• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Could you learn to drive a manual transmission by playing a racing sim (with clutch and shifter controls obviously)?
I mean, you can learn the concept, but it's not going to help you much with execution.

Beyond the purely mechanical aspect of pushing an extra pedal and moving a stick with your arm, changing gears is about feeling and understanding what the car is doing. You wont get any of that feel from a racing sim, no matter how good the force feedback is.

(Bonus extra: The secret they never tell you about driving manual is that you basically get to re-learn eveything every time you get a new car, because every car has different tolerances, different bite points, different clutch travel and stiffness, different shifter position and gate, etc.)

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to see how much RAM the OS is using? I don't mean software wise, which you can see using Task Manager, but the actual OS and everything it runs to ensure shit doesn't crash. Unless I'm looking at the wrong place, the Task Manager only displays software.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Is there a way to see how much RAM the OS is using? I don't mean software wise, which you can see using Task Manager, but the actual OS and everything it runs to ensure shit doesn't crash. Unless I'm looking at the wrong place, the Task Manager only displays software.
The answer to this depends on the version of Windows you're using.

Task manager in Windows 10 splits out all process and will allow you to specifically see how much RAM system processes are using.

You can also click the details tab to get even more... details, like Working Set vs Private Working Set, etc.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
So judging by lack of responses I'm gonna assume a piercing thread/body modification thread does not exist or people are just not interested.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
does anyone know if anything came out of that panama papers thing? did anyone of the rich scumbags go to jail for it?

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So there is building wifi fory dad but he doesnr get good wifi signal in his room. Is there something I can get for him to get a better signal?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
So there is building wifi fory dad but he doesnr get good wifi signal in his room. Is there something I can get for him to get a better signal?
I was talking to my cable internet guy the other day and he said people buy wifi extenders when really they just need to do is locate the wifi router/modem in a better place in the house. Something I'm looking into tonight actually.

I'll throw you a link on here if I find anything. I assume there has to be a few articles on the subject since wifi is so popular

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
JuLZ7wp.jpg

Anyone know what this symbol is, my wife is wondering and I have no idea.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Anyone know what this symbol is, my wife is wondering and I have no idea.

For what its worth the symbol looked familiar to me but I couldn't place it either. Tried a couple reverse image searches but they came up with nothing. It kinda gives me Assassins Creed logo vibes but they aren't even close. Curious to see what it is now too -__-

Edit: Glad you got an answer! I think I was just thinking of some other logo as I'm not familiar with that.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Era: when am I going to stop scrolling all the way to the top of the page before remembering that the quick jump menu exists? :(

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an audio/home theatre thread?

I have a Sony soundbar and I'm trying to figure out how to use it properly,best settings, if the Sony satellite speakers are worth buying, best way to make use of it with Apple Music,iOS etc

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ewA6BeLVqnK/p_158HTCT800/Sony-HT-CT800.html

Soundbar.

A bit over a week late, sorry, but if you haven't already found it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/audio-era-because-sound-matters.7045/

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Chrome doesn't show embedded twitter videos. I've tried re-installing, but to noavail. When I press the play button it seems it's started loading, but nothing ever comes out.

It's starting to drive me craze especially in 'Pics that make you laugh' -thread :P

Help me!

E: Apparently clearing cookies via settings is not enough. You have to also clear cookies by clicking the left side of the address bar and proceed from there. Now it works!

Last edited:

3bdelilah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to see how much RAM my system is using when idle? Meaning, not software, but the actual amount that's needed to run my PC. Usually I could find it under System in Task Manager, but now it always sits at 0% which obviously doesn't make sense. For example, at this moment my PC is using 3GB of RAM according to the Task Manager, 1GB of which are software (like Firefox), and 2GB of what I assume is used by System. But I can't find this exact amount anywhere. Not in Task Manager, not in Source Control or whatever it's called in English,

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Is there a way to see how much RAM my system is using when idle? Meaning, not software, but the actual amount that's needed to run my PC. Usually I could find it under System in Task Manager, but now it always sits at 0% which obviously doesn't make sense. For example, at this moment my PC is using 3GB of RAM according to the Task Manager, 1GB of which are software (like Firefox), and 2GB of what I assume is used by System. But I can't find this exact amount anywhere. Not in Task Manager, not in Source Control or whatever it's called in English,
You got a response to this at the top of the page.

3bdelilah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You got a response to this at the top of the page.

Whoops, must have forgotten about the notification alert.

The answer to this depends on the version of Windows you're using.

Task manager in Windows 10 splits out all process and will allow you to specifically see how much RAM system processes are using.

You can also click the details tab to get even more... details, like Working Set vs Private Working Set, etc.

I'm using Windows 10 and when I open Task Manager, it says I'm using 3 GB of RAM right now. But when I manually add everything together, it only nets a total of 1 GB currently being used. This probably means the OS uses the remaining 2 GB, but usually this amount is displayed in Task Manager under System, but looking up System under Processes it says it uses 0%. Obviously this isn't correct, but would you perhaps know why it does this, and how I can look up the exact amount of RAM that the OS uses? Thanks.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Whoops, must have forgotten about the notification alert.

I'm using Windows 10 and when I open Task Manager, it says I'm using 3 GB of RAM right now. But when I manually add everything together, it only nets a total of 1 GB currently being used. This probably means the OS uses the remaining 2 GB, but usually this amount is displayed in Task Manager under System, but looking up System under Processes it says it uses 0%. Obviously this isn't correct, but would you perhaps know why it does this, and how I can look up the exact amount of RAM that the OS uses? Thanks.
The OS reserves RAM for immediate use in case it needs it.

If it didn't and allowed programs to use all the RAM and the system suddenly needed extra that hadn't been reserved the system would crash.

Edit, you may also have system RAM reserved for GPU use.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do Gel nails come in the colour you see or start off clear?
Might depend on the product. Gels can be a coating that is applied to the natural nail and not extended, and then hardened. That tends to be fairly colorless, then nail polish can be applied. For a natural look people just get French polish.

Other products like acrylics can be a preformed-item that is basically glued to the natural nail. These get shaped to the user's preference. While I haven't seen them be pre colored there could be some, I don't work at a salon so I don't have insight on newer items.

I've seen preformed items that are called gels, so it used to be that the definition could be murky and it was necessary to pay attention to what was ordered. Could still be true, I don't know.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Yeah, officially, it's just Brendon. There are at least half a dozen musicians that have been touring with him for a while, though.

I wasn't the one asking but this makes a lot of sense. I was watching some awards show and they were playing and I was like hey look its that kid that went to high school with me, randomly playing guitar for Panic.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have seborrheic dermatitis or know about it? Is it common for a medicated shampoo to just stop working? Or is it something else that makes it come back?

3bdelilah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The OS reserves RAM for immediate use in case it needs it.

If it didn't and allowed programs to use all the RAM and the system suddenly needed extra that hadn't been reserved the system would crash.

Edit, you may also have system RAM reserved for GPU use.

I understand, but is there a way to see exactly how much RAM is reserved for or currently being used by the OS? Because what I'm seeing now is this:

In use: 3.4 GB
Available: 4.5 GB
Assigned: 4.3/15.9 GB
In cache: 3.5 GB
Paged pool: 330 MB
Non-paged pool: 155 MB

According to the Task Manager, I'm using around 1.2 GB now with Firefox and other small stuff running, but what is using the remaining (3.4 - 1.2 is) 2.2 GB? I assume the OS, correct? But I can't seem to retrace this number anywhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok got a question for yall. I got myself a new phone and Im gonna do the Samsung data transfer process. Do i put the sim card from my old phone into the new phone before the transfer process or after?

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I got a question to settle a dumb argument my brother and I were having.

So, we were arguing about the retail price of the Smash Switch bundle and he claims it's $450 and I say it's $360. He says he went to Walmart and saw it for $450 also including the fact that on their site it says something like $508 here. He also had a friend preorder it before the November 2nd release date and said they preordered it for $400+.

His argument is that Walmart and equivalent can't mark the price up in stores so the original price must have been higher than $360. It started to get a little too heated so I left it at that.

TLDR: What did the price of the Smash Switch bundle sell for? $360 or $400+?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got a question to settle a dumb argument my brother and I were having.

So, we were arguing about the retail price of the Smash Switch bundle and he claims it's $450 and I say it's $360. He says he went to Walmart and saw it for $450 also including the fact that on their site it says something like $508 here. He also had a friend preorder it before the November 2nd release date and said they preordered it for $400+.

His argument is that Walmart and equivalent can't mark the price up in stores so the original price must have been higher than $360. It started to get a little too heated so I left it at that.

TLDR: What did the price of the Smash Switch bundle sell for? $360 or $400+?

$360

That Walmart link is for a third party reseller.

See also https://m.imore.com/can-i-still-get-super-smash-bros-ultimate-nintendo-switch-bundle
and
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianm...fo-which-version-should-you-buy/#282b57da756d

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Thank you, I showed him a Variety link that listed the price but I doubt that'll change his mind because he claims he saw one in stores for $400+ and that retailers can't alter the price of a product due to being illegal. Also that because they are going for $400+ now and not at release. I'll forward him these links but I don't believe it'll change his mind.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
My eyes are red daily due to reasons. Its not an issue really and haven't done anything about it. If I ever wanted to do something about it is there anything I could do on a daily basis that would help? A quick google search said using most Visine or whatever brand OTC stuff is a bad idea. Obviously I know my eyes aren't being damaged and its not affecting my vision.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Thank you, I showed him a Variety link that listed the price but I doubt that'll change his mind because he claims he saw one in stores for $400+ and that retailers can't alter the price of a product due to being illegal. Also that because they are going for $400+ now and not at release. I'll forward him these links but I don't believe it'll change his mind.

Ok so if I'm reading this right you were saying it was $360.

I didn't even know about this bundle or the current price of the Switch, but after a quick Google search of "Smash Switch Bundle Retail Price" every link I clicked said the retail price of $359.99

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Youtube embeds dont work on resetera for me.
I have to copy and paste the link.
Anyway for me to fix this so it just plays in the resetera thread.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Ok so if I'm reading this right you were saying it was $360.

I didn't even know about this bundle or the current price of the Switch, but after a quick Google search of "Smash Switch Bundle Retail Price" every link I clicked said the retail price of $359.99
You're right, it's a stupid argument that he believes he has "won" but every time I show him a link stating it's $360 he says something to the affect of "well I saw it right now and it says $400+ so that's what it is going for." I don't know if we miscommunicated about whether third-party sellers and marked up prices counted or not but whatever. Only reason I'm annoyed about it because he acted so staunchly "correct" about his answer that it baffled me.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
You're right, it's a stupid argument that he believes he has "won" but every time I show him a link stating it's $360 he says something to the affect of "well I saw it right now and it says $400+ so that's what it is going for." I don't know if we miscommunicated about whether third-party sellers and marked up prices counted or not but whatever. Only reason I'm annoyed about it because he acted so staunchly "correct" about his answer that it baffled me.

Welp I have some good news for you not only are you correct but you sound like you have a typical relationship with your brother. This is exactly the sort of stuff I get into with my brother ( and sister for that matter ) you're best bet is to agree to disagree.

Yea I have this problem all the time too. I usually just refresh, right click and select open in a new tab. I feel like it is something the team or whatever is aware of and is in the works of fixing. You aren't the first person I've seen talk about this.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Welp I have some good news for you not only are you correct but you sound like you have a typical relationship with your brother. This is exactly the sort of stuff I get into with my brother ( and sister for that matter ) you're best bet is to agree to disagree.

Yea I have this problem all the time too. I usually just refresh, right click and select open in a new tab. I feel like it is something the team or whatever is aware of and is in the works of fixing. You aren't the first person I've seen talk about this.
I guess so, it's just temple-rubbing-frustrating trying to argue with him and he does nothing but gaslight the conversation.

As for the other poster, isn't the Youtube "cannot play/error" when trying to play a video in a thread dependent on the content creator? I swear I (wrongly) answered someone's question about this exact topic and was corrected that it wasn't Youtube's doing but the content provider forcing people to open a new tab to view videos.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I guess so, it's just temple-rubbing-frustrating trying to argue with him and he does nothing but gaslight the conversation.

As for the other poster, isn't the Youtube "cannot play/error" when trying to play a video in a thread dependent on the content creator? I swear I (wrongly) answered someone's question about this exact topic and was corrected that it wasn't Youtube's doing but the content provider forcing people to open a new tab to view videos.

This actually could make sense cause I feel like I remember them working randomly, and they might not get a view or whatever for and embedded video so I get why most would disable it altogether. If I wanted to see a video obviously I'm just gonna end up opening a new tab if it didn't work.

Edit: and yea always frustrating when you are providing someone facts compared to what someone believes to be facts. I deal with this sort of shit at my work too. Late shift ends up devolving into us arguing the dumbest stuff. We literally spent the last hour debating if water, in its purest form has a taste.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
This actually could make sense cause I feel like I remember them working randomly, and they might not get a view or whatever for and embedded video so I get why most would disable it altogether. If I wanted to see a video obviously I'm just gonna end up opening a new tab if it didn't work.

Edit: and yea always frustrating when you are providing someone facts compared to what someone believes to be facts. I deal with this sort of shit at my work too. Late shift ends up devolving into us arguing the dumbest stuff. We literally spent the last hour debating if water, in its purest form has a taste.
To be a fly on the wall for that argument. What was your rebuttal?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
That was the worst part. I was arguing that water had no taste, their argument literally was "well if you were blindfolded and someone gave you grape juice and water you could taste which one tasted like water" then someone chimed in with "Yea! exactly, cause when I drink out of the sink or drink bottled water I can taste the difference!" at that point I realized it wasn't worth even trying to say anything. I honestly don't know if I'm even right or wrong. haha