• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
I want to get a job in programming. I have been learning on and off for almost 7-8 years now.

I have done tons of basic courses in college/youtube/udemy in C++, Java, Python, GML, postgreSQL, and currently working on JavaScript.

I was hoping I'd find work knowing SQL queries, but no such luck.
So I moved on to work on learning JavaScript, and I hope to have an app and maybe a website to show off by the end of it.

I really don't know what I should be doing. I am already planning ahead and looking at angular or node.js courses but I'd like to find work within the next few months. That and I need to figure out what GitHub is because that's mentioned everywhere.

I am both directionless and feeling like I am missing some crucial steps to entering the profession.

Any advice? Thanks

Hi friend,

I began pivoting my career to software engineering about a year ago having no prior knowledge. I just landed my first full time gig after working hard to get up to speed/build a sought-after skillset.

JavaScript is a safe bet for you to land a front end job. Angular is an ok idea, but I would say React is the way to go.

I am likely biased as I am a React Native engineer which basically means I use my knowledge of React to build iOS and Android apps.

Github is a form of version control and project management. It makes it easy for project management among multiple people because each person can work on a different part of the project without interfering with another person's code as long as they're working on different files. It also makes it easier to test thing out by creating what are called branches. You keep seeing this brought up because practically everyone uses it for a multitude of things.

Github also serves as a coding portfolio for a lot of people. Unless you pay for github's privacy subscription, repositories are public, meaning anyone can see your code. For recruiters it's how they can tell if you right good code. Or they may give you a coding challenge, want you to make a pull request of your version to their github repository and then they can download it and see how you did.

Basically, github is awesome.

Personally, I went to one of the top coding bootcamps in NYC. It set up a great foundation for me. If you have any interest in learning more about them, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Does anyone know if Polygon is changing up their video content strategy? A lot of different series have wrapped up or had recent "season" finales.

I know Monster Factory and Griffin's Amiibo Corner finished when Griffin and Justin left. But was also SEO Play, Video Game Theater, Awful Squad, Game Ogre, Brand Slam. Haven't had a Let's Play Jackbox video in a bit. I never got on the Gill & Gilbert train (need to check it out), but that also had a season finale.

Not that I expected these to go on forever, but there seems to be a lull in these types of videos. Most of their recent content's been relatively short news or explainer videos. (I'd ask this at Polygon, but their forums are pretty much nonexistent. I guess their community lives elsewhere.)
I have no idea, but it's been making me sad. That used to be some of my favorite content, but I'll admit a fair amount of that had to do with the good good McElroy boys.

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
My brother is trying to sign up to Era. He's using a Century Link email which is a paid ISP. He's pressed the resend confirmation button twice and hasn't received any emails yet.

Is Century Link not recognized on here to sign up even though it's a paid email or does the registration process and email just take a while to come over?

Also it's not in his spam box neither.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My brother is trying to sign up to Era. He's using a Century Link email which is a paid ISP. He's pressed the resend confirmation button twice and hasn't received any emails yet.

Is Century Link not recognized on here to sign up even though it's a paid email or does the registration process and email just take a while to come over?

Also it's not in his spam box neither.
PM cerium with your bro's email address and username, he'll help.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any reason why TVs have a zoom in option? Like why would anyone want to watch anything with part of the image cut off?

Even the Netflix app, at least on my ipad, has this option too.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Is there any reason why TVs have a zoom in option? Like why would anyone want to watch anything with part of the image cut off?

Even the Netflix app, at least on my ipad, has this option too.
Old content that has a low resolution might show up using only a small portion of the screen. Some people will rather stretch a bad quality image in order to get a larger picture.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I have a question that bugs me at work, for the computer savvy people.

What's the difference between a .bat and a .exe file? We have an Unreal project at work and we tend to use a bat file so we can load an exe file with extra launch options such as special resolutions and god mode etc.

Now, recently the non-devs have gotten the idea that maybe we should start the project directly from the exe instead of the bat file "to avoid introducing any bugs". That sounds odd to me since there seems to be no difference between the bat file and a shortcut file with launch options added in the properties, which is fine to do. Seems to me like our bat file is a glorified Windows shortcut.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
What's the cheapest legit way to get a license or whatever for Windows 10? I've got Win10 running in Parallels on my Macbook but it's unregistered/un-activated. I'm still (sort of) a student but my school doesn't offer discounts on Windows.

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
What's the cheapest legit way to get a license or whatever for Windows 10? I've got Win10 running in Parallels on my Macbook but it's unregistered/un-activated. I'm still (sort of) a student but my school doesn't offer discounts on Windows.
I've never had any problems buying from s5ean on r/microsoftwareswap

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
couldn't find a tattoo thread (i'm guessing i'm just not looking hard enough!) and reddit seems the wrong place to ask therefor -

Jesus-tattoo-5.jpg

anyone have any idea if the hand pose on the left has a name at all? i'm trying to find more reference images of it for a design of my own but just can't figure out what it's called.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Hi friend,

I began pivoting my career to software engineering about a year ago having no prior knowledge. I just landed my first full time gig after working hard to get up to speed/build a sought-after skillset.

JavaScript is a safe bet for you to land a front end job. Angular is an ok idea, but I would say React is the way to go.

I am likely biased as I am a React Native engineer which basically means I use my knowledge of React to build iOS and Android apps.

Github is a form of version control and project management. It makes it easy for project management among multiple people because each person can work on a different part of the project without interfering with another person's code as long as they're working on different files. It also makes it easier to test thing out by creating what are called branches. You keep seeing this brought up because practically everyone uses it for a multitude of things.

Github also serves as a coding portfolio for a lot of people. Unless you pay for github's privacy subscription, repositories are public, meaning anyone can see your code. For recruiters it's how they can tell if you right good code. Or they may give you a coding challenge, want you to make a pull request of your version to their github repository and then they can download it and see how you did.

Basically, github is awesome.

Personally, I went to one of the top coding bootcamps in NYC. It set up a great foundation for me. If you have any interest in learning more about them, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps

Hey Slixshot! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I really appreciate all that information (and the confidence boost).

I was actually looking into some boot camps last month. Revature was one I spoke with I believe? I may have to follow up with them.

Also, thank you so much for explaining Github. That makes so much more sense now.

Thanks again, and congrats on the new job!

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I just started selling on ebay for the first time and someone bid on one of my items but has not paid. It has been 5 days since they won the auction. I have contacted the buyer twice but am not getting a response. My question is, if I leave negative feedback for this person, can they just retaliate and leave negative feedback for me even though I didn't do anything wrong? I want to build up a good seller rep, and I'm afraid a negative review right off the bat will hurt my chances.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just started selling on ebay for the first time and someone bid on one of my items but has not paid. It has been 5 days since they won the auction. I have contacted the buyer twice but am not getting a response. My question is, if I leave negative feedback for this person, can they just retaliate and leave negative feedback for me even though I didn't do anything wrong? I want to build up a good seller rep, and I'm afraid a negative review right off the bat will hurt my chances.
You can't leave negative feedback so you are asking a null question.

Start the non-payment process and quit trying to communicate and set up your next auction to require instant payment if that's available in your country.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Slixshot! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I really appreciate all that information (and the confidence boost).

I was actually looking into some boot camps last month. Revature was one I spoke with I believe? I may have to follow up with them.

Also, thank you so much for explaining Github. That makes so much more sense now.

Thanks again, and congrats on the new job!

Of course, man. Happy to help out.

Regarding the bootcamps: I do recommend you do a ton of research before jumping into one. Because bootcamps are relatively new, employers either don't trust them, or only trust a select few. For instance, this course doesn't an appear to have any reviews which has me personally questioning its credibility.

https://www.coursereport.com/schools/revature#/reviews

It's an uphill battle without a college degree, but if you're willing to work hard, keep a positive attitude and make it happen, you can totally make the pivot!!!

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
What's the best method to rip/encode DVDs for playback in Plex? (Using FireTV Plex app; can also do PS4 or Xbox One app.)

I've ripped some of my collection already with MakeMKV, but they're interlaced and Plex does a lousy job deinterlacing on the fly. I want something approaching quality of what these discs look like in my standalone DVD player. I'm assuming I should re-encode and deinterlace with Handbrake, but there's a million different guides and settings out there. I've got a Coffee Lake i7, so hardware shouldn't be a problem.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
I have an old nespresso machine I hand't used in a while. My ocd didn't feel good about just washing it in the sink so I boiled some water to pour into the plastic water tank (picture). It felt like it was frozen because the plastic starting lightly cracking and popping. I must've let the boiling water sit in it for a minute before I tossed it out and started panicking about bpas and cancer

After some more cleaning and testing it, the hot water coming out of the machine doesn't smell or taste like plastic. The container didn't crack or warp either. tldr; am i going to die; should i throw away

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Can pets be racist? Like...actually racist? Or are they just exhibiting behavior we perceive as racist?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to setup a child account on my PlayStation for my daughter to use.

The first step after asking for her name and birthday is to verify with a fifty cent charge. It then asks me to input a credit card number. After doing so it errors out saying that payment already exists. No shit. I already have that payment info saved. Why doesn't it let me use the already existing credit card info on my account?

tsakiki

Oct 27, 2017
Can pets be racist? Like...actually racist? Or are they just exhibiting behavior we perceive as racist?
I don't know about racist, but they certainly can trigger off physical appearance. My sister had a dog that would freak out at men of a certain build with longer hair. He was a rescue dog that had been beaten, and we surmise his reaction was to men who reminded him of his abuser.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Gaming related question..

I wanted to bring up a clip to show a friend the other week, but I had no idea what the game is or how to search it. I remember having a good laugh at it.

Here's what I remember:

I think it's a ps3 or 360 game.. Seems to be Japanese developed. Has a cool looking but goofy anime styled protagonist. Probably similar to devil may cry in character design style. I think he's having a serious conversation with an attractive woman, maybe a client? Then I think it goes into his own mind, and he's doing a silly dance or scatting or something, as if he's horny and having a silly reaction to this woman.. I'm not sure. Then there's some kind of joke about fruit and the size of the woman's breasts, and maybe another character, a female character with smaller breasts admonishes him because she knows what he's thinking and he says something to the effect of this other girl's bust being closer to 'grapes' in size.

Does that ring any bells for anyone?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

I wanted to bring up a clip to show a friend the other week, but I had no idea what the game is or how to search it. I remember having a good laugh at it.

Here's what I remember:

I think it's a ps3 or 360 game.. Seems to be Japanese developed. Has a cool looking but goofy anime styled protagonist. Probably similar to devil may cry in character design style. I think he's having a serious conversation with an attractive woman, maybe a client? Then I think it goes into his own mind, and he's doing a silly dance or scatting or something, as if he's horny and having a silly reaction to this woman.. I'm not sure. Then there's some kind of joke about fruit and the size of the woman's breasts, and maybe another character, a female character with smaller breasts admonishes him because she knows what he's thinking and he says something to the effect of this other girl's bust being closer to 'grapes' in size.

Could be Killer Is Dead? It's got some weird dating sections/mini-games.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the best place to watch the Zatoichi movies? Or maybe a better question is is there a streaming service that has all of the Zatoichi movies?

Hulu used to be the place because they had the entire Toho catalog which is effectively the Japanese movie monopoly and every year I'd sign up for three free months, binge and peace out. But this time I tried and they appeared to be gone (I assume licensing). And as the other guy said, Filmstruck is toast but that ought to mean that license is up for negotiations soon?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

Here's what I remember:

Resonance of Fate?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the best/cheapest option for buying xylitol-based gum (no aspartame) in the US, whether online or brick & mortar?

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I have no idea why this just popped into my head, but there is a scene in a relatively recent movie where two young adult guy characters are talking/arguing. One screwed something up and the other more aggressive one goes "YOU DUMB FUCK, YOU'RE A DUMB FUCK"

Any ideas? I really can't even place any other story or character elements.

V23

Oct 27, 2017