or on blu ray rather than sign up for another streaming service.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Oh monkey paw, please allow me to only pay for the channels and shows I want, end the cable nightmare!"

twb81ram6al11.gif

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I've been holding off buying the seasons to own because I never really felt I needed to. It's now time.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this service is widely available in Canada.

I'm not signing up for more shit you twats.

Really, all this fracturing of content between all these fucking services.

I wonder if this drives more people to piracy?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
NBC owns the rights to -

Friends
The Office
Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Seinfeld (not wholly owned, but they'll pony up for it)
Cheers
Frasier
Will & Grace
The Golden Girls
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

They could also probably haggle for Community (Sony-owned) and 3rd Rock from the Sun. Scrubs is owned by Disney and I highly doubt NBC wants to touch the lightning rod that is anything to do with Cosby, though.

But those are just the most notable comedies. I don't think it's going to be a standard-bearer for anyone, but an NBC owned streaming platform would definitely yank in some people on the strength of their sitcoms, especially for those of us who grew up watching them. Frasier is my go-to background show currently.
Yeah, that's not a bad line up, but Friends. The Office, and Seinfeld definitely do the heavy lifting

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like many of these future streaming companies will fail. Failure being unable to reach the revenue of their streaming service in comparison to what netflix/hulu/amazon would have offered for streaming their content.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's fascinating to me how people no longer want ala carte after begging for it for so long...

Jan 29, 2018
Meh. I'm already rotating services every couple of months. It takes ten seconds to suspend one and restart another, and it actually keeps things kinda fresh.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Wasn't Steve Carell going to be in a Netflix series that was basically like The Office, but about Trumps "Space Force" administration? Or did I just dream that would happen?
Yep. Netflix realized that it needs an equivalent of The Office that it owns. I'm not sure if Space Force will age as well as The Office because of the more timely premise, though.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess that's it for me and Netflix then. Not even joking, Star Trek and The Office is probably 80% of what I watch on there.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Welp, good thing I binged on Parks in Recreation the previous winter and have no interest in The Office or Friends.

With that said, I'm not looking forward with where the future of streaming sites is heading.

Along with those cancelled Syfy shows
And the good stuff still gets cancelled with no chance of survival.

...wait. Aw shit. I'll need to hurry up and catch up on Superstore.