• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Why isn't Elijah Wood getting better roles?

He isn't a bad actor. Why is he stuck making video-on-demand films?

I just watched a film on Netflix called The Trust, with him and Nicolas Cage. Not a bad film.

I know Cage owes money in back taxes. But what has Wood done?

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to cooking eggs, so I bought a cheap egg cooker, but something about it is really counter-intuitive. You basically just lay the eggs in a tray and pour water into the base which steams up and boils them. However, the measuring cup it came with seems to indicate that for hard boiling, you use LESS water to cook MORE eggs. The lines on the cup start at 7 on the low end of hard boiling, to 1 at the top. Is there some physics based reason for this or did I maybe get a misprinted measuring cup?

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to cooking eggs, so I bought a cheap egg cooker, but something about it is really counter-intuitive. You basically just lay the eggs in a tray and pour water into the base which steams up and boils them. However, the measuring cup it came with seems to indicate that for hard boiling, you use LESS water to cook MORE eggs. The lines on the cup start at 7 on the low end of hard boiling, to 1 at the top. Is there some physics based reason for this or did I maybe get a misprinted measuring cup?

I have never seen an egg cooker before, but if the size of the container doesnt change based on the amount of eggs going in would it take less water to cover them the more you put in since the eggs would take up more space?

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen an egg cooker before, but if the size of the container doesnt change based on the amount of eggs going in would it take less water to cover them the more you put in since the eggs would take up more space?
This is what I got: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2615218/hamilton-beach-egg-cooker.jsp?skuid=52909257&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=SMALL ELECTRICS&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=52909257&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196835012&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ai-q57i4QIVlovICh1DIwcMEAQYASABEgJhGvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The water doesn't actually cover the eggs, it just sits on the bottom and is boiled off for about 15 minutes (for as many eggs as I did). Once all the water's been evaporated, an alarm goes off to let you know to turn it off, so I imagine the amount of water recommended is how much is supposed to be necessary to steam boil that many eggs.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I got: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2615218/hamilton-beach-egg-cooker.jsp?skuid=52909257&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=SMALL ELECTRICS&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=52909257&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196835012&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ai-q57i4QIVlovICh1DIwcMEAQYASABEgJhGvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The water doesn't actually cover the eggs, it just sits on the bottom and is boiled off for about 15 minutes (for as many eggs as I did). Once all the water's been evaporated, an alarm goes off to let you know to turn it off, so I imagine the amount of water recommended is how much is supposed to be necessary to steam boil that many eggs.

Only guess is that it is the same concept but with the steam instead. Less eggs, means more empty space, which needs more steam to heat up. More eggs have less free space so less steam to heat?

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
One of my external HDDs that is hooked up to my Xbox One S, a WD 3TB My Passport Ultra, seems like it has started beeping? I know that is supposed to be bad but the beep doesn't sound like anything from any videos I watched of HDDs that have gone bad. My Xbox One S is set to Instant On and the setting for "Turn off External Storage when Xbox is off" is enabled. The HDD normally sits there silent and the light flashes every now and then while something is downloading.
I heard a beep this morning and got down to listen to what in my entertainment system was making the noise. I could hear the fans in the Xbox spin up and heard/felt (to the touch) the HDD spinning up like it was downloading an update. A few seconds after the HDD spun up there would be a single beep (not like a continuous chirp or a pattern of beeps like I've heard in videos of HDDs that are on their last leg) and then a little bit later it would wind back down. I powered up the Xbox and looked and sure enough it still recognizes the HDD and everything on it.

Is this HDD on its way out and should I think about replacing it?
It is a little over 3.5 years old at this point. It's been jumbled about a little bit in my carry-on luggage for international travel but has never been shaken or dropped. Right now I have unplugged the HDD, switched the Xbox over to Power Saving mode instead of Instant On, and then did a full power down of the Xbox, so as to not put strain on the HDD if it is about to die.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What time do you know for certain a package you ordered isn't coming today? At 5 am it had very cryptic update:
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in (Place about an hour away) on April 24, 2019 at 5:17 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

But another package I had, also by USPS, also today, never had any weird messages. It was "It's here. It left here. It is being sorted now. It is on truck." No "it's in transit." What's also ????? is that the delivery estimate is Monday. It's going to sit at a post office an hour away for Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat? WTF?

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A kid I know is doing a project about fire for school and is looking for movies where a character starts a fire using either sticks rubbing together or flint and tinder, that kind of thing. I guess context would usually be survival or camping or something.

Any ideas I can throw his way? Thanks for the help!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
A kid I know is doing a project about fire for school and is looking for movies where a character starts a fire using either sticks rubbing together or flint and tinder, that kind of thing. I guess context would usually be survival or camping or something.

Cast Away

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The movie Alpha has a bunch of scenes with that in it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4244998/

boi

Nov 1, 2017
What is the best way to stream my PS4 game to a different TV in the house with minimum input lag?

Can I do it with Chromecast of Firestick?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is the best way to stream my PS4 game to a different TV in the house with minimum input lag?

Can I do it with Chromecast of Firestick?

Sony's Remote Play app. It works (or used to) on the FireTV stick with some tweaks. It definitely works on a PC stick or Android TV device.

Alternatively, PS TV set top box.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
What time do you know for certain a package you ordered isn't coming today? At 5 am it had very cryptic update:
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in (Place about an hour away) on April 24, 2019 at 5:17 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

But another package I had, also by USPS, also today, never had any weird messages. It was "It's here. It left here. It is being sorted now. It is on truck." No "it's in transit." What's also ????? is that the delivery estimate is Monday. It's going to sit at a post office an hour away for Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat? WTF?

I think this might be just that one used a cheaper type of shipping that doesn't get as many tracking updates as the other.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
My pc is stuck on a loop of self repairing. Is there any option that doesn't require wiping everything out and starting over?

Oct 25, 2017
My pc is stuck on a loop of self repairing. Is there any option that doesn't require wiping everything out and starting over?
Win10? If automatic self repair is not working try doing it manually from bootable media.

Create bootable media in whatever form is most convenient with the media creation tool
Boot to it (may have to set it bootable in bios)
Instead of selecting "install now," click "Repair your computer" in the bottom left
Select Troubleshoot
Then Advanced Options
Select command prompt and run chkdsk /r
When that's done boot back into the same advanced troubleshooting options, click Startup Repair this time and let it do its thing.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to post this in the streetwear thread but rather than necro it:

Hey fellow young people, I've seen other young people wearing t-shirts/hoodies with what looks like a Nike swoosh (maybe broken in the middle?) on it but with Chinese characters next to the logo. What is this? Is it cool?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut

Hey fellow young people, I've seen other young people wearing t-shirts/hoodies with what looks like a Nike swoosh (maybe broken in the middle?) on it but with Chinese characters next to the logo. What is this? Is it cool?

Alright. So this probably won't be helpful for a couple of reasons. I like to consider myself young but I getting near damn near 30, and I've never seen anything like that with Nike. I do however see a lot of Adidas gear with Japanese characters and I do really like the style. I don't rock any of it but a couple of my friends do.
UFrnHmU.jpg

Perfect segue into I don't know how the fuck to use Reddit. I made a post and It doesn't show up. When I look my posts made its grayed out. I only ever made one other post and it just posted no problem. Do some subreddits need approval or some shit?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
OK, so, dumb question:

How do people smell so good? Like, I use deodorant. But I doubt I emit the smell of the deodorant. Some dudes smell so good whenever they pass by. I've tried perfumes but they are intoxicating. I cant stand the stench of perfumes. Is there something men use that isnt overbearing, yet somehow manages to be a pleasant smell? Is it just a deodorant or is it some kind of spray? I feel like I missed something, because my old spice is nowhere near as strong.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
OK, so, dumb question:

How do people smell so good? Like, I use deodorant. But I doubt I emit the smell of the deodorant. Some dudes smell so good whenever they pass by. I've tried perfumes but they are intoxicating. I cant stand the stench of perfumes. Is there something men use that isnt overbearing, yet somehow manages to be a pleasant smell? Is it just a deodorant or is it some kind of spray? I feel like I missed something, because my old spice is nowhere near as strong.
I think it's generally perfumes / aftershave when you smell it heavily on someone passing by. Some are fine and not too overbearing while still lasting for a large part of the day. I think it's something you're better off spending a bit more on as the cheaper brands hardly last 30 minutes I find. I try and have a good shower gel too which I think helps just as much, I think it's a mix of all 3 and clean smelling clothes.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
OK, so, dumb question:

The only thing I'd add to the above post is to ask how much time you have spent investigating perfumes? There are a good number of perfumes that aren't overpowering, but I also know that some people have a very acute sense of smell when it comes to them and even the lightest are too much for them.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
in The Hobbit (book) at the end did Bilbo end up getting his share? I know he didn't get the full amount because it couldn't be transported back to Under Hill. I also know Thorin forgave him but did not explicitly say he has his share back. Dane was saying something about it but I didn't fully understand. So did he CHOOSE to take that small portion or is that all he was allowed to take?

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY

blacktoykobgw_1024x1024.jpg

Cheap Etsy streetwear (frequently branded as "Air Tokyo") just begging to be hit with a cease and desist notice 🤔

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'd add to the above post is to ask how much time you have spent investigating perfumes? There are a good number of perfumes that aren't overpowering, but I also know that some people have a very acute sense of smell when it comes to them and even the lightest are too much for them.
truthfully, not much time. Ive never went and bought a certain perfume, yet somehow collected some from aunts and stuff. While clean clothes helps, it doesnt feel like what Im smelling

Presumably some kind of body wash or aftershave or something, but I dont really shave my face. Will look into some fragrances

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Cheap Etsy streetwear (frequently branded as "Air Tokyo") just begging to be hit with a cease and desist notice 🤔
But is it cool?

truthfully, not much time. Ive never went and bought a certain perfume, yet somehow collected some from aunts and stuff. While clean clothes helps, it doesnt feel like what Im smelling

Presumably some kind of body wash or aftershave or something, but I dont really shave my face. Will look into some fragrances
Really diff chemicals react diff depending on the person. You'll want to go and try them yourself before buying to make sure it reacts well. Don't buy online or wait for family's help on this.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I had no idea men's fragrance stuff was referred to as perfume. I don't wear anything but I always just though it was perfume for women and cologne for men. So I guess my question is I am completely wrong, correct?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
in The Hobbit (book) at the end did Bilbo end up getting his share? I know he didn't get the full amount because it couldn't be transported back to Under Hill. I also know Thorin forgave him but did not explicitly say he has his share back. Dane was saying something about it but I didn't fully understand. So did he CHOOSE to take that small portion or is that all he was allowed to take?
I think he took what he could transport, but if memory serves (it's been a while since I read it) he also got the treasure from the trolls on his way back.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hanging a 32 inch TV from 2007 or so on s TV cabinet that back then could do a TV up to 37 inches.

With TV bezels getting smaller, I guess I could get yo to 40 or 45 inches?

Are TVs still able to be mounted without buying anything extra?

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I had no idea men's fragrance stuff was referred to as perfume. I don't wear anything but I always just though it was perfume for women and cologne for men. So I guess my question is I am completely wrong, correct?
I (and actually most people where I am) call it aftershave mostly, just didn't want to confuse the other poster so I said perfume too but personally yeah perfume is a term I wouldn't use for men's.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
There was a tread on neogaf I believe where OP wanted to get recommendations for books without a beginning middle or end. Does anyone know which tread I mean and have a link for it?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I (and actually most people where I am) call it aftershave mostly, just didn't want to confuse the other poster so I said perfume too but personally yeah perfume is a term I wouldn't use for men's.

Aftershave is also common around here actually. I feel like mostly older people say cologne so thats probably where I'm getting it from. Thanks for the clarification.

I have a question about credit in the US. If there's a Credit Era or something can someone point me there? I searched a bunch and came up empty. If not heres my question.

I've got good credit, but I don't have much to show for that? Not sure If I'm making explaining it correctly. I'm looking to buy a house in the near future and was wondering how this will effect.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Aftershave is also common around here actually. I feel like mostly older people say cologne so thats probably where I'm getting it from. Thanks for the clarification.

I have a question about credit in the US. If there's a Credit Era or something can someone point me there? I searched a bunch and came up empty. If not heres my question.

I've got good credit, but I don't have much to show for that? Not sure If I'm making explaining it correctly. I'm looking to buy a house in the near future and was wondering how this will effect.

People here may be able to help, but you could also try the Mortgages thread - the OP states they're a Loan Officer, and from what I can gather is in the US.. :)

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
People here may be able to help, but you could also try the Mortgages thread - the OP states they're a Loan Officer, and from what I can gather is in the US.. :)

Appreciate it. Thats more what I was looking for.

Edit: Non important side question, but does anyone stream on Mixer or care about sparks on here. My buddy had me saving some for him but he's MIA.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I guess this could go in gaming side but I couldn't find a general question thread there.

So I bought Street Fighter 5 Arcade Edition. I see it is packed with content and there's tons of dlc, too.

What the hell is actually included? I'm stuck at work until tonight but are the Halloween costumes? Holiday? What about stages? If I want all available stages and the Halloween costumes, do I need to buy them separately?

Thanks.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a pressure washer to clean off the patio and other things outside, but the instructions indicate that I'm supposed to lubricate the O-rings in the various hose attachment points. I went out and bought a can of silicone lubricant spray. Am I supposed to physically remove the O-rings and cover them entirely in lubricant and put them back in, or is it enough to just spray their exposed sides inside their seating? (It's meant to prevent damage to them when I screw everything together.)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I guess this could go in gaming side but I couldn't find a general question thread there.

So I bought Street Fighter 5 Arcade Edition. I see it is packed with content and there's tons of dlc, too.

What the hell is actually included? I'm stuck at work until tonight but are the Halloween costumes? Holiday? What about stages? If I want all available stages and the Halloween costumes, do I need to buy them separately?

Thanks.
All that's included in the AE is the base game, and season 1 & 2 character passes.