• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
That was the worst part. I was arguing that water had no taste, their argument literally was "well if you were blindfolded and someone gave you grape juice and water you could taste which one tasted like water" then someone chimed in with "Yea! exactly, cause when I drink out of the sink or drink bottled water I can taste the difference!" at that point I realized it wasn't worth even trying to say anything. I honestly don't know if I'm even right or wrong. haha
My brother (different one) and I were having a friendly debate on this. I said no it doesn't have a taste eliminating all variables of water such as cloud vapor, ground water, tap water, etc. and just pure two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom as in your argument, he said it does. He claims that we taste with molecules and that water therefore could have a taste, I say that it doesn't because it is water, and in it's purist form wouldn't have a taste if again eliminating all other variables.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
My brother (different one) and I were having a friendly debate on this. I said no it doesn't have a taste eliminating all variables of water such as cloud vapor, ground water, tap water, etc. and just pure two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom as in your argument, he said it does. He claims that we taste with molecules and that water therefore could have a taste, I say that it doesn't because it is water, and in it's purist form wouldn't have a taste if again eliminating all other variables.

You don't know how relieved I am to hear someone else agree with me.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

???

It's called water taste. It's not exactly a taste like sour etc. (even though studies from last year say that water does have a sour taste or triggers these receptors). Everything else is are different minerals.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
???

It's called water taste. It's not exactly a taste like sour etc. (even though studies from last year say that water does have a sour taste or triggers these receptors). Everything else is are different minerals.
Yeah I know water has other minerals in it but if one could eliminate them entirely, would water really taste like anything? I'm not too sure. They may give it a name and it may trigger receptors in the brain and on the tongue but I'm not going to start saying I tasted something in my purified water.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on this if it is true otherwise.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I know water has other minerals in it but if one could eliminate them entirely, would water really taste like anything? I'm not too sure. They may give it a name and it may trigger receptors in the brain and on the tongue but I'm not going to start saying I tasted something in my purified water.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on this if it is true otherwise.

Yes and this is called water taste. This is the name for what you describe.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
How do YouTubers and bloggers handle taxes and is it worth creating a blog for tax reasons?

At the end of the year they declare their earnings and they are taxed with the appropriate rate on that income.

Some might funnel it through a legal entity like a company, in which case it is the same process with a different rate.

I dont think blogging or maintaining a YouTube channel specifically for tax reasons makes sense. YouTubers might call the money they receive "donations", the truth is that it is seen by the tax authorities as a daytime job. There is no tax exemption for this.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
My eyes are red daily due to reasons. Its not an issue really and haven't done anything about it. If I ever wanted to do something about it is there anything I could do on a daily basis that would help? A quick google search said using most Visine or whatever brand OTC stuff is a bad idea. Obviously I know my eyes aren't being damaged and its not affecting my vision.
I'd say go to your doctor about it if you are concerned. My guess is you may have a mild allergy to something you're around daily / most days, or maybe your system is simply a bit run-down. Or maybe even you're just not getting enough sleep. I have allergies that affect me to varying degrees each week (I know dogs in particular are what set me off worst but yeah I'm not staying away from dogs my whole life) but my eyes seem to always be the part that get it worst, they get extremely red and inflamed and the area around them swells up and unless I use an antihistamine and/or Otrivine eye drops it can get pretty seriously bad and starts spreading across my face.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I'd say go to your doctor about it if you are concerned. My guess is you may have a mild allergy to something you're around daily / most days, or maybe your system is simply a bit run-down. Or maybe even you're just not getting enough sleep. I have allergies that affect me to varying degrees each week (I know dogs in particular are what set me off worst but yeah I'm not staying away from dogs my whole life) but my eyes seem to always be the part that get it worst, they get extremely red and inflamed and the area around them swells up and unless I use an antihistamine and/or Otrivine eye drops it can get pretty seriously bad and starts spreading across my face.

I don't think I need to go to a Dr., I'm not concerned really. I'm good with 6 hours of sleep but with my new work schedule I end up getting closer to 8. I just smoke to get myself to sleep at night and on weekends

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think I need to go to a Dr., I'm not concerned really. I'm good with 6 hours of sleep but with my new work schedule I end up getting closer to 8. I just smoke to get myself to sleep at night and on weekends

Aren't red eyes sometimes a symptom of cannabis use - assuming that's what you mean by 'smoke myself to sleep'?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna know about passenger rights in domestic flights in US, in the events of a delay or cancellation.

I live in Brazil, but I'll be travelling from Miami to Seattle, for a friend's wedding. Then I'll be doing the return trip from Seattle to Miami and then coming back to Brazil. The Miami-Seattle round trip is through a different airline company than my Brazil-Miami flight.

I want to know if I have the right to demand flying through a different company if my flight is cancelled or delayed to an amount that I'll inevitably miss my flight in Miami. I can do this in Brazil, but I'm not finding a clear answer about the US regulations. I mean, is there even a regulation about this kind of stuff, or it's just the airliner contract and the passenger must accept their conditions?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I wanna know about passenger rights in domestic flights in US, in the events of a delay or cancellation.

I live in Brazil, but I'll be travelling from Miami to Seattle, for a friend's wedding. Then I'll be doing the return trip from Seattle to Miami and then coming back to Brazil. The Miami-Seattle round trip is through a different airline company than my Brazil-Miami flight.

I want to know if I have the right to demand flying through a different company if my flight is cancelled or delayed to an amount that I'll inevitably miss my flight in Miami. I can do this in Brazil, but I'm not finding a clear answer about the US regulations. I mean, is there even a regulation about this kind of stuff, or it's just the airliner contract and the passenger must accept their conditions?

This might help...
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights#Delayed-and-Cancelled-Flights

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
retailers can't alter the price of a product due to being illegal

Also, retailers can sell a product for whatever price they want. There's nothing illegal about deviating from the Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price. Plenty of stores sell 99c Arizona drinks for $1.50 or even $2. Amazon sells products both under MSRP and over (mostly marketplace, but there's no legal difference). On a related note, Nintendo lost a major price fixing lawsuit in the 1980s where they tried to withhold products from retailers who "broke" MSRP (everyone got coupons as compensation).

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In movies people under duress, usually women, sometimes take a shower with their clothes on and cry.

How did this ever become a cliche? No one does this IRL.

For that matter, I got a whole list of "shit people only do in movies" that I'd love to know the origins of.

Wish I had thread privelages!

Feb 10, 2018
In the TV show altered carbon the needlecasting tech does not extend life but just makes an up to date copy possible?

Because your brains info and conscious is transferred into your stack? Or is it just copied into the stack?

So in altered carbon its not life extension. Its just having copies of yourself?

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
How did mangoes become so prevalent and cheap in the us? I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Never remember mangoes being around. Now they are always in the grocery store for $1.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
How did mangoes become so prevalent and cheap in the us? I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Never remember mangoes being around. Now they are always in the grocery store for $1.

I'd imagine it's a case of more resilient varieties being cultivated which makes them easier to grow in differing climates.

Same with any fruit really, once you can mass cultivate a product and get the shipping sorted it's easy enough to get plenty of them onto shelves.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Ok....in movies, TV shows etc etc. When a newspaper clippings is shown on the screen does anyone pause the media to read the clippings? To try to get additional backstory about the villian or a murder..If so... TLDR What do you call it when the first 3 lines are in English and the rest is in a different language.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does this .gif not have a source? I was looking everywhere for one and I never got a hit. I would have thought it'd be easier than this because of how seemingly iconic it is.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My toilet never fills back up with enough water, it always looks low and makes me think it's clogged when it doesn't appear to be.

How do I fix this?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It's just very silly. When I want to cleanse myself I take off my clothes. That's why we change after work!

Oh yeah, it is ridiculous but I think it's supposed to imply the mental state they're in.

giphy.gif

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
My toilet never fills back up with enough water, it always looks low and makes me think it's clogged when it doesn't appear to be.

How do I fix this?

If it's a ballcock then either just bend the arm so that it's a bit lower in the cistern or you'll find a screw near the end of the arm that does the same thing.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
My eyes are red daily due to reasons. Its not an issue really and haven't done anything about it. If I ever wanted to do something about it is there anything I could do on a daily basis that would help? A quick google search said using most Visine or whatever brand OTC stuff is a bad idea. Obviously I know my eyes aren't being damaged and its not affecting my vision.

I don't know if this will help, but I had an issue with dry, itchy eyes and my eye doctor recommended Systane Ultra eye drops and they've really helped me a lot. She told me that your tears naturally contain a lubricating oil and sometimes when you age your body produces less of that oil causing that dry itchy feeling. I'm not sure if it has an effect on red eyes, but it's an inexpensive over-the-counter product that is safe for daily use, so it may be worth a try. I've also bought the generic store brand that compares to Systane Ultra and they work just as well for me.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I don't know if this will help, but I had an issue with dry, itchy eyes and my eye doctor recommended Systane Ultra eye drops and they've really helped me a lot. She told me that your tears naturally contain a lubricating oil and sometimes when you age your body produces less of that oil causing that dry itchy feeling. I'm not sure if it has an effect on red eyes, but it's an inexpensive over-the-counter product that is safe for daily use, so it may be worth a try. I've also bought the generic store brand that compares to Systane Ultra and they work just as well for me.

Thanka forthis, I'll def look into as you say it's safe for daily use. That was really my main concern. I dont wanna use visine red eye or whatever everyday.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, sure, i get the idea behind the symbolism of washing. Like cutting your hair as a symbol for a turning point in a character's arc.

But why the clothes??
Likely to avoid a nude scene.
Crying in the shower is a real thing, but pulling an R rating can change the marketing. Also some actors don't choose to do nudity.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Likely to avoid a nude scene.
Crying in the shower is a real thing, but pulling an R rating can change the marketing. Also some actors don't choose to do nudity.
You don't have to shoot them nude. Plenty of shower scenes that don't show anything that would raise the rating.

I'm gonna go with Dan Thunder and say it's a way to further stress the emotional collapse of the character, but I still can't figure out where it started and why it became a trope

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I ordered a computer part on amazon(building a PC). I got charged for it the day I ordered it but just today I got that money deposited back into my bank account(by amazon). I checked the order and it still says its arriving next week(but has not shipped yet). Did I get the part for free or am I still gonna get charged? Not once in my life have I seen amazon clear funds like other online retailers do so I'm confused as hell.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
So I ordered a computer part on amazon(building a PC). I got charged for it the day I ordered it but just today I got that money deposited back into my bank account(by amazon). I checked the order and it still says its arriving next week(but has not shipped yet). Did I get the part for free or am I still gonna get charged? Not once in my life have I seen amazon clear funds like other online retailers do so I'm confused as hell.

Was it from Amazon or a 3rd party from Amazon? I've had some wonky stuff happen with going through a 3rd party seller. Regardless I'd phone Amazon. Their customer support is pretty great for the most part. Most of the time when they mess something up they either refund me or let me keep the slightly messed up but fully functional item while also sending me a new one.

Honestly the only bad experience I've had with Amazon was when I submitted for a refund, lost what I bought due to moving. Called them up tried to cancel the refund and just pay for it since I goofed. Nobody on CS has been able to figure out how to fix it for me. They haven't ever bothered me about it either. So they just refunded me money, not complaining.

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
Ok....in movies, TV shows etc etc. When a newspaper clippings is shown on the screen does anyone pause the media to read the clippings? To try to get additional backstory about the villian or a murder..If so... TLDR What do you call it when the first 3 lines are in English and the rest is in a different language.

If it's Latin filler text than it's usually Lorem Ipsum, I don't know if there's a name for switching languages though.

Oct 27, 2017
So uh...I was walking out of my apartment building, and it has a light bulb with a motion sensor, I passed by and it lit up, but then I heard a 'crack', turned my head to check and the thing was burning out, but it was so fucking orange at the base that it looked that it might have caught fire, along with more cracking noises. Is that normal? It didnt look normal. Our landlady already replaced the bulb but that shit was weeeeeird.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Since the forum update, how do you remove a link that is embedded in text you are quoting? It used to be there were two buttons available, one to insert a link and one with a "broken link" symbol to remove a link. Now there is only the insert link button.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Since the forum update, how do you remove a link that is embedded in text you are quoting? It used to be there were two buttons available, one to insert a link and one with a "broken link" symbol to remove a link. Now there is only the insert link button.
Move the cursor into the text that includes the link and it pops up with a few buttons, one of which is unlink.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
You have to manually remove a link, by clicking the "html toggle" button (see pic), then removing the [URL=] [/URL] tags.
capture_2019-01-01-08vse9b.png

capture_2019-01-01-08pfch1.png

Move the cursor into the text that includes the link and it pops up with a few buttons, one of which is unlink.
Well fuck me, I've been doing it the complicated way this entire time lols. Thanks for the simple solution.

Last edited:

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

Does the text look like this?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

If so, it's standard dummy text used for spacing or otherwise filling up space that no one is actually expected to read.

Big Al

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Here's my question... I'm 20 years old, I don't feel like I've accomplished enough. Have I wasted my life? I struggle with this idea a lot. If I evaluate the notion it seems like I'm overreacting and I have just as much as most people in those regards, no matter how many people tell me I'm young it feels like I'm behind and I won't be able to do the things I want.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my question... I'm 20 years old, I don't feel like I've accomplished enough. Have I wasted my life? I struggle with this idea a lot. If I evaluate the notion it seems like I'm overreacting and I have just as much as most people in those regards, no matter how many people tell me I'm young it feels like I'm behind and I won't be able to do the things I want.
In the USA it's accepted that college graduation doesn't occur until age 22 at best. If you're on track for that you're not behind. If you went a different path you're still not behind.

Do people around you contribute to the feeling? If so that could be an unhealthy environment for you. Or, if it all comes from inside, you may have anxiety and could be evaluated by a professional to see if it's interfering in your life. Or it might be your conscience telling you not to waste time watching tv when you could be productive. It depends how bad it is, really.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Age 20 is barely removed from childhood.

Last edited: