• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
My mother's taillight got hit by a flying branch or something during a bad storm here last week, and consequently has a 3-4 inch wide hole in the cover. I'm going to get some translucent red tape to patch it up tomorrow, but that will not satisfy a state inspection. (Thankfully, she got an inspection just a couple weeks ago, so she's set for about a year unless a cop decides to be a dick about it.) I'm trying to find a replacement assembly online, but the cheapest I can find upon my initial efforts is around $120, and that's from potentially shady eBay sellers. That's three times as much as I paid for my replacement tail light for an older car. Is there anywhere else I should be looking for potentially cheaper prices? (I don't think there are any junkyards here from which I can obtain salvaged pieces.)

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I hired someone on Taskrabbit to paint a room and I'm not pleased with the results. He quoted that it would take 2-3 hours. It ended up taking 6 hours. Additionally-the work wasn't done perfectly. There was an accent wall of a different color-and in the corner where it met the other wall, it's not a perfect straight line. He also didn't paint the baseboards.

What do I do? What will Taskrabbit say if I complain about this? I don't want to Lisa this guy off if he knows where I live. I honestly don't know how this guy took 6 hours to paint one room with walls 12 feet long and 9 feet high.

Ghostmate

Dec 11, 2017
Programmer-Era. Is there an actual efficient way to learn how to use QT/QT Creator aside from constant, prolonged exposure to it?

I find the provided documentation dry as hell and not particularly conducive to learning in a step-wise manner. On the other hand, most online/YouTube tutorials are out of date with QT 5+ and are limited in scope.

I only really need to learn it for one class project but I would prefer to have a more solid understanding of UI design going forwards. Pointers?

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a compact bag or a case to carry a PS4 along with a small monitor for travelling etc.?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
OK so I got high for the first time twice now and it was a total trip. My friend who smokes regularly says he's never experienced what Ive described. I dont know if Im more susceptible or what

ANyways, I kept having complete nostalgia trips that I had completely forgotten about. Its like my mind was unarchiving years of memories that I had forgotten...or at least I think. I cant actually tell if they are real memories or not. I also felt like a lot of what i was doing in the present time was deja vu. Which is of course crazy (mostly youtubing and redditing).

So I guess my question is-- am I really unlocking past memories, or was I just thinking I was? I cant tell if what I remembered was real or not

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
OK so I got high for the first time twice now and it was a total trip. My friend who smokes regularly says he's never experienced what Ive described. I dont know if Im more susceptible or what

ANyways, I kept having complete nostalgia trips that I had completely forgotten about. Its like my mind was unarchiving years of memories that I had forgotten...or at least I think. I cant actually tell if they are real memories or not. I also felt like a lot of what i was doing in the present time was deja vu. Which is of course crazy (mostly youtubing and redditing).

So I guess my question is-- am I really unlocking past memories, or was I just thinking I was? I cant tell if what I remembered was real or not
Are you vaporizing the weed? It's the only way that I feel like that. Anyway your thoughts aren't always reality. I actually vividly remembered that I got a text from my ex when I was falling asleep when in reality it never happened when I checked my texts.

Also just wondering, do you have any mental health issues? I do, so that may be it.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Are you vaporizing the weed? It's the only way that I feel like that. Anyway your thoughts aren't always reality. I actually vividly remembered that I got a text from my ex when I was falling asleep when in reality it never happened when I checked my texts.

Also just wondering, do you have any mental health issues? I do, so that may be it.
Im using a joint
No issues unless typical millennial depression counts lol
Without going into detail, i feel like im remembering repressed experiences. They feel so real, as if they actually happened. But it doesnt make sense

And ill watch some random YT vid and feel as if i remember it from my childhood. Its like my memory and whatever causes deja vu gets fucked hp

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
I have an acquaintance who does not follow me on Instagram. However, they always know when I post or do a story.

How is this possible, without continuously searching my username over and over? Is there an outside app that tracks when people who you don't follow post things?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I have an acquaintance who does not follow me on Instagram. However, they always know when I post or do a story.

How is this possible, without continuously searching my username over and over? Is there an outside app that tracks when people who you don't follow post things?
They don't follow you using a different account? Otherwise they could have just saved your profile as a bookmark.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

Do you look at their stories first? I don't follow a lot of my friends but when they look at my story I may look at theirs too

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
They don't follow you using a different account? Otherwise they could have just saved your profile as a bookmark.

Pretty confident there isn't a second account. It just seems silly to not follow someone, but know whenever they post (and even talk to me about my posts fairly promptly after I've posted them). You're probably right about the profile bookmark, but that seems tedious to have to continually check. Guess some people are willing to do that just to make a point.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Does anyone know where I can buy this version of The Lion King 4K with this slipcover?

image1.jpeg.5a03d1f152bff63c7a9f708864d04f97.jpeg

Despite TLK being one of my most favourite movies of all time, I still only have it on DVD so I'm looking to upgrade finally since it's my birthday this week. I'm in the UK but don't mind importing, pretty sure I saw this when it was announced at the end of last year and that it was NA only but I can only find copies with the other art.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
As much as I love the internet I am illiterate when it comes to understanding modems and routers and shit. I have Comcast Xfinity up to 150 mbps and I rent their standard TG1682G modem. I want faster internet and am interested in the Google WiFi. Would that be sufficient or do I have to buy a new modem/router first or can I connect the Google WiFi directly to what I rent and be done? I'm not expecting blazing speeds at all times but more consistent connections throughout the house. Thanks for any help and sorry for my lack of understanding

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
Can your health insurance get cancelled for not using it enough?

My mom called me this morning screaming that this is a thing that can happen. Now I'm wondering if they can actually do this.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love the internet I am illiterate when it comes to understanding modems and routers and shit. I have Comcast Xfinity up to 150 mbps and I rent their standard TG1682G modem. I want faster internet and am interested in the Google WiFi. Would that be sufficient or do I have to buy a new modem/router first or can I connect the Google WiFi directly to what I rent and be done? I'm not expecting blazing speeds at all times but more consistent connections throughout the house. Thanks for any help and sorry for my lack of understanding

You'd use Google's mesh WiFi system with your existing Comcast modem.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In the movie Rocky, does micky have a secret fetish?

at exactly 5:00 in this clip, when micky is talking to rocky through the bathroom door, as soon as rocky flushes, micky starts licking his lips with envy

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My suit has white sweat stains. I dry cleaned and they are still there. What happens if I put that suit in the laundry machine to wash and hang dry it? It's 65% polyester /35% rayon.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My suit has white sweat stains. I dry cleaned and they are still there. What happens if I put that suit in the laundry machine to wash and hang dry it? It's 65% polyester /35% rayon.
If you wash it in cold water it's not very likely to shrink in a water washer. But the soap may still not correct the sweat stains.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a cheap stoneware coffee mug. After some weeks of use, I noticed that the inside, if I could describe it, looks like it is melting. I can feel a 'bump' when touching it. How come?

Last edited:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a cheap stoneware coffee mug. After some weeks of use, I noticed that the inside, if I could describe it, looks like it is melting. I can feel a 'bump' when touching it. How come?
Did it always have the bump? is the whole bottom bumpy? Are you using it in the microwave, and if so, was it labeled microwave safe? Is the melting thing new and can you describe it a bit more?

Oct 27, 2017
Did it always have the bump? is the whole bottom bumpy? Are you using it in the microwave, and if so, was it labeled microwave safe? Is the melting thing new and can you describe it a bit more?
I'm fairly sure that it didnt have it before but it is not like I was staring at it to find out :p

The bottom isnt bumpy at all, and I havent used it in a microwave since it is not microwave safe. And it kinda looks like paint or water going down a wall.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is buying sneakers online such a shitshow? Not just Amazon, but they're a typical example. Normal shoe, not rare, impossible to find in your size and inconsistent keywords and features in terms of search strings - and sorting algorithms that INSIST on showing you a shoe that isn't in your size or color and could cost anywhere between $5 and $500 and the only way to find out which is to narrow it down to the exact shoe/size/color.

Adidas is the worst because they don't consistently use their OWN terms on their own website, let alone via retailer websites.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's probably where the glaze or the mug itself were detached. Imagine coating it in chocolate and then there's a little bump where you finally lift off the chocolate dispensing nozzle. Very common on glazed pottery/ceramics/stoneware and nothing to sweat.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly sure that it didnt have it before but it is not like I was staring at it to find out :p

The bottom isnt bumpy at all, and I havent used it in a microwave since it is not microwave safe. And it kinda looks like paint or water going down a wall.
Just sounds like a glaze drip, then. Those are permanent. A bit of thicker coating and possibly variant color. It adds character and isn't harmful in any way.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this thread, I have a question but I don't think it warrants a thread.

I've been wondering .. just *how* are off-brand products able to undercut the price so much ? Just using as an example, Safeway sells "Signature" brand of products which basically encompasses everything from household cleaning products to diet colas, and they are all always much cheaper than their brand equivalent counterparts.

During my last visit I picked up a 12 pack cans of the Signature branded diet cola which is $2.99 compared to Coca Cola or Pepsi, which costs IIRC $6.99 or so. Their sugar/carb etc count is exactly the same and to my taste buds, it tasted like the exact same thing, or something so close I couldn't tell the difference.

The same applies for other everyday usage things like wipes. Cholrox branded wipes are considerably more expensive than the exact same damn thing that Signature sells.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bumping this thread, I have a question but I don't think it warrants a thread.

I've been wondering .. just *how* are off-brand products able to undercut the price so much ? Just using as an example, Safeway sells "Signature" brand of products which basically encompasses everything from household cleaning products to diet colas, and they are all always much cheaper than their brand equivalent counterparts.

During my last visit I picked up a 12 pack cans of the Signature branded diet cola which is $2.99 compared to Coca Cola or Pepsi, which costs IIRC $6.99 or so. Their sugar/carb etc count is exactly the same and to my taste buds, it tasted like the exact same thing, or something so close I couldn't tell the difference.

The same applies for other everyday usage things like wipes. Cholrox branded wipes are considerably more expensive than the exact same damn thing that Signature sells.

All these products cost mere pennies to manufacture. The price you pay is inflated by the cost of advertising and all the middlemen who want a cut, as well as profits for the owners.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
All these products cost mere pennies to manufacture. The price you pay is inflated by the cost of advertising and all the middlemen who want a cut, as well as profits for the owners.

Yeah, that makes sense. Honestly I'll be happy the rest of my life if I just buy these Signature products and pay half of 'branded' products.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Anybody have any smartphone magnetic car mounts they'd recommend?

Preferably something strong enough to hold an iPhone XR in portrait or landscape. (I do charge wirelessly on occasion, and don't want to use a huge metal plate in my case that will interfere w/ that.)

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Who do they know how many calories are in our food? Like is there a machine or something
Calories are just a fancy way of saying "stored energy". There are a few different ways to test it, but a common way is to just light it on fire and measure how much energy a known quantity of an item gives off in terms of heat.

This means you can find calorie counts for non-edible items as well such as gasoline.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
Do we have a thread for music creation? I just bought my first synth.
there is this:
and this:
www.resetera.com

MusicianERA |OT| Producers and Artists Welcome

Welcome to the official musician and production thread for the Reset ERA forum Hey guys, it's a new ERA so let's have a new place to get together and collaborate, give tips, and critique each other's work! Open to all music producers, composers, and songwriters whom are actively encouraged to...

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Really stupid questions for Discord-Era. I've never used Discord before, but I want to use it for group private voice chat with my brothers for a PPV viewing party I want to set up later this month around my birthday. My brothers aren't that tech savvy. (Neither am I, I guess, since I have to ask this.) Am I correct that if we use the mobile app, then we can just use our phones to chat right? As in, we don't have to plug in a mic or earphones to the audio jack on our phones in order to chat with each other right? My other dumb question is regarding screen sharing. Now, granted, I know we can't use screen sharing with the mobile app, which isn't a problem if we use our laptops. My question is you can't screen share and stream a PPV to private group on Discord right? Like I can't buy a PPV and then just screen share a stream from my desktop with brothers so they don't also have to buy the PPV right? I mean, I'm assuming you could, but that it would be some sort of TOS violation that would get you banned right? Like you can't obviously just stream a PPV on Twitch for example, so I'm assuming I can't screen share and stream a PPV with my brothers on Discord, even though it would be a private server right? Basically, I'm just trying to find the easiest, cheapest, and legal way to have a private voice chat group with my brothers so we can talk during the PPV, even if that means each of us buys the PPV. Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all,

I'm wondering where the Steam community thread is on this forum. I can find the Switch Eshop one but that steam one is hiding from me.

Thanks in advance!

Deleted member 35653

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Can someone explain me the monetization in the upcoming Yugioh game on Switch? I played the mobile version of Duel Links and everything was behind a paywall, like some of my favorites like Cyber Dragons. Evry info would be much appreciated.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using Windows 10. When I used to leave the the PC, the display would turn off after a while. Maybe like 10 minutes. But if I locked the screen and left the PC, it would turn off much faster. I did a restart yesterday after a very long time and it doesn't seem like this functionality is still there. I lowered the time to turn off screen yesterday when I was locking my computer but it also turns off super quick when I'm still signed in and leave my computer for a bit.

Does anyone know how this is controlled and what I can do to fix it?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
So I got a new 55" TV from Best Buy with the 2-year protection plan. I have a tiny apartment. Do I need to keep the box in case I need to use the protection plan? Is keeping the flattened box but throwing out the styrofoam crap enough?

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
My skill in botany is decidedly lower than the average Boy Scout, but are these poison ivy?

C6GhWT3.jpg

NUly2OA.jpg

They're right next to the sidewalk near where I live, and I feel a bit anxious walking so near them. The leaves seem a bit too large, but otherwise they match several characteristics. I suppose I could push a random person into them to find out, but that may cause other issues.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
My skill in botany is decidedly lower than the average Boy Scout, but are these poison ivy?

*snip*

They're right next to the sidewalk near where I live, and I feel a bit anxious walking so near them. The leaves seem a bit too large, but otherwise they match several characteristics. I suppose I could push a random person into them to find out, but that may cause other issues.

The picture is a little blurry but it looks like poison ivy to me. Here's a decent resource.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
If you had to choose a slow, searing ride on Satan's carousel, or watching helplessly by as your best friend got it on with your lover, what choice would you make?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'm using Windows 10. When I used to leave the the PC, the display would turn off after a while. Maybe like 10 minutes. But if I locked the screen and left the PC, it would turn off much faster. I did a restart yesterday after a very long time and it doesn't seem like this functionality is still there. I lowered the time to turn off screen yesterday when I was locking my computer but it also turns off super quick when I'm still signed in and leave my computer for a bit.

Does anyone know how this is controlled and what I can do to fix it?
Have you checked all of the settings in the Power Options menu? I can't remember the exact ones but you should be able to individually control both of your scenarios from here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Have you checked all of the settings in the Power Options menu? I can't remember the exact ones but you should be able to individually control both of your scenarios from here.
I thought I did check all the settings in the Power menu. I saw Turn off Display and Sleep options for both when battery is being used and when computer is plugged in. But nothing that dictated how the display is turned off differently between a lock screen and a computer still logged in

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really stupid questions for Discord-Era. I've never used Discord before, but I want to use it for group private voice chat with my brothers for a PPV viewing party I want to set up later this month around my birthday. My brothers aren't that tech savvy. (Neither am I, I guess, since I have to ask this.) Am I correct that if we use the mobile app, then we can just use our phones to chat right? As in, we don't have to plug in a mic or earphones to the audio jack on our phones in order to chat with each other right? My other dumb question is regarding screen sharing. Now, granted, I know we can't use screen sharing with the mobile app, which isn't a problem if we use our laptops. My question is you can't screen share and stream a PPV to private group on Discord right? Like I can't buy a PPV and then just screen share a stream from my desktop with brothers so they don't also have to buy the PPV right? I mean, I'm assuming you could, but that it would be some sort of TOS violation that would get you banned right? Like you can't obviously just stream a PPV on Twitch for example, so I'm assuming I can't screen share and stream a PPV with my brothers on Discord, even though it would be a private server right? Basically, I'm just trying to find the easiest, cheapest, and legal way to have a private voice chat group with my brothers so we can talk during the PPV, even if that means each of us buys the PPV. Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions.

Audio works fine on phones via speakerphone.

I don't think it's as good a solution for desktop sharing as you're looking for.