• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It takes a lot of work to make an entirely separate rendering engine and detailed world, which is what would be necessary to match the bullshots and fake trailers. Devs are not just dialing back settings for release.
I mean... For watch dogs that was exactly what it was since those settings could still be manipulated through config files.

The theory at the time was that Sony and/or Microsoft put pressure on Ubisoft to Nerf the PC release settings so their then new consoles didn't look immediately outdated. No idea how truthful that is.

crimsonheadGCN

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clifton, NJ
Is there anyway to disable the hosted channel of another streamer on Twitch? Sometimes I just want to check if their stream title changed or idle on the channel till their stream starts.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My father died 2 years ago and now my mom doesn't know what to do with the house that is under his name. She lives in the house but he did not leave a will. She is worried taxes are going to screw her now that she cannot claim the house and she doesnt know how to get the house under her own name if the mortgage is "un-assumable" Other than refinancing and paying possibly twice as much as she does now. Im not sure what to tell her or what the best coarse of action is.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
My father died 2 years ago and now my mom doesn't know what to do with the house that is under his name. She lives in the house but he did not leave a will. She is worried taxes are going to screw her now that she cannot claim the house and she doesnt know how to get the house under her own name if the mortgage is "un-assumable" Other than refinancing and paying possibly twice as much as she does now. Im not sure what to tell her or what the best coarse of action is.
Get a lawyer. Also if they are married she would be next of kin. At some point you should call the bank that holds the mortgage. The bank in most cases don't give a fuck as long as they get their money.

I will say this estate taxes do not affect 99% of normal people. Exactly two years ago my mom died, she had a 400k house a business worth a over a million and IRA and we still did not pay any estate taxes.

For federal taxes it has to be anything over 5.6 million dollars and for state MN it was anything over 1.7 million.

Obviously if your dad had a lot of debt not related to the mortgage those will have to be paid off before the house goes to you.

Estate taxes do not affect the 99%

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Get a lawyer. Also if they are married she would be next of kin. At some point you should call the bank that holds the mortgage. The bank in most cases don't give a fuck as long as they get their money.

I will say this estate taxes do not affect 99% of normal people. Exactly two years ago my mom died, she had a 400k house a business worth a over a million and IRA and we still did not pay any estate taxes.

For federal taxes it has to be anything over 5.6 million dollars and for state MN it was anything over 1.7 million.

Obviously if your dad had a lot of debt not related to the mortgage those will have to be paid off before the house goes to you.

Estate taxes do not affect the 99%
Thanks for the response.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I moved last year. In my old place I went to dental cleanings every six months. My dentist there never recommended any major work. A few days ago I went to see a new dentist, and he wants to put in six crowns, replace old silver fillings, and order a night guard. Total cost after insurance would be nearly six thousand dollars out of pocket.

Is it weird to go to another dentist for a second opinion? I've never done something like that and don't know if anyone who has regarding dental work, but this situation does not feel right to me.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I moved last year. In my old place I went to dental cleanings every six months. My dentist there never recommended any major work. A few days ago I went to see a new dentist, and he wants to put in six crowns, replace old silver fillings, and order a night guard. Total cost after insurance would be nearly six thousand dollars out of pocket.

Is it weird to go to another dentist for a second opinion? I've never done something like that and don't know if anyone who has regarding dental work, but this situation does not feel right to me.
That's not weird, it's a good idea.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Recently both Firefox and Edge have stopped being able to play most videos (Youtube, Twitter, etc). Most of the error messages are about not being able to play html5 video, and everything was fine up until a few weeks ago. Both browsers are up to date, running on a Win10 Surface Pro 5. Can somebody please just explain in simple layman terms how to fix this :(

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There was an episode in TMNT 1987 that had a great fight scene with turtles fought with some robots in a big room. Not famous robots like Mousers, but some bigger robots that (maybe) were only designed for that episode. Those robots weren't like these and I think (maybe I'm wrong) they were like big animals or dinosaurs.

7qpv_rex-1.jpg

I want the name of that episode! :(

nevercomehome

Oct 25, 2017
probably already been asked in this thread but i'm about to lose access to my work e-mail since i'm leaving. What are my options? I wouldn't want to be locked out of my own account since i'll no longer have access to the e-mail.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
probably already been asked in this thread but i'm about to lose access to my work e-mail since i'm leaving. What are my options? I wouldn't want to be locked out of my own account since i'll no longer have access to the e-mail.
For this website? You can PM an admin and ask if you can be switched to an alternate email, but don't lose your 2FA info or you're more likely to get locked out and need to rely on alternate contact methods.

Dec 22, 2018

If she wants to keep the house, she should immediately start paying off the back property taxes and start paying the annual property taxes going forward. Penalties and interest can snowball VERY quickly. If she doesn't pay anything, eventually the municipality she's in will take off the kid gloves and schedule a treasurer/ sheriff sale.

I agree with everything Stardestroyer said, and if at all possible she should get a lawyer. There should be a free legal referral service in your area that may be able to put your mom in contact with someone who will give her some advice pro bono.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
You know when you watch modern movies or TV shows that are set in the past? Could be 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's or earlier.

Where do they get all the cars from?? There are just plenty of cars from that era in the film. Where do the movie makers get them from?
There are actually people who have collections of vintage cars for rental purposes for films and music videos.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Pretty drunk and going to sleep in a second, so will watch/try to engage in discusion tomorrow,

BUT.....

If I search more leftist and conspiratory things on Google for a while, and than search for "5g" and get bad google finds. Is it because the google-alghoritm, or because the things that pop up first are the most viewed/trustworthy/most believed/...?

Edit:" bad google find"= negative 5 g news

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I wrote a mail today to my mother, let's say the adress is [email protected]
The mail never arrived but instead a few hours later I got a friendly mail from a (seemingly Russian) woman who told me she got this mail by mistake. I checked and her adress is [email protected].

How is that possible? I double checked, I definitely sent it without the "."
How, what and huh?

Also.. The name of the woman was displayed totally differently, she just has the same adress as my mother but with a dot.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wrote a mail today to my mother, let's say the adress is [email protected]
The mail never arrived but instead a few hours later I got a friendly mail from a (seemingly Russian) woman who told me she got this mail by mistake. I checked and her adress is [email protected].

How is that possible? I double checked, I definitely sent it without the "."
How, what and huh?

Also.. The name of the woman was displayed totally differently, she just has the same adress as my mother but with a dot.
Because google ignores dots. It's not a setting you can affect.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, good to know. But still... What happened here?
I wrote to my mother, Google ignored the dot in the other woman's adress and sent it to her? Why could the woman create the adress in the first place and why didn't my mom get it?
The point is that the email mailbox receiving that email is the same, irrespective of whether you put the . in the address. A few possibilities:
  • You made a mistake in the email address
  • The email was intercepted
  • Someone has access to your Mum's mailbox

1/3 are more likely than 2 I would think.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I want to keep my options open and might want to move later into the CS field: For my 2nd Major Should I choose Computational Mathematics, Mathematics or Applied Mathematics? (I can still take the others as minors)

Edit: My 1st Major is in Physics.

This one caught my eye. It's probably not going to make much difference but if you're interested in going from something like physics math to computer science you'll be well-served by going into computational mathematics as I'd say it's the one that's most immediately going to resemble the work you're probably doing right now. The specific decision is probably not going to affect your long-term success though; on some level, math is math.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
AV receiver question...

I have a Pioneer VSX-1020 that works perfectly fine once it's on, but it won't turn on unless I unplug it for a few minutes.
If I just turn it off, it won't turn back on until I unplug it again for a while.

I wouldn't think it's a fuse since it will turn on under certain circumstances. Also, when I unplug it or plug it in, I hear a physical click coming from the unit, like a switch flipping.

I'm about ready to start shopping for a replacement since I'm getting tired of this routine, but it's a shame since it works great other than that.

Any knowledge is appreciated.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I inherited a bunch of crystal glassware at the end of last year. It's been sitting in boxes in my home taking up space, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm not going to display it. I don't want to keep it, because I'm not going to use it. I'm thinking of selling it, but I don't know where I could reach an interested buyer. The brand is Waterford. There are three types of goblets - 8 pieces of each type. Looking on the company website, new ones retail from $75-85 for each piece.

Anyone sell this kind of stuff before?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If it's at least 20 years old you can sell it on Etsy as vintage glassware.
But that's some stuff that will cost a TON to ship due to its breakability. You might prefer a local consignment place even if you don't get back much money, due to the learning process for shipping glass.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If it's at least 20 years old you can sell it on Etsy as vintage glassware.
But that's some stuff that will cost a TON to ship due to its breakability. You might prefer a local consignment place even if you don't get back much money, due to the learning process for shipping glass.

Yeah, that's one of my main concerns. It's mildly exhausting alternately ignoring/thinking about what to do with this glassware.

p.s. Thanks for the advice :)

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how I can "fix" headphones when the foam around the ear parts start peeling? It leaves shit everywhere.
I've thought of covering it with tape but that'd just make them itchy.

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how I can "fix" headphones when the foam around the ear parts start peeling? It leaves shit everywhere.
I've thought of covering it with tape but that'd just make them itchy.
Yes, you often can. Search eBay or Amazon for replacement ear cushins for your model. You just have to be a little forceful to take them off or put them on, but it's often doable.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I figured I'd try it:

Back in January, one of my cats was sedated at a vet visit that day. My stupid ass just placed her on my bed to make her comfortable and she ended up peeing all over the bed by accident (right in the middle was a giant stain in a circle). I don't blame her. She was out of it at the time. It's my fault. So I ended up working the rest of the day and was going to deal with the mattress when I was done. Fast forward to the end of the day, and I find out my mother used fucking bathroom tile cleaner on the bare mattress to "help the smell go away" (she sprayed the top layer of the area). Yeah, it got rid of (most) it, but then it smelled like gross chemical lemon cleaner. I know this stuff is ridiculously toxic (obviously with all the chemicals in it) so I immediately became concerned that the mattress was ruined for good.

I used baking soda and a bunch of natural stuff via YouTube/internet guides to try to get the cat pee/tile cleaner smell out. Did it everyday for a week and got rid of most of the smells. The tile cleaner smell ended up overpowering everything else. After about a month of it just sitting in a spare room unused, I ended up buying a bunch of sheets/pads to put over the mattress. It has a towel (over the area), sheet, mattress topper/pad and then another sheet over it.

Is this safe to sleep on now? I'm afraid to sleep on it since what if the cleaner was absorbed into the mattress and I'm soaking in fumes while I sleep. I'm here for 6-8 hours. That's a lot of time to be sitting inches from a spot right where cleaner was used. Am I just being paranoid? It's been sitting in another room so most of the fumes probably have evaporated by now and with the extra layers, it should be okay to sleep on? I tried sleeping on it a few nights ago, felt uncomfortable (can't shake the worry about it being unsafe) and moved to another room.

I'd rather not buy a new mattress (this one is only a year old) but I don't want to risk my health sleeping on a potentially hazardous spot.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What's a good sofware / site to plan a roadtrip (europe) where you can just feed it the stops you want to make it, and it automatically organizes the whole trip? Microsoft autoroute does this, but the maps are older...

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
What is the correct way to clean a TV screen and it's edges without ruining it? I got a 50' 4K TV about a month ago and it's starting to get a bit dusty (only now, I know) but I don't know what I should use on it or buy to use on it.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
What is the correct way to clean a TV screen and it's edges without ruining it? I got a 50' 4K TV about a month ago and it's starting to get a bit dusty (only now, I know) but I don't know what I should use on it or buy to use on it.
If it's just dust, use compressed air to blow it away from the corners maybe?

Google mail "ignores" special characters (that are allowed) in the name part of an email address, so:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

... are all delivered to the same mailbox. It's actually quite nice, because you can use each of those for different things and filter based on which one it's sent to.

Nov 5, 2017
Google mail "ignores" special characters (that are allowed) in the name part of an email address, so:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

... are all delivered to the same mailbox. It's actually quite nice, because you can use each of those for different things and filter based on which one it's sent to.

Never knew this.
I'm assuming this is just for gmail addresses and not addresses that use gmail?

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I have a 2 TB external hard drive that is powered by an AC adapter, and a 1 TB external that is just powered by connecting to USB. The 2TB hasn't been used in probably 4 years and the 1TB in probably 2. Am I at any risk of losing data by just plugging them in? I know this definitely is a dumb question but I'm not sure if extended...I guess non-usage is an issue in data retention.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Anyone have any experience with ReBath or similar services for bathroom remodels? I've been wanting to redo my mom's bathroom because it's complete garbage. And specifically I was looking at getting her one of those walk-in tub/showers.

Not really caring about anything too fancy; I just want it to look nice. It's a small bathroom but it's 40+ years old now and just really needs a little bit of everything.

So if anyone has any experience I was wondering about what cost I would be looking at with going with one of these services. Do I have to pay for it all upfront or do they have monthly plans?

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to block a search on Twitter?

Basically I've gotten into a bad habit of checking the CS account of a place I used to work and it's been pretty bad for me mentally.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it wrong to steal back a gift that you gave someone?

I bought The New Jim Crow for a right-wing relative years ago and they never bothered to read it and have gone further right. I plan on stealing it and giving it to someone else that would appreciate the book lol. He probably won't even notice it's missing.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Is it wrong to steal back a gift that you gave someone?

I bought The New Jim Crow for a right-wing relative years ago and they never bothered to read it and have gone further right. I plan on stealing it and giving it to someone else that would appreciate the book lol. He probably won't even notice it's missing.

I would have said this is okay - there's no value in it being left with the current person, and they may very well just throw it in the trash or give it to a thrift/charity shop. Though this doesn't mean it's okay in other situations - there's an altruism here which wouldn't be present in, say, "I gave my friend expensive bubble bath for their birthday last year and they haven't used it. Can I steal it back and use it myself?" :)