• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You've never been told to "rub a little dirt in it?"
N...no. I grew up in the 20th century, where we clean wounds with clean water and soap and put a bandage on it...

If you are wounded in the complete wilderness there might be some merit to rubbing "dirt" (or more specifically, clay) as they are known to have clotting properties and some of the minerals in it can have antibacterial properties, but it's also a risk because you don't know the composition of this dirt (it could be very unsafe and make things worse, if the clay contains toxic minerals or if the dirt has germs in it, for instance).

In a modern setting with access to proper medicine, it's an insanely idiotic idea to choose this over soap, water, and bandaging.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Is there a way to see who posted how much in a thread? It used to be clicking on the post count, but that does not seem to work on xeno?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to see who posted how much in a thread? It used to be clicking on the post count, but that does not seem to work on xeno?
"Top posters" was briefly used but canceled, I think due to database overwork.
Now you can search a single thread for posts by a single user, but I'm not aware of a current way to see a list of all participants.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I want to save up for a vacation in spring of 2020, but can only afford to be putting aside around $50 a month. Is there a particular place or account type I could put the money into where it'll earn some worthwhile interest?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I want to save up for a vacation in spring of 2020, but can only afford to be putting aside around $50 a month. Is there a particular place or account type I could put the money into where it'll earn some worthwhile interest?

At $50pm you'll struggle to get more than a few percent I'm afraid. Maybe see if there's a bank that gives you a signing up bonus? Though even they will likely require a much larger monthly payment.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
For a short term investment like that in which you need at least the money you put and ideally more you pretty much stuck with guarantied investment certificates (or similar) or interest generating saving accounts.

Depending which country/which banks/on-line banks you have access to there several products.

I wouldn't put in in stock or index fund for short time like that. Especially that we are heading in a recession most-likely.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Ok so I know everyone will respond saying "go to a dr."

I thought I had my ears gauged to 22mm in the past but after sizing up I def was not this big. So I shoved in the 22mm ones, sliced up my ears real bad. I won't even look in the mirror. Is there anything I can do to help this, please don;t just tell me I;'m fucked.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
You know when you watch modern movies or TV shows that are set in the past? Could be 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's or earlier.

Where do they get all the cars from?? There are just plenty of cars from that era in the film. Where do the movie makers get them from?

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ok so I know everyone will respond saying "go to a dr."

I thought I had my ears gauged to 22mm in the past but after sizing up I def was not this big. So I shoved in the 22mm ones, sliced up my ears real bad. I won't even look in the mirror. Is there anything I can do to help this, please don;t just tell me I;'m fucked.

Um. Go to a Dr.

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
I want to keep my options open and might want to move later into the CS field: For my 2nd Major Should I choose Computational Mathematics, Mathematics or Applied Mathematics? (I can still take the others as minors)

Edit: My 1st Major is in Physics.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
You know when you watch modern movies or TV shows that are set in the past? Could be 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's or earlier.

Where do they get all the cars from?? There are just plenty of cars from that era in the film. Where do the movie makers get them from?

A lot more than you'd suspect are CG. Take a look at the behind the scenes for David fincher's Zodiac, for example.

For those being interacted with, many are body rebuilds with fake or empty engine bays.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Suggestions on ways to clean a washer? Recently after each load our clothing has a not great smell to them. Its not from leaving clothing in there too long before drying, this happens no matter how fast we switch a load or how much soap we add to the load. We just tried the vinegar suggestion online and haven't done a load since, but I thought I would pre ask suggestions from anyone here that has had that trouble.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Suggestions on ways to clean a washer? Recently after each load our clothing has a not great smell to them. Its not from leaving clothing in there too long before drying, this happens no matter how fast we switch a load or how much soap we add to the load. We just tried the vinegar suggestion online and haven't done a load since, but I thought I would pre ask suggestions from anyone here that has had that trouble.
Few other things you could try. Have you cleaned the filter on it? (It's usually at the bottom corner at the front). Have you taken out the liquid/powder drawer and cleaned behind it? Have you cleaned the rubber seal around the door as dirt often collects behind it? Have you cleaned the stand pipe the water runs into? Could be worth pouring some drain cleaner down there.

Also, always leave the door open if there's not a load currently going through a cycle.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017

There are rental companies that serve as the middlemen between the owners of classic cars who are willing to rent them by the day and the movie studios that need them.

How classic cars get featured in movies

Here's how it works. You list your car with one or more of the companies that provide classic cars to the industry. They call you when a need for your car arises. You agree to provide the car at a specific time and day, they cancel on you, and you start all over again. In most cases this will be repeated several times before your car actually "gets a job." The reason for this is because they are calling you to find out if your car is available, and if so, can you provide it when they need it? They will do this with several car owners, and then they provide photos and descriptions to their client to make the final choice. Eventually you'll make the cut. When you do, you'll sign a contract outlining the particulars such as the fee you'll get paid, the period of time they'll need the car, who will transport the car (you or them), the use for the car (indoors or outdoors, moving or static, etc.), and liabilities.

You won't get rich doing this. The typical fee is anywhere from about $300 - $800 per day unless you have a rare or special car in which case fees can rise dramatically. Because of these rather modest fees it's important to make sure that the rental company has appropriate insurance, and to be clear what they will be responsible for. Remember, the rental company is just a middle-man. The production company will actually be using your car.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Few other things you could try. Have you cleaned the filter on it? (It's usually at the bottom corner at the front). Have you taken out the liquid/powder drawer and cleaned behind it? Have you cleaned the rubber seal around the door as dirt often collects behind it? Have you cleaned the stand pipe the water runs into? Could be worth pouring some drain cleaner down there.

Also, always leave the door open if there's not a load currently going through a cycle.
Thank you! I will check on these things!

grang

Nov 13, 2017
There was I thinking that studios had huge car lots and garages with old, well kept and maintained cars.
My mom does extra work and often she'll see casting calls specifically for cars of certain colors and years. Granted, we are in Boston---I'm sure in larger filming areas like Hollywood there are rental services specifically for studios. But she's told me it's common for them to ask for "silver station wagon from 1990 - 1994" or something like that.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm looking for this gif, but can't quite seem to find it
There's this black guy with a hat that's riding on a jetski and while he's turning around he has the most disgusted look on his face

Nov 5, 2017
1) Alerts for my watched threads only seem to appear randomly, if at all for some threads. Anyone know of any specific settings I should be looking at?

2) While looking for a solution I came across this setting and can't for the life of me figure out what it means (it's been a long year) - can anyone explain it please?
Persistent Alerts Enabled
If enabled, you will be alerted/emailed (based on your settings) for every post in a watched thread as long as you have no unread alerts for that thread. If disabled, you'll only be alerted for new posts since the last time you viewed the thread.

I have a feeling the setting in my second question may be what I need to enable to resolve my first question but clarification would be grand

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
So I got my first ever iPhone a couple years ago. I transferred everything from my android and that worked well.

Just the other day I set up a new iPhone for a new provider and....I did the iCloud transfer thing I think? But huge amounts of my contacts (notably android users) are absent as well as their messages.

Is there a transfer everything option from iPhone to iPhone like there is from an android to iPhone? And if not, why would there not?

Thanks for any help!

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I got my first ever iPhone a couple years ago. I transferred everything from my android and that worked well.

Just the other day I set up a new iPhone for a new provider and....I did the iCloud transfer thing I think? But huge amounts of my contacts (notably android users) are absent as well as their messages.

Is there a transfer everything option from iPhone to iPhone like there is from an android to iPhone? And if not, why would there not?

Thanks for any help!

Could be that you ran out of backup storage space in iCloud or have the Save Messages in iCloud setting disabled.

Try a local (iTunes) backup?

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Is anyone familiar with slack? For no good reason, my slack calls have started picking up the audio from youtube videos in chrome. Can I fix this somehow? Google isnt helpful :(

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried Vive VR for the first time-we have one here in the office. My mind is blown and I want one. The sticker shock is killing me. whats the cheapest PC I can get that will run it well? I'm not a PC guy so I'm out of the loop.

I just tried Vive VR for the first time-we have one here in the office. My mind is blown and I want one. The sticker shock is killing me. whats the cheapest PC I can get that will run it well? I'm not a PC guy so I'm out of the loop.

Honestly man, just work on saving as much as you can and build a very good PC, VR is only going to get better and better (and more demanding on hardware!) so it would be a better idea to start out with a rig that can handle everything currently. If you happen to have a PS4, the PSVR is actually pretty solid, but you've already been spoiled by the Vive so I feel like it would be a disappointment to you.

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried this a couple times, throwing out the call again:

Drafters, architects, consulting engineers around here - want to chat about software and design?

The graphic design and web design crowd here make me jealous I can't find like-minded folks in my field.

I'm mostly involved with Autodesk stuff, but have dealt with 12D previously.

Thanks in advance :)

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Back on the old board we had something called Private Message (PM)...is the Start a Conversation option on this board the same thing?

I just want to send someone a message but I'm not looking to chat in real time.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ran a speed test and I get 40mbps download / 6 upload, which seems fine............ but my internet is shit? Streams buffer all the time, and if I have a stream on while playing Fortnite, the game will sometimes freeze for 10 seconds, audio will get all f*cked up, etc. What's going on? Bandwidth or something?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I've heard about this in conspiracy theories, can you really be injected with cancer cells?

For this answer to be answered 100% certainty it would have needed for scientists to actually have tryed to do this =P

But my knwoledge of someone who is not related to any medical field is that THEORICALLY one of the reasons the cancer being so fucked up is the fact that it is recognized as a cell from your own body, so THEORICALY it would have the same problems as any transplant regarding compatibility and rejection, which means that your body would be more than willing to fight another person's cancer than said person's body.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ran a speed test and I get 40mbps download / 6 upload, which seems fine............ but my internet is shit? Streams buffer all the time, and if I have a stream on while playing Fortnite, the game will sometimes freeze for 10 seconds, audio will get all f*cked up, etc. What's going on? Bandwidth or something?

Ping and jitter are more important than high bandwidth for gaming. 6 mbps up isn't great, either, but should be sufficient for those purposes. Are you also sharing your network connection across multiple devices?

Try checking ping/jitter with https://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/ or similar.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
What's a good first tinder date

I've never been on a tinder date before, I don't want drinks because I'll probably have to drive. Just have a meal and don't get drinks?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ping and jitter are more important than high bandwidth for gaming. 6 mbps up isn't great, either, but should be sufficient for those purposes. Are you also sharing your network connection across multiple devices?

Try checking ping/jitter with https://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/ or similar.

My ping is fine, like 15 ms. I chatted with the internet people and legit they went away for a few min and then came back and said ok I fixed it goodbye lmao

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
So the games like Watchdogs(2013) and newly released Anthem are downgraded heavily on graphics side. I play on PS4 and i know its not that powerful hardware thus i understand the downgrade.

But my question is why is it also downgraded on PC? There are many people that have good graphics card and it would definitely be possible to run the game as it was shown on E3.For example low/medium details-PS4 graphics high-ultra -E3 graphics. But the whole game is just downgraded so even if you have 600+$ GPU only benefit is a bit higher resolution and some minor details/fps. Why just don't give E3 graphics for people that have good GPU?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So the games like Watchdogs(2013) and newly released Anthem are downgraded heavily on graphics side. I play on PS4 and i know its not that powerful hardware thus i understand the downgrade.

But my question is why is it also downgraded on PC? There are many people that have good graphics card and it would definitely be possible to run the game as it was shown on E3.For example low/medium details-PS4 graphics high-ultra -E3 graphics. But the whole game is just downgraded so even if you have 600+$ GPU only benefit is a bit higher resolution and some minor details/fps. Why just don't give E3 graphics for people that have good GPU?
Because if a game doesn't run well on Ultra settings on high end cards people complain about optimization.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
B
Because if a game doesn't run well on Ultra settings on high end cards people complain about optimization.
But even Crysis 1 back in 2007 didn't run that well on highest settings on powerful card but it was ok because it really used the whole potential of gpu and the graphics were ahead of its time

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It takes a lot of work to make an entirely separate rendering engine and detailed world, which is what would be necessary to match the bullshots and fake trailers. Devs are not just dialing back settings for release.