• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I have a 21:9 monitor. Is there a way to get Windows to treat most of the screen as a normal 16:9 monitor and the extra screen space on the end as it's own separate monitor? I'd like to game in "fullscreen" 16:9 and have Discord open in the small vertical screen.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
i need to make an international (UK to USA) call for tech support, does anyone know of any free software/site that will allow me to do this? will only need to call one number, hopefully once, so would rather not call from my UK mobile.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
i need to make an international (UK to USA) call for tech support, does anyone know of any free software/site that will allow me to do this? will only need to call one number, hopefully once, so would rather not call from my UK mobile.
I believe Skype, Facebook Messenger, pretty much any free too download chat app just gotta make sure they download it too!

Whatsapp is another.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
it'll be phoning a standard CLI/support number first so don't think i'll be able to do that, at least not initially. team viewer's involved but i doubt i'll be able to call out from there, will i?
I think I saw a mic button when I was using it with a client yesterday. (US:UK) I will double check.

Edit* Ohh, crap yeah I don't think it can do that.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is there such a thing as warming up for computer parts? like can a graphics card immediately perform to full computational performance after a cold start compared to a card thats been running for a bit?

stupid question i know, but somehow this has been bugging me

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a house and there are no coax/Ethernet ports. Can I do this myself or is it best to just hire an electrician?

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Computer parts perform better the cooler they are.
well yeah, i don't think a melting cpu is able to do much computing at all. but core melting temperatures is not what i meant.

more like this scenario: lets say you press power on a computer and we skip all that windows start up bs and say that right after pressing the button the computer turns on instantly and has to do a full max load computation work. would the computer that starts from a cold start ( off -> on ) be able to reach max performance as quickly as a computer that is already running for a while and then has to do the full load computational task?

the difference in time would probably be negligible in realtime, just makes me curious

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a house and there are no coax/Ethernet ports. Can I do this myself or is it best to just hire an electrician?
Those are low voltage, not high voltage, and may or may not require a permit to meet code in your area.
But if you don't own green sticks for wall fishing, and have experience with stud finding, you may want to hire a pro.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
so I just bought a four wheeler, and I have no idea on anything to do with maintenance. I have been googling up a storm and can't figure out what oil or what coolant to buy for it.

So my question is, What coolant and what oil do I need to buy for my 1995 Polaris 400L, its 2 stroke where the oil reservoir is in the front of it, and gas is in the middle?

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching Game of Thrones for the first time on blu-ray, and I'm on season six. Can someone remind me who this character is...?

Who is the young lady that Bran is travelling with? At this point all his other travelling companions are gone except for her and she's using every ounce of her strenth to pull him along on a sled as they are being tracked by the undead, when they meet a mysterious protector. I can't remember if she's a relative or why she's so dedicated to Bran.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm watching Game of Thrones for the first time on blu-ray, and I'm on season six. Can someone remind me who this character is...?

Who is the young lady that Bran is travelling with? At this point all his other travelling companions are gone except for her and she's using every ounce of her strenth to pull him along on a sled as they are being tracked by the undead, when they meet a mysterious protector. I can't remember if she's a relative or why she's so dedicated to Bran.

Meera Reed. Her father served (and fought alongside) Ned Stark. Her brother was a greenseer who told Bran of his destiny.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Is Endless Shrimp at Red Lobster any good? I'm thinking about going for lunch today.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
Hi everyone I'm looking for a book from the Vampire: The Masquerade series.

I'm pretty sure it was set in Vancouver and that I know it was set in the Dark World universe. The cover had art that featured two abstract figures embracing/kissing but it was very abstract/impressionistic, you could just barely tell they were two humanoids and there weren't many solid outlines in their figures.

I've tried finding it w/ google, there are a couple books with people embracing but they were too realistic and definitely not the cover of the book I was reading.

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey hi,

Not sure this is the place to ask, but I've been a member since the site started, so shouldn't I be able to create new threads at this point?

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Anyone here has nosebleeds often? I've been having them ever since I can remember. Always from the left nostril but in the last 4-5 years I've been getting them in both nostrils.

How do you deal with it?

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Anyone here has nosebleeds often? I've been having them ever since I can remember. Always from the left nostril but in the last 4-5 years I've been getting them in both nostrils.

How do you deal with it?
I do, not even sure why. Sometimes I wake up and start bleeding. I purchased a nasal moisturizer but my nose is very sensitive to odors and I hate how sesame oil smells. It works though.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I do, not even sure why. Sometimes I wake up and start bleeding. I purchased a nasal moisturizer but my nose is very sensitive to odors and I hate how sesame oil smells. It works though.
Yeah I have been using a moisturizer too. It helps, but not always. My nose started bleeding in the middle of the night last night, it was quite the amount, like a drop every half a second. I usually stuff my nose with toilet paper and pull it out after it gets completely soaked. After repeating that for a few minutes it stops bleeding.

The worst is when I'm in a professional setting and it happens. Just kill me. Had it happen in exams, while driving, in parties, even at a funeral. It sucks.

teague

Dec 17, 2018

How do you deal with it?

I have nosebleeds all the time in the summer, right nostril only. I've gotten real good at doing the thing where you like roll up a tissue and stuff it up there so it's not super visible, but I have no idea how to make it stop.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I have nosebleeds all the time in the summer, right nostril only. I've gotten real good at doing the thing where you like roll up a tissue and stuff it up there so it's not super visible, but I have no idea how to make it stop.
I've heard you can cauterize the capillaries to prevent it from happening for a while but it's far from a solution. + the recovery doesn't seem too pleasant.

Good for you if you can stuff you nose and keep it that way. Mine overflows after 20s, ends up in my mouth or fucking dissolves the damn paper lol.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I've heard you can cauterize the capillaries to prevent it from happening for a while but it's far from a solution. + the recovery doesn't seem too pleasant.

Wow that sounds very painful, think I'll stick to always keeping my head tilted back like I'm snootily looking down on my coworkers

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Is it not possible to post GIF's using the iOS Imgr app? Every time I try Era gives me an error and says try again later. I figured you just copy the link like you would a picture right? And should I be using the insert pic option or the insert video option? I'm lame I know. Thanks in advance!

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Can anyone who is good at deciphering Bible language ELI5 what this verse specifically means?

Leviticus 27
"'If anyone makes a special vow to dedicate a person to the Lord by giving the equivalent value, 3 set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekels[a] of silver, according to the sanctuary shekel[b]; 4 for a female, set her value at thirty shekels[c]; 5 for a person between the ages of five and twenty, set the value of a male at twenty shekels[d] and of a female at ten shekels[e]; 6 for a person between one month and five years, set the value of a male at five shekels[f] of silver and that of a female at three shekels[g] of silver; 7 for a person sixty years old or more, set the value of a male at fifteen shekels[h] and of a female at ten shekels. 8 If anyone making the vow is too poor to pay the specified amount, the person being dedicated is to be presented to the priest, who will set the value according to what the one making the vow can afford."

So does a 20 year old man have to PAY 50 shekels to the "lord" as his form of dedication to him or does he receive 50 shekels in return for his dedication (of whatever kind) to the lord?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone who is good at deciphering Bible language ELI5 what this verse specifically means?

Leviticus 27
"'If anyone makes a special vow to dedicate a person to the Lord by giving the equivalent value, 3 set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekels[a] of silver, according to the sanctuary shekel[b]; 4 for a female, set her value at thirty shekels[c]; 5 for a person between the ages of five and twenty, set the value of a male at twenty shekels[d] and of a female at ten shekels[e]; 6 for a person between one month and five years, set the value of a male at five shekels[f] of silver and that of a female at three shekels[g] of silver; 7 for a person sixty years old or more, set the value of a male at fifteen shekels[h] and of a female at ten shekels. 8 If anyone making the vow is too poor to pay the specified amount, the person being dedicated is to be presented to the priest, who will set the value according to what the one making the vow can afford."

So does a 20 year old man have to PAY 50 shekels to the "lord" or does he receive 50 shekels in return for his dedication (of whatever kind) to the lord?

Money goes from the person being redeemed (or representative) to the priest.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Money goes from the person being redeemed (or representative) to the priest.

Thanks, that's how I understood it as well.

I'm writing a term paper on Gender Pay Gap and when I read the following piece of information in a scientific paper, I thought it meant that the Bible specifically dictated how men and women were to be paid.
"The first known gender gap estimate is biblical. Leviticus Chapter 27 pegs the monetary difference between prime-age male and female Israelite slaves at 40%."
So I was kind of confused when I read the actual Bible verse.

But I guess the author is implying that the reason women had to pay 40% less to the priest was because they were earning 40% less than their male counterparts.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, that's how I understood it as well.

I'm writing a term paper on Gender Pay Gap and when I read the following piece of information in a paper, I thought it meant that the Bible specifically dictated how men and women were to be paid.
"The first known gender gap estimate is biblical. Leviticus Chapter 27 pegs the monetary difference between prime-age male and female Israelite slaves at 40%."
So I was kind of confused when I read the actual Bible verse.

But I guess the author is implying that if women had to pay 40% less to the priest, that probably meant that they were earning 40% less than their male counterparts.

I think the author is referring to the price of buying/freeing a male slave vs a female slave.

To clarify, the quoted section is related to buying back (redeeming) someone/something offered/devoted to God (in practice, given to the priests).

Last edited:

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
I need to buy a webhosting. Nothing fancy just a wordpress for my personal portfolio. Any suggestions?

Also, Is godaddy ok for buying domains?

Thanks in advance.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
I need to buy a webhosting. Nothing fancy just a wordpress for my personal portfolio. Any suggestions?

Also, Is godaddy ok for buying domains?

Thanks in advance.
I am with GoDaddy for my web site (and domains) and I will switch to another when it's due to renew. GoDaddy does not give you security certification for free (most providers do) and they charge a lot for security certificate. I mean it's not that hard to do certification, I found out how to do it for free manually (just a pain in a butt to do every 3 month). There is no reason that they don't do it for free.
Otherwise they are ok.
I do think there are better providers out there than GoDaddy.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Need help finding a web comic that I think I saw here and twitter but couldn't remember the name of it. It's about a bunch of monsters and the first few comics are about a skeleton type guy getting stabbed by a warrior but because the warrior isn't a virgin he cant kill the monster.

It's a lot funnier than I made it sound

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Question for those of you working in infosec: which job would you say is less stressful--pentesting or analyst?

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
I am with GoDaddy for my web site (and domains) and I will switch to another when it's due to renew. GoDaddy does not give you security certification for free (most providers do) and they charge a lot for security certificate. I mean it's not that hard to do certification, I found out how to do it for free manually (just a pain in a butt to do every 3 month). There is no reason that they don't do it for free.
Otherwise they are ok.
I do think there are better providers out there than GoDaddy.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to search alternatives.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
In what Idle Thumbs/Important if True podcast episode did the "good...bye. thanks for stoppping... by" bit originate?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Much of my practical math skills are gone (it's a wonder I can still code) so I have a minor probability question.

You spin a wheel with 100 equal sections and you need to land on one of six sections. So 6/100 or 3/50. You can spin the wheel 10 times. What's the probability you land on one of the six sections at least once in those 10 spins? Is it still 6%? After that, how do you calculate for at least twice? At least three times? etc

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Much of my practical math skills are gone (it's a wonder I can still code) so I have a minor probability question.

You spin a wheel with 100 equal sections and you need to land on one of six sections. So 6/100 or 3/50. You can spin the wheel 10 times. What's the probability you land on one of the six sections at least once in those 10 spins? Is it still 6%?

100% - 94%^10 ~= 46%

For the others, you'll want to start using combinatorials.

Last edited:

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wow that sounds very painful, think I'll stick to always keeping my head tilted back like I'm snootily looking down on my coworkers
That doesn't really help. Also if it's really bleeding and you start swallowing blood you can start puking it back up. Which is what happened when I was like 8 and freaked my mom out.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that on Instagram seemingly real accounts post one letter comments on big "influencer" pages? Like, I get the influencers want social engagement with comments within the first hour to play Instagram's algorithms, but why are their followers doing that work for them?

For example, there will be one account who posts like ten times in a row "P I Z Z A" but each letter is a separate comment. Like, what?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does A Handmaid's Tale get better after season 1? Not trying to be inflammatory, I know its popular, it just hasn't really clicked with me after the first 10 episodes. I think I just can't get past finding the entire premise unbelievable, and while I'd like to accept it and settle in to the rest of the drama I'm constantly reminded of how I don't buy the scenario I suppose.

Weirdly it just makes me want to watch The Hunger Games series again.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
When I look up at the night sky I see, light pollution permitting, stars upon stars upon stars. When I look at moon landing photos or photos of the Earth, however, I do not. Why is that? Is it just light pollution again?

nekkid I haven't seen it at all but if you have watched it for that long and it hasn't grabbed you then it's probably not for you. That's a shame when that happens but it occurs to me all the time with popular culture. Move on and find something you do like; we are hardly lacking for options!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I look up at the night sky I see, light pollution permitting, stars upon stars upon stars. When I look at moon landing photos or photos of the Earth, however, I do not. Why is that? Is it just light pollution again?

nekkid I haven't seen it at all but if you have watched it for that long and it hasn't grabbed you then it's probably not for you. That's a shame when that happens but it occurs to me all the time with popular culture. Move on and find something you do like; we are hardly lacking for options!

It's inside.

Glare from the reflection of the bright surface. You're basically trying to look at stars in the daytime.