• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Lately, the mobile games I've been playing have bloated themselves so much that I have to uninstall one of them to make room for another to update even though I only have two of them on my tablet (a Galaxy Tab 4 with 8gb of memory where of course half the memory is taken up by the OS and the preinstalled apps that I can't fully remove). The larger of the two resists moving to external storage, so that isn't an option.

Basically, I'm hoping to find a good 7-8 inch (7 inch preferred) android tablet with at least 16gb of internal memory (more would be preferable) that's under 200 dollars. Any recommendations?

Sorithin

Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland
Anyone got a surefire way to get rid of hiccups? I feel like whenever I have that problem and Google it, whatever is recommended doesn't work for me.

EDIT: Got some good answers but if you have one don't hesitate.

A little late, but this is the only thing that has ever actually 100% worked for me.

Get a glass of water. Bend over so that your head is basically at the height of your knees. Drink the water (it'll be awkward)!

Being upside down and drinking water has always worked instantly for me.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda stupid but:

If our bodies have a temperature of 98.6 degrees (Fahrenheit), why do we find temperature that high uncomfortable?
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ees_so_why_is_98_6_degree_air_unbearable.html
Because our bodies need to disperse heat, and they can't do that effectively when the air temperature is close to our body temperature. Our muscles and metabolism generate heat continuously. We transfer that heat into our surroundings by sweating, exhaling warm air, and circulating blood near the surface of our skin to cool. When the temperature gradient (or difference) between the body and the air is high, heat flows easily from us into the environment, and we cool down. But when the weather hovers around our internal temperature, our inner swelter lingers, and we feel hot and uncomfortable. Humidity makes things worse by interfering with the vaporization of sweat, one of the human body's main cooling mechanisms.

M-66

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got some recommendations for indoor slippers? Think those you often see in anime. With rubber soles too so that I don't get shocked every time I have to touch something lol.

Dunno that they're particularly Japanese in style, but Glerups makes (made?) a felt slipper/shoe with a black rubber treadless sole. Comfy a.f. if you're into bootie style slippers.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Do certain types of food burn your mouth easier than others? I know I've been at japanese steakhouses/kbbq, and can generally pick beef off the grill right into my mouth without burning. But certain things..pasta sauce and other things tend to burn my mouth. Is it a matter of absorption of heat?

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
Do certain types of food burn your mouth easier than others? I know I've been at japanese steakhouses/kbbq, and can generally pick beef off the grill right into my mouth without burning. But certain things..pasta sauce and other things tend to burn my mouth. Is it a matter of absorption of heat?
This is related to specific heat (how much energy required to make something a specific temperature), I'm not sure about whatever meat or sauces you're eating specifically, but water has a very high specific heat so any liquid that is mostly water (like tea or coffee) has a lot more energy in it than other things despite being the same temperature.

This is why I can taste little samples of what I'm making out of a pan just fine, but I absolutely cannot drink hot coffee. It's not about the difference in temperature it's the difference in thermal energy that drives the rate of heat transfer. At least from a practical standpoint that's how you can think of it Thermo was a while ago for me and I hated that class anyway.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
This is related to specific heat (how much energy required to make something a specific temperature), I'm not sure about whatever meat or sauces you're eating specifically, but water has a very high specific heat so any liquid that is mostly water (like tea or coffee) has a lot more energy in it than other things despite being the same temperature.

This is why I can taste little samples of what I'm making out of a pan just fine, but I absolutely cannot drink hot coffee. It's not about the difference in temperature it's the difference in thermal energy that drives the rate of heat transfer. At least from a practical standpoint that's how you can think of it Thermo was a while ago for me and I hated that class anyway.

This was great. You settled a work argument, thanks!

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
This was great. You settled a work argument, thanks!
No problem!
I'm assuming your work mates remembered equations from high school that used temperature and not energy, but those equations assume you're transferring heat from one substance to the same substance (if the specific heats are the same for both they cancel out). I want to add (even though I hated thermo I'll feel stupid if someone corrects me later) that thermal conductivity matters just as much as temperature differential. Air has a low thermal conductivity so you can stick your hand in a 300 degree oven and as long as you don't leave it there you'll be fine. If however you touch a 300 degree piece of metal you'll know right away (any metal has a very high thermal conductivity 100s if not 1000s of times higher than air).

I have no clue what the thermal conductivity or specific heats for food are, but you get the idea. A light an airy pastry would have lots of air and theoretically wouldn't transfer heat as quickly as something denser; a lot of the water that is in most foods (meat/veggies) gets evaporated out during the cooking process so they would also transfer heat less quickly than a watery sauce (although if your sauce is watery then that's a sad sauce, but I digress).

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I'm looking to get a crash course in the basics of Python. Already know other languages, so maybe not something that is intended for IT-foreign people. Anyone got any recommendations?

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking to get a crash course in the basics of Python. Already know other languages, so maybe not something that is intended for IT-foreign people. Anyone got any recommendations?
The horribly spelled Codecademy has a good tutorial for Python.

Free Code Camp is also pretty good for coding in general.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a decent but not expensive microscope. Ideally something that can attach physically or digitally to an iPhone/ipad, or USB to a laptop is ok too.

Want to be able to take a closer look at my mini museum samples. Most are set in plastic so can't get closer than around half an inch? In case focusing distance might be an issue.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I would also guess that surface area and contact time impact this. Something like beef will only be touching parts of your mouth at a time so won't transfer as much heat to your skin. Pasta sauce will contact more surface area and transfer heat more quickly across more of your mouth.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So on discord on my pc it says I need to do the 2 step verification on my phone, but I got a new phone and it needs a two step verification from google authentication, but I never wrote down the number the previous authentication gave me. Am I fucked?

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
So I bought these really nice black pants at Banana Republic, fit amazingly and look really good. I don't need them for work a whole lot, but when I need them, I NEED them

Anyway, I notice they attract an insane amount of hair/dust/whatever. I literally used a lint roller this morning, one sheet on each side of each pant leg (that's 4 sticky strips) and they were covered in hair less than 4 minutes later when I left the house. It's bad, like extremely noticeable bad. Any tips to bring down the cling?
This is a late reply, but have you tried rubbing a dryer sheet over your pants after you lint rolled? They usually take away static pretty well.

xania

Oct 27, 2017
How does multi-quote work/what do the +quote and +reply buttons do? No matter if I +quote multiple posts and just hit reply on one, +quote and reply on every post, just reply to each post... the reply box always empties and pastes in the new quote. So how do they work?

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio, USA
How does multi-quote work/what do the +quote and +reply buttons do? No matter if I +quote multiple posts and just hit reply on one, +quote and reply on every post, just reply to each post... the reply box always empties and pastes in the new quote. So how do they work?

After you got the +quote on any posts your want, there will be a "insert quotes" option added to the quick reply box at the bottom of the page (on the left in desktop under your avatar, on the right on mobile next to more options). Clicking that will give you the option to review which quotes you want to use.

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
codecademy will give you a 'tour' of the language and will let you try it in an online compiler. you'll get to level of 'build a hangman game' or so.

after that people swear by 'automate the boring stuff'

go looking for the python 'koans' as well. the ruby ones are outstanding.

codewars.com is a great way to practice with tangible problems

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it racist if I buy the brown ones? I'm not black.

NSFW maybe.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

NR1

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas, TX
yL8Ck6A.jpg

WADKPY2.jpg

What is with the square notches in the side of European blu-ray cases? Even the cardboard slip cases have a square hole cut out to expose these notches on the case... what are they for??? Also, why are European blu-ray cases thicker than American cases? They are generally twice as thick as their American counterparts.

AJ-47

Dec 16, 2017
yL8Ck6A.jpg

WADKPY2.jpg

What is with the square notches in the side of European blu-ray cases? Even the cardboard slip cases have a square hole cut out to expose these notches on the case... what are they for??? Also, why are European blu-ray cases thicker than American cases? They are generally twice as thick as their American counterparts.

They are holes for security tags to slot into that are meant to damage the disc if not removed correctly.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I lost an HDMI cable and I need to buy a new one, does the brand or type matter at all?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Here goes:
If you are in an astronaut suit, would you eventually cook to death?
My thinking is that the suit is designed to keep your heat from rapidly radiating out due to the environment in space. And since it effectively traps your body heat in the suit (and your body is continuously generating heat), would the heat within the suit gradually increase in temperature until it is like baking in an oven?

So I've been asking my friends this too, and they said that you would eventually reach an equilibrium where the temperature in the suit would not increase. But I am having a hard time reconciling this as there is no exhaust and your body would not stop radiating heat.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
So, I have a dumb question that I can't help but wonder about from time to time:

I remember reading about how 3500 calories or so equals a pound of weight. Does that mean that even if you ate something that physically weighed half a pound - but had 3500 calories - you would still gain a pound of weight? And if so, how does that work? Where would that extra half a pound manifest from? In other words, is it possible for you to gain more weight than the weight of the food you ingested within a given time period?

Is it racist if I buy the brown ones? I'm not black.

NSFW maybe.

I don't speak for all black people, but for me it would depend on why you chose the brown option. If you chose it because the other ones were out of stock, then I wouldn't have an issue with it. But if you chose because "lol it's funny to say I have black balls," then I think I might see it as racist, or at least make me question your character.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, I have a dumb question that I can't help but wonder about from time to time:

I remember reading about how 3500 calories or so equals a pound of weight. Does that mean that even if you ate something that physically weighed half a pound - but had 3500 calories - you would still gain a pound of weight? And if so, how does that work? Where would that extra half a pound manifest from? In other words, is it possible for you to gain more weight than the weight of the food you ingested within a given time period?
You seem to be thinking a calorie is a measure of weight, based on this comparison. A calorie is a measure of heat energy.

When dropping the value of 3500 heat energy units from one's diet, the effect on body composition could be to lose approximately one pound of body weight (on average). When eating 3500 heat energy units above one's energy output, the body will tend to store that energy, which for long term storage manifests as adipose tissue (fat).

A pound of food does not directly translate into a pound of flesh. Some foods don't readily absorb and instead pass through the body fairly intact (fiber).

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
When eating 3500 heat energy units above one's energy output, the body will tend to store that energy, which for long term storage manifests as adipose tissue (fat).

If I ate a 3500 calorie meal but then nothing else, would I still gain a pound of weight over time, though? I guess I'm just wondering how a pound of anything can spring forth from a situation where less than a pound of something is ingested. I understand it's energy and that just because you eat a 3 pound meal doesn't mean you'll gain 3 pounds, but I guess it's hard for me to wrap my head around a measurable weight manifesting from something that's less than that (again, speaking purely hypothetically and trying not to take into account the fact that people would still be imbibing other meals and whatnot).

Like, I know that if I take a 1 pound rock and do anything to it, there'll still be 1 pound of rock regardless of if I need to include the dust that's now in the air from smashing it, or whatever soot I get from blasting it with water. Is this the same with food and calories? In a vacuum, can .5 pounds of 3500 calorie food still cause me to gain 1 pound of fat?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
In the first few seconds of this video there's an animation and music. There's a dude made of stars. I feel it's strangely familiar.

I figure it's from some 70's variety or music show, but I don't know. Does anyone know what the man of stars is from?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If I ate a 3500 calorie meal but then nothing else, would I still gain a pound of weight over time, though? I guess I'm just wondering how a pound of anything can spring forth from a situation where less than a pound of something is ingested. I understand it's energy and that just because you eat a 3 pound meal doesn't mean you'll gain 3 pounds, but I guess it's hard for me to wrap my head around a measurable weight manifesting from something that's less than that (again, speaking purely hypothetically and trying not to take into account the fact that people would still be imbibing other meals and whatnot).

Like, I know that if I take a 1 pound rock and do anything to it, there'll still be 1 pound of rock regardless of if I need to include the dust that's now in the air from smashing it, or whatever soot I get from blasting it with water. Is this the same with food and calories? In a vacuum, can .5 pounds of 3500 calorie food still cause me to gain 1 pound of fat?

Well, the caloric value of food varies.
Fat has about 9 calories per gram.
Protein, alcohol, and carbs about 4 calories per gram.

This despite the fact that they're the same weight/mass.

(Excuse me if I'm slightly off on the numbers, this is straight from nutritional memory.)
If you eat 3500 calories in one meal, you have doubled the daily caloric resting needs for an average human of around 6 foot height and around 180 pounds sorry for imperial units. However, that is still only an EXCESS of somewhere from 1500-1800 calories, see? You used the rest in living and breathing even while sitting around. If you exercised a lot this day, it might not even be an excess.

But, if you spend the rest of the week at exact maintenance, and if the body reserves the entire excess in storage rather than letting some of it go through the evacuation process (both are variable and spoken of in averages for humans), then yes in that week you might vary your weight by .3 to .5 pound, although your actual weekly weight will vary more by water weight because there's a lot of systems interconnecting here.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So for a while now I've been trying to remember something that I watched a few years ago and it's frustrating me. I can't even remember if it was a pilot for a TV show that never took off, or a movie or a TV movie. Could be anything but I feel like I remember reading that there was supposed to be more of whatever it was but it never happened.
As for the specifics, I seem to remember the plot revolving around a group of people who got in a big ass room or something and I think time or dimension traveled. One of the places they went to was post-apocalyptic and I remember there being bandits and raiders and stuff. Then I remember some important man stepping out from an elevator coming down from the top of the tower the room was in and it was someone's dad. The thing I most vividly remember is at the very end, 3 versions of this one female character came out of nowhere and that was supposed to be some kind of stinger.
I really wish I remembered the details better, and this isn't important at all but it's been driving me nuts.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
In the first few seconds of this video there's an animation and music. There's a dude made of stars. I feel it's strangely familiar.

I figure it's from some 70's variety or music show, but I don't know. Does anyone know what the man of stars is from?

The Old Grey Whistle Test, a music show from the UK

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So whats the deal with Bendy and The Ink Machine or whatever its called. Like what's it about, what keeps people interested, why is it like the 30's Flecher shorts. Tell me all about it.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
What's the "good" brand for portable hard drives these days?

I think I heard something about Seagate HDDs becoming less crap (and the opposite about WD) about a year back but I've no idea if it's still the case.